Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Serge Lutens Gingembre

Anyone tried the newest Serge? I'm not into tea scents, but ginger's good. Would you class it as a tea scent?? If I'm very lucky I'll be able to try it Monday. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Serge Lutens Gingembre

I love ginger, and tea, AND LUTENS!!! C'mon people, I'd love to hear about this one as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Tigrushka has worn it as her SoTD a few times - maybe she'd like to comment? I want to hear about this one too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm into the first two hours of the drydown, having received my latest Serge Lutens fix yesterday.

Sublety ... sublety. This one doesn't raise its voice; it whispers. And what a whisper!

One would expect a cloud of smoky tea but to my fairly educated nose, it's such a trace element. I get bergamot. I get ginger. I get a soft cloak of honey and spice. I get far more refinement than some of Lutens's other rather opulent, if not overstated concoctions.

I concur with a fellow enthusiast who commented, "It's less but more," adding, " ... the first warm rays of sunrise breaking a familiar chill."

Keep inhaling, friends!

It sounds wonderful, although the bergamot makes me a little nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    I love ginger, and tea, AND LUTENS!!! C'mon people, I'd love to hear about this one as well!
    God, me too! Sounds divine!
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Minou2 View Post
    It sounds wonderful, although the bergamot makes me a little nervous.
    Oooh, me too! I am hoping it is just a prominant fresh ginger and tea that is making that smell...
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Quote Originally Posted by BeauSoleil View Post
    I'm into the first two hours of the drydown, having received my latest Serge Lutens fix yesterday. Sublety ... sublety. This one doesn't raise its voice; it whispers. And what a whisper!
    One would expect a cloud of smoky tea but to my fairly educated nose, it's such a trace element. I get bergamot. I get ginger. I get a soft cloak of honey and spice. I get far more refinement than some of Lutens's other rather opulent, if not overstated concoctions. I concur with a fellow enthusiast who commented, "It's less but more," adding, " ... the first warm rays of sunrise breaking a familiar chill."
    Keep inhaling, friends!
    I liked it enough, but it didn't last much more than an hour on me. I think that there's a nice dose of vetiver in there, too. It definitely is one of Lutens' more subtle offerings. I didn't get much of a tea note when I tried it, but the ginger is there.

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of worry about the note of honey...I really don't like Miel du Bois at all, the honey in it smells, well, just plain old 'bad'! I hope the honey is subdued in this one!

I look forward to sampling the new Lutens with the strange name. The concoction sounds divine. I know some frags that include honey to great effect, but I agree with ubu about Miel du Bois. I cannot wear it. Here's hoping that Gingembre will be one of the better honeys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's more talk about 5 O'Clock:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=206766
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I had the opportunity to sample this one yesterday. I was all excited to find it (House of Fraser, Monument, London), and then I sprayed it (on card, and a little on my hand), and sniffed. And it's nice. But insubstantial. It had no longevity at all, and no..OOMPH. It had worn off by the time I left the shop, and although it dried down to a warm powderiness that would have been lovely if it had had any bite to it, I just found myself disappointed. I'm glad I didn't buy it on impulse. It is a lovely spicy warm fragrance though. It reminded me of something, but I still haven't been able to pin down what it is.
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    I look forward to sampling the new Lutens with the strange name. The concoction sounds divine. I know some frags that include honey to great effect, but I agree with ubu about Miel du Bois. I cannot wear it. Here's hoping that Gingembre will be one of the better honeys.
    Gingembre is nothing like
    Miel du Bois, no worries ladies

I do enjoy most of Lutens scents
    with notes of honey though:
    Chergui, Fumerie Turque, Chypre Rouge
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Is it dry?

Or does it have that characteristic SL sweetness?

There ar notes of candied fruits in it - so yes, it's sweet - but dry, too. :-D
    The spicy ginger and dark black tea temper the sweetness.

By the way: I love, love, love the new Lutens!

I have a problem with some of SL scents (I find them too much of anything), although I adore some others, like Daim Blond. I tried Gingembre expecting the worst, but this time I think it's quite a "commercial" fragrance. What I mean is that I think many people can like it: it's fresh, but a bit sweet (not too much), it's citrusy but spicy too...all in good measure. The drydown is really elegant. I added it to my already long wishlist (sigh!)

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    I had the opportunity to sample this one yesterday. I was all excited to find it (House of Fraser, Monument, London), and then I sprayed it (on card, and a little on my hand), and sniffed. And it's nice. But insubstantial. It had no longevity at all, and no..OOMPH. It had worn off by the time I left the shop, and although it dried down to a warm powderiness that would have been lovely if it had had any bite to it, I just found myself disappointed.
    I tried it yesterday in Harrods and this was very much my feeling too. The ginger, citrus and tea elements seemed to dissipate very quickly leaving a sweet, warm, musky finish that was very nice, but not enough to warrant a purchase. I intend to go back and give it another go, it was unbearably hot and busy in there yesterday and everything I sampled didn't seem to stick around for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Leontion View Post
    I tried it yesterday in Harrods and this was very much my feeling too. The ginger, citrus and tea elements seemed to dissipate very quickly leaving a sweet, warm, musky finish that was very nice, but not enough to warrant a purchase. I intend to go back and give it another go, it was unbearably hot and busy in there yesterday and everything I sampled didn't seem to stick around for long.
    I'm going to resample it as well, when I'm not in such a hurry.
    Bill Cosby