Code of Conduct

Default The Best of Andy Tauer

Ok, ok - a brand spanking new Tauer convert here... I have just discovered "L'air du désert marocain" and it practically bought tears to my eyes. What an astonishing and truly unique scent!
    Many other Basenoters have sung Tauers praises for many months now, and having just today visited his site and thoroughly read through his blog, I have to say that he appears to epitomise that which niche perfumery is all about. He seems focused, driven and inventive, but also very humble. Now with this remarkable fragrance imbuing the air around me, I have just come to recognise that Tauer is indeed a true artisan.

Besides a full bottle of LDDM, I wish to make some sample purchases from Andy's portfolio...

Can anyone suggest maybe 3 of Andy Tauer's best scents besides L'air du désert Marocain?
    I would greatly welcome anyone's comments and suggestions

Thanks!
    Dimitri.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 10th March 2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo

Default Re: The Best of Andy Tauer

Lonestar Memories hands down. Try this one out. If you read the description of where Tauer got his inspiration for the fragrance it smells exactly like it every step of the way. Nice Leather, Woodsy, and Coffee notes go on there. I haven't tried the othe others but maybe the new Incense Rose. He only has about 5 or six so you'd only be missing out on 2 or so.

Hey, Dimitri! Welcome to the Andy Tauer Appreciate Society!

I've tried all of them, apart from Le Maroc, and am certain that Andy Tauer may live in the shadow of L'Air for quite some time. None of his other creations have been able to reach those heights, IMHO. My best advice would be to investigate his earlier fragrances, which possess very much the same level of quality and execution as L'Air. Personally, his new one (Incense Rose) comes a pretty close second but I still feel it's missing something. The only one I think you should avoid is Ręverie au Jardin - for me that was a rare mis-step.

Hallelujah!! We have another convert, folks!

Definitely Lonestar. I liked Reverie au Jardin, but I don't think it's his best. Incense Rose is great too.

Incense Rose seems to be getting quite a fair amount of hype, Incense Extreme less so. I'd go with the Rose and Lonestar Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Hey, Dimitri! Welcome to the Andy Tauer Appreciate Society!

I've tried all of them, apart from Le Maroc, and am certain that Andy Tauer may live in the shadow of L'Air for quite some time. None of his other creations have been able to reach those heights, IMHO. My best advice would be to investigate his earlier fragrances, which possess very much the same level of quality and execution as L'Air. Personally, his new one (Incense Rose) comes a pretty close second but I still feel it's missing something. The only one I think you should avoid is Ręverie au Jardin - for me that was a rare mis-step.
    Please don't avoid Reverie au Jardin. Just get a sample and see if it works for you. I love Andy's work, but the only frag I own a full bottle of is Reverie au Jardin. I wore it last week to work and one of my male co-workers commented how "you always smell so good in the morning, like a bouquet of flowers"

LDDM is definetely his best,Reverie au Jardin is not bad.Incense Extreme left me wanting more from the scent - it`s missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by frank06 View Post
    LDDM is definetely his best,Reverie au Jardin is not bad.Incense Extreme left me wanting more from the scent - it`s missing something.
    Incense Extreme is pretty okay. The problem I have with it is that I was expecting something with more... 'substance'. I'm aware of high percentage of incense oil/essence used to create this but I still found the use of the word 'extreme' misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Incense Extreme is pretty okay. The problem I have with it is that I was expecting something with more... 'substance'. I'm aware of high percentage of incense oil/essence used to create this but I still found the use of the word 'extreme' misleading.

I think extreme can be applied to his new one Incense Rose. I got sample yesterday. I'ts one of the strongest perfumes I've smelled ever. It's also a sillage monster. I think his Incense Extreme should be renamed" Incense Lite". Definitely misleading.

I literally fell in love with L'Air du Desert Marocain after sampling it a few times and now have a whole bottle (samples and bottle came from Lucky Scent) and have that feeling that I never want to be without it! I actually dreamed I was smelling that unique scent "personality" the other night.

I have a sample of Lonestar Memories which is REALLY different and I still can't quite make up my mind on it. (I actually ordered yet another free sample of LM with another order I made). You gotta try that one too! I have a sample of Reverie au Jardin but can't say I was wowed by it like with L'Air

My hunch is L'Air "towers" over his other fragrances - so - not wanting to dampen your enthusiasm for Tauer's Fragrances (Andy Tauer has my full respect as a parfumeur) - you really have to sample them individually. mikeperez23 has a fine review of Incense Extreme I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I think extreme can be applied to his new one Incense Rose. I got sample yesterday. I'ts one of the strongest perfumes I've smelled ever. It's also a sillage monster. I think his Incense Extreme should be renamed" Incense Lite". Definitely misleading.
    I second that!

Of the four that I sampled, I have ranked them (for me) as follows:

L'Air du Desert Marocain (a must buy - I now own a bottle)
    Incense Rose (a must buy)
    Lonestar Memories (excellent captivating bbq note) (a possible buy)
    Incense Extreme (I like thebeck's description - Incense Lite) (not for me)
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Institution

Dmitri I'm kind of surprised that you had never worn/smelled L'Air du Desert. I can still remember the first time I smelled it, I was grinning from ear-to-ear. It reminded me of crushed walnut shells, gingerbread cake batter and spices. The tar note is perhaps my favorite of all fragrances.

However, when I took my bottle to Puerto Rico last summer I really got to know the scent thru and thru - and I found it taking on a 'creamy' quality on my skin after about 3-4 hours. I don't like 'creamy' fragrances. So, when I finished my decant I decided not to replace it.

I still have a huge respect for the artistry, composition and structure of L'Air, but I'll keep my Ambre Sultan instead.

The other 'best' Tauer's? Well, honestly only two and they are both not available:

The legendary Orris. Incredible dark magnificence.
    And a perfume Andy never released, that he made a small batch and gave out to 100 people last year when he celebreated a milestone on his blog - named 'L'Eau d'Epices'. The scent was wonderful...it almost moved me to tears - it's that good. No idea when (or if) Andy's gonna release it.

Oh and I also was sorely disappointed by Reverie au Jardin. Not my cup of tea at all.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th March 2008 at 08:58 PM.

I appear to be in a minority, but I was never that keen on Orris.

It was so damn tart/acid that all I could think of when wearing it was... well, you know in those old Warner Bros cartoons where a character consumes a jar of something called "alum" and their face sucks itself in to the sound of stretched rubber? That.

Oh, and put me firmly in the "I will never part with my bottle of L'dDM" camp. It just doesn't have any weak points.

Lonestar Memories I shall be buying a bottle of soon; I love the ultra-macho birchtar and the swagger it adds to my gait.

Reverie au Jardin has grown on me; if Gris Clair... [everyone forgets the ellipsis!] is a moody photograph with subdued colours, then Reverie is the same photograph with the saturation waaay up, beyond natural levels.

I can't wait to try Incense Rose, judging by previews. All power to your, er, nose, Mr Tauer
    Last edited by simisker; 10th March 2008 at 11:19 PM.

I skimmed this quickly. When LDDM came to my attention and I got my first sample I was truly wishing I could corner the market on this, one of the best juices ever concocted.

Have you found the samples section in Andy's online shop?

Yes, I found them but am considering my options carefully. Maybe I'll just get one of each *groan*

Thanks for the feedback thus far everyone. I think the only scent that I feel may not float my boat would be Lonestar Memories. But then, you don't know until you try it, correct? Oh the drama!!!

Dammit, now I have to go back and see if I change my mind. I abhored lonestar memories but I don't ever recall trying L'air.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

they're all excellent, LDDM is superb.

You reading this Andy? see no snarky comments on your doubling the price on my beloved LDDM. I'm sorry the bottle got 50% smaller.

Great stuff at any price and when I see some of the review of the swill that's available and the prices attached...

LDDM has never had a poor review that I know of.

Looking back I consider Le Maroc, AT's first, the best of the lot even though I cannot wear it. It was made for women, but as it was well accepted by a few men right at the beginning, it's now also considered unisex. I can understand the popularity of L'air, his second, quite well. For me it's Kitsch, if on a high level. (Andy, kindly forgive me! You're still doing well with this one, also on Basenoters' hit lists. A little criticism cannot do it any harm .)

I was hesitant with Incense Extreme at first, but now I like it very much. This fragrance should be worn for it's magical power more than for your environment: it's like a fresh breeze to me, frees my mind and pumps speed into my gray cells! I'll sample Incense Rosé next time when I come by the Medieval Book Shop in Zurich.
    Last edited by narcus; 12th March 2008 at 04:34 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by simisker View Post
    I appear to be in a minority, but I was never that keen on Orris.

It was so damn tart/acid that all I could think of when wearing it was... well, you know in those old Warner Bros cartoons where a character consumes a jar of something called "alum" and their face sucks itself in to the sound of stretched rubber? That.
    I agree as well. Orris was completely meh to me - it just left me cold. As for L'Eau d'Epices, I can see why this was never officially released - it came across as an incomplete spicy/aldehydic mess. I really gave it many chances but ended up giving away my half-finished sample.

I totally respect Andy, both as a perfumer and a person, and always look forward to testing his latest creations. Some may disappoint but it’s always a pleasure to find out for myself. I just hope that Andy continues to create with his feet on the ground and his ego firmly in check. For as much as I love reading his blog, there's far too much diplomacy and exalting there (I’m sure even genuine constructive criticism would be frowned upon by the other posters). I'd like to think Andy reads views and reviews on other websites, while giving them equal weighting, in order to get a more balanced picture of how his work is received. All his fragrances are challenging, profound and unique, and I’d like all his future releases to continue being that way.

Andy has a Basenotes account as I know only too well. Seems I opened a thread regarding his Lonestar Memories bottle redesign...

Oh never mind.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 11th March 2008 at 08:47 AM.

So far, he has only admitted to be scanning BN from time to time. People on his own blog, and on the ones he has shown as links since the early days, indeed use a style that will never be mine. Seems to be contageous though . In direct conversation, Andy shows a good sense of humor. He also has very pleasant manners.
    Last edited by narcus; 11th March 2008 at 11:17 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I still have all the PM's we exchanged

he has 5 public posts total

this looks like the first thread he posted to

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=158430

oops - should have remembered that thread!

edit (http://community.basenotes.net/showt...56#post1011456, that's why I should have remembered, Frederick! )
    Last edited by narcus; 12th March 2008 at 04:31 AM.

hey narcus

here's one we're all on

those were the days

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...56#post1011456

Maroc is the one most often overlooked. Forget about the gender label and just spray it on. You'll note the resemblance to LDDM, but to my nose Maroc is a little more interesting. I don't see anything specifically feminine about it.

Lonestar also shares many notes with LDDM, or at least an overall vibe. But it's darker, heavier, and greasier.

Orris did not do much for me either. It's a cold blend with a sort-of sweet-but-medicinal quality to it.

I just got my LDDM decant today. I'm wearing it for the first time. I really don't know how I feel about it. I usually need some more time and after a few wearings, I can usually make my final decision about whether or not I enjoy it.

I've been wearing it for less then a hour now. I got lemons in the topnotes and something really abrasive smelling. I'll get back to it later, but I just find it lacking a bit in the quality department compared to the other niche scents I own. A tad bit too synthetic for me and not as refined as I was expecting.

Andy Tauer held a charming easter competition on his website today, awarding the first 50 visitors who "found the bunny" with a sample of Incense Rosé. I was fortunate enough to be in the top 50. Did any other Basenoter succeed in also securing a sample?

Still waiting for my LDDM to arrive, and now this vial of Incense Rosé.

i also was lucky enough to find the rabbit... very exciting! we'll have to compare notes dimitri. also: nice new sig!
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Nice work chad! I'll definitely be up to comparing notes.
    Whats the deal with perfume shipped TO Australia these days? When I lived in Perth, i know there was a ban on fragrance being shipped OUT of Australia, but do they ship still in? Just wondering because I have a heap of minis that id like to post home to mum.

Cheers re: the Siggy... this horde I cant bare the idea to live without! If you have a few faves of your own Id be happy to make you something similar. Just PM me.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 17th March 2008 at 08:57 PM.

Well, for me it's L'air du désert marocain too. It's a perfect representation of wood warmed on the sun. Reminds me of Ambre Sultan of Serge Lutens. But L'air is more delicate and subtile on my skin.

The second one would be Incense Rosé. For me it's very similar to L'air. L'air is a breath of hot wind in desert, Incense Rosé is a fresh swollow of oasis in the same desert. But it's still the same place in the same desert.

I would not nominate any for the third place. Or just share it between the rest. They are all masterpieces, butI don't know if I would wear them.

Dimitri, I think L'Air and Incense Rose are all you're going to need... but I could be wrong.

Unfortunately, I missed the bunny contest but I did receive my SECOND free sample of Incense Rose, from Andy, over the weekend. Because of this thread, I decided to order a sample of Le Maroc and got Incense Rose as a freebie! Now, a part of me just wants to buy a bottle solely based on Andy's great customer service but we'll see.
    Andy's such a cool guy...
    Last edited by Trebor; 18th March 2008 at 10:06 AM.

I love Ambre Sultan so it looks like I must have LDDM a try!

Based on all the recommendation thus far you must at least sniff L' air, Incense Rose, Lonestar Memmories and Reverie au Jardin.

L'air as everyone said is amazing, smelling it go through its stages transports you to the desserts of morroco - I can really smell the heat in the sand.

Incense Rose is also beautiful - it starts with a blast of frankincense and trailed by a well rounded rose.

Lonestar Memmories is leather bliss

Reverie au Jardin - some may not like this but I think you or your lady might enjoy it. I think this works well on female chemistry (not to say that this is a feminine scent). It is a beautiful interpretation of lavender with the Tauer twist. I personally love it and have received compliments on it - it works on Sydney's weather as well.

I have PM you regarding posting items to your mom.
    Last edited by orchid74; 18th March 2008 at 02:28 AM.

dimitri: i've ordered frags from both luckyscent.com and strawberrynet.com with no problems so far. i've yet to try and post outside aus, though, so i'm unsure. i'm going to attempt to follow your lead into the land of the graphical signature, so lets see how it goes!
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

L'Air is his best.

I managed to order a sample of Incense Rose & Incense Extreme from Aus Liebe zum Duft (Lucky Scent - didn't seem to have Incence Rose yet) Can't wait to try that one. I read somewhere that Incense Rose uses as an ingredient, of all things, Texas Cedar. My parents happen to live in Dallas, Texas in an area called "Cedar Ridge" which has all these cedars everywhere and which, I might add, give off a wonderful, soft cedar scent. I'm really looking forward to sampling IR & IE!

I love cedar. Open any cedar chest you come across and just inhale. When I was small I used to play in mine. My toy chest. Large enoung for 3 kids.

Incense extreme is suppose to be very minimalist. It is a very high concentration of Frankincense oil, and that's pretty much what the whole fragrance is built around. I might have not liked it before, but recently I have developed an special appreciation for frankincense.

Special stuff. One of the treasures of the ancient world.
    Favorite notes at this point: Sandal wood, Oud, Frankincense, Rose

Of course I would have to say Lonestar Memories because I am the person who suggested the name to Andy.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Of what I've tried - L'Air du Desert Marocain is the best IMO.

Lonestar Memories is my choice. L'Air lacks any sillage on my skin, and longevity is average. It smells good, but not as good as Lonestar in my opinion.
    I'm not a fan of Tauer's work, I like some of his frags, but I think i'd only buy Lonestar, maybe L'air.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only tried four of his work, L'Air du Desert Marocain, Lonestar Memories, Orange Star, and Incense Extreme. My vote is LDDM. Incense Rose and Le Maroc pour Elle are on my sample list.

Incense Extreme
    Incense Rose
    Rose Chypree
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain

That's how I rank my favs.

L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Lonestar Memories
    Incense Rose

Blog Entries

Le Maroc Pour Elle
    Une Rose Vermeille
    Lys du Desert
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

L'air brought tears to my eyes, too. But why does every perfume have tar, tar and yet more tar!!

LDDM and Une Rose de Kandahar are the one two I love. Noontide Petals is a pretty solid release also. The others range from ok (but better versions out there) to scrubber.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

LDDM, Orris, Vetiver Dance and Reverie au Jardin.

Basenotes Plus

LDDM - the classic
    Incense Extreme - nice Tauer take on incense
    Vetiver Dance - love this slant on Vetiver

And the dark horse:

Pentachord Verdant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

I'm going to have to try Vetiver Dance.

My favorite Tauers, which would easily make my Top 20 list:
    Lonestar Memories
    LAdDM
    Incense Extreme

Honorable mentions to:
    Orange Star
    Incense Rosé