Code of Conduct

Default What's so great about Creed?

I'm noticing that certain names around here are greeted with a kind of universal awe. What is it about Creed products that inspires such worshipful devotion?

I live out here in the sticks, so the one perfume place at the mall has only one Creed, "Vetiver". I tried it on precisely once. I put the tiniest dab on the inside of my wrist and suddenly, I smelled like a giant, walking version of Indian dessert that I tasted in London in 1991. Or an expensive sachet in an old lady's drawer. It just wasn't for me.

The thing is, the damn stuff wouldn't wash off. It followed me around all day until finally I had a pounding headache and kind of a weird, queasy craving for vindaloo.

I guess I've just answered my own question here. It only takes a tiny bit and it lasts all day and it quickly works itself into the environment around you. Which is great with a smell you like.

So, what do you guys love about Creed? Which one is your favorite? Which would you recommend as a first purchase? I like green smells, grapefruit, and I'm a sucker for bergamot. I'm interested in a grassy smell for my next big purchase, something summery. A friend suggested Green Irish Tweed. What do you think?

Default Re: What's so great about Creed?

This should help you out. 20 pages filled with Creed threads:

http://community.basenotes.net/searc...d=396982&pp=25

These ones should help you start off with the questions you had:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ighlight=Creed
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ighlight=Creed

Good Luck!

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    What's so great about Creed?
    There is no answer to this question.

I'm sure there's at least a couple of members here who will gladly take time to enlighten you on the sheer greatness that is the house of Creed .
    Last edited by knightowl; 11th March 2008 at 05:38 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I was just wondering if it was something like this (from the Vanity Fair profile of Calvin Klein):

"Calvin...remembers lots of conversations about the costs of things, a subject which interested him even then. "I would se grapefruits in the fruit and vegetable department, and some of them were 29 cents a pound and others were 49 cents.' I'd ask, 'What's the difference between the two?' My father said, 'Some people like to pay 29 cents a pound and some like to pay 49 cents.' I thought, Hmmmm. I learned later that's the fashion business to a great deal.'"

Capice?

You can't base your entire opinion of Creed on a Vetiver that was made 60 years ago lol. Some people may argue that the older Creeds are better, but I am of the opinion that Creed has turned up some masterpieces in the last 25 years. Buy a sampler set, you might answer your own question.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

I don't care for vetivers so I can't help you out with that, but I can tell you that their Bois du Portugal is a fantastic masculine scent. I'll be trying Erolfa soon in anticipation of the summer and the beach, and expect it to be excellent, as well.

Post Thanks / Like

They're pleasant smelling, and reasonably strong in the opening. The drydowns on many
    don't seem to last as well as I'd like, and they often share a very common drydown accord,
    but I happen to like the Creed "house note." The Private Collection Tabarome is amazingly potent
    and long lasting and reeks of class and old money. I think Bois du Portugal is first class.
    MI happens to smell good to me too. Many of them I can live without just fine.

It's a good house with a good variety of offerings, but I do wish they had more variety in their
    drydowns. Having said that, some of my very favorites are Creeds.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 11th March 2008 at 07:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just buy a few sample vials and see if they're for you. I would suggest Green Irish Tweed and Bois du Portugal for starters.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: What's so great about Creed?

Ahh Grasshopper, One must find out this answer for one's self !
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Wink Re: What's so great about Creed?

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    What is it about Creed products that inspires such worshipful devotion?
    Cheaper than penis enlargement. :brolly:

Quote Originally Posted by Nitromusk View Post
    Cheaper than penis enlargement. :brolly:
    I am so with you on that. I have nothing against Creeds, just can't find any Creed scent that would justify the price. Other than that, many houses get praised here. Hermes and Chanel and Malle and Serge Lutens. And they all have pretty wide range of scents. So I generally expect higher quality from these hoses. Which does not always translate into liking them.

Post Thanks / Like

And remember the rip-offs don't smell like Creed at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I love Green Irish Tweed.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there is an answer for this one. I do enjoy some of their scents--much less than previously--but I don't find them to be the ultimate house in fragrance. So, what makes them so special? What they do have is time/history and a very large selection of men's fragrances. You take a house like Guerlain, for instance, which has a very celebrated history and a large wardrobe with several masterpieces, you find very few men's fragrances. (Given, those that are marketed for men are sublime.)

Creed, on the other hand, and along with an image and advertising campaign, has loads of classic scents specifically for men. Perhaps this is what the draw is, and perhaps why you don't find the same level of "worship" on the female board.

In the end, it is up to you whether or not you find them great.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 11th March 2008 at 12:52 PM.
    You are not your perfume.

Post Thanks / Like

Royal English Leather
    Royal Scottish Lavender
    Vintage Tabarome
    Bois de Santal
    Santal Imperial
    Orange Spice
    Epicea
    Séléction Verte
    Baie de Genièvre
    Green Irish Tweed
    Bois de Portugal
    Néroli Sauvage

if you ask me
    Last edited by the_good_life; 11th March 2008 at 12:47 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

get some samples on ebay and get some of your favorite juice. do some tests.

Most Creeds smell great and last longer than anything from the big name designers. If you really like em you're gonna have to see if your wallet can handle them. They're not cheap.

There's no way you can judge a house by a dab of one scent. Narrow down your tastes to citrus, wood, floral etc. I mean do you like vetiver? I had to develop a taste for Guerlain's vetiver, often considered the best of the vetivers here. Now I love the stuff.

Check vetiver on wikipedia. In India it's used to calm nerves and I find it does have a nice effect on mood. But that may be just power of suggestion.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 11th March 2008 at 02:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should try

Original Vetiver (not the one you tried, simply called "Vetiver"
    Green Valley
    Green Irish Tweed
    Millesime Imperial
    and Bois du Portugal

If you try these few, you'll know whether or not to explore Creed a bit more...
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

yeah if you like bergamot don't forget to sniff the millesime imperial.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    You can't base your entire opinion of Creed on a Vetiver that was made 60 years ago lol. Some people may argue that the older Creeds are better, but I am of the opinion that Creed has turned up some masterpieces in the last 25 years. Buy a sampler set, you might answer your own question.

Absolutey, get a sampler set. Creed's do not work for everyone. My Wife and I share the love of scent. We have sampled nearly every Creed in current production and 99% of there scents on both of us are watered down and short lived. I don't mind spending money on scents that have strength and great lasting power. Creed's EDP's act like Eau de Cologne on my Wife and I. Creed is the most overrated house out there, but if it works on you, then your one of the lucky ones.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the lack of longevity and sillage in the older EDT Creeds. I hate "announcing" my cologne to everyone within 50 feet like so many other synthetic brands seemingly do. You need to be within my personal radius if you are to catch a whiff. Suits me just fine in my middle age.

Post Thanks / Like

What's so great about Creed? Sample their 36+ fragrances for men/unisex and you begin to realize that no other fragrance house in the world offers this much variety and excellence of fragrance - for men. Chanel and Geurlain have tons of frags for women, but who else has put out this much excellence for men? Try them and you are bound to find 4 or 5 that will become favorites. There will also be those you just don't like, but it's hard to not appreciate the effort. The line is just so broad and on balance - excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    And remember the rip-offs don't smell like Creed at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What about the scents that Creed blatantly ripped off? Let's not forget about that.

I really enjoy Creed scents. MI and Himalaya particularly. I just don't have the sources to purchase everything I'd please.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Post Thanks / Like

I've sampled GIT, SMW and MI. I don't get what the hype is about - or maybe Creeds just don't work for me. I'd far rather stick with my L'Artisans and Serge Lutens...

i think it's the all-natural powdered unicorn horn they use so generously.

I second what Samplermike and Buzzlepuff just said. When I wear Creeds, they smell incredibly good and last a long time, yet they don't blast out over a giant radius. The sillage stays within about 3-5 feet for most Creeds. And like Buzzlepuff says, they've devoted most of their efforts to creating great scents for men.

One can say that Creed is all hype, but it's simply not the truth. I'll never forget the day I was waiting tables and it was my first time wearing Creed Original Vetiver. When I leaned across the table to refill a water glass, my patron narrowed his eyes, looked me over and then told me that there was something aristocratic about me and asked me if I "came from money." I laughed a little, taken aback. He continued on, telling me that he had a suspicion that my family was rich and that I was just slumming it by waiting tables for something to do. Again I laughed. He wasn't saying that I was a bad waiter-- in fact, he complimented the fine job I was doing. But there was just something about me that day that radiated "upper class" and "money" to him. I know it was the Creed Original Vetiver. Hey, it even kind of smells like money.

People will say this and that about Creed, but I love the house. When I want something crazy and unusual, I go to my Comme des Garçons. When I want something confident and brash with sexual swagger that's a bit off-center I grab one of my Yves Saint Laurents. But when I want something that gives off that certain halo of class, that aura of relaxed unflappability, I reach for one of my Creeds. No regrets. None. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by wsr93 View Post
    i think it's the all-natural powdered unicorn horn they use so generously.
    Are you sure it isn't the rhino horn, tiger paw, or fossilized polar bear liver? Everyone knows unicorns don't exist...
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by heythatslife View Post
    I've sampled GIT, SMW and MI. I don't get what the hype is about - or maybe Creeds just don't work for me. I'd far rather stick with my L'Artisans and Serge Lutens...
    Hopefully saying this won't get me banished, but I must admit that I find none of the scents you listed worth buying, I find them all to be only ok. If this is all you have explored you (IMO) have not gone far enough. Creed is great and to me these do not represent the greatness of Creed. Sorry if I sound like an ad campaign.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmarlow277 View Post
    Hopefully saying this won't get me banished, but I must admit that I find none of the scents you listed worth buying, I find them all to be only ok. If this is all you have explored you (IMO) have not gone far enough. Creed is great and to me these do not represent the greatness of Creed. Sorry if I sound like an ad campaign.
    Maybe you're right. My opinion as of now is only based on those three that I've sampled. But I chose those because they seem to be the among the currently best-selling Creeds (I'm only guessing, so anyone who wishes to correct me, feel free to do so).

And no need to feel sorry at all, jmarlow. You aren't insinuating I'm a complete moron for not appreciating Creeds, or anything of the sort. I'll sample some more in the future, but right now I don't have high expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by heythatslife View Post
    Maybe you're right. My opinion as of now is only based on those three that I've sampled. But I chose those because they seem to be the among the currently best-selling Creeds (I'm only guessing, so anyone who wishes to correct me, feel free to do so).

And no need to feel sorry at all, jmarlow. You aren't insinuating I'm a complete moron for not appreciating Creeds, or anything of the sort. I'll sample some more in the future, but right now I don't have high expectations.
    Try BdP.

Most people like Creed products,some do not. Yes they are very pricy,but who here doesn't have a stupid expensive juice in their collection? Find out for yourself.
    My favs are Erofa,Green Irish Tweed,Tabarome,Neroli Sauvage.

These can change without notice when I buy more
    akdeluxe

Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe View Post
    Most people like Creed products,some do not. Yes they are very pricy,but who here doesn't have a stupid expensive juice in their collection? Find out for yourself.
    My favs are Erofa,Green Irish Tweed,Tabarome,Neroli Sauvage.

These can change without notice when I buy more
    akdeluxe
    I have a sample of Erolfa coming and am pretty excited about it as a potential summer frag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Creed doesn't offer Sex Panther.

Post Thanks / Like

There's something "prestigious" about Creed, like it's a status symbol, much in the same way driving a Mercedes might be. They're certainly not made for the general public's budget, and you're not going to find them in a drug store or Macy's, for that matter. They've been around for an awful long time so there's also the historical perspective as well.

That being said, just because a Mercedes may cost over $50K doesn't mean it's a great car. In fact, most of them have gone down hill in terms of quality and reliability. There's always going to be cheaper alternatives, and some of those may be better in quality--but the bottom line is it's another brand that fills a certain niche and there will always be people who prefer them over other fragrance houses just as somebody will always want a German car over a Japanese one.

Why pass judgment? A Creed is a Creed is a Creed. Take it or leave it. Are we talking Marx, Keynes or art, here?