Code of Conduct

Default Andre Sinan Eleusis

Does anyone know this?

http://www.andresinan.com/FRAME/ELEUSIS/PARFUM.HTM

I picked up a bottle over the weekend for very cheap. The shop was getting rid of their last few bottles. I just had a quick smell and it was good enough for the price that I bought it. I'll give it a wearing next week and report back on my findings.

The pyramid, from the above website, is:

Nutmeg, mandarine, lavender, rosemary
    Ginger, cinnamon, geranium, patchouli, vetiver, some kind of berry
    Myrrh, benzoin

The berry is listed as "Baie de Saint-Dominique." I wasn't able to figure out what that is. But it sounds kind of Caribbean, so maybe it's allspice. Anyone know?

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 9th March 2008 at 02:49 PM.
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Andre Sinan Eleusis

Hmmm... there's Dominique, the French name of the island of Dominica, an English-speaking island lying between two French-speaking islands, Martinique and Guadeloupe.

Then, there's Saint-Domingue, the French name for the city of Santo Domingo or the Dominican Republic.

Both are Caribbean islands, and when I think of Caribbean berries, I guess allspice is what first comes to mind. But in French, that's "piment" or "poivron."

I'm afraid that's all I can think of: maybe allspice?

Oh, and the name Eleusis evokes the ancient Greek cult of the Eleusinian mysteries, to which the website alludes indirectly.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 10th March 2008 at 02:13 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Default Re: Andre Sinan Eleusis

I stumbled across the fragrance name today. JaimeB correctly notes the connection of the name to the Eleusinian mysteries, a historical topic that interests me greatly.
    Noggs, I urge you to post a review of that, as there is nothing for Eleusis.
    I wonder if the whole line has gone belly-up. The link to their website is inactive. If they are clearing stock that might be the case.
    Here is all I could find on the 'net. But given the date, it is quite a dated entry.
    Any further info would be appreciated. Shamaballa for men and Shiva also sound interesting.

“Sinan re-launch, V.O kickoff set”
    WWD Holiday Fragrance supplement, Sept. 13 1985
    NEW YORK -- "Jean-Marc Sinan, Inc., is not here just as a tourist," said Andre Sinan, president of the French couture and fragrance company that carries his brother's name.
    The company has set up a fragrance division at 730 Fifth Ave., hired Lloyd Newman as its president and is geared up for the relaunch of the women's scent, Sinan, this month, and the launch of a men's scent called V.O. (Version Original) next.
    Both fragrances will be backed up by seven-figure advertising and promotion budgets, as well as supported at counters by newly hired sales representatives…
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas