Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: HABANITA .. Wow !! .. Unisex or not ?

Oh God, I'd wear it in a heartbeat. No problem, it's less feminine than Hammam Bouquet which is one of my all time favourites.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I would say that Habanita is definitely a unisex frag. In fact its opening notes are reminiscent of masculine classic Habit Rouge. The main difference seems to be that it is a bit more floral... but I appreciate the "pepperiness" of the scent as it opens, and the leathery nature of the scent as it dries down. Definitely useful as a unisex. If you have problems with the opening, just give it a little while before going out with it on.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

I love Habanita but I never wear it. It's extremely masculine to my nose. I first smelled it it the air long time ago. Tried to pinpoint the man who wore it but noticed it was a lady nearby. Asked her and she told me it was Habanita. I always thought of it as a masculine frag. I can't pull it and I wear Grey flannel, Brut, Jaipur PH and a few other. I love the way it smells on a man. Will get it soon for my DH and on him it smells divine

Unisex? Yes, at least for me.

Besides, it smells way too good not to wear!
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

Red face Re: HABANITA .. Wow !! .. Unisex or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nevena View Post
    I love Habanita but I never wear it. It's extremely masculine to my nose. I first smelled it it the air long time ago. Tried to pinpoint the man who wore it but noticed it was a lady nearby. Asked her and she told me it was Habanita. I always thought of it as a masculine frag. I can't pull it and I wear Grey flannel, Brut, Jaipur PH and a few other. I love the way it smells on a man. Will get it soon for my DH and on him it smells divine
    Shows what I know !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Aramis New West, Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

@Nevena... I never smelled it as masculine. OR feminine. Just a very, very nice scent. (it probably has associations with memories that make is seem more masculine for you?) But that's just fine... particularly since it smells wonderful on your DH.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Gee, I can't wait for all the people who have never tried this on their skin to weigh in with their "expert" opinion......
    I would second that without the irony. Habanita may develop very stuffy on your own skin. As opposed to others, who take a whiff or two from time to time the wearer finds himself exposed enduringly. This may show up some peculiar edges - take care (at least a full wearing) before purchase.

btw: the "metallic blood accord" of decomposed organics (fermentation) is smelled here for the first time in perfumed history, "ashtray" too. The vetiver/vanilla combo herein is rendered rough, nearly dirty and mean as opposed to Fat Electrician of ELDO.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 11th October 2010 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    @Nevena... I never smelled it as masculine. OR feminine. Just a very, very nice scent. (it probably has associations with memories that make is seem more masculine for you?) But that's just fine... particularly since it smells wonderful on your DH.
    I concur with Luna that this is gender neutral. It is all very relative. Some state the tobacco is masculine, while others contend it's feminine with the powdery vanilla.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

I've heard this is somewhat similar to Reflection Man. Can anyone confirm or deny that? If it is.. imma have to test it!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    ... I need to sample it more...IMO.
    It is amazingly interesting the way Habanita polarizes points of view on this issue, maybe because of its complexity?

The point being, any man trying to answer to this question will only be able to get the right answer after giving it a full trial. Rest assure, after all these comments, and specially after Actias', I will have to do so.
    Last edited by Pollux; 11th October 2010 at 11:35 AM.

I have one spray on my arm at the moment. It ( Habanita) certainly is different than what I am used to wearing. Even some of the more powdery scent I have sampled ( Caron 3rd Man...etc) usually clobber me with vanilla, so this is a nice change of pace.

Habanita EDT surprisingly feels a bit "rough", actually. I think I neef a full trial as a SotE ( evening or night is better for this scent, but that is just my opinion).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Aramis New West, Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Habanita is always good for surprises, isn't it?
    I think we should congratulate Molinard for still coming up with the current lovely EdT!!! I actually prefer it to the vintage EdT.

I've had a bottle for years and I've never been compelled, whether it was on me or my girlfriend. If I had to recommend it, it would be for a woman, but even though it's fairly well made it always feels a little cheap and unnecessary.

It's something that always feels best when it's removed.
    Last edited by pluran; 12th October 2010 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I've had a bottle for years and I've never been compelled, whether it was on me or my girlfriend. If I had to recommend it, it would be for a woman, but even though it's fairly well made it always feels a little cheap and unnecessary.

It's something that always feels best when it's removed.
    +1...

I get the picture with Habanita (which is important to me with fragrances) and I wouldn't want anything but the "cheap element" you're referring to. It's not something I reach for all too often, but when, it feels so right. If I want the Habanita accord done the luxury way I reach for Enslaved (Extrait).

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    I instinctively looked around for a man who smelled of the scent I sensed in the air and that shows my brain registered it as masculine. I do not agree with a gender division and think one should wear what pleases him. I can't pull Habanita. When I was a child one of my teachers, a beautifull tall, slim blonde, smelled of what I later foun out was Brut. I recall thinking it was a strong, unusual and intoxicating, not very feminine scent. It never crossed my mind it was a masculine scent. I can wear Brut (although I don't) but not Habanita. Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevena View Post
    I instinctively looked around for a man who smelled of the scent I sensed in the air and that shows my brain registered it as masculine. I do not agree with a gender division and think one should wear what pleases him. I can't pull Habanita. When I was a child one of my teachers, a beautifull tall, slim blonde, smelled of what I later foun out was Brut. I recall thinking it was a strong, unusual and intoxicating, not very feminine scent. It never crossed my mind it was a masculine scent. I can wear Brut (although I don't) but not Habanita. Fact.
    Never said you could, Nevena. (read the "but that's just fine...particularly since it smells wonderful on your DH." part.)

The world is made up of individuals and each individual experiences scent... individually! That makes the world a beautiful-smelling place (at least to that individual!)

Based on all the commotion, I bought Habanita EdT and am giving it a try today.

I'd probably need more wears to give a proper review, but fans of Knize Ten, L'Heure Bleue, and maybe Eau d'Hermès, might just like it. So far I do like it, and I can easily see a woman wearing it.

More masculine than some men's fragrances (yep, even GF,) it's still feminine in a way that Habanita must be one of the last things a father wants to smell on his daughter headed out on a date.