Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Red face Re: Fragrances that evokes a sense of melancholy

That's great, Mario. Thanks. I am seldom handed new associations with fragrances that take so immediately. It's a gift for someone to give you a new layer of association with something you already love.
    And that opening sequence from White Nights. Baryshnikov is amazing to watch, and Taylor Hackford has invented one of the only imaginable convincing pretexts for ballet dancing alone in a room like that. Although I suppose if I could dance I'd do it
    Many thanks for a very rich post.
    All this talk of melancholy has me reaching for Cuir Mauresque and thinking that leathers generally have a very private feel to them. Partly because leather is a fragrance that is, or so it seems to me, very much out of fashion right now: too animalic, too intimate, too much the feeling of being in someone else's space. And so there's a suggestion of loneliness to a fragrance like CM that combines beauty with solitude.
    I suppose for me if melancholy has an emoticon. And really I think part of the reason that natural selection has backed melancholy is that it doesn't. But if, I'm saying, it's more like this: (see top left).
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 14th October 2008 at 11:35 AM.

Default Re: Fragrances that evokes a sense of melancholy

Fahrenheit takes me back to my early 20s and some nice memories, so does Cacharel pour Homme.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Nicolai New York makes me very melancholy.

Bel Ami by Hermes makes a bit nostalgic for the mid-80s, but only a tad melancholy.

Ralph lauren blue. Reminds me of the fall of 2003 . So sad and hurt over a break up . I remember wearing that scent and listening to coldplay "warning sign" . Gosh I still miss him. But I wear that scent now and smile a little cuz along with the hurt also comes the good memories.and those are so priceless. Mariah carey says nothing can compare to ur first true love and she's right. So that fragrance will always be my first true love. I'm crying now.. I'm such a sap lol.
    Last edited by blacklibran1; 15th October 2008 at 05:00 AM.

Cool Re: Fragrances that evokes a sense of melancholy

Thank you gentlemen, some remarkable insights which I was too tired to find.---

--Duh where did qwerty's thread go?

Strollyourlobster: I have NEVER heard it said before but I think you may be right on about leathers:

" All this talk of melancholy has me reaching for Cuir Mauresque and thinking that leathers generally have a very private feel to them."

-------------------

Joe_Frances: Maybe that's part of the past of Bel Ami? BTW ever tried Eau d' Hermes? If ever there was a " private" leather masterpiece . . .

jethanas: Cacharel PH for me conjures up past Christmas with absent family, loves and friends!
    The Ghost of Christmas Past?
    * sigh*
    Don't worry, folks I won't post any links to Dickens acted on the web--You can find them on your own if you're interested.

Hey, blackbiran! As long as we're brokenhearted over past loves

( Isn't that a working definition of human?)

Here you go:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...=brokenhearted

Pax,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

31 Rue Cambon (Chanel) has a melancholy feel to me.

I must try these.
    This is the best thread, ever!

I will get back to this when I think of something.

Melancholy in a "cold" sort of way:

CS No 88
    Penhaligon's Bleinheim Bouquet

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I love how the same fragrance can give such different impressions. My holy grail is another man's dead fish, and No. 88 that's depressing others reminds me of grape crush - a happy scent to say the least, if not something I want to wear regularly.

Melancholy is the right word, I think - I can't say any fragrances make me sad so much as evoke a reflective, introverted, sombre mood.

CdG - Avignon. Oddly enough, not a cathedral for me, but my own set of memories invoked by frankincense.

Laura Tonatto - Oltre. A cold rainy day by the sea. Nothing more complex than that, but a good picture of that.

PdE - Cuir Ottoman. Leather and old perfume and a touch of decay and crushed Parma Violets. An old woman's purse with a new pair of shoes inside.

Serge Lutens - Sa Majeste La Rose. A dew covered rose just beginning to fade.

If I'm feeling melancholy (a rare occurrence), I would want to wear a fragrance that would snap me out of it, not enhance it!

EN PASSANT makes me feel a little wistful sometimes. Wistful's OK, in moderation.

I like this thread a lot! I had wanted to start one on "haunting, introspective..." but this one came along and it embraces those things.
    I find it so interesting the moods and memories that can be evoked by scent, and also the images...
    I'm wearing a great scent today. Zagorsk in the Comme des Garcons Incense line. Several have said that incense notes give a contemplative sensation. Zagorsk has incredible dry, austere tones of pine and birch and incense. It is kind of a wintery scent, and yet not frosty. I enjoy the complex feelings it evokes in me.
    One I need to revisit is Sienne en L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie. I remember it as being a very fall-winter scent, very memory-evoking too.
    Cheers! in an introspective way :-)
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Bogart original
    Gucci PH
    Jacomo de Jacomo ( the first 20 minutes )

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Melancholy in a "cold" sort of way:

CS No 88
    Penhaligon's Bleinheim Bouquet

TNMA
    I definitely get melancholy from of CS #8.

M de Morandiere by Marc de la Morandiere

A special someone gave me the perfume Yanbal- Ohm
    Yanbal is wellknown in South America
    Whenever I miss her I use this one, reminding me of the time we spend 2gether

I do enjoy scents that have a sense of melancholy, that is happy with being sad. I find the emotion very introspective. Because the two emotions are so polar opposite, it really makes you think. That is great emotion to evoke in a fragrance, because it really makes you stop and look at it for what it is.

No. 88 would be my favorite of this genre, but the others that have been listed are great!

Cool Re: Fragrances that evokes a sense of melancholy

Strange that I didn't think about this before: My mother wore a great many scents, so there's no particular one that I associate with her.

However, my father--both when we were living in Cuba and later when he went into exile in South America wore, like so many men of his generation, Bay Rum. Up until the day he died that was it---his signature scent. No, I don't remember what brand.

Perhaps that's one reason why I've never found a Bay Rum which I like to wear often--even Havana.
    I miss him.

Pax ' all

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.