Code of Conduct

Default A deeper, more leathery Quorum?

I really like Quorum. It is a big scent, has loads of notes, and certainly has the tobacco in spades (sometimes so much so that at the end of the day my undershirt smells as if I smoked a cigarette, but in a good way).

Is there anything like Quorum, but with more pronounced leather? I'm not asking for leather scents in general, but one that has a similar note tree:

Top Notes
    Bergamot, Artemisia, Cumin, Lemon, Grapefruit ,

Middle Notes
    Patchouli, Jasmin, Pine, Sandal, Cyclamen, Carnation,

Base Notes
    Leather, Tobacco, Moss, Amber, Olibanum

On a side note, my box notes that includes actual oakmoss extract. Could it be that this one slipped past the ban, or that it is simply a chemical/molecular (i.e. synthetic) "extract"?
    You are not your perfume.

Default Re: A deeper, more leathery Quorum?

I am not at home, so I am going from memory - which is always dangerous, but my suggestion would be 'Vintage' Tabarome.

I haven't been able to find a complete pyramid but this is what's on parfumsraffy.com: "Tabarome is a very sensual, sophisticated and warm original fragrance. The rich notes of tobacco leaves, green tea, pepper and ambergris....."

Vintage Tab is one of my top five fragrances and is easily my favorite tobacco/leather scent. Michael Edwards classifies it as a rich Dry Woods.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I immediately thought of Vintage Tabarome and Knize Ten. Like Quorum, they are similarly bold, heavy, powerful and leathery. I have not, however, compared their individual notes.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Bogart?

Francesco Smalto PH seems deeper to me, though it's not as dry as Quorum, no cumin either. It is a tad sweeter with the benzoin in the base, but there is no tobacco. Not cloying sweet at all, think rich burnished leather in a classic 80s fougere.

It's as big and bold as Quorum but much smoother. I still love Quorum but its rough-edged character doesn't fit into as many contexts as easily.
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

Thanks for the feedback. I have yet to try Vintage Tabarome, but that is certainly on my list. Is it easy to acquire? I too will have to look at the note tree as well, as I do want VT, but my real intention is to locate something close to Quorum.

Smalto is very nice and is one that I must revisit. I remember trying my brother's way back in the day (late 80's I believe). I do recall it smelling nice and will probably appreciate the scent much more now.

Bogart is another that I have heard a lot about. I'll have to get my hands on that one as well.

Any others?

Also, any ideas about the oakmoss in Quorum? I thought there was a ban, but the box seems to indicate that it contains the real deal.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Bogart?
    I have both ... I love both .. I recomend both !!
    but Bogart to me is not leatherier ... more patchouli laden aromatic tobbaco to my nose .

Great thread ...

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    I have yet to try Vintage Tabarome, but that is certainly on my list. Is it easy to acquire?
    It only comes in a large flacon and will run you at least $200.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    It only comes in a large flacon and will run you at least $200.
    Sounds good. I've never purchased one of the large flacons (only received decants), but I think this might be one to get.

Dimitrios and Ged, the boutique down the street has some Bogart. I've heard some really good things about it, so I think I'm gonna snag a bottle this weekend.

I second Smalto. Btw, oakmoss hasn't been banned except in the EC, and this is fairly recent.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Have you tried Vermeil ?