Code of Conduct

Arrow Tried Jicky Parfum & Guerlain Heritage today - Similarities anyone?

I was just browsing through the fragrance section in the mall today when I came across a little tester spray bottle of Guerlain Jicky Parfum. Immediately I sprayed some on the back of my palm. Next to it was sitting a big bottle of Guerlain Heritage that I sprayed on my other hand.

The top notes of Jicky were 'sickening' and really harsh. I remember from the threads here that this is indeed a love/hate fragrance and peopl talk of some 'vomit' note in it. I didn't quite come across a vomit note but it was indeed quite unpleasant in the beginning. However in about 30 minutes it turned into something really beautiful. It has this warmth about it and I found it quite nice for the winters.

Guerlain Heritage reminded me of a less sweeter version of 'Egoiste'.
    As it progressed I thought it smelt very similar to Jicky, albeit much less sweet. Jicky is 'darker' and surely is more intense than Heritage. Ofcourse Jicky has much more happening in it than Heritage, but it seems like that they do share a common path for a while where Heritage ends its journey whereas Jicky continues ahead.

Usually when you are comparing two different perfumes and sniffing them one after the other, sometimes they can appear to be similar because we dont give it enough time between sniffing. However I am dead sure of the similarity between the two.

Am I wrong to ascertain this?

Well whatever the conclusion, Jicky is a fine scent indeed and Heritage too is good though to a lesser extent.

gupts

Default Re: Tried Jicky Parfum & Guerlain Heritage today - Similarities anyone?

I thought the same thing.
    Discussed at length by all the Basenotes heavies on this thread:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=194079
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th March 2008 at 01:42 PM.

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Which is the best thread I ever saw in this board, by far.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    Which is the best thread I ever saw in this board, by far.
    Everyone was in top form. It had a lot of passion, for sure.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th March 2008 at 03:34 PM.

smeller

Everyone was in top form. It had a lot of passion, for sure.
    It has a lot of depth also.

I just intended to edit my post. Not just the best thread I ever saw in the board by far, but a trully great one, if not the best ever. As a limited apprentice, I just watched it (wisely).

I think there is no mistaking Heritage and Jicky as not being from the same house. That thread is awesome!
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

I do actually like the opening notes of Jicky and it's not for the civet (or vomit like someone says) that appears later in the heart and drydown, but it's the herbal combo between the lavender and the rosemary that makes the lavender bitter and quite dry. A genial idea to open with such a combo totally counterbalancing the powdery and vanillic drydown

Thanks mate for guiding me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Thanks mate for guiding me to it.
    It's the least I could do for a brother.

Basenotes Institution

Which version of Heritage did you smell? The EdP or the EdT?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Which version of Heritage did you smell? The EdP or the EdT?
    Sorry mate....I should have mentioned it in my original post....I put on 'Heritage edt'.....

I tried the EdP and found it, like the EdP of Habit Rouge to be muted in the top notes and sweeter in the base. Unfortunately, I can't wear Heritage as it gives me a headache.
    The vomit note in the opening of Jicky is from the bergamot and not the civet. I got my hands on a really high quality bergamot extrait and there it was, baby vomit. I can understand that civet does amp up that "ill" note with its fermented cheese smell.

I was about to post my SOTE which is Jicky Parfum de Toilette - A good "home alone" scent - at least for now. I'm just getting to know my Heritage so I'm afraid I must keep my mouth shut. Look forward to some good reading!

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Ruggles for the reminder about this post from last year. I do remember when it started, at the time I hadn't smelled either 3 scents, now the only one I haven't smelled is MdM.

I will never forget Chris's (DustB) description of anise as: 'sour barbed fish hook of a smell'
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th March 2008 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I will never forget Chris's (DustB) description of anise as: 'sour barbed fish hook of a smell'
    That is the ultimate buzz kill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!