Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Pour Troubler - A question to guerlain collectors.

I recently procured a large quadrilobe bottle of Jacques Guerlain's 1911 Pour Troubler. My references indicate that the bottle holds 250ml. To my nose the contents is not pure perfume and it is more like edt or edc. My question is do vintage Guerlains in the quadrilobe (mushroom shaped) bottle ever carried edt or edc? My previous experience is that most quadrilobes contain parfum extrait.
    Last edited by orchid74; 16th March 2008 at 07:37 AM.

Default Re: Guerlain Pour Troubler - A question to guerlain collectors.

Can you post pics of your bottle?
    -

Hi zztop, for comparison I placed my 30ml Jicky parfum extrait next to it. The bottom has an etched Guerlain, Paris France, Bottle Made in France. It has a space in between Paris France - looks like something should have been there. A Bacarrat sticker perhaps? Various sources say Bacarrat only etched their logos in the 1920's. The stopper is full glass/?crystal not the plastermeri they use now.

The aroma is lovely and reminiscent of L'heure Bleue but has a more pronounced citrus top/heart note and a slightly more woody drydown - almost like teak wood perhaps because of the citrus and wood mingling. The heliotrope is evident and I am positive it is not parfum.
    Last edited by orchid74; 16th March 2008 at 07:38 AM.

could be possible that someone watered it down with alcohol (unlikely), or refilled it with an EDC version somewhere along the line (much more likely). It may not even be "pour troubler" that is housed in the bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    could be possible that someone watered it down with alcohol (unlikely), or refilled it with an EDC version somewhere along the line (much more likely). It may not even be "pour troubler" that is housed in the bottle!
    Mystery soon to be solved. Just ordered a sample from the beloved Diane of TPC.

Quote Originally Posted by orchid74 View Post
    Mystery soon to be solved. Just ordered a sample from the beloved Diane of TPC.
    please let us know your findings!

Where is Mr. Guerlain? I expect to so him flying, pipe clenched in his hand, to our rescue.
    Honestly, where is he?

Haha Ruggles, yeah I am flying, sitting here in a sun chair in hot, humid Thailand, pipe clenched in my jaw and a cold Singha beer beside me! One month of traveling is a luxury, but I have family here, so I'm forgiven by my boss.

I COULD have brung my huge, heavy Guerlain book with me, but - believe me or not - I have only taken three half empty Guerlain deodorants with me. The climate here is not really for perfume...

But I remember to have read in my bible that the quadrilobe bottle were simply a standard bottle made in all possible sizes and used for various concentrations of fragrances.

That's a great bottle and find, that Pour Troubler (and, as usual, I just love Guerlain's names for their perfumes).

I will be back in about 10 days, see you then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Where is Mr. Guerlain? I expect to so him flying, pipe clenched in his hand, to our rescue.
    Honestly, where is he?

Good to have our Guerlain experts still with us for future reference!! I have some Mitsouko extrait (in a sizable Baccarat) which I wouldn't mind having checked out some day.

Just received the parfum sample from Diane and happy to say that it is Pour Troubler in edt. A reliable perfume historian has told me that it can not be edc.

The parfum version is amazing and was a revelation to what the edt was only hinting. The teak-wood note I mentioned earlier is deeper and resinous in the parfum. The opening blast of citrus (amplified perhaps by the alcohol content) was almost absent in the parfum but the glorious woody note lasted for at least 2+ hours (I am still counting as I type this). Unfortunately the edt had poor longevity. The parfum version reminded me of the legendary earthiness and dryness of Djedi.

That's a great bottle and find, that Pour Troubler (and, as usual, I just love Guerlain's names for their perfumes).

I agree with Mr. Guerlain that Guerlain always come up with evocative names - Pour Troubler means To Disturb. And I would agree with Jacques Guerlain that Pour Troubler is hauntigly and 'disturbingly' beautiful.
    Last edited by orchid74; 26th March 2008 at 08:03 PM.