Code of Conduct

Default Soft and powdery rose and sandalwood?

Last week I was out and smelled a wonderful scent on a Saudi guy. I was with someone else, the place where we were was very crowded, and I was too self conscious to try to figure out which guy it was and ask him about it.

It was a rose scent primarily, but also had some wood, and I think it was sandalwood. I didn't detect any oud, but there may have been a very very small amount of it. But I really don't think there was any oud. The scent was indescribably soft and caressing, and the rose and wood were in perfect balance. It wasn't sweet at all, but floral and woody. I wouldn't call it ethereal, but I've never smelled anything so very soft in texture and so powdery smooth.

Does anyone know what this might have been? I don't think it was a traditional Middle Eastern style attar. The traditional rose oil blends I've tried usually have oud and also don't have that sublime softness and powderiness that this had. It was truly incredible and I would like to find something like it.

I think it was probably a European scent based on Oriental ideas using rose and sandalwood. Does anyone know a rose and sandalwood scent that is not sweet, is unbelievably soft and powdery, and is perfectly balanced and harmonious? I sure would like to get some!

Thanks!

noggs

Default Re: Soft and powdery rose and sandalwood?

Montale's Attar comes to mind, as does my SOTE: Cabaret Femme by Grès.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet?

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120746.html
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Post Re: Soft and powdery rose and sandalwood?

Perhaps Egoiste ? Or Opone, Diptyque ?
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I'd go with Stereotomy's guess, Montale's attar does smell like stereotypical Eastern attar to my nose

Attar is a great recommendation.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

If you thought it was more European, I'd say Egoiste.
    If more middle Eastern, your description fits my experience with Montale Black Aoud.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Good try, guys, but I know that it wasn't Egoiste, Opone, Hammam Bouquet, or Black Aoud. I either own those or have knowledge of what they smell like, and the mystery scent was different.

Montale Attar is available locally, so I'll try to give it a sniff. I read the reviews in the database and I thought the aoud sounded too strong to fit the mystery fragrance. As I mentioned in my first post, I didn't detect any oud in the mystery scent. I do admit that there might have been some, but the rose and sandalwood completely dominated, and smelling it from a distance I didn't get any oud at all. But it might have been lingering in the background. If there was any oud at all it was extremely subtle.

Any more tries?
    Last edited by noggs; 10th March 2008 at 05:15 PM.

Attar has a bit of oud in the opening, but it quickly disappears and becomes a rose/sandalwood two note scent. More sandalwood than rose on me.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Lorenzo Villoresi Musk comes to mind. Or maybe something like 10 Corso Como.
    Last edited by DJB; 10th March 2008 at 09:01 PM.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Amouage Gold Cologne for men

I agree with DJB. Hello! LV Musk.

Bois de Santal.

Quote Originally Posted by DJB View Post
    Lorenzo Villoresi Musk comes to mind.
    I totally agree with this recommendation. Diptyque Opone is another one but it has a good amount of spice in it too.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Last week I was out and smelled a wonderful scent on a Saudi guy. I was with someone else, the place where we were was very crowded, and I was too self conscious to try to figure out which guy it was and ask him about it.

It was a rose scent primarily, but also had some wood, and I think it was sandalwood. I didn't detect any oud, but there may have been a very very small amount of it. But I really don't think there was any oud. The scent was indescribably soft and caressing, and the rose and wood were in perfect balance. It wasn't sweet at all, but floral and woody. I wouldn't call it ethereal, but I've never smelled anything so very soft in texture and so powdery smooth.

Does anyone know what this might have been? I don't think it was a traditional Middle Eastern style attar. The traditional rose oil blends I've tried usually have oud and also don't have that sublime softness and powderiness that this had. It was truly incredible and I would like to find something like it.

I think it was probably a European scent based on Oriental ideas using rose and sandalwood. Does anyone know a rose and sandalwood scent that is not sweet, is unbelievably soft and powdery, and is perfectly balanced and harmonious? I sure would like to get some!

Thanks!

noggs
    From your description there is one that smells exactly as you describe on me:

It's Czech & Speake #88 - A must have in any gentlemen's wardrobe IMO. You can purchase from them on there website at www.czechandspeake.com.

Post Re: Soft and powdery rose and sandalwood?

Really tough one. It does sound abit like Villoresi's Musk, although you mentioned this mystery fragrance isn't sweet at all. LV Musk is certainly sweet. No. 88 then again is obviously not sweet and it is floral and woody, but not at all powdery or soft. Also, it is highly unlikely that the given fragrance is niche - it's surprising that most of you are guessing fragrances that are very rare outside Basenotes. This is a long-shot, and might not be perfect fit for your description, but atleast it's widely available; I'd say it's Burberry Brit.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 12th March 2008 at 09:09 AM.

Hmm - are you familliar with Montale's White Aoud? After the Aoud fades away, it's very, very soft and fluffly. There's Rose and Sandalwood, though amber and vanilla are also strong giving it that fluffy soft aspect. That's what your description reminds me of.

Montale Attar is the only one I know that's straight up Rose and Sandalwood, might as well give that one a try as well, but it's more clean and bright vs fluffy and soft and it smells like a traditional Attar (though of high quality).

White Aoud Notes:
    Damas Rose, Safran, Oud, Cardamom, Jasmine, Patchouli, Mysore Sandalwood, Precious Wood, Amber, Vetiver, Vanilla, Labdanum

It's quite nice.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 12th March 2008 at 06:01 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS: