Code of Conduct

Thread: Self Tanners ~

Post Thanks / Like

Question Self Tanners ~

I'm really trying to be better about staying out of the sun. With leg-bareing weather almost here, I could sure use some advice on self tanners. I've never used any before. My skin is light olive and I tan easily. I'd also like to use one that is not super expensive...as you know, I like to save my pennies for fragrance purchases!!! I really appreciate your recommendations and advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Self Tanners ~

Good question! I'm interested to hear any suggestions as well.

Last summer, I tried Dove Energy Glow and L'Oréal Sublime Glow for fair skin, moisturizers with "subtle" self-tanners. I could see a difference, but it could hardly be called a tan. I hesitate to try anything more intense because the coverage usually ends up splotchy or streaky (no matter HOW MANY blogs and magazine articles you read that tell you how to do it just right, with exfoliation, etc.).

I caved and spent a couple of weekends sunbathing.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your post Tang...I've been debating the tanning beds...but I'm trying to be "healthy"!

i dont know if you guys would consider Clarins to be a very expensive brand, but i yield really good results with their tanning milk. it gives me, what i'd consider to be, a sunkissed glow, instead of an all-out tan. this is the one i'm using. i love it. best part: doesn't stink! http://us.clarins.com/webapp/wcs/sto...10204_-1_23977

gradual tanning lotions are crap, just a way to make more money. instead of using such gradually intesifying lotions, you can buy a normal one (L'Oreal Sublime Bronze), mix it with your favorite lotion (i love to used scented lotions, cause they tend to cover up the selftan smell quite nicely), et voila, a light tan which you can build up.

you can adjust the ratio selftanner vs. lotion, depending on what kinda result you want. that's the method i prefer on my body.

hope i could help!
    Last edited by street_a_licious; 16th March 2008 at 06:36 PM.

I've been using Kanebo Honey Glow Self Tanning Gel for well over 4 years, and can highly recommend it to anyone looking for high quality self tanner.
    The gel is transparent orange(ish) colored, it doesn't leave uncomfortable feeling on a skin after apply (which can't be said of the 99% other self tanners) , it's lightly fragranted, creates warm and natural glow over a night, the color stays for 1-3 days and the product comes in 200ml (so it lasts quite long time!). The only downside is that it's bit on the more ''pricey'' side of tanners. But nevertheless I suggest to give it a try, as I did, and got totally hooked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use Neutrogena micro mist tanning spray. I like it because I don't end up with super tan palms, cuticles, and web-spaces (I've tried applying Eucerin cream to these areas first and scrubbing diligently afterward, but I think the skin on my palms just absorbs the lotion or foam too quickly when applying it all over). I try to be careful to spray evenly and do it in the bathtub so I don't end up misting the floor. When I finish, I quickly rub my skin to smooth it out, particularly the areas between my toes and especially around my ankles where the stuff might sometimes run and show streaks. Then I scrub my palms with a foot brush. It lasts about three days and is relatively cheap. My favorite product used to be the Clinique lotion (the color is very believable), but it became a little too pricey to maintain.

The Neutrogena does leave an odor on the skin though. It's kinda funky (the Clinique was less unpleasant) and, other than showering later in the day, I haven't really found a solution. Diligently moisturizing will help the tan last longer.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 1st April 2008 at 06:44 AM. Reason: forgot about the smell
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Self Tanners ~

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    I use Neutrogena micro mist tanning spray. I like it because I don't end up with super tan palms, cuticles, and web-spaces (I've tried applying Eucerin cream to these areas first and scrubbing diligently afterward, but I think the skin on my palms just absorbs the lotion or foam too quickly when applying it all over). I try to be careful to spray evenly and do it in the bathtub so I don't end up misting the floor. When I finish, I quickly rub my skin to smooth it out, particularly the areas between my toes and especially around my ankles where the stuff might sometimes run and show streaks. Then I scrub my palms with a foot brush. It lasts about three days and is relatively cheap. My favorite product used to be the Clinique lotion (the color is very believable), but it became a little too pricey to maintain.

The Neutrogena does leave an odor on the skin though. It's kinda funky (the Clinique was less unpleasant) and, other than showering later in the day, I haven't really found a solution. Diligently moisturizing will help the tan last longer.
    This sounds like the one I will try...I have a large tub area which should be perfect for your application method! I like the idea of not staining my hands. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Hi,
    i have the best experinces with Nivea self-tanning spray,
    it looks very natural even i have very pale skin and it is cheap as well.
    They even sell one for darker skin.
    Skin smells a little "self-tanned" after it but only a little.

I personally have much better experiences with sprays rather than lotions-i always ended up with some flecks when using body lotions but it probably depends on the lotion.
    Last edited by lalalali; 29th April 2008 at 11:50 AM.

Use any designer or high end company that has Erythrulose in combination with DHA (dihydroxyacetone). It makes skin look naturally tan (read: red as opposed to orange). I know of a few, one is Shiseido's (for men, but I'm sure the women's is near identical in formulation) and Sisley.

Of course, with your skin tone, you would go with the 2 (in Sisley). I would suggest buying Sisley samples off eBay since they are much cheaper and actually reasonably priced (as opposed to the $140 price tag for 2.1 oz)

Here is a link with a little more tech info on Erythrulose and DHA, courtesy of Sisley:
    http://www.sisley-cosmetics.com/?pag...&id_produit=52

I tried a few, they did not work. I got bored and then I convinced myself it's actually very nice to be super pale!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    I tried a few, they did not work. I got bored and then I convinced myself it's actually very nice to be super pale!
    I totally agree and I don't understand why some feople feel the constant need to have a tanned skin. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I found out the hard way they have a limited shelf life. I found a bunch of bottles for cheap a few years ago, and when I tried the last two this past summer they didn't work very well. Live and learn.

darkdreams and Lady M.-- If you are not interested in the product discussed here, perhaps this thread isn't for you. However, by way of explanation, I will tell you that I was born and raised in Florida and spent the first two decades of my life at the beach, on the tennis courts, and swimming competitively for a local AAU team. Summer vacation was always the first weekend of lobster season in The Keys, and most weekends were spent on an 18 foot Mako fishing boat hauling in snapper and redfish. I was always, always tan. Then my father was diagnosed with skin cancer, a disease that eventually claimed his life two years ago next week, December 11th.

In the summer, when I'm wearing my pastel linen blouses and short pleated skirts, if I look in the mirror and see someone with pale, pinkish skin (I cannot achieve that lovely ivory tone which some are so lucky to have), I don't quite recognize myself. I don't look like me, and I don't feel like me. Done properly, tanning lotion lets me continue to look like the fun-in-the-sun person I've been my entire life. This (plus sunscreen) is a much better alternative to chemo.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like

I've given up on self tanners, too. I'm very fair and they just make me look orange, or I can't do them right. I don't have the patience. So what, I'm a pale person. Still...I like the look of a little color, particular since I'm letting my hair go gray now. My husband and I will be in Florida visiting my mother over Christmas. I'm considering going to a salon where they spray you all over with self tanner, or one of those booths where you step in and get misted all over. My mother had a salon mist her, and she said it came out really nice. Lasted almost a week.

p.s. I agree that in a climate like Florida's, you look/feel a little freakish if you're blindingly white. Thank goodness for self tanners.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 5th December 2008 at 01:18 PM.

darkdreams and Lady M.-- If you are not interested in the product discussed here, perhaps this thread isn't for you.
    I must blame it on my poor English. I was trying to say that I used to be interested but I gave up on them because for me they did not work. I don't know why I thought that would be relevant information for anyone.
    Last edited by darkdreams; 5th December 2008 at 02:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No worries, darkdreams. I think I was reacting more to the comment that followed yours and went off a little. Sorry! Maybe self tanners don't work with all skin types. We already know how it is with fragrance!

lilybelle~ I have couple of caveats regarding booth spraying. The first is that their darkest setting does make you super tan. Of course, in Florida you can get away with it more easily. I'm so jealous-- I just checked my mom's weather, and it's 78ļ back home! Warm enough for the beach, but the water might be too chilly for us natives! Secondly, if you use an automatic booth, it's more challenging to keep your cuticles, the web spaces between your fingers and toes, and the bottoms of your feet from looking stained. Right after I get sprayed, I wipe these areas thoroughly with a provided towelette. They also give you a hand towel and recommend that you use it to lightly buff the skin afterward and evenly distribute the spray. I didn't do this the first time thinking, "I just paid good money for this stuff; I'm not wiping it off!" And I ended up streaky and uneven. Ankles in particular can get streaky because of the way the liquid runs down. Oh, well! I'm done tanning until next spring anyway.

Oh, I nearly forgot-- This year I tried some towelettes by Loreal that worked great! They were kind of like a big glove that fit over the hand. One towelette gave good coverage all over, it looked even, and the color was really nice!
    Last edited by Heartwood; 5th December 2008 at 04:28 PM.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like

an oud girl, I didn't mean to offend anyone with my comment and if I weren't intereted in the thread, I wouldn't have posted anything. Like darkdreams, I tried lots of products, but I just gave up because my skin is too white and self tanners won't make it look much better. My skin barely tans and it took me a while to accept this without considering that I look like Morticia compared to all the dark skins around me.
    However, I read some opinions here about some products which I haven't used, so I'll probably give it one more try.

Post Thanks / Like

so these creams tan your skin?!
    Does it hurt like a real sun burn?
    Last edited by irish; 5th December 2008 at 05:54 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they're supposed to tan your skin, and no, it doesn't hurt at all [that was so funny!]. Unfortunately, it depends on the type of skin and on the product, as most of what I used made my skin look orange and really not natural.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lady M.~ Maybe tanning lotions don't work well on creamy, flawless skin. I'd love to have your Morticia complexion! But the years of sun damage have left me freckled and not quite pale, but not tan either. I think I just look bleh, and I really don't like the way my legs look in the summer without a 'tan'.

Irish~ Check out Dancing with the Stars videos on youtube. I read that EVERYONE gets spray tanned weekly on that show. I imagine they must sometimes look like a bunch waltzing brazil nuts, but I guess it makes them look better on t.v.

Yes, the creams contain chemical that gets absorbed into the skin and turns brown. There's no radiation involved, so there's no burn (it doesn't hurt). A more advanced answer is here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunless_tanning

I guess this sounds really weird to you with your gorgeous, golden, Mexican skin. Just call me, "Chica blanca loca!"
    Last edited by Heartwood; 5th December 2008 at 07:01 PM.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like

Lady M.~ Maybe tanning lotions don't work well on creamy, flawless skin. I'd love to have your Morticia complexion! But the years of sun damage have left me freckled and not quite pale, but not tan either. I think I just look bleh, and I really don't like the way my legs look in the summer without a 'tan'.
    I also have a problem with my legs during the summer, I feel like everyone is staring at them. That's the main reason for which I tried self tanning creames.

Post Thanks / Like

Irish~ Check out Dancing with the Stars videos on youtube. I read that EVERYONE gets spray tanned weekly on that show. I imagine they must sometimes look like a bunch waltzing brazil nuts, but I guess it makes them look better on t.v.

Yes, the creams contain chemical that gets absorbed into the skin and turns brown. There's no radiation involved, so there's no burn (it doesn't hurt). A more advanced answer is here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunless_tanning

I guess this sounds really weird to you with your gorgeous, golden, Mexican skin. Just call me, "Chica blanca loca!"
    Thanks an_oud_girl.
    Nah you are cool. I have darker skin than the average American, but I also get pale after a winter in Michigan. While BN was down I investigated the subject. I went to wikipedia and read that article. And the article about tanning beds, and tanning booths, and light Interference (seriously, the wiki is like crack). I guess I never really paid much attention to the act of tanning, and after reading about it, I began to suspect that my girlfriend uses those creams.
    For a moment, I thought these sprays and creams would cause a reaction similar to the commercial shaving powders. That stuff burns like hell! I was smart enough to not apply it on my face
    Last edited by irish; 6th December 2008 at 10:00 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Most recently I have been using the Jergens Glow which is a moisturizer with self tanner in it. I like it because it gives me a nice natural color and its gradual. The only not nice thing is it still gives off that self tanner smell.

One product that I used a few years ago and was truly easy and effective is called Tan Towels. They come like the little towelettes you get after a meal to wipe your hands with. Very easy to use and little to no smell. They originally started on QVC but I found them in a little general store when I was in Vermont. I think they are more readily available now. Just Google them.

Post Thanks / Like

Ach, every year I end up buying a bottle of fake tan of one kind or another and every year I end up streaky and dirty-looking. So I have totally given up on them.

However!!!!! I do use the 'moisturiser with a bit of fake tan' approach and find that works very well, on both face and legs. I have an Olay overnight moisturise with a touch of tan that perks my face up when I'm looking pasty but doesn't turn me orange. And I've tried a couple of the body moisturisers plus tan and found them good too.

The beauty of them is that you put the stuff on and just look 'your skin but after a walk in the sunshine' and you can build it up over days. So if and when it starts to look a bit grubby, as fake tans always do, you can simply exfoliate and go back a couple of steps. And you don't need to spend much money on them - all the drugstore brands have a 'golden glow' option.

Much cheaper and safer than using tanning beds.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Post Thanks / Like

Wordie ~ thanks for your post, I'm going to look for that Olay brand. It sounds just right!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jeez, not self tanning, but try some baby oil laced with iodine

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good luck with Neutrogena and Jergens. I'm light complected and they look natural on my skin, not at all orangey. To get good results, be sure to exfoliate first, using either a scrub or exfoliating gloves in the shower, you won't get blotches as easily. When you get out of the shower, do not dry off, the water beads on you skin will help the lotion to go on more evenly, so you won't get streaking. You can even add a few drops of water to the blob of lotion in your palms before you spread it on your skin to thin out the consistency.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Jeez, not self tanning, but try some baby oil laced with iodine
    Been there, done that!

I'm telling you all who have had issues with streaks, orange tone, or splotches; get a self tanner from Sisley or SkinCeuticals. They really look natural and if you use them for 2-3 days in a row you have a serious tan that lasts for 2 weeks. Great stuff I swear.

I like products from a line called St. Tropez, they have a lotion, and a mousse. (also pre tan stuff, but I haven't tried )I like the mousse best, it spreads and absorbs easier. There are levels to choose from, Level 3 will get you darker than most anything out there in my opinion. It looks scary when you apply it because it has a tint so you can see where it's going but the color you get in the end looks nice and bronze-y not orange. They also have a Tan Remover, which is a scrub that helps tanned palms and oopsies. I use gloves then apply the tanner to the backs of my hands and fingers with a make up sponge but still sometimes I need the scrub to lighten knees a bit. All self tanners have the "smell" which sadly comes from the tanning ingredient itself, but I don't notice it as much with this. I've never seen it in stores but you can find online, I think Sephora has it.

Far and away the best self-tanner I've used is Clarins Delicious Self-Tanning Cream. My biggest grip with self-tanners is that they either produce too much unnatural color (L'Oreal) or they don't do enough (Toma); in the latter case you have to apply several times in succession, which causes the awful dryness.

Another gripe is how these products wear off. Many of them speckle.

The Clarins product gives me perfect color, right in the middle of the range. It lasts for a week and wears off evenly. I don't need to apply twice, so the dryness is minimized.

A big drawback is price. A tub contains 3.9 ounces and sells for $42.00. This is enough for about four (or maybe five) full-body applications. This is worth trying to get on eBay for a lower price, although I haven't seen it sell for that much less than retail.

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    I've never seen it in stores but you can find online, I think Sephora has it.
    Correction: Oops! Not at Sephora, but here http://www.sttropeztan.com/the-range.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    I like products from a line called St. Tropez, they have a lotion, and a mousse. (also pre tan stuff, but I haven't tried )I like the mousse best, it spreads and absorbs easier. There are levels to choose from, Level 3 will get you darker than most anything out there in my opinion. It looks scary when you apply it because it has a tint so you can see where it's going but the color you get in the end looks nice and bronze-y not orange. They also have a Tan Remover, which is a scrub that helps tanned palms and oopsies. I use gloves then apply the tanner to the backs of my hands and fingers with a make up sponge but still sometimes I need the scrub to lighten knees a bit. All self tanners have the "smell" which sadly comes from the tanning ingredient itself, but I don't notice it as much with this. I've never seen it in stores but you can find online, I think Sephora has it.
    THIS ^^^^^^

St Tropez mousse is the BEST self tanner I have ever used. My friend's super fair husband turned me on to it! Diligent hand washing after wards is key, but the beauty of this is it colours you right away, so you can see where it is!

No lotion or spray has come close and I have tried them all. I bottle lasts a whole summer season and more. I use a little bit on my face- non oily and no need for any tinted moisturizer or anything. Just looks like I spent a nice weekend on my boat

While looking for different sites that I could find what Iím looking for, Iíve seen one of the site that introduce 5 best self tanner without sun exposure that we always avoiding with. The popular bronze instant bronze what we call Neutrogena a 2 in one product I should say because of its ability to be an instant bronzer and at the same time a sunless tanner. Iím not yet trying this product but my friends testify it to me but of course I want to make sure that it wonít harm my skin. If you still want some various products that would fit your skin just look for a dermatologist or specialist that could advice you with like what I did. Keep smiling!

Thanks a lot and have a nice day ahead!
    Last edited by socalwoman; 12th April 2010 at 10:48 PM.