Code of Conduct

Default differences and similarities between sage and clary sage

Hi id just like to know if anyone can school me on the differences and similarities between sage and clary sage, I can only source clary sage locally - can it be a useable stand-in for sage?

Default Re: differences and similarities between sage and clary sage

Clary sage is sweeter and 'fresher' than Dalmation Sage, which smells just like sniffing a jar of crushed sage you'd use to flavor meat.

The clary sage has a hint of peppermint in the mix, too. Clary sage absolute is even more 'pepperminty' and fresh and sweeter than the clary sage oil. Both of those are, as mentioned, sweeter, and fresher than the dalmation sage, which has that bitter, biting, aromatic edge to it.

Clary sage and dalmation sage are quite different both chemically and aromatically. The dalmation sage is high in thujone (which is also quite prominent in the various artemisia oils (wormwood, absinthe, etc), and also in cedar leaf oil. Be careful, as thujone is a neurotoxin. You wouldn't want to use clary sage as a stand in for dalmation sage if you are looking for the scent of sage you smell in a spice jar.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 13th March 2008 at 03:51 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Be careful, as thujone is a neurotoxin.
    Yes, thujone is a neurotoxin, as is Vodka. My personal preference in neurotoxins is single malt scotch.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen View Post
    Yes, thujone is a neurotoxin, as is Vodka. My personal preference in neurotoxins is single malt scotch.
    oh ive had some thujone in my time don't you worry about it