Code of Conduct

Default Creed GIT = Cool Water?

I own Creed's GIT and have never tried Davidoff Cool Water. Is it true that the latter is just a ripoff of the former and that the two smell almost identical? I enjoy wearing GIT and love the scent but don't want to come across to others as just wearing Cool Water (ie, 16 year-old's first fragrance). Can anyone speak to the differences between the two? Are there any?

Default Re: Creed GIT = Cool Water?

The dry down of GIT is in no way like Cool Water. Top notes, yes (can see the resemblance). IMO, GIT is also more "fresh."

Another league, another scent.
    If you search the database for Cool Water, 99% of what you'll find will discuss your question.

1st, search.

And yes, they're very similar, with GIT being more natural, more floral, sweeter, and much much richer.
    On paper though, they're identical for the first few minutes under the alcohol.

Really, if you mix Truefitt's Freshman and Cool Water, that would come alot closer than either solo.
    Truefitt's Freshman has alot of the sweetness/richness of GIT
    Last edited by DULLAH; 14th March 2008 at 04:37 AM.

Reading through some of the responses in older threads, many suggest that others would think of them as completely identical. I'm just a bit concerned about others thinking I'm wearing Cool Water when I'm not.

I'm just a bit concerned about others thinking I'm wearing Cool Water when I'm not.
    If you really want to get the most out of your scents, you'll try not to worry about what other people think (except when you decide how much to wear). If you know you're wearing GIT and someone says they love your Cool Water, then just laugh it off. If it makes you happy, then that's all that counts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fashionnoob View Post
    I'm just a bit concerned about others thinking I'm wearing Cool Water when I'm not.
    Like you're concerned people who don't know scents very well (or what we call here, "normies", which is 99% of the people you run across in the streets) would vaguely associate GIT with Cool Water? I'm curious to know if regular folk would mistaken the two for each other as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    Like you're concerned people who don't know scents very well (or what we call here, "normies", which is 99% of the people you run across in the streets) would vaguely associate GIT with Cool Water? I'm curious to know if regular folk would mistaken the two for each other as well.
    Exactly. I'm trying to assemble a collection that is conservative, classy, and tasteful but still somewhat apart from what 99% of those my age wear. So I can't buy stuff like Issey Miyake, D&G, AdG, etc because even though it might smell nice, every other guy my age wears it.

If GIT smells just like Cool Water to others, I'd might as well throw it in the trash. It's a very nice scent, but I'm not trying to convey an image of someone without personalized taste.

Don't throw it in the trash -- send it to me. =)

Really, here's the rub with what you're asking: If you ask someone who is familiar with Cool Water what does GIT smell like, they'll say Cool Water. It's their point of reference. So even if GIT doesn't smell exactly like Cool Water, that's probably what they'll compare it to. It's up to you if that's acceptable or not.
    Last edited by BBRex; 14th March 2008 at 05:42 AM.

These Creed similarity threads are unfair, I'm seeing this more and more. The designer rivals cannot compare in quality. I've owned Cool Water, Paco XS, Unforgivable (which is still very good), and Mugler Cologne, and replaced them all with GIT, Himalaya, MI, and OV. They are too much better, the difference cannot be ignored...

Mugler Cologne and Unforgivable are still very good in their own right, but I wouldn't waste time with Cool Water or XS, in my opinion...
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by BBRex View Post
    Don't throw it in the trash -- send it to me. =)

Really, here's the rub with what you're asking: If you ask someone who is familiar with Cool Water what does GIT smell like, they'll say Cool Water. It's their point of reference. So even if GIT doesn't smell exactly like Cool Water, that's probably what they'll compare it to. It's up to you if that's acceptable or not.
    Excellent point Rex, that's what I'm thinking now.

The two are nothing alike. GIT has the far more expensive whale spew in it.

But to relatively inexperienced noses they can smell alike, particularly when relying on memory - never in a side by side test.

I'd been a member of Basenotes for 3 years, smelling scents all over the place when I first smelled GIT - and immediately posted here that it reminded me strongly of Cool Water.

Nowadays, I rarely wear my Cool Water, but often wear my GIT, and wonder what on earth I saw as similar between them.
    Renato

Reading through some of the responses in older threads, many suggest that others would think of them as completely identical. I'm just a bit concerned about others thinking I'm wearing Cool Water when I'm not.
    Identical out of the bottle but both follow different paths during drydown. Just wait an hour before leaving your house and nobody will notice the difference.
    GIT will garner comments like "I've smelled that before..." or "that smells like...", but most people will not say "OMG...Cool Water". They will have familiarity with GIT and will associate it with fond memories. GIT is like a smoky campfire in the woods while CW is simply a chlorinated synthetic swimming pool.
    Last edited by samplermike; 14th March 2008 at 10:28 AM.

This is why I find the Creedophilia so silly. If you like GIT, why would you care if other people think it smells like Cool Water?

Personally I would wear Cool Water (which I don't like), just so that people might think I wearing GIT, and thus am more sophisticated, tasteful, and wealthy than I really am. :brolly:

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Identical out of the bottle but both follow different paths during drydown. Just wait an hour before leaving your house and nobody will notice the difference.
    GIT will garner comments like "I've smelled that before..." or "that smells like...", but most people will not say "OMG...Cool Water". They will have familiarity with GIT and will associate it with fond memories. GIT is like a smoky campfire in the woods while CW is simply a chlorinated synthetic swimming pool.
    wow, thts the best reference point to me so far..i kinda now know wht to expect...
    P.S. i have never sniffed creed before and i hate Cool water....cool water is the only one scent tht i would never buy...tht kinda made me think i would end up hating GIT...seems thrs a ray of hope tht i wont...

I got around to trying Cool Water again last week, and it just blew me away that some people find them so similar.

They do share some notes, but are different animals. CW isn't nearly as resolute, crisp, or bright as GIT. It is muddy and even a bit spicy at times. You get the violet and aquatic qualities, but that's about it.
    Last edited by Scentronic; 14th March 2008 at 12:57 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I was a longtime an fond user of cool water form the early until the late 90ies. When I discovered GIT several years ago (using other fragrances in the meantime) the resemblance never popped in my mind until I read the posts regarding the subject in this newsgroup. Now I see some likeliness, in the drydown mostly, but the opening notes are very different imho.

The niche without question are made of impeckable quality, no doubt. However on most days, I find the department store clones more "wearable" at times. The last time I wore a GIT product, it was the deodorant. Even the deodorant, which is well made and exudes a high concentration of perfume oil, started to wear me down. Sometimes, I simple don't want my fragrance to last a millenium. This is how I can justify owning both. When you want to be regal ans sheek, go for the niche but when you simply want to smell good with no fuss or hassel, go for department store.

If you don't want to come across as wearing Cool Water, it might be better to look elsewhere.

Give GIT sometime to show its place, and you might find that you love it enough not to care whether some people mistake it for Cool Water.

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    These Creed similarity threads are unfair, I'm seeing this more and more. The designer rivals cannot compare in quality. I've owned Cool Water, Paco XS, Unforgivable (which is still very good), and Mugler Cologne, and replaced them all with GIT, Himalaya, MI, and OV. They are too much better, the difference cannot be ignored...

Mugler Cologne and Unforgivable are still very good in their own right, but I wouldn't waste time with Cool Water or XS, in my opinion...
    not only unfair but they just never end, this guy especially - if you already have GIT, just go test cool water and get your answer, the only place I could assume it would be difficult to find a tester of cool water is antarctica

I have had that exact experience. And yes, with people who were not into fragrances at all. They were incarcerated. I think they smell similar, but with the differences that have been discussed. Will some people think you are wearing Cool Water? Maybe. Do you care? Maybe.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Cool Water was one of my first fragrances I ever bought about when it was released.

When I started to really explore fragrance, I found Perfumes Raffy in LA. I tested GIT and instantly thought it was something special. I had no idea who Creed was or how much it cost. When Raffy told me the price I was not surprised.

When I discovered Basenotes, I started to see threads with the CW = GIT comparisons and was somewhat surprised.

All I can add is that CW smells somewhat similar to GIT for about 20 minutes. After that, there is no comparison. GIT is more complex, classy, sophisticated and has more depth, ALL similarities are gone to my nose.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

in this case, outside perception is the key.....

we have to consider who in particular is perceiving GIT to be "extremely similar" to CW......i'd say 99.9999999% of those people know very little about fragrances and are only able to differentiate scents on such basic level that you couldnt possibly expect them to think anything else otherwise.

for example my father is color blind and can not tell the difference between colors Red and Green. Now, if he sees a green screen and mistakes it for a bright Red screen, it doesnt mean that Red and Green have all of a sudden become strikingly similar. It just means that in his very limited perception, the colors look "exactly alike".

The point being, i would highly recommend that you do not pay attention to people who'se perception fragrances is limited to "let me name one of 4 colognes i have heard off!".... but to your own nose.

P.S in their own backwards way they are actually giving you a compliment.
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 14th March 2008 at 11:19 PM.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    in this case, outside perception is the key.....

we have to consider who in particular is perceiving GIT to be "extremely similar" to CW......i'd say 99.9999999% of those people know very little about fragrances and are only able to differentiate scents on such basic level that you couldnt possibly expect them to think anything else otherwise.
    True, but the problem is that maybe 40% or 50% or more of the population, may fall into your 99.99% category who can't tell the difference.

Actually, thinking back on when this debate first started surfacing for the first time many years ago, one of the really experienced and most respected noses on the board - Ali - posted that he thought GIT was too close to Cool Water too. So it doesn't just fool the inexperienced or semi experienced.

And over the years we've also had some very experienced people here say that GIT is almost exactly the same as Curve.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 14th March 2008 at 11:50 PM.

I kind of see the OP's point... I'm in college right now and certainly don't want to smell like all the other guys with their AdG, Cool Water, D&G, etc... I did use to own most of these "me too" scents as you can tell by my wardrobe, but part of me becoming a cologne junkie was not only for myself - but to differentiate myself and be unique.

It's part of the reason I don't wear VS for Him I in public anymore (even though I like the scent)... I don't want to smell like the next guy. Yes, you can argue all you want about "wear it for yourself!" but I'm a college guy in his early 20s... perception by females and just other peers my age is everything. It would be different to me if I was a married guy in his 30s with kids or whatever - then I don't think I would care so much what others think I'm wearing. I think the turning point in all of this (and what got me into Basenotes in the first place) was when I was at a party and I was flirting with this cute girl... midway through our conversation she goes "hey, you smell like my ex-BF Matt!" Me: :-\

Anyway, those were my .02... I'm sure a lot of guys disagree...

P.S. I was wearing AdG at that party for any that are interested...
    Last edited by akshay03; 15th March 2008 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by akshay03 View Post
    I kind of see the OP's point... I'm in college right now and certainly don't want to smell like all the other guys with their AdG, Cool Water, D&G, etc... I did use to own most of these "me too" scents as you can tell by my wardrobe, but part of me becoming a cologne junkie was not only for myself - but to differentiate myself and be unique.

It's part of the reason I don't wear VS for Him I in public anymore (even though I like the scent)... I don't want to smell like the next guy. Yes, you can argue all you want about "wear it for yourself!" but I'm a college guy in his early 20s... perception by females and just other peers my age is everything. It would be different to me if I was a married guy in his 30s with kids or whatever - then I don't think I would care so much what others think I'm wearing. I think the turning point in all of this (and what got me into Basenotes in the first place) was when I was at a party and I was flirting with this cute girl... midway through our conversation she goes "hey, you smell like my ex-BF Matt!" Me: :-\

Anyway, those were my .02... I'm sure a lot of guys disagree...

P.S. I was wearing AdG at that party for any that are interested...
    simple answer...

want to kill three birds with one stone?

#1 stand out from everyone and anyone around...

#2 get incredible amount of attention from females...

#3 love the smell and the way it makes you feel

Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

What's great about GIT is the progression the scent goes through and the different stages intertwined throughout the drydown process. When I first put it on, it smells like a giant bouquet of flowers and I'm not a fan. However, 5 minutes later it settles down and I get a sweet smell, reminding me somewhat of Polo Sport. Then it mellows out, and I'll smell instances of Curve and even Fahrenheit throughout the drydown. Basically, I think it is amazing stuff, the best I've ever come across.

Before I discovered Basenotes, Cool Water was my signature scent for about 5 years. After I got my first Creed sampler from PerfumeBay, I tried GIT and the only thing that struck me as similar about them to my untrained nose was the opening. Just my two scents.