Code of Conduct

Default In the same league as Patou Pour Homme / Versailles Homme

Im trying to compile a list of fragrances in the league of PH and Versailles homme, so far I have discovered

Rochas Macassar Homme
    Ungaro I
    Montana Parfum D'homme

are there any others?

Default Re: In the same league as Patou Pour Homme / Versailles Homme

Guerlain Heritage
    Davidoff Zino
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlin

Guerlain Derby and Versace L'Hommeare two very nice big scents from the 80's that play in the same league as these two. I personally think that Patou pour Homme and Derby are both in a league all their own though.

Off-Scenter

By "in the same vein" do you mean resembling Patou pour Homme and Versailles in composition, or in terms of dignitiy, sophistication, and quality? If the latter, some possible contenders include Santal Noble, Bois du Portugal, Knize Ten, Havana, Cuir Mauresque, L'Homme Sage, Mazzolari Lui, and perhaps Jubilation XXV and Heritage. Of these I think Santal Noble and Mazzolari Lui come closest to the discontinued giants in terms of sheer impact and presence.

In terms of vague, and I mean vague, resemblance in actual scent, the closest I can think of might be Heritage. The claim is so tenuous though, that few will agree on this.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 12th March 2008 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    in terms of dignitiy, sophistication, and quality?
    id say probably more along these lines but a rose frag could possibly have the dignity sophistication and quality equal but it wouldn't be what im looking for, so I suppose both composition and quality are important

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    id say probably more along these lines but a rose frag could possibly have the dignity sophistication and quality equal but it wouldn't be what im looking for, so I suppose both composition and quality are important
    You need to try Czech & Speake No. 88
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 12th March 2008 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    You need to try Czech & Speake N. 88
    Ditto.

No. 88 is a rose for people who never thought they would like, much less wear, a rose scent.

I love it!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Dunhill for Men (1934)

Balenciaga Pour Homme
    Kouros
    DK Fuel
    Tiffany for Men
    Giorgio Beverly Hills Red for Men (I know this has its haters but I love it even though I typically hate cumin)
    Tabac Blond
    Last edited by AZsmells; 13th March 2008 at 01:10 AM.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Ditto.

No. 88 is a rose for people who never thought they would like, much less wear, a rose scent.

I love it!
    I wear a few rose scents actually, but just for the purpose of this post I wanted to stick to as close to the PH composition as possible. 88 is something ive been meaning to try for very long, alas there are no C&S dealers around here (well oddly enough there is a dealer of the bathroom fixtures!). Id even pay for a sample from the company! nudge nudge wink wink wink wink

Etienne Aigner .. original
    Andros by Parera
    Steffano Ricci PH

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I know and love both fragrances, and trust me, I have spent a lot of time and effort sniffing for a fragrance that matches their elegance and beauty.

You are looking for Nino Cerutti PH.

Maxim's for men and Antaeus.

Dependent

I'll second Balenciaga pour homme as matching the richness, smoothness, quality of ingredients, blending and everything else that make Patou pour homme and Versailles such a joy to wear.

Hermés Equipage
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Caron Poivre

Although they don't smell similar, Chanel pour monsieur and Balenciaga pour homme are held in similarly high regard to PPH and VH at Basenotes. You might want to check out robyogi and pluran's (as well as some others) sales threads for good deals on these classics.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Although they don't smell similar, Chanel pour monsieur and Balenciaga pour homme are held in similarly high regard to PPH and VH at Basenotes. You might want to check out robyogi and pluran's (as well as some others) sales threads for good deals on these classics.
    I don't know, I own the chanel - I find it to be pleasant.. but.. not quite in the same league at all, the balenciaga is something I'd have to try. Unfortunatley I live in a city where such things are not easy to find so blind buys for me are quite common Im surprised no one has mentioned Bois du Portugal which is something I sprayed on my girlfriend last night and have totally fallen in love with again

Geo F Trumper's Eucris
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I hold these designer beauties in my highest regards:
    Richard James
    Jaipur EdP
    Lalique pour Homme EdP
    Carven Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I hold these designer beauties in my highest regards:
    Richard James
    Jaipur EdP
    Lalique pour Homme EdP
    Carven Homme
    lalique and jaipur are both great arent they? ive only got the jaipur as a deodorant but Ive got the full range of lalique mens EDTS and I love all of them!

Basenotes Plus

Hello fredricktoo -

I have to say that, after just acquiring a wonderful flacon of Versailles Pour Homme in great order that while the richness and quality of ingredients is on par with Balenciaga Pour Homme - the two are drastically different compositions.

I found some stunning notes here - the opening, while extremely expressive and powerful, is so refined (as is the entire wear of the fragrance).

This is fantastic juice with sheer beauty. I feel the comparisons to other fragrances are rather meaningless. Does it have a nice pimento pepper note like Patou Pour Homme? Yes. Does it have a sharp, fresh-bloom carnation that appears on your lapel when you apply this? Yes. I can draw similarities of each note but what makes this unto itself is the composition.

Don't buy this if you want a clone of something else. I can only imagine the look on a novice fragrance lover's face who applies Balenciaga Pour Homme on one wrist and Versailles Pour Homme on the other. They would be lost and probably faint. Then again, wouldn't we all?

I commented on your reply to also say "hello" - I read a lot of your posts and find your knowledge of scent admirable. Thank you for all your contributions...

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    I'll second Balenciaga pour homme as matching the richness, smoothness, quality of ingredients, blending and everything else that make Patou pour homme and Versailles such a joy to wear.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

IMO Patou Pour Homme and Versailles Homme are on a special level among their peers.

Basenotes Plus

I enthusiastically agree, hednic -

I last smelled Patou Pour Homme (from sample) a while ago. It is a great memory - truly amazing (as you said perfectly, "special"). My bottle of Jean Desprez Versailles Pour Homme EDT is simply stunning and has that "special" quality as well. I refuse to compare them.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO Patou Pour Homme and Versailles Homme are on a special level among their peers.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Guerlain Derby

Vintage Ferre for Man (1986) is along those lines, but more of a fougere than the other two (VPH is more of an oriental).