Code of Conduct

Default your vintage "dream perfume" at an antique store....

Let's pretend you find a bottle of a scent you absolutely love in an antique store. You've just had a mini of this for years and were waiting for the day when you'd find a treasured bottle. Let's say the scent is from the 60's.

This scent has been discontinued for many years and is absolutely nowhere to be found on the internet. The storage and history are unknown, although it looks well preserved (color okay, doesn't really look "used"- the cellophane, if it ever existed, is off the box) and you can open the outer box to see the full bottle of scent. Formulation of the scent is unknown (EDT, cologne, parfum).

The asking price is just below 100$. The store does not guarantee anything about the perfume as they have had customers complain about vintage scents smelling "off" and then want to return them. So, once you puchase, it's yours.

It's your dream vintage scent. You will probably not have a chance to find / wear another bottle in your lifetime. Do you buy it? Or do you move on?

Default Re: your vintage "dream perfume" at an antique store....

you buy it, who cares at least you get the cool bottle

Could you not sneak a sniff in the shop? lol

It depends how badly you wanted the scent. The bottle will still look good even if the juice has gone bad. I'd probably buy it and if I wasn't happy when I got home I'd more than likely flog it on ebay!

I don't go for bottles, I go for the contents, so unless I can try it on my skin, I walk away. (who really believes that?)
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

You've tried the scent on from your mini and it is your dream scent.

But that bottle of vintage "seems to never have been opened"; the store doesn't seem interested in tearing into it.

BTW, the bottle is not especially beautiful or unusual with this scent. I doubt anyone would be purchasing for the bottle, but I'm not a bottle collector, so I don't know - but sincerely doubt it.

...where do I go to give the guy/gal the $100???????
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

A dream perfume? I'd buy it. I may never get the chance again and, who knows, the perfume might be fine. To walk away would leave me wondering, What if.............?

I would probably buy it. Especially if it was Colony extrait or Diorling.

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    You've tried the scent on from your mini and it is your dream scent.

But that bottle of vintage "seems to never have been opened"; the store doesn't seem interested in tearing into it.

BTW, the bottle is not especially beautiful or unusual with this scent. I doubt anyone would be purchasing for the bottle, but I'm not a bottle collector, so I don't know - but sincerely doubt it.
    If it has never been opened then there is a good chance that the scent is still good!

I say buy it!

I would buy it. Handing over the $100 in hot and cold flushes, but I would buy. Otherwise I would regret it - and I would truly prefer to know the scent went bad to never knowing & forever wondering and regretting. Wishing you all the luck in the world!

Just buy it, and let us in on the secret. Which scent is it????? We won't tell
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Considering the only unopened bottle that I know exists of my dream perfume is going for $2500.00, I'd take the risk in a heartbeat.

Excuse me while I run over to my dwindling vial. After rationing it for about 10 years, I can't imagine what I'd do with a full bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by chaelaran1008 View Post
    A dream perfume? I'd buy it. I may never get the chance again and, who knows, the perfume might be fine. To walk away would leave me wondering, What if.............?

I agree with chaelaran and most everyone else, how could you possibly pass up this opportunity? I have fragrances that are well over twenty years old and they are just fine.

You will berate yourself forever if you don't buy it.

If it isn't what you expected, you won't berate yourself over $100 for very long.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

happy is the bleu heart<3

I buy it without a second thought ... $100 is nothing for a dream.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Buy it.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

I wouldn't even have to think about it. I would buy it in a heartbeat. Even if the juice sucks, I would have the bottle to remind me of what use to be. I tend to be very sentimental. I still have my empty bottle of my beloved Que Viva sitting on my vanity. I just can't throw that bottle away.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I'm dying to know what this perfume is.......Please tell!

I try not to allow myself to indulge in searches for discontinued fragrances. For me, it is like prolonging a goodbye that I know is inevitable. I have learned my lesson with my love for red lipstick. And no, they are not all the same. When I find one that is the perfect shade, the perfect texture, etc., it is inevitably discontinued. As soon as I fall in love with a new red lipstick, I continue the search for a second. One must move on, not linger. Too bad I wasn't so firm with my first husband!

Let us say it is Guerlain's Djedi or Fath's Iris Gris for a $100? I will whip out that credit card in a flash!

Do let us in your secret treasure. We are eager to know.
    Last edited by orchid74; 15th March 2008 at 04:47 PM.

I must be getting stingy in my old age because unless I know it has not turned I'm not handing over $100!!!

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Buy it!
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    I continue the search for a second. One must move on, not linger. Too bad I wasn't so firm with my first husband!
    I know that it was meant in all seriousness, still made me laugh !

Back on topic though, I don't have a 'dream perfume' that's been discontinued, but say, if I found Bois Noir (love egoiste) Nombre Noir (just really want to try it, see what all the fuss is about) or something like Patou pour Homme or Versailles pour Homme, I would take it, just to say, ha i've got it !

Dulci - are you a psychic? It is a Patou, I'll tell you which one later. For all I know, I could have purchased some colored water. Oh, well, I've purchased lousier smelling things that have cost far more!

The "check is in the mail" so to speak. I'll let you know what it is and what condition it's in as soon as it arrives.

I enjoyed reading your advice - thank you so much for the comments and encouragement.

I have done this on several occasions, for Zibeline, for Scandal and for Quadrille parfums. Every time I was thrilled. I also bought a Guerlain bottle that turned out to be a big old factice, the ebay seller refunded 90&#37; of my money. It is a lovely factice...lol.

Let us know all the details!

...and would I do it again? In a heartbeat!!!
    Last edited by Zibeline; 16th March 2008 at 12:01 AM.

Yes, I'd buy it.
    Buying it reeks of hope, of dreaming, of optimism. Even if it's off, it represents your belief in the possibility of things turning out well, and isn't it worth the money just for that?
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Blog Entries

You throw the money at the shop owner and run out of the store cackling and caressing the bottle muttering, "my pretty...my pretty..."
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

ooo a vintage Patou! One of my favorite houses. I've got my fingers crossed for you that it is still good.

Absolutely, esp. if it was vintage Tabac Blond or a Caron Urn fragrance. I would buy it and then pray the jus was still good!
    I'm excited to hear what you receive! Good Luck!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. The customer service thus far has been incredibly responsive. I'm hoping to have the purchase in 7-10 days and will follow up.

Wordbird, your philosophy is spot on. Thank you!