Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile A*Men Pure Coffee Impressions

My pure coffee arrived today, from e-bay and ofcourse I couldn't wait to spray some on.
    Maybe not a smart thing, cause I just came home from nightshift and I haven't slep till now.
    Instant reaction: this put a smile on my face. Don't ask me why,maybe it's the nightshift, maybe I'm a retard, maybe it's just because I'm a confessed coffee addict, but it just did.
    First of ,I liked A*Men in the past, after some years wearing I got tired of it and soon it anoyed me, especially the tar note in it. As of today, I haven't worn A*Men along time, but I do know, I always enjoyed the coffee note in Amen. For me Amen was never about chocolate , but only woods and coffee, and the horrible tar and styrax note.

Pure coffee on first spray smells just like putting your nose above a pack of fresh coffee, when you just opened it. I like it, but the question imediately rised: do I want to smell like it? It puts me in an instant comfort zone, it smells cosy and warm. But how would I react if I smelled it on the guy , standing next to me? Would I laugh? On the other hand, we also like to smell of tea, incense and vetiver roots, so why not coffee.

After a full hour wearing I was happy to discover the smell changed from a loud cup of coffee into a more , close to the skin, woody base , with a slight hint of the Arabica coffee, with the original A*Men scent. The original Amen without the sweet styrax and tar notes, but only the coffee and the woody notes.

In short: I like it, it's not as sweet as say, Dior Homme, but haters of sweet and coffee fragrances should maybe avoid it. Lovers of coffee fragrances should at least try this.

I love the smell of coffee in the morning, but only for a few minutes. Do I want to smell it for an hour? But the same counts for tea fragrances, at least for me. And I do enjoy L'Artisans Tea for Two a whole lot.
    Comparisons to Mat Very Male (the black one) and CdG wood coffee comes to mind.

Is it gimmick ? oh yes, but a very good one.The packaging is like a pack of coffee beans and I like the bottle, with the golden star.
    Is this taken to be seriously? I'm not sure. Is fragrance a serious buissiness or do we forget sometimes fragrances is also about feeling good, enjoying all kinds of smells and having fun.

So in short: To me it's an improvement of the original A*Men, with a big 10 for originally for packaging. The fragrance itself: a 7 out of 10 It's better then most designer releases ,this year.
    Last edited by eric; 11th March 2008 at 02:26 PM.

Default Re: A*Men Pure Coffee Impressions

This does sound very nice. I dislike the tar note in A*Men too, so I may well check this out, if it becomes available in the UK. I do have a nice coffee scent already (Ava Luxe Cafe Noir, which has strong coffee and lavendar and is unisex) but I'm a sucker for Angel so we'll have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    This does sound very nice. I dislike the tar note in A*Men too, so I may well check this out, if it becomes available in the UK. I do have a nice coffee scent already (Ava Luxe Cafe Noir, which has strong coffee and lavendar and is unisex) but I'm a sucker for Angel so we'll have to see.
    Have fun trying to find a better coffee scent than Cafe Noir. IMO it's the creme de la creme of coffee scents. Only problem for me it doesn't have any lasting power so I'll be looking forward to Pure Coffee with hopefully the same 12 hour signature lasting power of A Men.

Yes indeed. I had and gave away CSP Vanille Mokha - that's a lovely coffee scent too but whereas Cafe Noir is black coffee, Vanille Mokha is a Starbucks iced vanilla latte. I liked it a lot but it was just a bit too sweet to be wearable for me. Maybe as a candle...

Basenotes Institution

My friend sampled it yesterday (he got a sample from one of the Mugler reps) and said it also reminded him a lot of A*Men, minus the heavy cloying notes. He liked it, but felt strange about it being released in Spring 2008, instead of Fall.

He said he'd give me the rest of the sample to test - so I should get it in a couple of days. I'll report back.

Wow, I can't wait to try this one, yet I too am kinda weirded out about its spring release date.

Eric, do you think this would wear well in the warmer months? I am a fan of A*Men also, but wouldn't dream of wearing it during the summer. It is certainly a winter frag, imo.
    You are not your perfume.

Basenotes Plus

I can't wait to try it!

Sounds like a striped down Amen. More striped down than Bmen. In fact, they should have called it Cmen. This way, alphabetic order would denote the relative state of complexity. I think I will stick with the devine coffee and spice in Armani Attitude!

mine is being delivered today too so....I can't wait to get home

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22 View Post
    mine is being delivered today too so....I can't wait to get home
    Please get back with us "rjrober" on this thread. I always value your opinions.

Sounds exciting. Does it last? Can someone post a picture of the bottle and packaging?

I wonder if it's any lighter than A'Men - why would they produce it in spring...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Sounds like a striped down Amen. More striped down than Bmen. In fact, they should have called it Cmen. This way, alphabetic order would denote the relative state of complexity. I think I will stick with the devine coffee and spice in Armani Attitude!
    CMen sounds like 'semen' - which is probably a little too risky for a department store fragrance.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    Sounds exciting. Does it last? Can someone post a picture of the bottle...
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th March 2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    Sounds exciting. Does it last? Can someone post a picture of the bottle and packaging?

I wonder if it's any lighter than A'Men - why would they produce it in spring...
    I forgot to ad, that its lasting power is incredible, comparible to that of A*Men.
    It's basically the normal A*Men with the coffee note enhanched.
    On me anyway. And it's not a lighter or stripped down version of A*Men by all means.

I'm also surprised it is released now, with spring coming. I wouldn't dream of wearing this on hot days, way too warm and strong fragrance. I'm keeping this for colder days.
    Last edited by eric; 11th March 2008 at 07:03 PM.

Ice Men is supposed to have an Iced Coffee smell in it, but I never noticed that. Glad to hear this Coffee*Men does contain a noticable coffee-note.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Eric, nice review. I'm looking forward to trying this one. I used to be on the TM mailing list and they've sent me samples of Mugler products in the past. I'm HOPING that one of these days an unsolicited sample will find its way to my mailbox.

I always liked that tar note in A*men. It separates it from stuff like Rochas Man, which I don't care for. I think a soft, sweet gourmand kind of scent needs counterpoint. That's why I like Hane Mori for Men's bitterness that balances out the sweet. Also, I think it's time for Mugler to get a different bottle design. I'm sick to death of the star-bottle design. It was really good what they did with the Summer version of A*men, where the blue bottle had a star-shaped chunk removed from it-- that was great design. But I'm just bored with the bottle design. I think it's part of why B*men never succeeded. It was too derivative marketing-wise.

Still, can't wait to try this.

Yes, the tar, chocolate and woods are addorable but somtimes, that sickly sweet aroma that others have regarded as cotton candy comes through. I love Amen but it not a scent I can wear in the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I love Amen but it not a scent I can wear in the heat.
    No one can wear A*men when its hot...

Well...this one is definitely a winner....definitely!
    It is lighter than A*MEN....but don't confuse me saying lighter with "weaker"
    It is powerful but not overbearing...not as harsh I guess you could say as A*MEN...but it is
    similar...I'm on Hour 6 right now and it is just now...maybe....losing its punch....but it is still ever-present
    and pleasant IMO. Its strange, but the name is Pure Coffee and I don't get an overwhelming coffee impression...What I do get is an A*MEN impression....I mean I was like...is this A*MEN I just sprayed....then 2-3 minutes go by and you can tell its not it....Mind you this is my first testing so I'm sure my opinion will change a little but I can tell you that this is an awesome scent....very good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    No one can wear A*men when its hot...
    Still it's a great clubbing scent where you can get noticed. No matter what temperature, just spray it on and GERONIMOOOOOO jump into the heat and take as many casualties with you as you can.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I wonder how this will compare to B*Men. On paper this whole Pure Coffee business seems like a relaunch of the not-actually-totally-discontinued B*Men.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    My pure coffee arrived today, from e-bay and ofcourse I couldn't wait to spray some on.
    Maybe not a smart thing, cause I just came home from nightshift and I haven't slep till now.
    Instant reaction: this put a smile on my face. Don't ask me why,maybe it's the nightshift, maybe I'm a retard, maybe it's just because I'm a confessed coffee addict, but it just did.
    First of ,I liked A*Men in the past, after some years wearing I got tired of it and soon it anoyed me, especially the tar note in it. As of today, I haven't worn A*Men along time, but I do know, I always enjoyed the coffee note in Amen. For me Amen was never about chocolate , but only woods and coffee, and the horrible tar and styrax note.

Pure coffee on first spray smells just like putting your nose above a pack of fresh coffee, when you just opened it. I like it, but the question imediately rised: do I want to smell like it? It puts me in an instant comfort zone, it smells cosy and warm. But how would I react if I smelled it on the guy , standing next to me? Would I laugh? On the other hand, we also like to smell of tea, incense and vetiver roots, so why not coffee.

After a full hour wearing I was happy to discover the smell changed from a loud cup of coffee into a more , close to the skin, woody base , with a slight hint of the Arabica coffee, with the original A*Men scent. The original Amen without the sweet styrax and tar notes, but only the coffee and the woody notes.

In short: I like it, it's not as sweet as say, Dior Homme, but haters of sweet and coffee fragrances should maybe avoid it. Lovers of coffee fragrances should at least try this.

I love the smell of coffee in the morning, but only for a few minutes. Do I want to smell it for an hour? But the same counts for tea fragrances, at least for me. And I do enjoy L'Artisans Tea for Two a whole lot.
    Comparisons to Mat Very Male (the black one) and CdG wood coffee comes to mind.

Is it gimmick ? oh yes, but a very good one.The packaging is like a pack of coffee beans and I like the bottle, with the golden star.
    Is this taken to be seriously? I'm not sure. Is fragrance a serious buissiness or do we forget sometimes fragrances is also about feeling good, enjoying all kinds of smells and having fun.

So in short: To me it's an improvement of the original A*Men, with a big 10 for originally for packaging. The fragrance itself: a 7 out of 10 It's better then most designer releases ,this year.

This is an awesome review. I cant wait to try this.
    Awesomeguy

I really don't get an overwhelming coffee note from this as I would have expected. Instead, I would say maybe a mochacinno or something, because the chocolate is the dominate note to my nose--sort of like a praline or something one might have with their coffee, rather than pure coffee itself. I have several varieties of coffee in my fridge and opened each bag, taking a deep breath, but I simply don't get much of a bitter, dark roasted arabica bean note at first whiff.

That being said, this is a wonderful fragrance. I got rid of my A*and B*Men some time ago, the original being just too cloying. Pure coffee, however, is a bit lighter to wear and seems to go through a nice change. At one point when there's a breeze, it does come off as somewhat candied, but it's in a good way and to my nose, gives it a bit more depth.

While I think it is strange to be a spring release, I do think it may be wearable in evenings during the summer months. Nonetheless, it's funny how coffee beans is what they give you to smell when you've been sampling scents for a while to freshen your olfactory, and here we are now with a scent that may actually give you a kick-start in the morning.

Basenotes Institution

I'm wearing Angel Men Pure Coffee today. I don't want to comment on it too much, since I need to give it a full wearing again - plus today, it is incredibly sunny and hot in Miami (not the best climate to wear a gourmand like this), but oh well...whadya gonna do?

- Top notes smell so coffee prominent, I started giggling when I applied it. Cafe Noir by Ava Luxe was the only fragrance I ever smelled that achieved this olfactory effect - now we have Pure Coffee. It is NOT the smell of a Starbucks coffee store (fresh grinded coffee beans) but rather the smell of brewed coffee (lifting the cup up to your mouth...your nose pressed up close to the surface of the coffee...inhale - that smell)
    - Fans of AMen will love this for sure - all the best parts of AMen, minus the tar/styrax.
    - The chocolate note mixed with the coffee note (which has already been mentioned above) makes me think of a Frappucinno or some other iced coffee drink equivalent. If you don't mind smelling like a frozen coffee drink, you should enjoy this.

I'll report back after another wearing - next time in the evening and/or cooler situation.

Where are you guys getting your bottles from?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

got mine on ebay...

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post

Basenotes Institution

I am wearing it from a manufacturer carded sample. Which goes to show you, when you're nice to the SA's in a department store, they can do little favors like this for you. Sometimes good deeds do go noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post

Pure Coffee comes in the large size only btw.

I get a mole effect: coffee, chocolate and green pepper coupled with the original base - strong vetiver, cedar perhaps.

Pls share when you can.

Mar)

Most of you describe how it compares to A*Men. Can you compare it to B*Men as well, please.

Sur la Plage

They had a tester and samples of A*Men Pure Coffee in Nordstroms today. Definite strong coffee opening notes, but then it settles down nicely and gets much creamier. I really liked it and will definitely be purchasing it.

The SA said it should be in the stores in a couple of weeks.