Code of Conduct

Default Suggest a "Splurge" Scent

So, I recently left my partner of 6 years. I know, that sounds like sort of a pathetic way to start a post, but the important thing is this: I left a bunch of my old fragrances behind and pared my collection down to what is essential. I have representatives of most families, but I find that my favorites tend to be a bit "samey" - white florals, clean leathers that could be described as "suede," musk, fruit notes that aren't too over the top, and some richer orientals - and I'm looking for something new. It should ideally be something that I can wear in the spring/summer, it should be young rather than vintage-smelling, and I am looking for something really fun and nichey and high quality, since I don't buy perfumes much anymore and only really have room for perfect purchases.

If you are interested, here are the perfumes I loved enough to take with me:

* Daim Blond, Lutens
    * Fleur D'Oranger, Lutens
    * Kelly Caleche, Hermes
    * Tabac Blond, Caron
    * Narcisse Noir, Caron
    * Violette Precieuse, Caron
    * Parfum Sacre, Caron
    * Mitsouko EDP
    * Chanel No. 19
    * Black Cashmere, Donna Karan
    * Maitresse, Agent Provocateur
    * Bois de Paradis, Parfums Delrae
    * Safran Troublant, L'Artisan
    * Narcisco Rodriguez for Her, EDT

What do you think? In my opinion, these fall into two camps - the sort of clean-yet-sweet category (Daim Blond, Kelly Caleche, Maitresse, even the NR for Her) and the heavier oriental-vintage side (Parfum Sacre, Narcisse Noir, Mitsouko, Bois de Paradis). Any way I can break out of this? Based on these preferences, what do you recommend?

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Suggest a "Splurge" Scent

Here are a few great spring/summer scents that are unlike anything you've listed:

Penhaligon's Lily and Spice
    Frederic Malle Le Parfum de Therese and En Passant
    Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    Menard L'Eau de Ryokuei
    Parfumerie Generale Intrigant Patchouli
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Bahiana
    Creed Aubepine-Acacia
    Divine's L'Infante
    Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle
    Hermes Hiris

Look at the reviews in the Directory and see if any of these sound appealing!

This isn't a reccomendation, but more of a suggestion. Check out Love and Beyond Love by By Kilian! They're the perfect 'splurge' scent, and come presented in a black box thats Velvet inside with a lock and key. Absolutely Royal!

Quote Originally Posted by djuna View Post
    So, I recently left my partner of 6 years. I know, that sounds like sort of a pathetic way to start a post, but the important thing is this: I left a bunch of my old fragrances behind and pared my collection down to what is essential.
    You know, I wouldn't invest too much money in a scent that's going to define a painful time for you. You'll probably associate it with the stress of the change, but then again I could be completely wrong and you could be blissed out right now.
    Why not something that refreshes and heals, Eau Dynamiste by Clarins is one that comes to mind.
    OK, a splurge? Montale Roses Musk. A perfect "fresh" start fragrance.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th March 2008 at 11:12 PM.

Good point, Ruggles.

You've got some heavy hitters there, djuna.

Maybe Caleche Eau Delicate or 24 Faubourg Eau Delicate. Those wouldn't radically shift where you're at, but they could add some freshness with the depth that you enjoy.

My first inclination was to suggest Carnal Flower (applied sparingly because it's heady) or La Chasse aux Papillon (beautiful, fresh floral bouquet). Powerful feminine (Carnal) or fresh feminine (La Chasse), whichever you feel you need right now. Seems like green / chypre /woodsy might be too huge a change from your current preferences.

I think Ruggles suggestion of Eau Dynamisante by Clarins is just what the doctor ordered! It's not really a splurgey/niche scent ~ but he's right about healing...

Your collection is awesome! I have a few suggestions of my own, LIPSTICK ROSE (Malle) and maybe a gardenia or tuberose scent like KAI or PRIVATE COLLECTION TUBEROSE GARDENIA, and a second on Seattlelight's recommendations of CARNAL FLOWER or LA CHASSE AUX PAPILLON (original, not the extreme).

You will undoubtedly feel refreshingly feminine in any of these! Best wishes!

I would recommend 1872 for Women by Clive Christian. It is a beautiful, sumptuous, and sophisticated fragrance that will make you feel like a million $.

Teddius

I second the suggestion of Divine L'Infante and nominate Bond # 9 Chinatown.

I second Carnal Flower, La Chasse Aux Papillon, and Roses Musk. You may also want to consider these 'starting afresh' fragrances:

Creed Spring Flower (a fresh white boquet)
    Lutens Un lys (a beautiful LOTV)
    Dior Cologne Blanche (a comforting powder)
    Ellie D ( another fresh white boquet)
    Crystal Flowers by Montale (has similarities to the light roses of roses musk)
    Jasmine Full By Montale (gorgeous jasmine)

If you really want to splurge:

Guerlains 30 ml Chamade extrait and Cruel Gardenia
    Chanel no.22 or no. 28 La Pausa (lovely floral aldehyde and iris)
    Shalini in the Lalique bottle for a mere $900 ( a beautiful white floral with a dominant tuberose note)
    Last edited by orchid74; 16th March 2008 at 04:28 AM.

djuna, it's good to see you back here! I'm sorry to hear about your breakup, but it sounds like it's ultimately what you wanted and a positive thing overall. Leaving a relationship of six years is tough, I know, so here's to your courage.

One of my favourite spring/summer fragrances is IO Capri by Carthusia. I think it's quite different from anything you have in your current wardrobe. If you want, I can send you a sample.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Yes, that's a hard thing to do. Good for you for standing up and doing it, and I hope you're feeling liberated. I assume that's why you're interested in expanding your wardrobe, though I agree with Ruggles that this is a time that will be sharply etched on your memory. But perhaps you want to remember being a strong person?
    So is this time for Bandit? The edp is more floral than the sharp, green edt but both have that fabulous whipcrack about them. Not too much of a splurge, either.
    And you like Carons, so what about Coup de Fouet? Spicy, incensey, peppery, but not as rich as Poivre.
    To soothe you through any panic attacks about living on your own again after years together, perhaps Clarins Eau Resourcante - rosy and gentle. I find it helps me get off to sleep.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djuna View Post
    If you are interested, here are the perfumes I loved enough to take with me:

* Daim Blond, Lutens
    * Fleur D'Oranger, Lutens
    * Kelly Caleche, Hermes
    * Tabac Blond, Caron
    * Narcisse Noir, Caron
    * Violette Precieuse, Caron
    * Parfum Sacre, Caron
    * Mitsouko EDP
    * Chanel No. 19
    * Black Cashmere, Donna Karan
    * Maitresse, Agent Provocateur
    * Bois de Paradis, Parfums Delrae
    * Safran Troublant, L'Artisan
    * Narcisco Rodriguez for Her, EDT

What do you think? In my opinion, these fall into two camps - the sort of clean-yet-sweet category (Daim Blond, Kelly Caleche, Maitresse, even the NR for Her) and the heavier oriental-vintage side (Parfum Sacre, Narcisse Noir, Mitsouko, Bois de Paradis). Any way I can break out of this? Based on these preferences, what do you recommend?
    Love what you took with you (you have some of my favs) and glad to hear that the break-up doesn't have you down.

For a spring summer change of pace I reccommend

Notes:Brazilian orange, caipirinha limon, mandarin, tagette, green leaf, rosewood, gaiac wood, elemi, amber, musk, coconut

What better way to pick oneself up than the scents of Brazil, the joyous freedom of Carnival. I am not a citrus fan - but this scent automatically brightens my day and ushers in the aura of tropical breezes and sunlight dancing atop of the waves.

Even the perky feathers on the bottle make me smile
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I'd be thinking in terms of sharpness here. Creed Spring Flower, Estee Lauder White Linen, or even Arden's Green Tea. The Spring Flower would be a 'splurge' cost-wise, but the other two are not particularly heavy on cost. But they're sharp and fresh. I have this idea that 'freshness' is what's lacking in your wardrobe. Also, these fresh and sharp fragrances are beautifully seasonally placed for the start of spring. Spring Flower is absolutely LUSH with fruits, it's quite a zingy little minx.

I would caveat this post however, by saying that I agree with Ruggles about not associating a new scent with a tough time. If, on the other hand, you're over the moon about your new-found freedom, then have fun, go mad, and SPLURGE!
    Last edited by Clemmie; 16th March 2008 at 11:38 AM.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Djuna, my dear, it will only get better and you will only get stronger. I add a third voice in favor of Divine's Infante and also suggest AG's Songes. Both are beautiful and sing of new beginnings.

What comes to mind:

Chergui
    Tuberose Criminelle
    Carnal Flower
    Musc Ravageur
    Cruel Gardenia
    31 Rue Cambon

Good luck with the new beginning.

djuna, I wish you the best , therefore I would recommend either:

Chergui

or

Roma

I've been thinking about this - can I recommend two more?
    Eau des Merveilles is strange, fresh, salty and unlike anything you've got but without being too far a departure taht will shock you.
    And since you like the peach in Mitsouko, try Guerlian's Vol de Nuit EVASION. It reminds me somehow of Femininite du Bois, another modern oriental classic.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I came into some money of my own recently - and these are what I splurged on.
    Alot of your fragrances I also own - so one of the following may be up your alley!
    Love and light in your new adventures!!

Prada - Infusion d'Iris
    Kai - the oil ($90 AUD for 5ml!!!!!)
    Guerlain - Nahema
    Bond no. 9 - Nuits d' Noho

And what I still what to get when I open my wallet again!

Creed - Fluers de Bulgarie
    Creed - Angelique de Encens
    Creed - Fluers de Bulgare the Rose
    Worth - Courtesan
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” Tallulah Bankhead - Actress

1. Houbigant --Quelques Fleurs
    2. Creed -- Angelique Encens
    3. Chanel -- No. 5
    4. Penhaligon's -- Bluebells

...Or just go out and have a sniff-a-thon and find something that you like *smiles*
    Happy hunting
    Last edited by Jen81; 18th March 2008 at 07:24 AM.

Djuna nothing heels a broken heart like splurging on something ridiculously expensive. Shopping heals!!!

I broke up with my BF of ten years about 3 years ago. When we were together, I would shop like it was no tomorrow. He gave me money to go shopping all the time. Well, when we broke up it came to a complete stop. I found myself having to work even harder than I already was. I had to pay the whole rent and all the bills, not to mention tuition and books. Lucky for me I wasn't the type of female to depend on a man, but I ain't crazy. If he wants to spend his money, then why should I deprive him of that....*sniggle*. Anyhoo, It was damn hard at 1st. I was able to save up quite a bit of money. I had even opened a savings account, which I didn't have before. I can remember when my bank account would have like $3.27 in it a week before payday. I regrouped and reorganized and got myself in a good place.

Well, I decided to reward myself for making it through the 1st year without him. I was healing slowly but surely. I was proud of myself for hanging on. I could have packed up my stuff and moved back home, but I stuck it out, and I did a good job. Soooooooo, I went to Neimans to smell some perfume. I smelled the Clive Christian collection. I fell in love with X immediately. I went back home. I signed up for a couple of extra shifts and I went back and got my "X". When I look at my bottle now, I smile. I smile because I got it on my own and I wasn't broke afterwards. I smiled because I could say that I am on my own. When I wear it, I don't think of my broken heart. I think of my independence. I think of my will to survive without him and the help of my parents. I also went to Tiffany's and I also bought a pair of those True Religion jeans I wanted. It made me feel so good.

So, get whatever you want. Spare no expense. You can even get an extrait of your favorite perfume. Get something you wouldn't dare get ever. Honey, I thought I would never set foot in Gucci again, but I did!! I need to stay out of there as a matter of fact LOL!! Love yourself Honey!!! Your heart will heal and you will smell fabulous and look fabulous while you're doing it. Never let them see you down. Have fun!!
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Sorry to hear about your break-up. Time is a great healer.
    I would agrree with the choices of Divine L'Infante and
    Malle's Le Parfum de Therese. Those are the two I'd buy if
    I wanted to splurge.