Code of Conduct

Default Air travel scent - What should one wear?

I am heading off to India for a long vacation. I'd be on a plane for about 17 hours (incl. connecting flight).

What would be a good fragrance to wear?

Something thats not too loud yet doesn't go unnoticed.

Something thats not a love/hate scent.

I am kind of tilting towards

'Terre D'hermes'
    Mugler Cologne
    Wall Street
    Bond Eau de New York
    GIT
    Acqua di Parma colonia Assoluta

I am even contemplating the rose fragrances incl.
    'Rose 31'
    'TDC Rose Poivree'.

Longevity is not such an issue because in any case I am going to carry a little decant of whatever I chose to wear.

My wardrobe is quite uptodate. Choice is not limited to what has been mentioned above.

Pls. suggest.

thanks

gupts

Default Re: Air travel scent - What should one wear?

Mugler Cologne
    Eau Parfumée Verte Extrême

Mugler Cologne.

Mugler, or none.

I'd go with Rose 31, nothing says India like the cumin! I'd go with wall street though, when I last went to India (8 months ago) I was wearing Cool Water (tsk tsk, I know) and before we landed at Dehli airport, the stench of India (which is bad, but I still like it, I suppose it's because i'm part Indian, has a homey feeling to it!) got into the plane and made it smell bad. I put my wrist to my nose, and it was all okay.

Sur la Plage

I'd go with Mugler Cologne or AdP Colonia Assoluta - something light and not over powering.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 18th March 2008 at 01:25 PM.

I'd go with the Acqua di Parma colonia Assoluta or the TDC Rose Poivree
    Then you can wear Acier Aluminum when you return

Have a good flight my friend
    Last edited by silverbullet; 17th March 2008 at 09:27 PM.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I'd go with Mugler Cologne or AdP Colonia Assoluta.
    I agree, either of these or absolutely nothing at all.

I would go with the Acqua di Parma. It isn't too obtrusive so it won't annoy other passengers. I would hate to be sat next to somebody for 17 hours if they were wearing a strong fragrance.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Mugler is great for flights. However, I would consider some softer Creed (Tabarome Millesime is very pleasent!). Sorry, I can't see your wardrobe right now - but I think I remember you having some Creed.

In the past the only thing I took flying was the Original Paco Rabanne. It's such a pleasant smell, yet carries some distinction to it! Lately (I fly a lot!) I wear either Noir Epices or French Lover while on the plane - they are both a little more modern.

Rose 31would be nice too... but go very lightly with it or the roses might be overpowering.
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Another vote for Mugler Cologne, because it's so inoffensive. I love Rose 31 but I'm not sure I'd appreciate sitting next to it for 17 hours if I didn't care for cumin. But then, if I didn't like cumin, why would I be going to India?!
    In any case, I'd definitely apply lightly and freshen as needed in the restroom (not that anyone could rest in an aircraft head!). Long flights can get pretty fragrant - in a bad way - and even a good fragrance sometimes just adds to the sensory confusion, IMO.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Creed Erolfa since it is an "ozonic" scent and you are in the ozone layer.

Blog Entries

I'll have to go with nothing at all. Sorry.

Mixing cologne with a plane full of other people who may be wearing scent and/or sweating and the recycled air is not good. Your scent gets lost in all of that and/or it mixes in with all of that.

I seriously believe there are times when no scent is necessary. Enclosed transportation (no windows and no way off) with a bunch of strangers is one of those times.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

I agree - go with none. People are stuffed so close, there will be meals with different smells, it might well turn up even your stomach your own scent.

I could handle a bit of Mugler Cologne without feeling obscene, but not much of it and certainly nothing else, except maybe a shot of Gendarme.

Or you could go with 20 sprays of Black Aoud, Xeryus Rouge, and/or Dunhill Desire. Personally, on a 17-hour flight, I'd f*cking punch you.
    Last edited by Scentronic; 18th March 2008 at 05:39 AM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Gendarme/gendarme 20

Mugler

or Creed OV.

or any good aqua scent.....those are light regardless.

Post some other choices available.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

If you can get your hands on them, Bvlgari produce a range of scented Oshibori's. Also Herme´s make EDoV scented wipes which are perfect for refreshing hands, face and the back of the neck.
    These are PERFECT during long-haul flights!

I wouldn't wear anything at all, and instead upgrade my playlist on my iPod for that 17 hour flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Or you could go with 20 sprays of Black Aoud, Xeryus Rouge, and/or Dunhill Desire.
    On the upside, you might get the entire row to yourself!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quite frankly, any scent will do. If it's a strong one, just apply less.

I've accumulated a bunch of 15, 20 and 30ml bottles over the years (usually as extras in a gift set). I chose four or five of those to take with me in my little plastic zip bag onto the plane.

Last time I took Nautica original, Z-14, Gucci Rush, Diesel ++ and Chrome. Why stick with one?

And also, there's always a cheapie scent on sale on every flight - you can buy and use that one as well.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I wouldn't wear anything at all, and instead upgrade my playlist on my iPod for that 17 hour flight.
    I agree. How would you feel if you had to sit next to some guy who went overboard with Halston Z-14? If anything, I wear a lightly scented deodorant when I fly.
    You are not your perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    I would go with the Acqua di Parma. It isn't too obtrusive so it won't annoy other passengers. I would hate to be sat next to somebody for 17 hours if they were wearing a strong fragrance.
    My thoughts exactly. Definitely keep it light when flying, certain people can be very sensitive to that.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

couple of spritz - Eau de Paco

I usually use flying to try out something in the Duty Free. But if you're sat by strangers I would be wary of applying too much of anything.

On the other hand, if you're a nervous flier then something with lavender in should be good for nerves, or ginger for air sickness.

Gendarme

Have fun gupts.
    Last edited by pluran; 18th March 2008 at 12:42 PM.

I am traveling to Washington DC today... I will be wearing Tabarome Millesime - it's a calming scent, and since the flight isn't that long, no need to worry about reapplying!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Mugler cologne out of what you listed. And I would go with the previously suggested: use anything you like, just the stronger the scent is the less you should use.

Also, you can apply some at the airport when you switch planes, so anything easily available like Mugler or Bvlgari you can re-use without carrying a bottle or decant in your pockets.

I'd def do the Mugler Cologne, it's so light and crisp and upbeat that it's hard to imagine it offending anyone.

edit: ahhh, a bit late, have a great trip Gupts!
    Last edited by thaifighter; 18th March 2008 at 07:16 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Azzaro makes one called Jetlag, which is specifically made for air travel. I think I even remember that they only sell it at duty-free shops in airports to make sure it is used only for its intended purpose!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 18th March 2008 at 10:41 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Mure et Musk cologne, L'Artisan

aah... read this post late.. anyway, you have a safe flight my friend.. and i'm more than sure you're going to enjoy your vacation to the fullest.. if you plan on visiting Mumbai as part of your travel plans during this vacation, drop me a PM and we could probably meet up or just offer tips/assistance if you need any.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I would put on only a hint of Montana Parfum d'Homme. And I mean just a hint on my chest under my clothes near my neck. It would not sillage very much and just be somewhat present in your own personal space rather than agressively reaching out to the seat next to you, but still very slightly noticeable to others as a subtle background scent somewhere in your area.
    Last edited by kbe; 19th March 2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Put enough A*Men on and you'll be able to hijack the plane.

For the love of God, wear an edp! It's a long way to India and there will undoubtedly be many odiferous moments on your way there!

Quote Originally Posted by heythatslife View Post
    Put enough A*Men on and you'll be able to hijack the plane.
    People will still try to get off

hahaha awesome thread

Thierry Mugler Cologne - i've worn this lovely number countless times whilst flying

Going to India???

Not being funny, but there will be no absence of fragrances on that flight.

Don't wear anything with cumin, cinnamon or cardamom because you will just be part of the wallpaper of scents.

Go for something light and clean like GFT by Trumpers, it's so fresh even the fresh wipes they give you after the meal will seem positively dull and dark by comparison.

Un Jardin Sur Le Nil would be great as well.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I used to worry about wearing fragrance on planes, until social mores changed and it somehow became acceptable to carry on big, smelly food, like a plate of nachos with chili and onions (I've actually seen this several times in the last year). When that started happening, I realized it's time for fragrance warfare. I always wear something discreet and fairly polite - a small spray of YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme, or maybe Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree - but I've also starting carrying on atomizers for emergency scent combat. Passengers with terrible B.O., Chinese food, deli sandwiches with big onions - I have no qualms about whipping out a nice fragrance for a refresher spray when someone around me starts in with this sh*t.

Yes, I realize two wrongs don't make a right. But three do. Have two sprays and settle back into the nice book you brought with you. A glass of wine might help, too.

I was going to say none as that is what I practice on flights, but I do have to agree with the post above. I can't tell you how many flights I have been on lately with a family of four slamming down Big Macs right after takeoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I used to worry about wearing fragrance on planes, until social mores changed and it somehow became acceptable to carry on big, smelly food... when that started happening, I realized it's time for fragrance warfare.

Yes, I realize two wrongs don't make a right...
    You can say the words, "two wrongs don't make a right," but saying the words is worthless. Satan can quote scripture all day long.

Social mores have not changed, I don't think; certainly good etiquette hasn't. What has changed is the general level of manners and politeness in our society. But I prefer to be part of the solution and not the problem. I prefer to try to raise the standard rather than drag it down.

If you will look around on in the fragrance directory here on bn, you will doubtlessly find a scent with something like 200 reviews, 199 of which condemn the perfume in question as one of the most vile scents ever confected... and the other one praising it and lauding it as the poster's all-time-favorite, his "signature scent." And as for reports by the other 199 of city-block long projection, this poster patently denies it and insists that it takes fifteen or twenty sprays for him to even smell it. Guess which of those 200 you will sit next to on your next full-cabin transoceanic flight? You'll spen the entire flight looking longingly at the compartment above your head and scheming about how to cause a sudden drop in cabin pressure.

I know, I know... you only wear wonderful scents and anyone would be a fool not to want to sit next to. But there are very few fragrances in the directory which have hundreds of reviews without at least one or two that are strongly negative. Don't force the one guy in the world who doesn't like your scent to endure it in a situation which is uncomfortable enough already.

The polite answer to what fragrance to wear for air travel is to, at most, wear a tiny dose of something very simple, very common, and very discreet.

Travel like a king - go with Nicolai's Maharadjah. Or better yet, Capucci's Punjab! ;-) j/k

Seriously though, I would recommend a resinous and calming fragrance - possibily Guerlain's Bois D'Armenie or Scents of Time's Ankh.

Have fun in India. If you happen to transit via Dubai, then defn try out their Arabian Perfume section in the Duty Free.

Hasn't Bleu De Chanel been created just for this scenario?

IIRC the designer (name escapes me) said something about the travelling executive emerging from the Gents mid flight (or something similar).