Code of Conduct

Default My first adventure in decanting.

So, after days of reading threads, I finally figured out what the Perfumed Court was and placed an order with them on Friday. I'm soooo excited. I did a selection of four 1.5ml spray vials.

1. Bigarade concentree
    2. L'eau d'hiver
    3. Terre d'Hermes
    4. Jardin sur le nil

I only realized after I placed my order that I'd done a straight Jean-Claude Ellena ticket, which I guess isn't as courageous as I'd like to have been, but having just finished "The Perfect Scent" by Chandler Burr, all four of these frags are discussed in detail so I wanted to experience them for myself.

I'm particularly excited about Terre d'Hermes. My mom got a bottle of Eau de Merveilles and I think it's delicious. I would happily wear it myself, but I read somewhere that Terre d'Hermes is kind of like a masculine version of Merveilles.

Would you guys like to hear my thoughts on this quartet when they get here?

Talking Re: My first adventure in decanting.

Would you guys like to hear my thoughts on this quartet when they get here?
    Uhm, nope.

(so, now what? )
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 10th March 2008 at 10:25 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Default Re: My first adventure in decanting.

Yes, please let us know what you think and how they compare to your expectations.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Re: My first adventure in decanting.

I for one, will be patiently awaiting your reviews of these fragrances,once they arrive, and you test them.
    Welcome to basenotes.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Thanks for the welcome!

I am particularly interested in the Bigarade concentree. I like citrus a lot, but I'm bored with a lot of people's approach to them. Also, I found the rumored "skin" smell to be an inducement. A lot of frags that are popular in the US are kind of overly-clean. Someone I read said "Bigarade" smells like "a cab driver peeling an orange". And I thought, "Hm. Is that a <i>sexy</i> cab driver?"

Some people have said that l'Eau d'hiver is way too feminine for male wear, but if I find that to be the case, I'll just take it to my mom the next time I go visit her in my home town and see what she thinks of it.

Again, thanks for welcoming me to the fold, here.

Basenotes Institution

Welcome - looking forward to reading your thoughts after you sniff them. Do yourself a favor and give them two full complete wearings before you make a quick assesment of them. Those four scents are pretty complex fragrances and they should not be judged based upon sampling just once IMO.

I love all of them, except for L'Eau d'Hiver which I found too powdery for my tastes.

I also think that Terre de Hermes is a great fragrance and should not be labeled as Eau des Merveilles for men. Terre de Hermes is overall a sparkling woody fragrance, conjuring up images of flint, earth and dried leaves. Eau des Merveilles is a citrus and ambergris prominent scent, evoking the beach, ocean water and a slightly sweet orange accord. If you want a 'mans' version of Eau des Merveilles then try the Parfum des Merveilles which has the same basenotes as EdM, but with a slightly boozy accord in the middle and an amped up patchouli accord in the base.

Welcome to Basenotes Very nice choices, and do let us know what you think.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at