Code of Conduct

Default MPG, you disappoint me

I recently got 30 samples of MPG, and I've only really "accepted" three of them. Parfum d'habit is a sexy scent, and the only one I really like so far. Fraicheur Muskissime is also a splendid fragrance, but there's much better alternatives out there. Santal Noble is Out of the ones I've tried besides Parfum d'habit, I have not liked:

Vocalises
    Tubereuse
    Centaure
    Freezia d'Or
    Baime
    Garrigue
    Jasmin

The ones I have left include Iris Bleu Gris, Jardin du Nil, Secret Melange, Grain de Plaisir, Route de Vetiver, Racine, Fleur d'Iris, Sanguine Muskissime, Or des Indes, Soie Rouge, Rose Muskissime, and Jardin Blanc.

What do you recommend I try on before I throw these samples away? :/ I'm bitterly disappointed, I can't even write reviews for them. I hate to be negative about MPG, after I've looked forward to reviewing them.

Default Re: MPG, you disappoint me

I have not tried all of the MPG line, but I own and enjoy Santal Noble, Parfum d'Habit and Racine.

In addition to Racine, you should definitely try Route de Vetiver and Iris Bleu Gris.

Rather than throw your samples away, perhaps you could swap them for others that you would like to try.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

To each his own. Everyone's reaction to a particular scent is different. I am sorry you have not yet found any MPG that really knocks you out of the ball park. Bahiana perhaps? Mind you, many of your scents you have tried were actually geared towards the feminine side....Good luck on your search.

I would say Iris Blu Gris is a good one to try next. I have tried Santal Noble too, and while it's nice, it wasn't what I thought it would be - still, I have a large sample remaining, but I doubt that I will buy a full bottle.
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Off-Scenter

Don't let go of any of them until you've tried all of them. Twice. For a full day.

MPG is notorious for really difficult top notes. The scents themselves, particularly the best of them, are challenging all the way through. It took me a over a year of intermittent wear to come to grips with Santal Noble, Iris Bleu Gris, and Route du Vetiver. Now all three are masterpieces in my eyes. Jardin du Nil is also a tough one to "get," but those who do come around to Jardin du Nil are often passionate in their regard for it. Though I think it rather commonplace, some highly discriminating Basenoters also swear by Secret Melange. Baime is a brilliant scent of the love-it-or-hate-it persuasion. I admire it, but cannot wear it. The same goes for Eau des Iles - divisive, but far from boring.

Whatever you decide, don't throw those samples away! In all fairness, you should try some of them again in the future, maybe when the weather is different, or after you've made further explorations into the darker and more challenging reaches of the fragrance world. If not that, there will always be Basenoters who'll be eager to trade for niche samples like those.

Interestingly enough, of the ones you've tried and disliked, only Garrigue appeals to me stongly, and it is one of the more conventional entries in the MPG range. Of those you have yet to try, I enjoy Route du Vetiver and Iris Bleu Gris, and rate both of them at or near the top of their genre. Neither is "easy" on the nose, and again both have nearly caustic top notes. The one great MPG scent I don't see on your list is Ambre Precieux, whichis one of my very few benchmark amber fragrances.

My own experience is that the MPG scents marketed to men, particularly Santal Noble, Ambre Precieux, Jardin du Nil, Route du Vetiver, Iris Bleu Gris, Garrigue, and Parfum d'Habit are superb, while many of the "female" scents are less impressive. The outstanding entry in the women's line is the frankly unisex Bahiana. Another best-of-breed as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 21st January 2008 at 04:51 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Please try Route du Vetiver, Jardin du Nil and Secret Melange - and report back. These are some of my favorites.

I'm lacking Bahamia, and Fraiche Passiflore, which I was eager to try out, due to its fruity personality.

And when I said "throw them out" I didn't mean literally! I immensely respect the MPG line, even though I don't like them one bit. They're immensely complex, but I'm just disappointed that I haven't found anything that fits "me" -- then again, I might be looking in the wrong spot, maybe MPG just isn't for me.

Mike, I will definitely try them out and let you know what I think of them. You've guided me in the right direction before, and I find we have similar taste... hopefully those three can join the list of fragrances we both love!

Edit: Vibert, I much appreciate your advice. The same goes for you too; I find that your suggestions have helped me in the past, so I will take my time with them.
    --------------------------------------
    Update: Mike, Jardin du Nil and Secret Melange are both wonderful. Unfortunately, I have five other samples on me, so I don't really have any other room to try Route du Vetiver...

Secret Melange I can live without -- Domenico Caraceni's use of frankincense and roses, I find, is much better -- but this is spiced sweet; if it had some green-fruit accords it would be marvelous.

Jardin du Nil is really wonderful. I'm going to let it develop on my hand some more before I really dissect it, since I've become aware that MPG's drydowns are legendary, and so unbelievably broad.
    Last edited by Leifer; 21st January 2008 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Keep working your way through the line, Leifer. You have some of the best ones yet to try - Eau de Isles and Ambre Precieux, especially. You also should give some of the ones you haven't initially liked a second try. A couple of these babies put me off at first, but now I really enjoy them.

I don't have Ambre Precieux, unfortunately I'm also lacking Eau de Isles.

I'll keep mowing through these. Some that I don't like are gonna be donated to the local Parfumerie, in hopes that it will put me in a better position to get hired there... as I'm looking for a new job.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Leifer View Post
    Update: Mike, Jardin du Nil and Secret Melange are both wonderful. Unfortunately, I have five other samples on me, so I don't really have any other room to try Route du Vetiver...

Secret Melange I can live without -- Domenico Caraceni's use of frankincense and roses, I find, is much better -- but this is spiced sweet; if it had some green-fruit accords it would be marvelous.

Jardin du Nil is really wonderful. I'm going to let it develop on my hand some more before I really dissect it, since I've become aware that MPG's drydowns are legendary, and so unbelievably broad.
    Take your time Leifer - no rush necessary.

Secret Melange is a love/hate scent, that's for sure. It's the epitome of spice and I find that really the only way I can wear it, is in the heat of summer. When I sweat and my body temperature rises, the spices and transparency of this scent comes alive. Otherwise, it can really turn one off. In an odd way (I have mentioned this before) I think it resembles Noir Epices by Frederic Malle.

Jardin du Nil is the epitome of a well done 'dirty' floral. Perhaps only second to Nuit Noire by Mona di Orio. As Ruggles likes to say, 'It smells like 9,000 beautiful things, rotting'. In a good way. I can't wait to own JdN.

Leifer, you definitely need to try those two out before you give up on MPG. It sounds like you might need a smaller (but better selected) array of samples to sort all this out! Luckily there's no rush!

I ordered 30 samples, and it was $30. I assumed it was all of them; because the page said the sample includes the entire line, and he listed all of them... oh well, 30 samples for $30 is a bargain, especially since it's MPG. I'm just sad I didn't get to sample all, and I got doubles of ones that I definitely don't like

I think I own a total of eight by the house. I've got a half-dozen samples, I've smelled a bunch more, and there are plenty more I haven't smelled. The ones I own are certainly the ones I like. It's less than a third of the house's scents, but my collection says good things about the house to me.

Because I like the house doesn't mean I like everything the house makes, of course, and because I like the house doesn't mean more than a few of its products will please anyone else.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Off-Scenter

Jardin du Nil is a fascinating fragrance. It's also an example of what MPG does best: uncompromising, even confrontational fragrances, explicity designed not to please everyone.

Apropos of Mike's earlier coment, I see Jardin du Nil as one in a spectrum of outstanding "dirty," suggestive unisex floral fragrances. On one end is Frederic Malle's Un Fleur de Cassie, whose soft, aldehydic white flower opening is like a clever "fake out" before the decadent indoles and dirty musk creep in fromthe shadows. Jardin du Nil is a bit more blatant. The overripe cheese and sweaty socks are there right from the outset, but they are wrapped in very pretty powdery floral notes. Mona di Orio's Nuit Noire is in flagrante delicto the minute you put it on. Sex in a bottle, no powder, no aldehydes, just hot, fornicating bodies in a cloud of jasmine, orange blossoms, and tuberose. Charogne, from the notorious Etat Libre d'Orange, is a sucker-punch. The sweet decay, the animal reek, and the heady, heady indoles are so powerful that the floral notes seem no more than an afterthought. The marketing copy for this one vaguely intimates necrophilia, or even cannibalism, and the scent itself doesn't go far to contradict these.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 22nd January 2008 at 12:12 AM.

Pour le Jeune Homme and Bahiana are my favorites of the MPGs I've tried. It's a very 'funky' house IMO.

FWIW, my Grain de Plaisir is on my swap list......

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I own Santal Noble, and like it and wear it a lot. The dry down is one of the best I've ever experienced.

I also really like Parfum D'Habit, although it's not one I'd wear often.

Racine is an excellent citrus vetiver. Be sure to try that one.
    Parfum d'Habit was jarring to me when I first smelled it. I thought, "What in the world
    is this?" In some ways they "out Habit Rouged" Habit Rouge.

I have Ambre Precieux, but seldom wear it.

I ordered 30 samples, and it was $30. I assumed it was all of them; because the page said the sample includes the entire line, and he listed all of them... oh well, 30 samples for $30 is a bargain, especially since it's MPG. I'm just sad I didn't get to sample all, and I got doubles of ones that I definitely don't like
    I wish I had seen this post... teach me to search first before buying! I bought the same sample set, and got several doubles... guy was a little arrogant when I told him too. Still, I found several already that I have liked immensely... so no big loss I guess!
    --------------------------------------
    My feedback on the MPG line for the ones I've tested so far:

1. Route du Vetiver.... I like it a lot... a dirty, but refined dirty, fragrance. I like the harsh green and browns that this scent evokes. I can easily wear this and I don't think it's so harsh as described so often. Of course, each their own, I like vetiver, so it fits well!

2. Santal Noble - wonderful sandalwood with many other "flavors" - it's easy to wear and distinctive. It can be worn in an office setting (be careful, as for me, someone asked where the hamster cage was?! ) but it really is one of the best.

3. Racine, Baime, Grain de Plaisir, Centaure - while each being different in some ways, to me... my nose, all carry the same feeling: not something modern or exciting. Sure, they are refined scents, but not something I would wear often, except for perhaps Grain de Plaisir... but that only in certain situations.

4. Parfum d'Habit - oh... it comes on dirty... almost nasty... but dries down to something very interesting and nice. I don't know when I would wear it (other than just for sniffing sake!) - but certainly it has it's place!

5. Jardin du Nil - not bad... but I couldn't find it on my arm after a couple hours, but that might be because I didn't put too much on my wrist. I will try again. I did get some nice florals and a deepness too it... reminding of Route du Vetiver in the deepness sense (not anything else!).

Will try more shortly... and come back to this thread!
    Last edited by Schachman; 15th March 2008 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

own decants of all of them, and in my humble opinion, only 3 stand out:

Eau de Isles. A reasonable alternative to Tauer's Lonestar Memories and my precious Patou PH

Santal Noble. The polls are in. The BEST sandalwood fragrance in the world. Not sweet (Trumper's), not acidic (Art of Shaving); not weak (Tam Dao); just perfect. And look for the BRILLIANT fecal note at the beginning. A PERFECT example of how something so foul can be so beautiful.

RTV. They just didn't pull up the grass; they grabbed the dirt and root as well. Dirty, raw, offensive, offputtting, and completely wonderful.

Post Re: MPG, you disappoint me

Ah, don't worry! The ones you have tried are not by any means the most interesting MPG fragrances. Personally I do like BaÔme and Centaure, but that's it. I'm happy for you - you still have some really great ones to try.

Racine is fabulous, in my opinion the best citric vetiver fragrance out there. It is quite conventional, but blended to perfection, such balance is not found often in fragrances. It's also remarkable how well it stays true to it's character throughout the drydown, another mark of a skillful perfumer. There is always a possibility in fragrances like this, that you just sniff it and think it's boring or usual. Unique notes or different idea does not make a fragrance, it's just a starting point that is neither necessary or sufficient for a fragrance to be a great one. Laporte is a true master perfumer who understands this; traditional fragrances can be the very best fragrances. I hope you give this one a shot.

Eau des Iles is one of the most stunning fragrances I have ever tried, so is Route du Vetiver. Iris Bleu Gris is another great one, so is Ambre Precieux. None of the masculine MPG fragrances - not even the amber one - are really sweet, which is another reason for me to love the house and rate it much better as a whole than for example Lutens. These scents are all about distinction, clarity of notes and natural rawness - even harshness. They are deeply satisfying rather than just trivially pleasing.

I love Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier.

Fraicheur Muskissime was my SOTD yestarday (from a sample obtained from Les Senteurs) and I think I'm starting to get to know that one by now. Its got a beautiful opening which last some time. Its definitely a must try in my book. My favorites, so far, are FM, Parfum d'Habit & Route du Vetiver (which I have a whole bottle of).

Looks like I'm going to have to try Secre Melange & Jardin du Nil as well --- "9,000 beautiful things rotting" (see above) sounds enchanting!

Anyone else but me love Soir d`Orient?? I think it`s the best scent from this amazing house, but unfortunetly it seems to be completely impossible to find.

I have a sample of SdO (the scent was a limited edition for Dubai market only), and I would be glad to pay my last pennies for the full bottle. It`s one of the best fragrances I have ever tried : Outstanding mixture of full bodied amber, oud and leather notes which are probably the most authentic ones I have come across. Really, basically this is a leather scent with delicious oud twist. Intoxicating, animalic, dark and quite unique. Like Ambre Russe but deeper, darker and even more mysterious.

Can anyone tell me where I could get my bottle?