Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 44 of 44
  1. #1

    Default Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    I was originally planning to add this to the current thread but realised that the last post was by myself. So, in order for these photos to be brought to everyone's attention, I've started another thread.

    I'm afraid I'm not an avid photographer, so I didn't have anything other than my mobile phone to take the photos I promised. Unfortunately, the lighting (and my not so great camera) made the task a little difficult. It also didn't help that the Harrods SA was getting very uncomfortable about the number of photos I was taking (6 or 7) - I even explained why beforehand!

    So, here's the evidence - judge it for yourself:







  2. #2

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Something makes me like it even more, especially in a bell jar!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Wonder what the reason behind the change is?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Here's something else as well:



    On the right-hand side is the SL spray bottle that most of us are familiar with (check the bulb in the red circle) and on the left-hand side is the new SL spray bottle but without the bulb (as shown in the circle). In addition, if you look closely at the necks of both bottles, the neck of the old bottle (i.e. the one on the right) is narrower than the neck of the new bottle. Why the change in bottles is beyond me but I have noticed that the caps are almost impossible to pull off the spray attachments of the new bottles (thus causing excessive scratching to the spray nozzle).

  5. #5

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    its like bizzarro chergui....strange!

  6. #6
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,005

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Thanks Trebor. Chergui sells well, but the general public usually likes green juice, and this is probably why they changed the color. As for the bottles? Doesn't seem like a big deal. Maybe someone else is making them. Like everything else, it's all about economics.
    Last edited by pluran; 11th March 2008 at 09:54 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Thanks Trebor. Chergui sells well, but the general public usually likes green juice, and this is probably why they changed the color. As for the bottles? Doesn't seem like a big deal. Maybe someone else is making them. Like everything else, it's all about economics.
    Is that a fact or are you just beating up on the unsophisticated masses?

    Anyone know how big a hit Gucci Envy men was?

    Green green Chergui...now that I think about it, a violet leaf or galbanum infusion in the Chergui formula would be a very welcome addition to the sweet-dry hay formula.
    -

  8. #8

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Trebor, thanks for the photos and the heads-up.

    The color change is fine with me, but I want to know if also the juice has been changed or reformulated and if any constituent ingredients of the juice have been removed or added. It happens so often that a successful fragrance is reformulated so that it is less costly to manufacture and is never again as good as it was prior to the reformulation.

    Chergui is a big favorite of mine, and it would be a serious loss if Chergui were cheapened. Very soon, I want to get my hands on some of this green Chergui juice and conduct a side-by-side comparison of the familiar light brown juice with this new green juice.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Like Rockford mentioned, I don't think they've made this change just for aesthetic purposes but rather to also change the rest of the formula. It's probably too early to talk about a loss of quality, but it's certainly worrying news. I'm looking forward to comparisons and really do pray for the best.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

    There is always the sky to look at

  10. #10

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Here is a photo my friend took of his bell jar:



    I am not sure though whether the color was originally like this or it has turned. I bought my own very recently, and there the color is still the good old brown.
    Last edited by Ascella; 12th March 2008 at 09:16 AM.

  11. #11

    Question Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascella View Post
    Here is a photo my friend took of his bell jar:



    I am not sure though whether the color was originally like this or it has turned. I bought my own very recently, and there the color is still the good old brown.
    Somebody please get an answer out of a reliable source because that green Chergui sure looks odd to me and put us out of our misery ,anyone would think it was April 1st looking at the colour of that bell jar Chergui.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    I have the rich colored brown juice. If you actually hold it up against a white fluorescent bulb (preferable the light emitted from your computer monitor), it turns into the shade of green in the first few pics. Maybe it was the counter display lights that made it look a bit green, but that bell jar looks a bit messed up.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 12th March 2008 at 11:19 AM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I have the rich colored brown juice. If you actually hold it up against a white fluorescent bulb (preferable the light emitted from your computer monitor), it turns into the shade of green in the first few pics. Maybe it was the counter display lights that made it look it a bit green, but that bell jar looks a bit messed up.
    I think the white background did amplify the greenness a bit...

  14. #14

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I have the rich colored brown juice. If you actually hold it up against a white fluorescent bulb (preferable the light emitted from your computer monitor), it turns into the shade of green in the first few pics. Maybe it was the counter display lights that made it look it a bit green, but that bell jar looks a bit messed up.
    I had the feeling some of you would have come to this conclusion but, due to the lack of opportunity to prove otherwise, it was very difficult to take a photo of the bottle away from the point of sale. What I can say is that, for the past year, the Chergui tester in Harrods was undeniably brown and always in the same area (which has always had the same white interior) - their most recent tester is green regardless of distance, light or angle of perception. I really wish I was wrong but, on this occasion, my eyes have concluded otherwise...

  15. #15

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    I seem to have the 'new' Chergui which Trebor took pictures of in Harrods although it's def. not the same green as in the Ascella's photo. I also have about 1ml left of the old juice and today I compared both side by side. No change has been made in the formulation apart from the colour, they both smell exactly the same, as far as I can tell. There's really no need to panic IMO.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    [...] their most recent tester is green regardless of distance, light or angle of perception. I really wish I was wrong but, on this occasion, my eyes have concluded otherwise...
    Thanks for the photographic confirmation, Trebor [and Ascella!]. There's no denying that it's not just a trick of the light now, despite what I and others suspected.

    Whilst this is obviously cause for concern over a change of formula, the fact that the green shown here is very similar to the green displayed by the 'brown' Chergui under certain light implies that maybe they've just removed the colourant that made it brown in the first place and left the perfume aromatically identical. After all, Chergui is a warm sweet fragrance where brown would be a better psychological choice. Also, given the gorgeous purple of Sarrisins, maybe Mr Lutens is feeling braver regarding colour choice; let's face it, most Lutens are fairly conservative/'natural' hues, so this might just be a new display of boldness.

    Anyway... those are my hypotheses, and I'm clinging desperately to 'em.

    Incidentally, I too have noticed the other change you've noted, Trebor: that of the newer - and I suspect cheaper to manufacture, if I may be cynical for a moment - spray mechanism. My 50ml bottles of Gris Clair and Chene have this newer spray, and yes, the caps are noticeably tighter.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    [...] Green green Chergui...now that I think about it, a violet leaf or galbanum infusion in the Chergui formula would be a very welcome addition to the sweet-dry hay formula.
    My curiosity piqued, I'm now wearing Chergui with a spray of good ol' Green Irish Tweed over the top. It's surprisingly good, but unfortunately it's also unsurprisingly expensive
    Last edited by simisker; 12th March 2008 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  17. #17

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    I sent an email to the Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido asking them about Chergui's change to the color green. This is the reply I received from their public relations department:

    Dear Sir,

    you will find here enclosed the answer of our marketing service about the color of Chergui:

    Thank you for your inquire mail concerning the colour of Chergui.

    In deed, Chergui was a very delicate fragrance and colour turned green when exposed under a strong light or a high temperature.

    Now, our laboratory has found the solution to stabilize the colour, so this phenomenon will not happen again.

    We regret to have surprised you, and thank you for your interest towards our fragrances.

    Best regards


    It was Ascella who first pointed out to us in another thread the phenomenon of the green Chergui, and she wondered if the juice had turned green over time. I wrote to Ascella that perhaps the Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido had noticed a tendency for Chergui to turn green under certain conditions, and perhaps they decided the best solution was to make the color of Chergui green in the first place in order to solve that problem.

    I also asked the Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido if the fragrance formula of Chergui had been changed along with the color. They didn't respond to that question.
    .
    Last edited by Rockford; 14th March 2008 at 04:08 AM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    We need some real chemists here to clarify the word "stabilize" .

  19. #19
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,005

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Is that a fact or are you just beating up on the unsophisticated masses?
    No, I read that a long time ago. But based upon what I read, one would think there would a lot more green juice out there.
    Last edited by pluran; 14th March 2008 at 03:49 AM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Today, I sent another email to Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido asking them again if, besides the change in color, the actual fragrance of Chergui has also been changed. I will, of course, share any answer that I receive from them on this subject.
    .
    Last edited by Rockford; 14th March 2008 at 02:27 PM.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Interesting!

    Now I'm rather colourblind - can anyone tell me if there is any difference in colour between these two bottles? And if they are the same - are they both brown or green? One is a 50ml bottle (which therefore comes from 2005) that I put in a bell jar that someone donated to me very generously and one is from the original bell jar which I got at a great price:





    REgardless of if the colours are different or not, one thing I did notice is that on the ingredients of the export 50ml bottle of 2005, there is a difference in the order of ingredients vs the ingredients on a bell jar.

    In the bell jar bottle the last three ingredients are colours, and on the 50ml bottle you have the same three colours, except in between the 3rd to last and 2nd to last colours you have Isoeugeniol and Eugeniol listed.

    Maybe they just upped the does of isoeugeniol and eugeniol - I have no idea what those are though!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 17th March 2008 at 10:00 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose



  22. #22

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Interesting!

    Now I'm rather colourblind - can anyone tell me if there is any difference in colour between these two bottles? And if they are the same - are they both brown or green? One is a 50ml bottle (which therefore comes from 2005) that I put in a bell jar that someone donated to me very generously and one is from the original bell jar which I got at a great price...
    First of all, the colors in the first photo are very different from the colors of the second one. Though the picture is heavily over exposed in the first photo, I think it gives a better idea about the actual color than the second photo. So judging from the first photo, I would say the bottle to the left is brown wich only a hint of green, while the bottle to the right is definitely green.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Thanks Ascella - it's hard to get the colours to come through without a lightbox, thus the overexposure and underexposure. The brown one is from the 2005 bottle, and the green is the more recent. Would it be sacrilege to mix the contents into one bottle? I don't detect any significant difference between the two in terms of scent, or longevity etc. I have these two bottles, and one sealed 50ml bottle. I was thinking of selling off the sealed one together with an empty bell jar and keeping the contents of both of the above bells in one jar.
    --------------------------------------
    Actually - I take back that there's no difference - the brown stuff is stronger for longer. I even used less of it than the green, but I can smell the "brown hand" more vividly than the "green hand" though this might have to do with batch variation than anything to do with the colours.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 18th March 2008 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose



  24. #24

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockford View Post
    Today, I sent another email to Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido asking them again if, besides the change in color, the actual fragrance of Chergui has also been changed. I will, of course, share any answer that I receive from them on this subject.
    This morning, I received the answer to my question from Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido. Here is the answer:

    Dear Sir,

    Only the coloration has been changed, absolutly not the fragrance and the smell...

    Best regards


    I think it is very possible that they have only changed the color. In fact, I think I might describe myself as moderately optimistic that only the color has been changed.

    That being said, I would still like to conduct a side-by-side comparison on my own skin between the old brown Chergui and the new green Chergui.
    .

  25. #25

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Thanks, Rockford, for your efforts. It's a 50/50 chance that they're telling the truth but, for now, I'll reserve judgement (especially with all the various hues of chergui seen in this thread so far).

    Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Actually - I take back that there's no difference - the brown stuff is stronger for longer. I even used less of it than the green, but I can smell the "brown hand" more vividly than the "green hand" though this might have to do with batch variation than anything to do with the colours.
    Would you say that the green Chergui smells 'fresher' than the brown Chergui? This is something I sensed when I smelt it on a Harrods ribbon (and the SA sprayed it with Chergui several times). A part of me felt that the green Chergui lacked the depth of the brown one but I could be completely wrong.

    I also agree with Ascella's previous post.
    Last edited by Trebor; 18th March 2008 at 07:23 AM.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    No, I think they both are virtually identical, except the older one is stronger and stays stronger longer. I tested them again, and added extra green to the green hand a few hours in, without doing the same to the brown hand, and a few hours later the brown hand is still stronger.

    Both of them last a very long time, but the brown is alot more potent. .
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose



  27. #27

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Thanks Ascella - it's hard to get the colours to come through without a lightbox, thus the overexposure and underexposure. The brown one is from the 2005 bottle, and the green is the more recent. Would it be sacrilege to mix the contents into one bottle? I don't detect any significant difference between the two in terms of scent, or longevity etc. I have these two bottles, and one sealed 50ml bottle. I was thinking of selling off the sealed one together with an empty bell jar and keeping the contents of both of the above bells in one jar.
    --------------------------------------
    Actually - I take back that there's no difference - the brown stuff is stronger for longer. I even used less of it than the green, but I can smell the "brown hand" more vividly than the "green hand" though this might have to do with batch variation than anything to do with the colours.
    It feels a bit unorganized how SL keeps the batches in their shop. The reasonable thing is that they should have sold out the older batch by now and only sell the new batch nowadays, but my bottle (which arrived directly from Paris some weeks ago) looks really like the old batch. If one knows the batch code system used by them it would be fun to see whether there is a correlation between it and the color.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    I don't know the system, but the 50ml bottle was MUD01 X
    and the green one is NUK05 X

    By the way I think the difference is potency is batch variation - I've had two different bottles of FUmerie Turque borth 50ml from 2006 and they smelled more different than these two bottles.
    --------------------------------------
    By the way - do you guys think it's a bad idea to mix the juice from both bottles into one?
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 18th March 2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose



  29. #29

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    By the way - do you guys think it's a bad idea to mix the juice from both bottles into one?
    Only if you're 100% confident that they're exactly the same juice, which I don't think you are...

  30. #30
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,747

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    I wouldn't mix them, personally.

    It seems that when serial numbers end in two digits like those, the digits are the year it was made. I know this is the case with Creed and Hugh Parsons.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  31. #31

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    I don't think that makes sense in this case - the 50ml bottle ends in 01 but those bottles were sold in 2005.

    And if you guys don't think I should mix them - do you think I'm better off selling a 3/4 full bell jar of chergui with an empty 50ml bottle w spray and box as an extra, or better off selling a sealed 50m bottle with an empty bell as an extra?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post

    It seems that when serial numbers end in two digits like those, the digits are the year it was made. I know this is the case with Creed and Hugh Parsons.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose



  32. #32

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    My impressions:

    Older juice: Brown, more honeyed, very long lasting

    Newer juice: Defintely green, and from first sniff in the bottle, less honey, more hay, reminding me of Yerbamate

  33. #33

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    To make the issue even more confusing, I also saw tester bottles with reddish-brown juice, a couple of times last year...

    finsfan: did the green juice smell fresher to you?
    Last edited by Trebor; 7th May 2009 at 08:57 PM.

  34. #34

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Trebor, from memory of how the browner, older Chergui smelled, the green bottle I have smells more of hay than honey, more powder, and less intense.

  35. #35

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    I noticed a difference too. The brown is more rich and buttery while the green is more fresh and well, green (ie. hay). Both are still "Chergui" though, and smell amazing.
    Sales thread here

  36. #36

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    I just purchased a bell jar from Palais Royale and the juice is dark, dark brown (Sarrasins-esque).

  37. #37

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    finsfan, if you're not happy with your bottle, just return it and explain why.

  38. #38

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    I took this picture of my Chergui bell jar about four years ago. It still looks the same, except it isn't nearly as full:


    I bought an export bottle too and it is green but smells just the same. I don't have a picture of that one though.

  39. #39

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    I'm glad it's green, green is my favorite color, viva green Chergui

  40. #40

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I took this picture of my Chergui bell jar about four years ago. It still looks the same, except it isn't nearly as full:


    I bought an export bottle too and it is green but smells just the same. I don't have a picture of that one though.
    IS THAT AN ATOMISER!!! I just bought several bell jar and they told me they didn't have atomisers!

  41. #41

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    IS THAT AN ATOMISER!!! I just bought several bell jar and they told me they didn't have atomisers!
    Sorry, it's just an empty decant bottle.

  42. #42
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,706

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    My Chergui bell jar, purchased several years ago, has changed from the original brown to a green color. I doubt they officially changed the color and believe it is a simple case of oxidation.

  43. #43

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    My Chergui bell jar, purchased several years ago, has changed from the original brown to a green color. I doubt they officially changed the color and believe it is a simple case of oxidation.
    SL did officially change the formula at some point, this I got in an email directly from SL. One can of course speculate that the reason they changed the formula was that the old formula had a tendency to change into green.

  44. #44

    Default Re: Chergui - juice now green II (with photos)

    Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Sorry, it's just an empty decant bottle.
    Oh... lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000