Code of Conduct

Default HABANITA .. Wow !! .. Unisex or not ?

Anybody use this ?
    Can it be considered unisex ?
    I caught a whiff of this on a lady over the weekend and instantly was amazed .. incredible stuff & to think its formula is almost 100 old !!

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Default Re: HABANITA .. Wow !! .. Unisex or not ?

It's right on the line between unisex and female-only.
    The top notes are very feminine, but the base is very unisex.
    The usual advice for a man trying it is to use a light finger on the spray.

Great scent. Wearable by a man.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

It's wearable by a man, but carefully heed radix's advice about being light on the trigger.

Off-Scenter

Unisex alright, if applied lightly. See Ayala's excellent review in the Directory.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 9th March 2008 at 06:32 PM.

Last edited by pluran; 19th June 2010 at 03:44 AM.

Unisex. Apparently originally used to scent cigarette paper.

Check out this interesting history of the fragrance:
    http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...5/2859026.html

Easily unisex -- very much in the same family as Shalimar and Bal à Versailles.
    (Great Lalique designed bottle, too!)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 10th March 2008 at 03:50 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

In my never-humble-opinion, sex is in the nose of the smeller. This fabulous frag was originally created to scent cigarettes (!!) http://www.molinard.com/histoire_gb.php...and (for me) is totally unique.

AND - imnho - any guy - with the inclination - can carry it off.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I cannot afford By Killian's Back to Black, Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille nor Odori's Tobacco--so I bought this. (I think the BTB and the Odori are better than Tom Ford.)

Habanita is wonderful! I have the EDT and the drydown is a marvelous tobacco vanilla scent. And at less than $20 USD for the 50 ml--this IS a bargain! (Still will buy BTB one day, though... )
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Sur la Plage

Gee, I can't wait for all the people who have never tried this on their skin to weigh in with their "expert" opinion......
    Last edited by petruccijc; 20th February 2010 at 12:10 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

this is more masculine than Jaipur
    I'll be getting a bottle soon , as my decant has almost run dry .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    this is more masculine than Jaipur
    I'll be getting a bottle soon , as my decant has almost run dry .
    Molinard fragrances are wonderful. If you have the chance, try Teck. It's quite masculine. Hard to find here. Perhaps easier to find
    down under.

Hang on now. Tobacco Vanille? Back to Black? Really? This is reminiscent of those? Add another to my test list. Sounds great.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Great stuff, Habanita. I had the edt and really liked it--then my MOM took it. (The have family visit, lose fragrances phenomenon.) When I can I'm getting more, both for me and for gifts.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Habinata, it must have been interesting at some point, but it smells a bit like a compromise these days.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 20th February 2010 at 01:44 AM.

Habanita is more wearable by a man than the new Arpege IMO. I used to think it was way too feminine... then one day I put it on and I "got it." I have no trouble wearing it now... it's all about vetiver and vanilla to me.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 20th February 2010 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Habinata is not a good masculine, no, no, no. I hate to be such a b*tch, but Habanita is about as much fun as wearing the reformulated, women's Arpege. I just don't agree with Luca Turin, that reformulated vintage women's fragrances make good masculines, bad is bad and I deserve better.
    To quote Morrissey, "they make good graves."
    Aww maaaaan... At least we have Nico to agree on then.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Never be afraid of gender-bending!
    The unexpected is the most beguiling and seductive!
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

After reading Luca Turin's positive comments on it in "Emperor Of Scent" and his perfume guide, I'm planning to give it a try soon.

Cool Re: HABANITA .. Wow !! .. Unisex or not ?

...Anybody use this?...caught a whiff[...amazed ... incredible stuff...
    I'm buying some in another tab right now!

And thanks to the generosity of Her Serene Awesomeness NebraskaLovesScent, who was kind enough to send me a sample as lagniappeage with some venerable old Lanvin Dowagers - I'm wearing it!

I had so completely forgotten about the existence of this wondrous stuff, but I appear to be more excited about my Habanita sample than the Lanvins themselves, scrumptious though they are!
    ...Can it be considered unisex ?...

Just like Hové Vetivert**, my longtime traditional summer fragrance, Habanita will be shared by my husband and me, and as we are of different genders, and both of us are flagrant and lifelong heterosexuals, it is totally considered unisex in our house!

...to think its formula is almost 100 old !!
    Dude! It is so not "almost 100 years old."

I mean, really. You kids and your absurd hyperbole.

Habanita did not exist even as a perfume for cigarettes until 1921, and it was 3 whole years after that before it was marketed as a people fragrance.

It's called a calendar. Check yours. This is only 201 - ..... oh wait.

Well, umm...Thanks for hooking me up with this whole new perspective on the Xtreme Cage Match quality of my ancientness. I guess I hadn't really thought about it quite... like...that...

And of course this had to happen right when it's time for my Pills.

** The One True Vetiver. All those other self-proclaimed vetiver solirizomi are lame wannabes & posers & Hové Vetivert totally kicks all their asses, slices them for sandwiches, and serves them up on a premium artisan quality bun.
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

It seems that the EDP has now been re-issued: http://shop.lessenteurs.com/product/...nita_EDP_125ml

Last edited by pluran; 12th October 2010 at 10:27 AM.

To me, definitely unisex; outstanding scent, a masterpiece!

yep, unisex! in particular the parfum extrait.

I don't think it is clearly unisex - the opening notes are remarkable femenine, so I would discard it as a "before leaving" fragrance to be worn by men on social occasions. I can't recall the exact notes but identified clear floral - aldehydes top notes later morphing into an oriental composition. I regreted these top notes, for mid and base notes are wonderful (I even thought of which notes would make of it an HabanitO, its male counterpart)

In this sense, there other options - for example, yesterday I tried Pierre Cardin's Choc and Paco Rabanne's Metal: I found the first one to be a masculine-inclined unisex fragance marketed to women and the second one a clear femenine one but not too clearly "missy" - it even reminded me of a Signoricci 2 with lots of jasmine in it.

Of course, this does not mean you can wear Habanita if you just don't give a damn what oher people might think of you, if you apply it very lightly or a considerable time before leaving home.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    I don't think it is clearly unisex - the opening notes are remarkable femenine, so I would discard it as a "before leaving" fragrance to be worn by men on social occasions. I can't recall the exact notes but identified clear floral - aldehydes top notes later morphing into an oriental composition. I regreted these top notes, for mid and base notes are wonderful (I even thought of which notes would make of it an HabanitO, its male counterpart)

In this sense, there other options - for example, yesterday I tried Pierre Cardin's Choc and Paco Rabanne's Metal: I found the first one to be a masculine-inclined unisex fragance marketed to women and the second one a clear femenine one but not too clearly "missy" - it even reminded me of a Signoricci 2 with lots of jasmine in it.

Of course, this does not mean you can wear Habanita if you just don't give a damn what oher people might think of you, if you apply it very lightly or a considerable time before leaving home.
    Always good to hear your thoughts, Pollux.

I managed to snag a bottle of this over the summer. I bought it blind, but this was something I had been tempted to pick up. It was cheap enought. But to be honest, Habanita does come across as a powdery concoction to me. I am a bit tired of powdery scents. I did know it was going to be powdery, so I can accept that. But, Habanita is a bit too powdery for me.

I was a bit lured in with descriptions of Habanita's story. Cigar roll's ....etc. 1924......etc. Sounds cool and hip to me. But as a SotD ? Not right now. Are there better older fragrances out there ? Yes.

I need to sample it more. But overall I am not that impressed. Its mostly better to wear at night, IMO.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I purchased this and tried wearing it, couldn't pull it off. I was too feminine, at least on me.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    I don't think it is clearly unisex - the opening notes are remarkable femenine, so I would discard it as a "before leaving" fragrance to be worn by men on social occasions.
    I think that the best of the vintage perfumes and colognes were meant to be worn that way - thoughtfully applied while getting dressed for evening, with plenty of time for them to fully develop as you got the house in order for leaving and headed off for rendezvous. Ever notice how some of the traditional masculine scents also don't hit their stride until they've been worn for an hour or two?

So whether your choice is Habanita or Knize Ten, Grey Flannel or Chanel No. 19, if you spray it on in the car just before heading up to the office, you deserve a few odd stares (or worse!)

That said, most of the feminine frags I wear do feel more suited to formal, rather than casual, occasional wear.

I wear it all the time. I have a gigantic bottle of it and plan on always having it in my wardrobe. If people are curious about this fragrance, I came across a ton of official samples of Habanita the other day. I could pick some up and trade if anyone is interested...

Oh God, I'd wear it in a heartbeat. No problem, it's less feminine than Hammam Bouquet which is one of my all time favourites.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I would say that Habanita is definitely a unisex frag. In fact its opening notes are reminiscent of masculine classic Habit Rouge. The main difference seems to be that it is a bit more floral... but I appreciate the "pepperiness" of the scent as it opens, and the leathery nature of the scent as it dries down. Definitely useful as a unisex. If you have problems with the opening, just give it a little while before going out with it on.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

I love Habanita but I never wear it. It's extremely masculine to my nose. I first smelled it it the air long time ago. Tried to pinpoint the man who wore it but noticed it was a lady nearby. Asked her and she told me it was Habanita. I always thought of it as a masculine frag. I can't pull it and I wear Grey flannel, Brut, Jaipur PH and a few other. I love the way it smells on a man. Will get it soon for my DH and on him it smells divine

Unisex? Yes, at least for me.

Besides, it smells way too good not to wear!

Red face Re: HABANITA .. Wow !! .. Unisex or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nevena View Post
    I love Habanita but I never wear it. It's extremely masculine to my nose. I first smelled it it the air long time ago. Tried to pinpoint the man who wore it but noticed it was a lady nearby. Asked her and she told me it was Habanita. I always thought of it as a masculine frag. I can't pull it and I wear Grey flannel, Brut, Jaipur PH and a few other. I love the way it smells on a man. Will get it soon for my DH and on him it smells divine
    Shows what I know !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

@Nevena... I never smelled it as masculine. OR feminine. Just a very, very nice scent. (it probably has associations with memories that make is seem more masculine for you?) But that's just fine... particularly since it smells wonderful on your DH.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Gee, I can't wait for all the people who have never tried this on their skin to weigh in with their "expert" opinion......
    I would second that without the irony. Habanita may develop very stuffy on your own skin. As opposed to others, who take a whiff or two from time to time the wearer finds himself exposed enduringly. This may show up some peculiar edges - take care (at least a full wearing) before purchase.

btw: the "metallic blood accord" of decomposed organics (fermentation) is smelled here for the first time in perfumed history, "ashtray" too. The vetiver/vanilla combo herein is rendered rough, nearly dirty and mean as opposed to Fat Electrician of ELDO.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 11th October 2010 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    @Nevena... I never smelled it as masculine. OR feminine. Just a very, very nice scent. (it probably has associations with memories that make is seem more masculine for you?) But that's just fine... particularly since it smells wonderful on your DH.
    I concur with Luna that this is gender neutral. It is all very relative. Some state the tobacco is masculine, while others contend it's feminine with the powdery vanilla.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I've heard this is somewhat similar to Reflection Man. Can anyone confirm or deny that? If it is.. imma have to test it!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    ... I need to sample it more...IMO.
    It is amazingly interesting the way Habanita polarizes points of view on this issue, maybe because of its complexity?

The point being, any man trying to answer to this question will only be able to get the right answer after giving it a full trial. Rest assure, after all these comments, and specially after Actias', I will have to do so.
    Last edited by Pollux; 11th October 2010 at 11:35 AM.

I have one spray on my arm at the moment. It ( Habanita) certainly is different than what I am used to wearing. Even some of the more powdery scent I have sampled ( Caron 3rd Man...etc) usually clobber me with vanilla, so this is a nice change of pace.

Habanita EDT surprisingly feels a bit "rough", actually. I think I neef a full trial as a SotE ( evening or night is better for this scent, but that is just my opinion).

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Habanita is always good for surprises, isn't it?
    I think we should congratulate Molinard for still coming up with the current lovely EdT!!! I actually prefer it to the vintage EdT.

I've had a bottle for years and I've never been compelled, whether it was on me or my girlfriend. If I had to recommend it, it would be for a woman, but even though it's fairly well made it always feels a little cheap and unnecessary.

It's something that always feels best when it's removed.
    Last edited by pluran; 12th October 2010 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I've had a bottle for years and I've never been compelled, whether it was on me or my girlfriend. If I had to recommend it, it would be for a woman, but even though it's fairly well made it always feels a little cheap and unnecessary.

It's something that always feels best when it's removed.
    +1...

I get the picture with Habanita (which is important to me with fragrances) and I wouldn't want anything but the "cheap element" you're referring to. It's not something I reach for all too often, but when, it feels so right. If I want the Habanita accord done the luxury way I reach for Enslaved (Extrait).

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    I instinctively looked around for a man who smelled of the scent I sensed in the air and that shows my brain registered it as masculine. I do not agree with a gender division and think one should wear what pleases him. I can't pull Habanita. When I was a child one of my teachers, a beautifull tall, slim blonde, smelled of what I later foun out was Brut. I recall thinking it was a strong, unusual and intoxicating, not very feminine scent. It never crossed my mind it was a masculine scent. I can wear Brut (although I don't) but not Habanita. Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevena View Post
    I instinctively looked around for a man who smelled of the scent I sensed in the air and that shows my brain registered it as masculine. I do not agree with a gender division and think one should wear what pleases him. I can't pull Habanita. When I was a child one of my teachers, a beautifull tall, slim blonde, smelled of what I later foun out was Brut. I recall thinking it was a strong, unusual and intoxicating, not very feminine scent. It never crossed my mind it was a masculine scent. I can wear Brut (although I don't) but not Habanita. Fact.
    Never said you could, Nevena. (read the "but that's just fine...particularly since it smells wonderful on your DH." part.)

The world is made up of individuals and each individual experiences scent... individually! That makes the world a beautiful-smelling place (at least to that individual!)

Based on all the commotion, I bought Habanita EdT and am giving it a try today.

I'd probably need more wears to give a proper review, but fans of Knize Ten, L'Heure Bleue, and maybe Eau d'Hermès, might just like it. So far I do like it, and I can easily see a woman wearing it.

More masculine than some men's fragrances (yep, even GF,) it's still feminine in a way that Habanita must be one of the last things a father wants to smell on his daughter headed out on a date.