Code of Conduct

Default Does spraying closer to your skin increase longivity?

Last night I sprayed two shots of Acqua Di Parma on my hand at close range and it until this morning. After I showered, I sprayed two shots to the same hand, only further away. Does applying cologne closer to your skin actually increase longivity?

Default Re: Does spraying closer to your skin increase longivity?

I would think that it would, only because it's a more concentrated spray then, and so there's less surface area for it to evaporate from.

Both strength & longevity I have found.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naďve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Post Re: Does spraying closer to your skin increase longivity?

Yes, and no.Not to confuse, but first the strength of the frag.will determine longivity of that frag. Second spraying closer, will give you more concentration in a smaller area which will lead to longivity.If I'm understanding your question correctly.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

It's interesting because you'll find hundreds of threads on this site, talking about longivity. some like the diva claims that you need to wash more, some say it's about locking in moisture, but i've never seen someone talk about the distance that you spray your fragrance from.

I'm pretty sure I've seen people talk about that on here, but mostly in passing. Haven't seen a thread devoted to it, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by HughLloyd View Post
    I would think that it would, only because it's a more concentrated spray then, and so there's less surface area for it to evaporate from.
    Makes sense to me. That's what I thought too.

oh, okay

If you ask me, this is only an illusion.

If you spray from a big distance, some of the juice evaporates or falls to the ground and won't touch your skin.

If there is only a small distance between your sprayer and your skin, all of the juice that is sprayed will touch your skin.

So does spraying close to your skin increase longevity?
    Yes, because there is more of the juice on you.

Think about this:
    If you spray perfume in an atomizer from a big distance, a lot of the juice will be spilled.
    But if you keep the sprayer close to the atomizer, all will be in it.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 12th March 2008 at 05:00 PM.

Haha, yes, but those are the extremes. I don't think people try to spray themselves from such a distance that the juice isn't even reaching their body, or that they're doing it so close that it's a surgical strike. :P

It's highly debatable... actually, i'm not sure.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Actually, it lasts the longest if you spray from across the room, and then dash through the mist. As Will Ferrell would say, "It's a fact."
    Last edited by somethinpositiv; 12th March 2008 at 06:29 PM.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Longevity is definitely improved when you spray close, let dry, then spray the same spot again.
    Sillage improves by spraying different spots.
    Last edited by samplermike; 12th March 2008 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    If you ask me, this is only an illusion.

If you spray from a big distance, some of the juice evaporates or falls to the ground and won't touch your skin.

If there is only a small distance between your sprayer and your skin, all of the juice that is sprayed will touch your skin.

So does spraying close to your skin increase longevity?
    Yes, because there is more of the juice on you.

Think about this:
    If you spray perfume in an atomizer from a big distance, a lot of the juice will be spilled.
    But if you keep the sprayer close to the atomizer, all will be in it.
    Ahh, but it does affect the surface area that the scent affects. Over a larger area I have noticed that there are softer notes that blend better with my skin. If I concentrate it the smell will not be as nice to smell throughout the day.

I feel like you absorb more of the juice from a close range, therefore, will still be sweating it out hours later, thus greater longevity is achieved. When there is a mist the scent is covering more skin, but there is only a "thin layer" that can be worn off easily. I don't think it works for everyone but it is a theory. I like the medium spray distance. I have a distance for each bottle, as each spray mechanism functions differently.

It's personal. I get the same effect either way, in terms of longevity, but I like the smell better when I give it some distance.

Have any master perfumers ever weighed in on appropriate/ideal method of distibution for their creations. I mean, has someone ever quoted one of the greats as saying something like, "You want to get the sprayer that we've chosen close enough to the chest that not one drop of a single full spray is lost to the body, but of course not one milimeter closer than is necessary to achieve such an effect. With this in mind, do same on left wrist & right crook of elbow, with the exception being you sweat excessively, in which case you'd......" It'd make life so much easier.
    I think I've been using HughLloyd's perfectly put "surgical strike," with one about 10 inches from the chest and one from about 2 inches away from each wrist. It seems to work nicely enough but I'm always happy to change to any "best approach."
    Oh well for now, back to trial & error, hopefully less error, but I doubt it. dek

Blog Entries

It does depend on the sprayer too, some of them are such a fine, weak mist (Quorum) that I have to spray pretty much point blank, and some come out in gobs and I could probably hit someone from 3 feet away with them (Kouros). Definitely an inexact science, but a fun one. :P
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

From a nice discussion on wearing fragrances I found on the net (I didn't write it!):

1: Two sprays on your chest from about 6-8 inches away. If it beads, spray from farther away; if it gets on your nipples move the bottle a bit closer. This forms the base of your scent.

2: A light (1/3) spray on each wrist over the pulse point. Press your arms together (don't rub, it breaks down the oils) and hold for a few seconds. This allows the scent to project slightly, allowing those aroudn you to get a tiny whiff of what you're wearing without being overpowering. Alternately, spray on one wrist and press. If you wash your hands with hot water later in the day and your wrists get a bit wet, the top notes of the fragrance are revitalized.

3: A light (1/2) and close (2" away) spray on the back of the neck below the hairline. This creates sillage. If you walk through a room, you'll leave a pleasant, lingering scent trail for a few seconds. With the right combination of cologne and situation, this can actually deliver the mob of women following you that the Axe commercials promise.
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

If I spray a frag close, my skin sucks more of the fragrance in causing the frag to fade fast (and leave a red mark).

I think that splashing is a good way for people with dry skin to enjoy their perfumes more. For instance: When I use those sample vials you get about 1 - 2 ml of juice. I've been dumping the whole thing in my hands and gently patting on the key points on my body. No one's complained I've put on too much.

Case in point: I did this with Joop! recently. No one said I stank or wrinkled their nose or even gossiped about my overbearing scent.