Code of Conduct

Default M7 vs. ENVY vs. GUCCI PH 1

Hello all,

Newish here, and have acquired the above three all within the last 4 months. I love them all, and they have become my winter/cold weather rotation here in St. Louis. M7 is the latest addition, and I am fascinated! I am smitten by all three, however, and wish to know your favorite. I personally place them in the same general category ( woody / winter / oriental) and I hope you agree that the comparison makes sense.

So which do you like the best???

Default Re: M7 vs. ENVY vs. GUCCI PH 1

I'd rank them

Envy > M7 > Gucci PH

with Envy far above the other two. If I had to score them from 1-100, I'd give Envy an 80, M7 a 60, and GPH a 50.

It's not that I think M7 are badly constructed scents or of inferior quality, I just think the first hour of M7 is a bit too bumpy a ride and GPH is far too reminsicent of pencil shavings.

I'm glad you enjoy them all though. They are, without question, quality scents and some of the better designer offerings.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Thank you for the excellent response, Sculpture. I have some time to kill right now, and have M7 on left wrist, Envy on right. Interesting how differences you didn't know existed become apparent when experienced together. Wish I had a third arm. I agree that M7 has a bit of a bumpy beginning!

More responses please.........

Id agree with sculpture. M7 was just too... weird for me, not to mention it gave me a headache. And Gucci pH smelt on my skin like tree bark mixed with 'unwashed mens private bits,' which I would definitely not enjoy smelling like!

Envy on the other hand is strong, manly and inoffensive. Just be careful not to apply too much like I accidentally did with a sample, because you'll probably end up tasting the stuff.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I like Gucci PH more than other two. And the second place goes to M7.

Well, for me all three are great. It's just that m7 was such a different universe for me when it came out, that I always put it on top. Envy was quite popular and often worn by people around me some time ago, and is quite recognizable. Does not make it worse. Anyhow, for me it's M7, PH and Envy

Haven't smelled the Gucci but definitely prefer Envy over M7

get all 3 cause they are different enough.

i would choose at first gucci ph than m7 or envy.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

All three are high-grade oriental scents and everything else is just a matter of someone's taste. My Top3 would be: 1.M7 2.Envy for Men 3.Gucci pour Homme.
    M7 is a school example for a "love it or hate it" scent. The people from my environment definitely are not indifferent to this frag and I like that. 80% of their comments are positive. However, my father said me once (I was wearing M7):"You smell as some oil for a sewing machine"... what ever that means... it didn't sound as a compliment...
    Last edited by peevish_yolk; 18th March 2008 at 04:16 AM.
    As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others. Peter Handke

Gucci Ph or M7 for a date. Gucci is more interesting for women than M7.

Envy to make love, with a women...

Sur la Plage

I have and enjoy all 3 of them. I would rank them:

M7 (one of my all time favorites)
    Envy
    Gucci PH

Basenotes Institution

Gucci Pour Homme is my favorite.

I don't wear Envy (it's my bosses scent - so I smell it on him every day...can't imagine wearing it myself) and I didn't like M7.

Oddly, I get the most compliments when I wore M7 and never ever got a compliment when I wore GPH. Murphy's Law is a bi*ch.

I don't have all three but I have tried to get on with Gucci PH and don't seem to manage to well, it's as poisonous to me as A*Men (yuk). I have the other two however. M7 comes second, and I agree with the others the opening is frankly bizarre. It helps in my experience not to apply more than a brief squirt on each side of the face. A little bit of this goes a long way and actually smells far nicer than over-applying. Too much and it is not nice, just the right amount and it is truly a wonderful scent, with, on my skin a caramel-smooth smell to it on the dry-down.

Envy on the other hand just smells fantastic right from top notes to the end. It lasts well, you can put as much (or as little) as you like and it won't let you down. Of these three, Envy wins.

Envy is my Number 1 of these three. This being said, I prefer the "older" paler green juice. Something is amiss with the newer one.

I never warmed to M7, and Gucci PH albeit a great scent, is not something I want to smell of.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 17th March 2008 at 09:42 PM.

M7 > PH > Envy

I own the first two, and it is a neck and neck race between the two. I think they're both great. Envy is good too, but I haven't quite got to buying it, it's just not quite good enough to make the threshold when I own the other two.

M7 is the most unique of the 3, and once it's dried for a couple of hours, it's not as medicinal or offputting as it starts - it's actually really sexy.

PH is just the epitome of a great woody scent (behind BDP of course!).

All 3 are for winter and not appropriate for the upcoming season

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

smeller

M7 and Envy: both outstanding, difficult choice, but M7 is a bit more original and has a lot of edge.

Gucci PH, to me, is an attempt of a friendly Aramis, no more than that. And I happen to love Aramis. Coincidentally, I'm wearing it today, very lightly applied.

To me, Gucci Rush has much more to say than Gucci PH.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    M7 > PH > Envy

I own the first two, and it is a neck and neck race between the two. I think they're both great. Envy is good too, but I haven't quite got to buying it, it's just not quite good enough to make the threshold when I own the other two.

M7 is the most unique of the 3, and once it's dried for a couple of hours, it's not as medicinal or offputting as it starts - it's actually really sexy.

PH is just the epitome of a great woody scent (behind BDP of course!).

All 3 are for winter and not appropriate for the upcoming season

Ged
    And Bois De Portugal behind Guerlain Heritage ?

Did read that in some heritage reviews.

I would also add Rochas Man to the gucci ph similar list.
    Last edited by sanatik; 18th March 2008 at 12:05 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

M7 > Envy > GPH1

Ironically, I own the last two, but not M7. Guess I'll have to fix that asap!

Gucci PH as #1
    Gucci Envy as #2
    M7 as #3

Gucci smells best in the sillage (meaning if you press your nose and sniff at the point of application it won't smell as good as just letitng the sillage work its magic).

I also think Gucci PH in the winter and Terre d'Hermes in the summer might be a nice duo.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

These are beyond a doubt the three fragrances I've worn most since finding Basenotes and plunging head first into this hobby/passion/obsession... As each is a must-have in my collection, I find it difficult to rank them. Instead, I'll offer a few impressions:

M7: A strange beginning indeed. Depending on my mood, I can love or just about tolerate the initial weird blast. Sometimes it's cherry cough syrup, sometimes burnt plastic. But the drydown, with its smooth vetiver and alluring oud, is gorgeous and lasts extremely long, especially on clothing. Phenomenal.

Envy: I didn't like this one upon first sniff. It struck me as too sweet and too synthetic. Oddly, though, the recollection of the scent stayed with me for months and became increasingly more enticing. Not the scent itself, mind you, but the memory of the scent. And then, boom, I had to have it. Ever since it's been a faithful staple in my collection - for all situations and all temperatures. Sweet, spicy and woody, with a sensual tease of incense in the drydown. Longevity could be better, though.

Gucci pour Homme: This was a landmark fragrance for me that I wore almost exclusively for about six months. What made it so interesting a couple of years ago, especially as a fragrance greenhorn, is that it is so very unlike most of the scents you notice on people. So *not* fresh, clean, citrussy, aquatic, fruity etc. The white pepper at the beginning is striking, followed by dry woods, incense and vetiver. Very masculine and bold. I don't wear it very much these days - probably because I overdosed on it initally - but it's one I am sure to revisit and enjoy.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Duc de Vervins, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme, Bentley Intense; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

1. M7
    2. ENVY
    3. Gucci PH

Anyway I love them all!

Along with CdG Avignon, I'd only wear Gucci PH 1 to church. Gucci PH 2 is actually awesome and needs more attention.

M7 was too bumpy for me at first, so I sold the bottle I had (two years ago). Now, I've obtained a big fat decant of it, and it doesn't seem quite as loud and medicinal as I remember. Hmm..

Envy is pretty good. Owned it and sold it, but still respect it. Reminds me of money. Give it a run next to Michael Kors for something similar.

So as for my vote.... I don't know. M7?
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by MiloTheTerrier View Post
    Hello all,

Newish here, and have acquired the above three all within the last 4 months. I love them all, and they have become my winter/cold weather rotation here in St. Louis. M7 is the latest addition, and I am fascinated! I am smitten by all three, however, and wish to know your favorite. I personally place them in the same general category ( woody / winter / oriental) and I hope you agree that the comparison makes sense.

So which do you like the best???
    So, what have you concluded from all the responses so far?

You have sparked a lot of conversation (and strong opinions for all three) but it doesn't seem like there is any clearcut favorite.

For me, its GpH, M7 and Envy for 1st, 2nd & 3rd.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    So, what have you concluded from all the responses so far?

You have sparked a lot of conversation (and strong opinions for all three) but it doesn't seem like there is any clearcut favorite.

For me, its GpH, M7 and Envy for 1st, 2nd & 3rd.
    Well, my first conclusion is that this is a great forum with lots of insightful people. I find myself reading the comments/descriptions, and having lots of "you're right!" moments, if you know what I mean. I'm identifying notes that I had not put my finger on.

In a way, I'm pleased that there is not a clear cut favorite, as I like them all quite well.

That being said, I'm struggling a bit w/ M7's opening (and it's a long one), and would have to put it last right now. I love Gucci PH, but I'm a bit self conscious when I wear it out. I find Envy to be more wearable and equally alluring. So I guess it's Envy > PH > M7

Thanks again for all the responses, and more are welcome!

M7 is tricky, it will take some time warming up to it. But once you do, I think it is the best of the lot. I have always liked Envy, and I think that is is the most wearable of the 3. I never got into Gucci Pour Homme, it was just too/ALL woody for me, but if I try it again today, who knows, I'm sure I can find something I like about it and make it work for me.

I think my ranking will go:

M7>Envy>GPH

It helped me with M7 by trying out the supporting products before graduating to the EdT. I had the Aftershave Balm, the Deodorant, then got the Shower Gel and EdT. The supporting products don't have the same off putting opening, but a similar (but not exactly the same) drydown.

GPH

Envy

M7

gucci envy no.1
    gucci pour homme no.2
    m7 no.3

1. YSL m7
    2. Gucci ph
    3. Gucci envy

Envy is tops for me. Spicy, sweet, musky.
    M7 and GPH are more difficult wears for me. M7 is something I reach for occasionally, just to mix things up. I admire GPH more than I wear it. I'm glad I have all three in my wardrobe.

M7
    Envy
    GPH

(2090)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

GPH
    Envy
    M7

My favorites are M7 and Envy, both ranked similarly and quite high by me.

Love all 3 ! I have an interesting story for Envy. Back in July 2009 I had initially bought Lalique White but found it too weak , I went back to Harry Hines and the nice store owner allowed me to switch it out. I randomly just picked Gucci because I was just getting into fragrances as a hobby then. The fragrance was discontinued that year itself and now has iconic status. I am happy I picked Gucci Envy. Its a very upbeat and exciting scent.

Envy > The other 2 scents in this thread that has been reincarnated from 2008...

It's one of the first scents that blew me away.

Got a 1.7 oz for under $30 at TJ MAXX way back and knew it was something that I'd never grow tired of.

To me there is no better scent for the cold weather.

Your right Adam, its beauty truly does come out in Cold weather. Its one of the few fragrances that gives me a very excited and optimistic feeling.

1. Envy
    2. M7
    3. Gucci Pour Homme

1. Gucci Pour Homme.
    2. M7.
    3. Envy.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Your right Adam, its beauty truly does come out in Cold weather. Its one of the few fragrances that gives me a very excited and optimistic feeling.
    Absolutely!

It's is so warm and inviting... why it was taken out of production is beyond me.

M7
    GPH1
    Envy

1. M7
    2. GPH1
    3. Envy (fairly new to my collection and doesn't have that projection that the other 2 have and I can't smell it after 30 minutes while others do when they are close enough and love it more than the other 2).

Envy > M7 > Gucci PH

I agree with this ranking

Interesting, this sent me running back to my M7 -- some months back I tried a small sample and really liked it, but it was different enough that I bought a 3ml decant to give it a few more tries before investing more, just had a feeling that in a different mood I might not like it so much. Now, some months later, this thread and its claims of an unpleasant opening to me to try M7 again. I basically disliked it for like the first 3 hours. Finally dried down into something wonderful after that. Note to self: put this stuff on hours before I go out!