Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions from the experts (your help is greatly appreciated)

So, I've been reading all the reviews on this site and have tried at least 20 colognes in the last couple of months, but I'm still searching for a new fragrance. I've narrowed down the type of scent that I'm looking for in my head, but haven't found the EDT that fits it just yet. I'm hoping that some of you with your unsurpassed wisdom could help me find what I might be looking for.

I'm 25 years old and a musician. I have long hair and a beard and I'm American. I don't dress like a complete bum but I'm not extremely formal either. I'm looking for a second and possibly third fragrance that I could use in the fall/winter months and one for those "evenings out".

Currently my go-to signature scent is Lacoste Pour Homme. I wear this almost daily as I feel it smells great on me and is fairly light and unobtrusive. This winter I've gone through a lot of EDTs looking for something new and I've come close to what I'm looking for. I really enjoy Polo Double Black, but it takes a while (~ 2 hours) for it to settle down to where I love it. Before that it's a little to spicy for my taste. I also enjoy Armani Attitude, but we all know the problems that fragrance has.

So far I've been told that Burberry London might be something I'd like for the fall/winter months, so I need to try that. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I wan't something that smells manly enough but nothing that is way past my age group. Thanks for all your help.

- Josh
    Last edited by spilota; 10th March 2008 at 03:54 PM.

Default Re: Suggestions from the experts

Creed Bois du Portugal.

Default Re: Suggestions from the experts

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Creed Bois du Portugal.
    I think that might be little too strong of a fragrance for me. You can correct me if you feel I'm wrong. Plus, it's a little out of my price range. Let's stick to anything under ~$60 US for a decent sized bottle.
    Last edited by spilota; 10th March 2008 at 03:32 PM.

Default Re: Suggestions from the experts (your help is greatly appreciated)

Zino Davidoff would be perfect for you. There's a reason why Johnny Depp wears it.

Brooksfield Men comes to mind. Not too common, light, but interesting, well made but not expensive - at least in Europe.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by transmaniacon View Post
    Zino Davidoff would be perfect for you. There's a reason why Johnny Depp wears it.
    Thanks, I'll add that to the list of ones to try out.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Brooksfield Men comes to mind. Not too common, light, but interesting, well made but not expensive - at least in Europe.
    That could definitely work. It looks like I might have some trouble finding samples, but I'll look into it. Thanks.
    Last edited by spilota; 10th March 2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Caron 3rd Man is awesome winter would go with the beard...also Zino and M7, and heritage by Guerlain is Bois du Portugals cousin

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley_f5 View Post
    Caron 3rd Man is awesome winter would go with the beard...also Zino and M7, and heritage by Guerlain is Bois du Portugals cousin
    Excellent. I'll add them to the list. Thank you.

Keep 'em coming everyone. I really appreciate this, seriously. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
    Last edited by spilota; 10th March 2008 at 04:12 PM.

I might suggest Costume National's Scent Intense.
    I think style-wise it fits right in with the whole long-haired musician theme. Its unisex, and really rather interesting.
    Other picks: Gucci Envy, Narciso Rodriguez For Him and Vera Wang Man.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 10th March 2008 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I think style-wise it fits right in with the whole long-haired musician theme. Its unisex, and really rather interesting.
    I'm usually cautious of the unisex stuff, but I'll definitely try that one. Thanks.

Off-Scenter

If you can get ahold of it, Eau d'Hermes might be worth a try, along with Dior's Eau Noire, Comme des Garcons Avignon, and Yves St. Laurent M7. Guerlain's Heritage, Jicky, and Habit Rouge are all worth a try on the basis of quilaity alone. Finally, if you have access to Diptyque products, there's Eau Lente, which makes a very compelling cold weather evening fragrance.

Smile Re: Suggestions from the experts (your help is greatly appreciated)

How about Aramis 900 OR Van Cleef & Arpels (1978)

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. You've pointed out many frags I hadn't even considered. I've got a lot more testing to do.

I know a lot of you are more into the rare stuff, but if anyone has any more common (department store) suggestions, that would be great. I don't mind if someone else has the same cologne (hopefully not wearing it where/while I am at least), and they will be easier to find and test. Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    If you can get ahold of it, Eau d'Hermes might be worth a try, along with Dior's Eau Noire, Comme des Garcons Avignon, and Yves St. Laurent M7. Guerlain's Heritage, Jicky, and Habit Rouge are all worth a try on the basis of quilaity alone. Finally, if you have access to Diptyque products, there's Eau Lente, which makes a very compelling cold weather evening fragrance.
    I second all these. Also want to add Baldessarini Ambre, Prada PH, Rochas Lui, YSL Rive Gauche

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    I second all these. Also want to add Baldessarini Ambre, Prada PH, Rochas Lui, YSL Rive Gauche
    Very nice. Prada is already on my list. Thanks.

If you cant afford much over 60.00....Go with Creed samples.
    Their free and...you got CREED!
    Last edited by mttafire; 10th March 2008 at 06:22 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Suggestions from the experts (your help is greatly appreciated)

Or go to thepurfumedcourt.com for decants. They have Creed in any size.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    Or go to thepurfumedcourt.com for decants. They have Creed in any size.
    Yep. Good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Other picks: Gucci Envy, Narciso Rodriguez For Him and Vera Wang Man.
    if he thinks polo double black is "initially too spicy" you believe Scent Intense is the right choice for him?

I'd say.....go with Carlos Santana for men.......complex yet beautiful smell...plus....he is a great musician as well.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Armani Code is widely available. A really nice, non-expensive yet likeable, warm scent. If I were a musician -and I'm regretting all my life that I'm not- I would happily wear it when playing.

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    if he thinks polo double black is "initially too spicy" you believe Scent Intense is the right choice for him?
    Polo Double Black has not passed under my nose as yet, so based purely on his posted requirements, I put the Scent Intense forward. A "bad boy of rock" can definitely pull this one off.

Rive Gauche
    Narcisso Rodriguez
    Bvlgari Black

All of those I'd regard as a bit rough but cerebral at the same time, dark, edgy. Prada is a nice suggestion but is very soft and sweet for a long haired rock star. All three should be testable at your local department store, nos. 1 and 3 are very cheap on eBay.

Ged
    --------------------------------------
    And maybe Ungaro III too.... many people here think it has a dark vibe, I find it bright and fresh with a lovely floral heart, either way it's a kickarse fragrance, again available ridiculously cheap on the bay.
    Last edited by Ged; 10th March 2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Basenotes Institution

Gucci Pour Homme (the original, not the II version)

Not strictly for fall/winter, but you need variety during any season.

Czech & Speake No.88
    Patou Pour Homme Privé
    Balenciaga Pour Homme
    Loewe Pour Homme
    Frederic Malle Noir Epices
    Montale Black Aoud
    Dior Jules
    Jacomo Ambro
    The Different Company Rose Poivrée
    Mazzolari Vetiver
    Rochas Eau de Rochas Homme
    Last edited by pluran; 10th March 2008 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Gucci Pour Homme (the original, not the II version)
    Tried it. I liked it's warmth but it smelled too much of woods and incense on my skin for my taste.

Sur la Plage

How about YSL Kouros or Body Kouros

Thanks everyone for all your help. I think I have enough new scents to try out, but if you have one or two more to add, feel free. I really appreciate all the advice. Later.

I'd second the Santana suggestion. It's a great scent that doesn't get near enough accolades around here. I've seen it for sampling at JC Pennys, you might want to check there.

If you are looking for something dark and brooding and yet a bit classy and elegant, (or if you play Death or Black metal ) check out Salvador Dali PH. Dark, smokey, a bit of incense, black roses.

Grey Flannel is an inexpensive scent that smells amazing. Very green opening - lots of violet - which dries down to a wonderful sandalwood base, going through a nice and clean/green heart with the violet and oakmoss. The first 15-30 minutes can be a bit tough (I used to hate the opening of this scent but have grown to love it), but it's worth enduring for the rest. This can usually be found for $12-15 or so for 4 ounces at TJ Maxx/Marshalls.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Cool Re: Suggestions from the experts (your help is greatly appreciated)

Hi Spilota!

We experts have a new policy regarding questions like yours:

Buy all of the Creeds and throw out any that smell old mannish to you. Then buy all the Serge Lutens and throw any that don't smell really masculine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok, OK, limited budget . . .
    Pluran's suggestions are great but I'll address good--- and relatively cheapo scents---that are winter frags ( Wait, it's the middle of March. Why winter? Well, never mind )

In no particular order:

1.Bulgari Black---urban, goth, casual, and --though labeled unisex, may be among their more macho offerings----Darth Vader would love it.

2.Cacharel PH---A warm fuzzy nutmeg frag that's masculine. It's also funky yet distinguished (don't ask me how, it's a mystery)

3. Geir by Geir Ness---a running joke, since some of us went nuts about it then there was a reaction and a counter reaction and---anyway, it might be too young for you, but get it anyway, Norwegian mountain scent, or so we're told.

I could go on, but these 3 are enough. In fact if we continue giving you suggestions you might end up spending more dough than buying all Creeds and SL's.

There are some reviews on everything we've mentioned which should help you. ( All of the reviews will come back on when our harassed adninistrator has time to tinker in cyberspace.)

In any case, good luck with your quest and welcome to the madness!

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 11th March 2008 at 05:19 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.