Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Escentric Molecules : Molecule 01 and Escentric 01

Have anyone tried both fragrances of the above? The description mentions something about pheromone and it contains 65% of Iso E Super.

I tried Escentric 01 on the paper strip and I can't smell anything. The SA told me that I am not supposed to be able to smell but people around me can smell it. It can attract opposite sex.

Is it true? Somehow, it is just like advertising gimmick but the SA told me that it is popular. Price is S$242 for 100 ml and luckyscent price is US$135 for 100 ml (which is cheaper).

Default Re: Escentric Molecules : Molecule 01 and Escentric 01

I ordered samples of both. I could smell them both as soon as I dabbed them on. I don't know that it actually has pheromones, but I think they are trying to advertise that is has a similar effect. Yeah, I don't think so.
    I didn't care much for the Escentric 01, got a bit cloying...actually thought it smelled like an airier version of FM Iris Poudre. However, I became obsessed with Molecule 01, ordered a bottle as soon as I used up the sample. I read that Iso E Super is super cheap, but I like ready-made. I ordered it from Aedes and think it was worth every penny.
    Again, I can smell it - it's a soft cedar. It's what I wanted other woody scents to be - Tam Dao stuck me as very sharp- and more cedar, than sandalwood. Heely's didn't do it for me. Molecule 01 hit the spot.
    It's a soothing, comforting skin scent, and I get whiffs throughout the day, and on my coat or scarf. Others can smell it, although it lies close to the skin. I don't know about attracting others (I'm female btw), but
    I can't get enough of it.
    Last edited by leffleur; 9th March 2008 at 05:04 PM.

other people can smell it but I can't!!!@#?
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 9th March 2008 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    other people can smell it but I can't!!!@#?
    That's a shame.
    Maybe it's like musk for some people, the Iso? Maybe it is even used as a synthetic form (or added to a mixture) as 'musk' in many perfumes. Anyone know?

i sampled molecule 01 and liked it quite a bit...when i put it on i could smell a velvety soft wood, but then it disappeared only to resurface while i was working out...i would buy a bottle, but it is a little pricy for me in general.

Molecule 01 only just smelled of pepper to me and nothing else.

You can buy pure Iso E Super here:
    http://store.perfumersapprentice.com/arhz.html
    $6 for 10 ml. Then you could dilute it to 10% with a light citrus cologne such as 4711.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by ultranova3 View Post

Is it true? Somehow, it is just like advertising gimmick but the SA told me that it is popular. Price is S$242 for 100 ml and luckyscent price is US$135 for 100 ml (which is cheaper).
    http://www.iff.com/Ingredients.nsf/0...256993003995C6

You realise that you can order this from IFF in up to tanker car quantities?

On day 2 of wearing Escentric 01, I can say the scent is recognizable in some fragrances I tried or own (even Hermes TdH!). It has the effect of taking whatever you have on and ENHANCING IT.

Looking up Iso Super E, the main ingredient (or only ingredient if you believe the hype), it is used to enhance other scent chemicals while adding a bit of freshness and so on, though it itself isn't used a scent chemical typically. (Like how musks are used to enhance other scents, this chemical is used in a similar way)

So ... one could imagine that when worn, you are enhancing your normal, natural scent - as well as adding a bit woody-ambery-sweet smells on top of it. I do notice the normal smells around me to be slightly brighter and more saturated. (I am open to placebo effect possibilities, but I am thinking this may be the effect of this chemical on your scent perception in general when not crowded with a lot of other scent chemicals?)

While not overpowering in any conventional sense of the word, it is a heady scent though very subtle, too.

$100+ for a bottle of juice is a bit steep, but if this is the sort of thing you are after, and you don't want to save money by rolling your own (some perfumers alcohol and a jar of iso E Super would run a tenth of the price) this could be the ticket!
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 22nd April 2008 at 04:46 PM.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    ON day 2 of Escentric 01, I can say the scent is recognizable in some fragrances I tried or own (even Hermes TdH, i would be astonished if they didn't us eit). It has the effect of taking whatever you have on and ENHANCING IT.

Looking up Iso Super E, the main ingredient (or only ingredient if you believe the hype), it is used to enhance other scent chemicals while adding a bit of freshness and so on, though it itself isn't used a scent chemical typically. (Like how musks are used to ehance other scents, this checmical is used in a similar way)

So ... one could imagine that when worn, you are enhancing your norm, natural scent - as well as adding a bit woody-ambery-sweet smells on top of it.

While not overpowering in any conventional sense of the word, it is a heady scent.

Now the price of the bottle vs., the cost of the material and their marketing - who knows - but I do think the fragrance does have its uses.
    I believe you are confusing the two 01's here...

Molecule 01 is Iso Super E ONLY, while Escentric 01 is actually Iso Super E together with two other ingredients, which give it a top, heart and base note. Still very simple, but I kind of like this one. I would call it a 'triple-note' frag. Way to expensive tho, imo.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

I am yet to try something that induces nose fatigue faster 60 seconds and then gone. Molecule 01 has not pheromones whatsoever. This is the cologne for speed dating. It makes a strong impression but fades away quickly without giving a headache. I

Not worth buying for me. Couldn't smell jack.
    Nothing interesting, only Escentric 02 impressed me, then again it was pretty subtle and light to my nose.