Code of Conduct

Default Buying Moratorium

No this isn't another post checking myself into the Ernie Gallo Clinic or bemoaning an uncontrollable addiction. It's actually a lot more contented than that. I think I have reached wardrobe equilibrium for a while. I just purchased Kouros and Vintage Tabarome, to complement my recent spree of Erolfa, Vetiver '48, Safari and Montana Red.

For once, I don't have anything pressing or urgent on my wish list. I feel content.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Cheers

Ged

PS well I did see a bottle of YSL PH Haute Concentree cheap on ebay, and thought it would complement Kouros as a kinda stinky summer frag....
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Default Re: Buying Moratorium

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    PS well I did see a bottle of YSL PH Haute Concentree cheap on ebay, and thought it would complement Kouros as a kinda stinky summer frag....
    See? You couldn't even make it to the end of your post before backsliding!
    As for myself, I only have three that I have any desire for now: Bois d'Iris, MKK, and Vetiver Extraordinaire. After that, I'M DONE!!!

p.s. Until I discover something else that tickles my nose...

Later edit: p.p.s. Add LeLabo 31 to my list. I need that one bad.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 15th March 2008 at 03:55 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Yep, felt that way too recently... but there always seems something new and interesting to sample. Big purchases have subsided and I've just enjoyed sampling a lot of things shared from our basenotes friends here! I think for me, sampling and sharing has become the favorite thing for me...!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Well, I am temporary not buying anything... Until I see something special on discount...

I understand completely. Right now I am able to be content with my wardrobe with the EXCEPTION of a Chanel addition. Thought I would choke before I got my wonderful Caron, Yatagan. Love it. Now if I can decide between Egoiste and Pour Monsieur Concentree I will be on idle for a while. Now feeling the need to empty a few bottles before charging full force ahead again!

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    Yep, felt that way too recently... but there always seems something new and interesting to sample. Big purchases have subsided and I've just enjoyed sampling a lot of things shared from our basenotes friends here! I think for me, sampling and sharing has become the favorite thing for me...!
    I very much agree with Schachman .... .. thou I have another 5 full ones in the pipeline ...

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

[quote=Ged;1180300]

Does anyone else feel this way?

quote]

No, I don't feel that way at all, you can't help yourself, as a matter of fact I'll bet you five bucks you can't go for 30 days without slipping We're on the honor system here. If by April 15th you've bought a bottle of something,(not decant or sample) you can PayPal me at jakmak52@earthlink.net. If you haven't, I owe you

All in good fun

Jack
    Last edited by silverbullet; 15th March 2008 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    I very much agree with Schachman .... .. thou I have another 5 full ones in the pipeline ...
    Hi D! Yes, a few months ago I was spending about $100 - $150 per month on bottles (but to my defense, it was near Christmas time and there were plenty of sales! ) But yes, I recently purchased a couple bottles too - but nothing like before. I think the sampling has helped me focus on a few more interesting things (thanks! )

I'm hopeless, my only refuge is bankruptcy, which should be imminent
    Just now, that damn nasomatto thread has me all curious again.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I gave up discretionary purchases for Lent, which has allowed me to focus on my stash of samples, swapping samples with others, and pruning my collection. I have not pruned as much as I would like, both due to lack of interest in the marketplace and downright indecisiveness on my part, but I appreciate the introspection this brief sabbatical has inspired, and I think I will continue to be more discriminating in my purchases after Easter (and yes, I already have a list of purchases lined up).

Post Re: Buying Moratorium

On the horizon, when the Ormonde Jayne site is up, and running here in the US. I plan on getting a bottle of Ormonde Man for sure. I have been trying to stretch a decant for as long as I can. I have a package of soap from Lafco comming on Monday, but no frags. in the near future.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    I gave up discretionary purchases for Lent, which has allowed me to focus on my stash of samples, swapping samples with others, and pruning my collection. I have not pruned as much as I would like, both due to lack of interest in the marketplace and downright indecisiveness on my part, but I appreciate the introspection this brief sabbatical has inspired, and I think I will continue to be more discriminating in my purchases after Easter (and yes, I already have a list of purchases lined up).
    Hey Circa!

So... what do you have lined up? No... I'm not trying to get you to buy anything - Easter isn't too far away now... really... just a week... one more week... but wouldn't that one bottle of Black Tie just look so nice on your wardrobe? It would be so dark and interesting... don't you think? C'mon... one bottle wouldn't hurt... just one (So sagt der Teufel! )

I made a resolution that I would only buy one per month this year, and that the total for 2008 will be under $1,000. So far, I'm on track, although today I purchased the one for April a couple weeks early. Here's what I've bought so far and how much I've paid for them, inc. shipping:

Jan. Fou d'Absinthe L'Artisan $83
    Feb. Eau de Iles MPG $84
    March Spezie LV $102
    April Eau de Glorie Parfum d'Empire $90

I had to come here on this thread and say a little bit-I apologize if it sidebars a bit. After I came back from New York this year I kinda lost my way with fragrances. I had a great time in New York-always do but when I came home something happened-I am yet to find a word for it...LOL.

You see Bermuda has such limited selection of fragrances and it takes so long for anything new to reach here that I got frustrated, irritated and actually mad...LOL. Unless you travel from here often than you will see the same thing over and over again on the shelves. When I read how much new stuff comes out and I can't get to experience it...well what can what say. Yeah one can try decants but living on an island in the atlantic can be expensive for someone to send stuff here so I don't go with that. I don't buy blind either. To ship a brand new fragrance here plus custom duty which is 25% here...Sorry I am not going to do that either..LOL.

So I decided to pull back a bit. I don't even go into the frag shops here as it just frustrates me all over. I do check into Basenotes now and than to get a little insight as to what is happening as I will always have a passion for fragrances. When I read about some of you all's threads and post with your fragance experiencs-I could just cry out in pain.

I did discover one thing though.....I did have a life outside of Basenotes...LOL...Who would have thought??

Well it looks Iike I had better come to the states to live....LOL.

Well continue all of you on your fragrance journey.

Peace,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 15th March 2008 at 05:35 PM.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

You are the devil!! Between your Black Tie and your Carthusia Uomo, you are temptation incarnate. Get thee hence, foul daemon!!

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    Hey Circa!

So... what do you have lined up? No... I'm not trying to get you to buy anything - Easter isn't too far away now... really... just a week... one more week... but wouldn't that one bottle of Black Tie just look so nice on your wardrobe? It would be so dark and interesting... don't you think? C'mon... one bottle wouldn't hurt... just one (So sagt der Teufel! )

Blog Entries

I'm about at the point where I've gotten most of my desires met, I picked up Havana from another member, so really the only things I'm still considering are:

Platinum Egoiste
    Baldessarini
    Gucci PH
    (Maybe) Fuel For Life
    (Maybe) Hermessence Ambre Narguile
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

same here. Only buying a Marc Birley if i can find it for less than 40dls... half a bottle or something like that which is unlikely
    Last edited by irish; 16th March 2008 at 04:04 AM.

I am on the wagon for awhile unless something really interested comes down the pipe.

I've got LDDM, MI, GIT, TDH, Mugler Cologne, Black Aoud and a few others for spring and summer. I may bite on some C&Sno88 toward end of summer.

Although if I find myself reaching for my wallet again, I may have to chek into the Gallo Clinic.

As soon as I acquire these, I'm going to quit altogether

Parfums de Nicolaï New York
    Montale Aoud Damascus
    Frederick Malle Noir Epices
    Hermes Equipage
    Opium PH EDP
    Guerlain Heritage
    Penhaligon Racquets

I really mean it this time!

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post

Montale Aoud Damascus
    Hermes Equipage
    Opium PH EDP
    Guerlain Heritage
    Penhaligon Racquets

You liar

You've been thinking like this everytime you have a wish list haven't you?

How do I know?
    We all think alike under the 'basenotes' spell.

gupts

Smile Re: Buying Moratorium

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post

Montale Aoud Damascus
    Hermes Equipage
    Opium PH EDP
    Guerlain Heritage
    Penhaligon Racquets

Don't look now, but your nose is getting longer by the minute!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Where's the trust, I don't lie, I embellish and exaggerate You know me better than that
    Last edited by silverbullet; 16th March 2008 at 08:24 PM.

While common sense, logic and reason would all dictate otherwise, I really don't think that I'd stop collecting for a while. Which is a little strange, as I can't even remember how I found this site. Yet it's taken over my life... or , depending, I suppose! Maybe both.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

If I had any sense I would have imposed a moratorium on new purchases until I used up some of the fragrances I already have. But alas, my senses take their leave when fragrances are at issue.

I was cool for a while, now I have a list of about 15... most of which are discontinued. gee I love making life easy on myself