Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Default Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Hello everybody

    Well, as the topic title states, I want to know your opinion about these two frags. Let me add that I have Azzaro PH and I love it... and I want to buy a backup bottle of it. However I also saw Givenchy Gentleman at the place where I buy from and I now have to make a choice between Azzaro PH and Gentleman. The only problem is that I can't sample the Givenchy before buying as they dont have a tester.. so if I buy Gentleman its gonna be a blind buy.

    I'd really appreciate comments on how the both of these compare and should I go for Gentleman or just get my backup bottle of Azzaro PH.

    p.s. I love heavy/spicy/dark/woody/leathery frags and i'm open to suggestions

    p.p.s. I just bought Body Kouros blind and I totally dislike it
    Last edited by Amit; 11th March 2008 at 04:20 PM.


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  2. #2

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Get Gentleman. It's a different, distinctive scent.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    I second Givenchy Gentleman; it is simply fantastic. There is a certain old-school/20th century cool that comes across with this one.

    Azzaro is also nice, but if I were to choose I'd go with GG.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 11th March 2008 at 04:31 PM.
    You are not your perfume.

  4. #4

    Thumbs up Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Givenchy Gentlemen !

  5. #5

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Good grief! Another Azzaro PH vs. ????? thread.

    I too recommend Gentleman. I own both, like both very much (well, I like Gentleman more), and wouldn't want to do without either.

    Gentleman has quite a bit of patchouli as well as a little civet, and has a very different smell and feel than Azzaro. It's difficult to say whether or not you'll like it, and it's a shame that you can't test it. But it would be a significant change from the Azzaro.

    The shop won't open a box and let you try it? That practice seems pretty normal here, and I'm surprised that they won't do that for you. If I were you I would look for a shop with better customer service.

    noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 11th March 2008 at 04:38 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Good grief! Another Azzaro PH vs. ????? thread.

    I too recommend Gentleman. I own both, like both very much (well, I like Gentleman more), and wouldn't want to do without either.

    Gentleman has quite a bit of patchouli as well as a little civet, and has a very different smell and feel than Azzaro. It's difficult to say whether or not you'll like it, and it's a shame that you can't test it. But it would be a significant change from the Azzaro.

    The shop won't open a box and let you try it? That practice seems pretty normal here, and I'm surprised that they won't do that for you. If I were you I would look for a shop with better customer service.

    noggs
    haha yeah .. sorry, had to make this thread because of my dilemma

    The shop wont open a box for me to test, it's "if you want it, buy it.. or beat it" but the prices are great I think.. they have a 100ml bottle for about 28-30 bucks. Unfortunately thet's the only shop with that price range that I can go to and that stocks the Givenchy.

    I see all of you have recommended Gentleman, i'm certainly intrigued now... but there'a always that little fear in my mind about buying it and then not liking it as it happened with Body Kouros.. grrrrr.


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  7. #7

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Gentleman

  8. #8

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Gentleman is very good - avoid if you are not a fan of patchouli or civet.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  9. #9

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    I looked at your wardrobe and didn't see anything that I could point to and say that it was similar to Gentleman.

    I did notice that your wardrobe is mainly concentrated with newer scents marketed towards younger people. So I'll assume that you are relatively young.

    Gentleman, and Azzaro PH also, are generally regarded as being more appropriate for mature men. Now I've never followed that sort of reasoning myself, but it seems to be a pretty common way of thinking about fragrances these days. I don't know how you feel about that, but since you say you like the Azzaro, which is a strong fougere quite different than many of today's scents, you might also like Gentleman, with its mature man connotations. But remember that it smells completely different. Gentleman is a rich woody scent redolant of patchouli.

    Good luck with your decision!

    noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 11th March 2008 at 05:20 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    givenchy gentleman...hands down...

    well guys, it was me who suggested java green to go for Body Kouros....and boy seems he is regretting it a lot. buddy, i wouldnt mind buying it from ya...i just love it..

  11. #11

    Post Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Gentleman, apply with caution !
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

  12. #12

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    givenchy gentleman...hands down...

    well guys, it was me who suggested java green to go for Body Kouros....and boy seems he is regretting it a lot. buddy, i wouldnt mind buying it from ya...i just love it..
    Well if you're serious i'd gladly sell it to you, its brand new with box, sprayed only 2 times... IM me when you get online


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  13. #13

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Givenchy Gentleman!

    I think they're different beasts though

  14. #14

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    A few points:

    - I own and love both
    - Azzaro is more wearable
    - Gentleman is more classic, and on balance, is probably the superior fragrance
    - that is a v good deal on Gentleman
    - however Gentleman is not a blind buy type of fragrance

    Maybe it comes down to how badly you need a backup bottle of Azzaro? If you're almost out and know you really like it, get the Azzaro. If you've got plenty left in your current bottle, take the risk on Gentleman. If you don't like it, you can always sell it on and rebuy the Azzaro, which BTW will be around cheaply for a long time to come.

    Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

    Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

  15. #15

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Don't agree with any blind buy, but Gentleman is far superior IMO!
    Very Elegant Timeless Classic! Even a young gentleman in 21 century can wear it!
    Last edited by msi_21; 12th March 2008 at 05:49 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Just to update the thread, I went ahead and bought the Givenchy blind ... very old school and potent... love it

    Thanks to all of you for participating in the thread and recommending


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  17. #17

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Good for you. Especially since you already have Azzaro. I am sure you will be able to get another bottle by the time you finish this one. And since there is no rush anymore, you will always find it or good price.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    I came to this party late. I am glad that you ended up buying Givenchy Gentleman and that you love it. It is an excellent fragrance and one that I should wear more often.

    Azzaro Pour Homme is in the top tier of my collection. It is definitely a must-have scent for me. I am glad that it is getting some overdue attention here.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  19. #19

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I came to this party late. I am glad that you ended up buying Givenchy Gentleman and that you love it. It is an excellent fragrance and one that I should wear more often.

    Azzaro Pour Homme is in the top tier of my collection. It is definitely a must-have scent for me. I am glad that it is getting some overdue attention here.
    Agreed about the Azzaro, I couldn't be without a bottle. Thanks for discussing your thoughts


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  20. #20

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    I got here late too. I'm glad you got Gentleman and I agree with everyone's advice on the thread. Very good that you like the stuff now too!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I got here late too. I'm glad you got Gentleman and I agree with everyone's advice on the thread. Very good that you like the stuff now too!
    Thanks man


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  22. #22

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    For better results use it in moderation, I mean ONE spray from 30-40 cm distance...

  23. #23

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Quote Originally Posted by msi_21 View Post
    For better results use it in moderation, I mean ONE spray from 30-40 cm distance...
    I'd need to use more than that I think, I have dry skin... probably 3 sprays would do it.. one each underarm and one on the chest.


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  24. #24

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    I am going to go against the tide and warn you to be careful with Givenchy Gentleman. I own and adore Azzaro PH, but I can't stand Body Kouros and absolutely loathe Givenchy Gentleman. Luckily, I was able to test it at a department store, and I deeply regretted it. Extremely potent patchouli overdose with MEGA silage.....yuck. Certainly feels suitable only for those over 75 years.

    I suggest you either find somewhere to test it first or just buy the wonderful Azzaro.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Need to make a choice. Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro Pour Homme?

    Quote Originally Posted by aljinnie View Post
    I am going to go against the tide and warn you to be careful with Givenchy Gentleman. I own and adore Azzaro PH, but I can't stand Body Kouros and absolutely loathe Givenchy Gentleman. Luckily, I was able to test it at a department store, and I deeply regretted it. Extremely potent patchouli overdose with MEGA silage.....yuck. Certainly feels suitable only for those over 75 years.

    I suggest you either find somewhere to test it first or just buy the wonderful Azzaro.
    I bought the Givenchy already.. yes a blind buy, but thankfully I love it, the leather + patchouli got me... I do share your opinion about Body Kouros tho, I couldn't stand it either... arghh!


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •