Code of Conduct

Default Thinking About Angelique Encens

For those of you who have smelled this fragrance, what do you think about it?

Default Re: Thinking About Angelique Encens

Well for a start the name suggests something really deep and intense. Actually AE is suprising light, yes there is some incense in there but nothing like the modern incense fragrances. It is a beautiful elegant fragrance.
    DONNA

I don't love many Creeds, but this is my all time favorite, certainly on colder days.
    And here we go again with bodychemistry : on me it is a really warm, intense and very long lasting fragrance. One spray in the morning is enough to last the entire day.

I agree with Donna: beautiful and elegant.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Sounds like it just might be a good one. If I can, I'm definitely going to try see if I can't find a sample of it for a decent price. How strong is the vanilla content?

AE is one of the Creed's masterpiece. It has an ethereal and comforting quality rendered by the hypnotic angelica and buttery incense. I find it beautiful and meditative especially in cool weather. I enjoy it so much that I rarely use it out of the house - I feel attached to it and enjoy wearing it to bed.

The incense is not strong and I do not find the vanilla to overwhelming. Be aware though that different batches of millesimes have slight differences - Creed uses pure botanicals that can be affected by the quality of harvest. Saying that, if you get a sample of AE you will get a good idea of what it should smell like.

For reference if you like Caron Parfum Sacre you are bound to like AE. And yes I love both!
    Last edited by orchid74; 24th March 2008 at 01:37 PM.

vanilla is a bit too strong in this one but all the other qualities are beautiful

Smells dirty and spicy on my skin, but great on paper, which leads me to believe that it might be my skin chemistry...
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

I find it works a lot better in cold weather. Heat makes it somehow disintegrate on my skin. I adore it in winter.
    I get quite a bit of vanilla and find it rather sweet. Here's my full review:
    http://thenonblonde.blogspot.com/200...ue-encens.html

Basenotes Institution

AE was one of the first angelica prominent fragrances I tested, after encountering Angeliques sous la Pluie by Frederic Malle. Somehow I think I expected it to blossom and become much more 'incense'-y on my skin, because it turned into a quick vanilla drydown on me and bored me to tears. Mind you, this is Miami so perhaps the climate (or my skin) had something to do with it. Not sure.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I find it to be a delicious concoction. It is incensey, and fresh with the Angelica, vanille adds warmth but not too much. It reminds me ever so slightly of Must de Cartier, but not as powerful as Must, just a sort of reflection of Must. A little goes quite a long way, at least on me.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    AE was one of the first angelica prominent fragrances I tested, after encountering Angeliques sous la Pluie by Frederic Malle. Somehow I think I expected it to blossom and become much more 'incense'-y on my skin, because it turned into a quick vanilla drydown on me and bored me to tears. Mind you, this is Miami so perhaps the climate (or my skin) had something to do with it. Not sure.
    I have had the same experience. The fragrance is quite temperamental - in one of its guises it opens with beautifully rendered and perfectly balanced angelique and incense notes before crash-landing into rich powdery vanilla...this is the form which most women like, methinks. Its quite lady/dame like.

In cold weather (or is it the other way around), the incense, angelique and vanilla notes meld in perfect harmony creating one of the finest incense-vanilla accords since the great Shalimar. The incense lasts way into the drydown, preventing the vanilla from dominating. In this form the fragrance is close to 5/5 in my book.
    -

Thank you guys
    This definitely sounds like a perfume I can get into. Once I get some extra money, I think I might end up picking this up - it sounds too gorgeous to pass up!

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    In cold weather (or is it the other way around), the incense, angelique and vanilla notes meld in perfect harmony creating one of the finest incense-vanilla accords since the great Shalimar. The incense lasts way into the drydown, preventing the vanilla from dominating. In this form the fragrance is close to 5/5 in my book.
    That sounds about right to me...
    Being from New England where it gets quite cold post September which is when I wear AE most, I can attest to that beautiful incense-vanilla accord you speak of. It is among the most unique fragrances I've ever smelled.