Code of Conduct

Thread: SL Rose de Nuit

Default SL Rose de Nuit

From those of you who have tried this, and based on my wardrobe and rose fragrances I do and don't like (discussed below), would anyone think this is one for me?

My main problems with rose are when it smells like urine or soap on me. I *don't* wear soliflore roses well (urine alert), and I really don't like Creed's Jasmal, which on me smells like Jeans-Au-Pisse-Frais.

I like Montale Attar beacuse the rose is lush, but tempered with the sandalwood, however, when it dries it's too soapy for me.

I love Fumerie Turque, but at the end the rose and beeswax combo is kind of nauseating.

I *love* Montale Black Aoud, and have been wearing it every day for the past two weeks, though the ending where the rose is more alone, and a bit syrupy I don't like as much as the devellopment. I like White Aoud alot as well though it's less rose heavy.

Basically, I guess I want to know is how is the rose treated in Rose de Nuit? Is it center stage, or laden with spices?

What can you compare it to? Does it resemble any other Lutens in any aspects? For example I feel like Vetiver Oriental and Gris Clair, smell very different, but each one is given a similar treatment of their main element, vetiver and lavender respectively. Could you compare Rose de Nuit to anything that way?
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: SL Rose de Nuit

Did you ever get to try Rose de Nuit, Caesar?

I have a sample that I have to get around to smelling, one of these days...if I remember correctly it was compared to Aramis...?

Hey Mike - yes recently someone was kind enough to send me a sample when I bought or swapped with them. I wish I was more capable of describing it - and I'm not familliart with Aramis - my friend from Pakistan has many local perfumes and attars, and Rose de Nuit reminds me very much of those.

The fragrance is very strong, last a long time and projects mercilessly, though not in a sinus clearing way. The rose it center stage, but it's not a fresh flowery rose, nor a syrupy, honeyed Montale Rose. It's got beeswax and is thickly rolled up in spices. I'd call it feminine, but many guys can get away with wearing it.

You should try it first before investing in a bottle - it's the sort of thing that will turn off many peopel and give some headaches.

I wish I could be more specific about notes, but I don't recognize anything that's going on in there besides rose and beeswax. It's most definitely a take on more traditional middle eastern perfumes vs an original sculpture type Lutens composition.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Hey Mike - yes recently someone was kind enough to send me a sample when I bought or swapped with them. I wish I was more capable of describing it - and I'm not familliart with Aramis - my friend from Pakistan has many local perfumes and attars, and Rose de Nuit reminds me very much of those.

The fragrance is very strong, last a long time and projects mercilessly, though not in a sinus clearing way. The rose it center stage, but it's not a fresh flowery rose, nor a syrupy, honeyed Montale Rose. It's got beeswax and is thickly rolled up in spices. I'd call it feminine, but many guys can get away with wearing it.

You should try it first before investing in a bottle - it's the sort of thing that will turn off many peopel and give some headaches.

I wish I could be more specific about notes, but I don't recognize anything that's going on in there besides rose and beeswax. It's most definitely a take on more traditional middle eastern perfumes vs an original sculpture type Lutens composition.
    Sounds like I need to find my sample and give it a full wearing soon - thanks for the update and descriptions Caesar!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ...if I remember correctly it was compared to Aramis...?
    I have worn Rose de Nuit a couple of times and found the leathery chypre qualities similar to the drydown of Aramis and other leathery chypres. The main difference being the rose note, which has sustain longer than I expected. Rose de Nuit has a classic feel about it that is almost nostalgic and comforting.

PS: Give it a test, Mike. I think I included a sample of Aramis for comparison.