Code of Conduct

Question Parfum Sacre or Bal a Versailles?

I'm looking to purchase one of these fragrances - blind buy as I have never seen them in the shops to try them. Although, I'd love to buy them both as they both sound gorgeous!

I'm finding it difficult to choose between them! Looking at the notes they seem like they may both be similar? With both being sweet spicy florals.

Does anyone have any experience with these fragrances? Are they similar? Which one is nicer?

Any help much appreciated ladies

Sarah x

Default Re: Parfum Sacre or Bal a Versailles?

lim, pm me if you would like to try before you buy.

My preference is definitely Parfum Sacre...I think it's very user friendly, extremely wearable without feeling "dated"...although BaV is a wonder unto itself, it comes off a bit "old world" to me, making it difficult to enjoy as a current fragrance. Hopefully this makes sense to you! I also highly recommend sampling prior to purchase...unless you're a gambler!

They are SO completely different !
    I love both, but if you are very young [ I suspect that you are!], you might find PS more readily accessible / wearable for more occasions; BaV has an animalic base in there, and it either pleases or not.

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    They are SO completely different !
    I love both, but if you are very young [ I suspect that you are!], you might find PS more readily accessible / wearable for more occasions; BaV has an animalic base in there, and it either pleases or not.
    I'm 29 but I feel about 50! lol

When you say it has an animalic base - is that the civet note? How animalic is it? Is it as animalic as Jicky as this turned very faecal on my skin and I'm presuming that that was the civet maybe? Or it may have been something else?

When I read the notes of both Parfum Sacre and Bal a Versailles I noticed that they both contain civet. Is the civet note not as pronounced in the Parfum Sacre?

They are worlds apart. Bal is from the old school, I think the dry down is all about leather. It really smells like it's from the early 1950's.
    Sacre, on the other hand, is its own beast. If you go light on the trigger, it is a very beautiful oriental. Go heavy and it smells like some weird medicinal balm.
    I prefer Jicky to both, but they don't share anything with the bergamot lavender mix of that beauty besides the civet.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th March 2008 at 10:16 PM.

Both are beautiful but I prefer and own Parfum Sacre.

I think Parfum Sacre seems like an older classic from an earlier era, which is not to say that is smells old, though it does have its own aura to set it apart from contemporary fragrances. I prefer it to Bal. The civet is stronger to my nose in Bal.

I don't like Bal a Vers...but you might!

I LOVE them both but agree with the others in that they are worlds apart. Really! PS has a gorgeous carnation (spicy) drydown, but if over-applied can become somewhat "dark".
    I love BaV in the parfum only, I really don't care much for the edt or the edp. The parfum has over 400 ingredients and is IMHO, one of the most interesting and unique orientals out there. It also has a lovely peach note in the top that seems to stay throughout the dry down, keeping it warm and luscious.
    I find the other two concentrations a little too sharp and medicinal smelling, lacking the warmth and "class" of the parfum.
    I suggest you not buy either of these blind, as they are both extremely unique, and not to everyone's liking.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Truly your question could be posed as "Shrimp cocktail, or peach cobbler, which would you prefer?" That is how different they are, in my opinion. PS is much sweeter and softer, yet has a certain something not everyone will appreciate. BaV is absolutely rich, oriental, and gourmande, yet will not always appeal to one who may like all of those attributes individually. No scent should ever be a 'blind-buy' as the saying goes. I know from my own experiences, even if you love all the notes that are listed for a fragrance, you may not love the way they are combined to make a fragrance. Which is why I would never, purchase without trying first.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Thank you everyone.

Sestra is sending me a sample of each so I won't have to buy blind now -Thank you sestra! You're a star!

It sounds that Parfum Sacre may be the one that I prefer from your comments. I'll try them both and I'll let you all know how I got on.

Sarah x

Wow, just last night I was sniffing them both, trying to decide which one I liked more. And it is Parfum Sacre. Bal had a heavy amber base on me and I didn't like that. PS is sweet and spicy, definitely a winner for me.
    Last edited by Frenchie Day; 14th March 2008 at 04:03 PM.

Another vote for Parfum Sacre. It is still the most gorgeous juice I own.
    "The death of Satan was a tragedy for the imagination."