Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Default

    I am one of the newbies to this board, so thanks in advance for being patient...
    I have been searching for some time for my "ideal" vanilla scent(s). I love the smell of vanilla, but don't want to smell like I've been dunked in waffle cone batter. All of the more "sophisticated" vanilla fragrances I've tried aren't vanilla-y enough for me. I really like Tihota, but for $250 a bottle I need to be mad for it to buy it, and I'm not. Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks!

    Update June 18 2008
    Well, after trying Tihota multiple times I became mad, no, make that insanely obsessed with it. Somehow I got my paws on TWO bottles of it. Just sold one. The other is as dreamy and loved as ever, since purchasing in May. Of the fragrances suggested I've tried most now, and have come up with several that are FBW. My top ten straight up, vanilla is the star, vanillas (in no order except Tihota is number one):
    Tihota,
    CSP Vanille Extreme
    Montale Vanille Absolu
    SL Un Bois Vanille
    Des Filles a la Vanille, Vanille
    Molinard Les Senteurs Vanille (less expensive)
    Laurence Dumont Vanille Bourbon (really inexpensive)
    Ligne St. Barth Vanille West Indies
    IPFD Vaniglia del Madagascar
    and: Jalaine Vanille (probably my second favorite)

    Am also working on a top ten list of Vanilla + where vanilla is still the star, but other notes are also important, not just accents.

    Thanks again, everyone
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 19th June 2008 at 01:48 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    Have you tried Bulgari Black? That's rubber, smoke, black tea and a lingering vanilla note.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

    Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

    Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    lizzie, which ones have you already tried?

    At the risk of suggesting ones you have tried, I suggest Shalimar, Spiritueuse Double Vanille and Musc Ravageur.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    Vanilla, spices, woods: Guerlain's Heritage. It makes a bold statement. Moreover, its overall execution and effect suggest that one doesn't have to spend a million bucks to feel like a million bucks.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    I'll second zatarain's suggestion of Spiritueuse and also suggest Givenchy Pi. I think it can easily be considered a unisex scent. Some of the reviews say it's overly sweet, but it's really not as sweet as some of the other gourmand scents I have.
    .
    Sniff and let sniff.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    montales vanilla absolu and i profumi di firenzes vaniglia del madagascar smell very similiar to tihota.
    Last edited by syntheticangel; 14th March 2008 at 11:48 PM.

  7. #7
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,353

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford
    Vanille 44 by Le Labo

    The 'grown up vanilla' trifecta.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th March 2008 at 12:42 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    Givenchy Organza Indecence
    Annick Goutal Vanille Exquise
    L'Artisan Vanilia

    Just a few to add to the already great suggestions

  9. #9

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    Givenchy Organza Indecence is pretty wonderful. Vanilla and woods, pretty exuberant, yet not syrupy.
    "The death of Satan was a tragedy for the imagination."

  10. #10

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford
    Vanille 44 by Le Labo

    The 'grown up vanilla' trifecta.
    I tried Tobacco and Vanille by Tom Ford for the first time today and it smells like you are wearing Vanilla Extract with Tobacco leaves sprinkled on your body. They could not have called this scent anything else. My wife really likes it on me. If you like vanilla and tobacco, this one is for you. For me, I think I am going to get a bottle of it. It is on my short list anyway.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    Bois de Vanille, Snake Oil, Love's True Bluish Light
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

  12. #12

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    That Tobacco Vanille sounds very good. Another one for the 'must sniff' list, along with Bois de Vanille...
    I've been on a vanilla jag recently and I really like Guerlain's Spiriteuse Double Vanille - it has made me wonder if there's a vanilla liqueur out there somewhere (any suggestions?) as it's absolutely drinkable stuff (as opposed to edible). And I'll second the Ava Luxe perfumes recommended already - Love's True Bluish Light is beautiful. Having just checked the Ava-luxe.com website I see she also has Vanilla Musk for sale at the moment, which sounds nice too. I can also recommend Dior Addict (the original blue one) - very nice vanilla. Also Kenzo Amour - comforting foody vanilla.

    My most obvious suggestion would be the Comptoir Sud Pacifique range, many of which are based on "vanilla plus something" (coconut, apricot, tiare etc). I don't know if they'd count as sophisticated, but they're well worth smelling if you come across them.

    Funnily enough, today I tried Dior's Dolce Vita, which has a very nice base that apparently contains vanilla - I'm liking this and finding it a bit like Shisedo's Femininite du Bois and Vol de Nuit Evasion (the travel one with vanilla and peaches). The vanilla I'd love to get a bottle of is Guerlain's Attrape Coeur - that stuff is incredible. I have been known to wear Shalimar solely for the vanilla basenote that follows the citrus opening. The nice thing about the big-hitting Guerlains and Diors is that they are widely available to try and not so expensive to buy if you go to the online discounters.

    Finally, if you want to find a long list of perfumes that contain vanilla somewhere in their recipe, go to the directory here at Basenotes and type vanilla into the box at the bottom of the search form. You can refine things by adding other notes you want or selecting which house you want to search within. I just tried it with Christian Dior and discovered that Hypnotic Poison is apparently a very sexy vanilla. Well well, who'da guessed? Must smell that one soon.

    One thought if you're really just craving vanilla and want to pull up that note in your fragrances is to layer on the vanilla skin products - shower gel, body lotion, deodorant - and you'll be basically vanillic before you start.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 15th March 2008 at 04:28 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

    I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

  14. #14

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    For a less expensive option, Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon is worth checking out. It's a pretty straight-forward vanilla scent, with a tiny hint of the boozy note that I love in Spiritueuse Double Vanille. YR offers generous "try-me" sizes of many of their scents.

    (Their Neonatura Cocoon is also nice, but it's vanilla with cocoa & patchouli.)
    .
    Sniff and let sniff.

  15. #15
    kopah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    421
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    I don't know if I'd consider Montale Vanille a grown-up vanilla. Initially, it strongly reminds me of meringue; after a couple of hours, one person next to me commented that it smelled like white chocolate. It's definitely big on vanilla, though.

    I absolutely adore i Profumi di Firenze Vaniglia del Madagascar. When I first bought it for my fiancee I thought it smelled like marshmallows, but as my nose becomes more tuned I realize that it's vanilla combined with a subtle floral (the notes say vanilla orchid - is this just the vanilla blossom as opposed to the bean or pod?). It's a potent vanilla, to be sure, and it's also very sophisticated and feminine.

    I think Malle's Musc Ravageur is indisputably a grown-up (or is that "adult"?) vanilla, but I really think of it more as a musk with vanilla underpinnings. It's probably not for vanilla purists, but if you like musk at all, definitely give it a try.

    Despite having owned a bottle of Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille for over a month, I haven't tried it yet. This may, in fact, be a crime in some states. I can say, though, that I really loved it on the tester ribbon they gave me at the Guerlain boutique, and it does seem to be one of the most highly-regarded vanillas out there. Very hard to find and very expensive if you want a full bottle, but it's almost certainly worth it.

    Finally, I think Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille is quite nice, and it definitely qualifies as grown-up, but I wonder if you would find it too masculine. It seems to be more about spices and vanilla than tobacco and vanilla; it kind of reminds me of nutmeg, or maybe egg nog. You may also find this one not vanilla-centric enough.

    @ Wordbird - you might try vanilla schnapps.
    Last edited by kopah; 15th March 2008 at 06:18 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    Tobacco Vanille
    Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon
    La Maison de la Vanille Vanille Sauvage de Madagascar
    Hermes Vetiver Tonka

    Tried to give you a mix of affordable and niche scents above.

    Tobacco Vanille is on my FB list, and last year I sprang for a bottle of Vetiver Tonka because it's just GORGEOUS and very grown-up, on either men or women.

    On the more affordable end, I echo the earlier recommendations for Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon as a *great* cheap vanilla that smells fairly high end (I layer with Ava Luxe's Teakwood with superb results). And Vanille Sauvage Madagascar is now available for $10 (plus shipping of course) on Sephora.com --
    Notes:
    Bergamot, Lavender, Coriander, Geranium, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Incense, Vetiver.


    Have fun, and let us know what you end up with!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

    My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

  17. #17

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    Givenchy Organza Indecence is wonderful. I am a man but my cousin used to own this scent, and wow it smelled great on her. She even received compliments from people outside, and the scent is pretty much vanilla-dominant, but not like vanilla ice-cream. Try it and you'll know. The problem is that I think they might've discontinued it as it's hard to find online with exception of e-bay, although some people said they found it at Sephora. Anyway, good luck finding a scent, and if you look for Organza Indecence, make sure you don't get it confused with the other Organza's (original Organza and Organza First Light, original smells terrible)

  18. #18

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford
    Vanille 44 by Le Labo

    The 'grown up vanilla' trifecta.
    I second that list. Though all you really need is that first one
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

  19. #19

    Default Re: Grown-up vanilla?

    Thanks everyone for the excellent and diverse suggestions. I have only tried a few of the fragrances suggested, and am excited to try more. I'm sure I'll find my ultimate vanilla scent (s). Yay!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Have you tried Bulgari Black? That's rubber, smoke, black tea and a lingering vanilla note.
    I'm a little anxious about trying something that sounds so strange at this point in my "fragrance appreciating" career. It sounds like something I might LOVE in a year, but not right now. Need more experience...does that make sense? Thanks for the suggestion, though, and I'm putting it in my notes...Lizzie J
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    That Tobacco Vanille sounds very good. Another one for the 'must sniff' list, along with Bois de Vanille...
    I've been on a vanilla jag recently and I really like Guerlain's Spiriteuse Double Vanille - it has made me wonder if there's a vanilla liqueur out there somewhere (any suggestions?) as it's absolutely drinkable stuff (as opposed to edible). And I'll second the Ava Luxe perfumes recommended already - Love's True Bluish Light is beautiful. Having just checked the Ava-luxe.com website I see she also has Vanilla Musk for sale at the moment, which sounds nice too. I can also recommend Dior Addict (the original blue one) - very nice vanilla. Also Kenzo Amour - comforting foody vanilla.

    My most obvious suggestion would be the Comptoir Sud Pacifique range, many of which are based on "vanilla plus something" (coconut, apricot, tiare etc). I don't know if they'd count as sophisticated, but they're well worth smelling if you come across them.

    Funnily enough, today I tried Dior's Dolce Vita, which has a very nice base that apparently contains vanilla - I'm liking this and finding it a bit like Shisedo's Femininite du Bois and Vol de Nuit Evasion (the travel one with vanilla and peaches). The vanilla I'd love to get a bottle of is Guerlain's Attrape Coeur - that stuff is incredible. I have been known to wear Shalimar solely for the vanilla basenote that follows the citrus opening. The nice thing about the big-hitting Guerlains and Diors is that they are widely available to try and not so expensive to buy if you go to the online discounters.

    Finally, if you want to find a long list of perfumes that contain vanilla somewhere in their recipe, go to the directory here at Basenotes and type vanilla into the box at the bottom of the search form. You can refine things by adding other notes you want or selecting which house you want to search within. I just tried it with Christian Dior and discovered that Hypnotic Poison is apparently a very sexy vanilla. Well well, who'da guessed? Must smell that one soon.

    One thought if you're really just craving vanilla and want to pull up that note in your fragrances is to layer on the vanilla skin products - shower gel, body lotion, deodorant - and you'll be basically vanillic before you start.

    Thanks for all the terrific suggestions. I am being a little timid and not trying stuff that's too far-out sounding right away. The CSP fragrances are a little too sweet for my skin, though they smell absolutely wonderful on my tween daughter's skin. I especially love it when she wears the Vanilla Peach. I will definitely try the Bois de Vanille and the Tobacco Vanille. I've tried the Guerlain you mention and it's lovely, but not quite vanilla-y enough. I love Hypnotic Poison too, but it doesn't feel like vanilla is at all the central character, and that's what I'm looking for. Love the layering idea. Will try it! Thank you for such a thoughtful and helpful response. Lizzie J.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by RomanceSilver View Post
    Givenchy Organza Indecence is wonderful. I am a man but my cousin used to own this scent, and wow it smelled great on her. She even received compliments from people outside, and the scent is pretty much vanilla-dominant, but not like vanilla ice-cream. Try it and you'll know. The problem is that I think they might've discontinued it as it's hard to find online with exception of e-bay, although some people said they found it at Sephora. Anyway, good luck finding a scent, and if you look for Organza Indecence, make sure you don't get it confused with the other Organza's (original Organza and Organza First Light, original smells terrible)
    Thank you. I'm going to look for it today! Lizzie J.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    Tobacco Vanille
    Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon
    La Maison de la Vanille Vanille Sauvage de Madagascar
    Hermes Vetiver Tonka

    Tried to give you a mix of affordable and niche scents above.

    Tobacco Vanille is on my FB list, and last year I sprang for a bottle of Vetiver Tonka because it's just GORGEOUS and very grown-up, on either men or women.

    On the more affordable end, I echo the earlier recommendations for Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon as a *great* cheap vanilla that smells fairly high end (I layer with Ava Luxe's Teakwood with superb results). And Vanille Sauvage Madagascar is now available for $10 (plus shipping of course) on Sephora.com --
    Notes:
    Bergamot, Lavender, Coriander, Geranium, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Incense, Vetiver.


    Have fun, and let us know what you end up with!
    Thanks for the suggestions! I have already ordered a sample of the Vetiver Tonka, and a bottle of the Vanille Bourbon which, for the price, is worth trying even if it's only mediocre on my skin! I tried the Sauvage Madagascar at my local Sephora and liked but did not love it (a little too waffle cone-ish), but did not notice the price. For $10 I might love it! Need to return to Sephora asap. Also, love the layering suggestion. Awesome. Lizzie J
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    For a less expensive option, Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon is worth checking out. It's a pretty straight-forward vanilla scent, with a tiny hint of the boozy note that I love in Spiritueuse Double Vanille. YR offers generous "try-me" sizes of many of their scents.

    (Their Neonatura Cocoon is also nice, but it's vanilla with cocoa & patchouli.)
    Thanks...I've already ordered both the Vanilla Bourbon and the Neonatura. What terrific prices! Lizzie J
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    I don't know if I'd consider Montale Vanille a grown-up vanilla. Initially, it strongly reminds me of meringue; after a couple of hours, one person next to me commented that it smelled like white chocolate. It's definitely big on vanilla, though.

    I absolutely adore i Profumi di Firenze Vaniglia del Madagascar. When I first bought it for my fiancee I thought it smelled like marshmallows, but as my nose becomes more tuned I realize that it's vanilla combined with a subtle floral (the notes say vanilla orchid - is this just the vanilla blossom as opposed to the bean or pod?). It's a potent vanilla, to be sure, and it's also very sophisticated and feminine.

    I think Malle's Musc Ravageur is indisputably a grown-up (or is that "adult"?) vanilla, but I really think of it more as a musk with vanilla underpinnings. It's probably not for vanilla purists, but if you like musk at all, definitely give it a try.

    Despite having owned a bottle of Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille for over a month, I haven't tried it yet. This may, in fact, be a crime in some states. I can say, though, that I really loved it on the tester ribbon they gave me at the Guerlain boutique, and it does seem to be one of the most highly-regarded vanillas out there. Very hard to find and very expensive if you want a full bottle, but it's almost certainly worth it.

    Finally, I think Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille is quite nice, and it definitely qualifies as grown-up, but I wonder if you would find it too masculine. It seems to be more about spices and vanilla than tobacco and vanilla; it kind of reminds me of nutmeg, or maybe egg nog. You may also find this one not vanilla-centric enough.

    @ Wordbird - you might try vanilla schnapps.
    I have tried the Montale Vanille and it's lovely, but it didn't last on my skin. It certainly had a strong Vanilla character. The Vaniglia del Madagascar you mention was also very vanilla-centric and I liked it a lot, but there was no obsessive love, and that's what I want. (Perhaps I want the impossible? A vanilla-centric scent that avoids the sugary sweetness of so many, lasts a long time, is complex and layered and dark, but with vanilla as the star throughout. Hmmmmm. Tihota almost has it, but is not quite layered and complex enough. Just VANILLA and musc on me..that's it. Maybe if I layer it with something else. I digress....) So many have recommended the Tom Ford that I've now ordered a decant. Masculine does not worry me at all. It's the tobacco. We'll see. And Musc Ravageur smells wonderful to me, like sex in a bottle, but I don't dare wear it in public. (Oh yes, I want a vanilla I can wear a lot--another requirement!).
    Thanks for your post. I really appreciate the suggestions! So much fun work to do now! Lizzie J.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by uli View Post
    Vanilla, spices, woods: Guerlain's Heritage. It makes a bold statement. Moreover, its overall execution and effect suggest that one doesn't have to spend a million bucks to feel like a million bucks.
    Sounds yummy. I'll try it!
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 17th March 2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •