Code of Conduct

Default I need a change from the old favourites.

Hi, I'm 47, empty-nesting now my son is nearly finished at Uni, deciding I need to spend a little time and money on myself and I feel the need to have a change from the perfumes I've been using over the last few years.
    I've been wearing Allure daytime, Tocade or Organza for evenings and Arpege anytime.
    I'm feeling the need for something 'fresher', anyone like to suggest what I should try out?

Sur la Plage

Default Re: I need a change from the old favourites.

I would recommend trying:

Asprey - Purple Water
    Dolce and Gabbana - Light Blue pour Femme
    Guerlain - Imperiale
    Hermes - Eau d'Orange Vert
    Thierry Mugler - Mugler Cologne
    Creed - Virgin Island Water
    Jo Malone - Lime, Basil & Mandarin
    L'Occitane - Verbena
    Marc Jacobs - Ivy
    Bulgari - Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge
    Guerlain - Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca
    Guerlain - Shalimar Light
    Last edited by petruccijc; 14th March 2008 at 06:47 AM.

dude I could be mistaken but I think thats a female asking

Off-Scenter

My wife recently went through a fragrance wardrobe overhaul herself. Some of the things she discovered were Hiris, Diorissimo, Fleurissimo, Angelique Encens, Le Parfum de Therese, En Passant, Fraicheur Muskissime, and Crystal Flowers. You can find reviews of all of these in the Basenotes Directory.

A few other random scents that might be fun to try are:

A La Nuit
    Fleurs d'Oranger
    Bahiana
    Eau de Camelia Chinois
    Chinatown
    Parfum Sacre
    Bellodgia
    Aubepine-Acacia
    Lily & Spice
    Philosykos
    L'Infante
    Iris Poudre
    Jicky
    Mure et Musc
    Ambre Precieux
    Habanita
    Vent Vert
    Citta di Kyoto
    Feminite du Bois

Have a look at the reviews and start trying things on!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 14th March 2008 at 03:19 AM.

Indulge yourself in a Frederic Malle:

En Passant or Angeliques Sous La Pluie for fresh / summer
    Carnal Flower for an exotic evening fragrance

Available at Barneys NY/Boston/LA/SF or from France on the web.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I think something you might like for summer and that would be so sexy on a woman of your age (and not also) is Hermès Eau des Merveilles.

Thanks for the suggestions, will give me a list of things to try. I am distinctly tempted by the concept of trying a Frederic Malle.
    Yes, smellyliquid I am female.

Eclat d' Arpege (the light purple liquid). It doesn't get much mention, but it smells fresh and young and classic, to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Netleigh View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, will give me a list of things to try. I am distinctly tempted by the concept of trying a Frederic Malle.
    Yes, smellyliquid I am female.
    If nothing else, you can fill out the survey on FM's website and either Frederic or one of his assistant's will make some personal recommendations for you out of their lineup.

http://www.editionsdeparfums.com/mal...stionnaire.php
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    If nothing else, you can fill out the survey on FM's website and either Frederic or one of his assistant's will make some personal recommendations for you out of their lineup.

http://www.editionsdeparfums.com/mal...stionnaire.php
    Thanks, I have already done that and they have suggested two that I'd shortlisted, Iris Poudre and L'eau d'Hiver
    and I've got some samples of them now.I think I love both of them. I still need to do a lot of perfume shop visits. It's that feeling that I just need an update of perfume, a 'fragrance wardrobe overhaul' as Vibert called it is exactly the concept.
    Last edited by Netleigh; 18th March 2008 at 09:44 PM.

Hi Netleigh, the same feeling of needing a change overcame me a couple of years back. I'm your age, and had grown up with Shalimar, Ysatis, Chloé, Nahema and Femme. Beautiful scents each one, but suddenly they seemed off somehow, perhaps due to hormonal changes. They also did not quite seem to match my moods anymore, so I went on a quest to find something fresher.

Unfortunately, most of the new launches smelled the same to my nose and the scents turned sort of 'fuzzy metallic' on my skin. Luckily I did some googling and found Basenotes, and through BN, a parallel universe based on scent. Turns out I wasn't looking for just something fresh, but a whole array to express my current life. I'm egging you on to go for versatility; I found the Frederic Malle line totally suitable for me, most of the Serge Lutens, too, though most of them are in no way fresh. And totally new to me were all the Carons, even though a formidable house, cannot be bought in Finland.

Some of my favorites now include the Different Company's Osmanthus, Balmain's Vent Vert, Caron's Nocturnes and - surprise - the English Ormonde Jayne's Ormonde Woman.

I will keep my thumbs up for you to find your own new wardrobe!

Try Rose Poivree & Silver Mountain Water.

This all sounds so familliar!
    Just as Nalle3 says, that vague 'hmm, I'd like to spread my wings a bit' feeling can soon lead you into this parallel universe.
    If you like the Iris Poudre and the L'Eau d'Hiver (my two Malles too!), then I found L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain is in a similarish vein the the L'Eau (very ish, but if it's the heliotrope you love, that's in L'Heure in spades) and I'm now looking for Ferre by Gianfranco Ferre because it's been compared to Iris Poudre on here.

I'll second the suggestion of Hermes Eau des Merveilles. It's fresh and innovative. A lot of Hermes perfumes are very sheer and clean because their in-house nose is the creator of L'Eau d'Hiver, Jean-Claude Ellena and that's his style. His Un Jardin de Mediterranee is (IMHO) the most fantastic summer fragrance based loosely on figs, while his Un Jardin sur le Nil is fruitier, based around mangoes. Kelly Caleche is his take on leather. I like it.

By the way, to follow that line of thought, Iris Poudre was created by a perfumer called Pierre Bourdon, who also created Dolce Vita for Dior and Femininite du Bois for Shisedo. Both good 'fumes and worth a try.

Plus, can I put in a plug for a dear favourite of mine that is very fresh and bracing but not at all new - in fact it's one of the oldest perfumes on the mass market these days - Jicky from Guerlain, created at the end of the 19th century. It's all citrus and lavender coolness, warmed up by a healthy dollop of civet underneath. Smells wonderfully fresh and new, even though the calendar says it's vintage. (Rather like us women in our 40s.) Try the eau de toilette - the civet isn't quite so prominent and it's a bit fresher.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 22nd March 2008 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spellink
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729