Code of Conduct

Thread: Youth-Dew

Post Thanks / Like

Default Youth-Dew

I have come to the conclusion today, after wearing Youth-Dew by Estee Lauder, that this fragrance is wonderful. My friend gave me a bottle last week, a very late Christmas present, and I am once again so smitten. I have loved this fragrance all of my life, when I was a baby my mother would scent my bathwater with the oil, and it still moves me.
    I can honestly say; in this day of fragrances costing hundreds of dollars, and being soooo exclusive it is like finding the Holy Grail at times, and everything so minimalistic or overdone in packaging, Youth-Dew is an oasis. This magical, exotic, sensual experience in a bottle, in all of its' $29.00 glory, far outshines so many things I am amazed. I find that I keep bouncing between this and Shalimar over the past week, and have lost interest in the rest of my collection.
    I was inspired to write this thread because the other day, while shopping in Neimans in Boston, my favorite SA (and friend) had me spraying on all things lovely, new, and super expensive. They were all nice, but in the back of my mind I was truly thinking; "My cheap, and overlooked at times, Youth-Dew is far more inspiring to me than any of these bank-breaking scents." And...I was curious to see if any other basenoters liked Youth-Dew also, and if you are not familiar with it; do yourself a favor and go to the nearest Lauder counter and have a whiff.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Youth-Dew

Just one whiff of Youth Dew takes me back to the early 1970s, when I was first starting my music career. At the time, there was an exceptional male violinist, then in his 50s, who accepted me, a young twirp, in "the trenches". In his own way, he inspired me to succeed. There was never a performance when he was without his Youth Dew.

Now, anytime I smell it, I remember the struggles, the frustration, the excitement, and eventual success. It produces reminiscences of a life that has overall gone all right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    Just one whiff of Youth Dew takes me back to the early 1970s, when I was first starting my music career. At the time, there was an exceptional male violinist, then in his 50s, who accepted me, a young twirp, in "the trenches". In his own way, he inspired me to succeed. There was never a performance when he was without his Youth Dew.

Now, anytime I smell it, I remember the struggles, the frustration, the excitement, and eventual success. It produces reminiscences of a life that has overall gone all right.
    That is such a lovely story, and such a wonderful way to see the power of a scent. I am so happy it brings others as much joy as it brings me.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You know I like Youth Dew on other people, but wouldn't wear it myself. My Auntie, who is 100 years old wears this. It's been her signature for as long as I can remember. I love to smell it on her and I think of her whenever I smell it. With the right body chemistry Youth Dew does smell amazing. But Honey Child when it's mixed with the wrong chemistry, it will send you running. I've smelled it on some folks that needed to head straight for the showers.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

The trick with Youth Dew is, in my opinion, a light application. When applied this way, I think it really soars.

I also think Tom Ford did a wonderful job with Youth Dew Amber Nude - it is one of the sexiest fragrances on a woman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    You know I like Youth Dew on other people, but wouldn't wear it myself. My Auntie, who is 100 years old wears this. It's been her signature for as long as I can remember. I love to smell it on her and I think of her whenever I smell it. With the right body chemistry Youth Dew does smell amazing. But Honey Child when it's mixed with the wrong chemistry, it will send you running. I've smelled it on some folks that needed to head straight for the showers.
    I couldn't agree more! I've smelled YD on certain people and taken an extra deep breath for its' beauty...but on others, myself included, it's just plain awful!

When I was younger, I always considered Youth Dew to be more suited to my friends' mums. It always smelled great on other people, but it was too heavy for me. I had a similar attitude to Opium. I think both of these perfumes would probably suit me well now - as I have become one of those 'frends' mums' and my own daughter is 18. Scary how time passes so quickly...
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The trick with Youth Dew is, in my opinion, a light application. When applied this way, I think it really soars.

I also think Tom Ford did a wonderful job with Youth Dew Amber Nude - it is one of the sexiest fragrances on a woman.
    Totally agree, when I smell a hint of Youth Dew I am always delighted by it. The totality of the scent really does "soar" in whispers while a heavy hand leaves me nothing but sweet cinnamon and clove. My mother wore this often and the early moments of her application were suffocating. And she used a light hand as it dried into something wonderful.

Tom Ford's version is one of my daughters' great favorites. I think of it as a sheer version of its namesake with the heavier spices toned down and the florals and amber amped up.

I often feel that somehow the Youth Dew phenomenon missed my generation and that women of my age group gravitated towards White Linen, Estee and Cinnabar instead. About a year ago I bought my first bottle of the original YD as part of a holiday set. It really is a timeless fragrance, but I think many of us associate it so strongly with our moms and aunts that we find it difficult. Difficult, in the sense that we feel that we're wearing our mothers shoes and pearls. Scent can be such a powerful inducer of memories.and YD is something that will probably always do this for me so we have a weird relationship.

My mother was very much into fragrances when I was a young girl and she bought Youth Dew for my older sister as a 16th birthday present. My sister loved it so much, it is still her favourite scent although she can afford to buy more expensive perfumes. I think its a very sexy, beautiful fragrance and it always reminds me of my glamorous sister!
    Last edited by Artemisia; 15th March 2008 at 02:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My Grandmother and a couple of my Aunts wore Youth Dew.

I find it very heavy and cloying on my own skin, alhough I may have been heavy handed with my application which is probably why! It is very potent perfume !

I have never tried Tom Ford's Youth Dew Amber Nude. I would really like to try this one out. Next time I'm in town I think I will sample them both. I'll put Youth Dew one one wrist and Youth Dew Amber Nude on the other. I haven't smelled Youth Dew for years and judging by the way my tastes in perfume have changed over the years I may well like it now!

Post Thanks / Like

Bought a bottle of Amber Nude today, so watch out Mike Perez ;-)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Post Thanks / Like

Youth Dew was the signature scent of my petite spitfire Grandmother. It along with my Moms Nina Ricci are the earliest scent memories for me. Youth Dew was also my Mother-in-Laws signature scent. I can not smell YD without thinking of those two women with such strong personalities. The one and only time I attemped to wear it I felt like a little girl playing dress up. I just could not make the fragance mine.

I love Youth Dew! I have the vintage EDP in the pale blue bottle (Thank You Taolady!!) and it's divine. Nobody in my life wore it so I have no scent associations but it was the scent Mr.tinker's grandmother wore so he'd prefer that I never wear it.

I've loved and worn YD since the dark ages, right along with my beloved Opium. I think YDAN is just as gorgeous, and very wearable. I liked heavy orientals in my early 20's, when my friends were all wearing floral and sporty scents. I'll have these in my collection forever, or at least as long as they are still in production anyway! Yum!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Bought a bottle of Amber Nude today, so watch out Mike Perez ;-)
    Grr...

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    I couldn't agree more! I've smelled YD on certain people and taken an extra deep breath for its' beauty...but on others, myself included, it's just plain awful!
    Ditto, ditto. I smelled something wonderful on a lady of my acquaintance the other day and was astonished to learn it was Youth Dew. It's a real scrubber on me.

But of course now I want to give it another go.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Post Thanks / Like

I adore Youth Dew, but it is impossible for me to distinguish whether this is because it was the signature scent of my beloved Grandmother. As for me wearing it...does...not...compute... I have similar issues with Chanel 22 which smells exactly like church to me. I love the smell, but it would be too bizarre for my body to smell of it.