Code of Conduct

Thumbs up I love Tom Ford for Men - which frags are similar?

I just received a sample of Tom Ford for Men from a friend, and I love it. It's such a perfect middle-of-the-road scent to me, that it actually stands out from the crowd. It's not too fresh, nor too spicy (like Opium), nor too medicinal (like M7) and the sillage and longetivity is just perfect.

I like.

Now I wish to explore fragrances that are similar to Tom Ford for Men, but I
    'm not sure where to start. Someone mentioned Escada PH Light - any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 18th March 2008 at 12:31 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: I love Tom Ford for Men - which frags are similar?

This scent has been discussed and compared to many scents in this old thread here:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=198441

I'm selling my bottle of Tom Ford if you're interested haha
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Thrax

Tom Ford Extreme. Similar but has much more depth. Very nice stuff.

Thanks a lot for pointing out that old thread Mike. I missed it in spite of having used the search function.

Vera Wang for Men

I'm torn.

I've got a bottle of Tom Ford for Men *and* a bottle of L'instant de Guerlain. They are both so similar in the basenotes.

Tom Ford for Men starts of citrussy, spicey and I smell a very light calone note in it, as if an aquatic was looking for directions and ended up in Tom Ford for Men.

L'instant just starts out weird, bitter from the cacao beans and with an anise note. It does dry down however, to a very palatable gourmand note. Not too sweet, not too spicey or too much vanilla, not offensive but with a presence. I like it.

Tom Ford also dries down to a very similar basenote as L'instant, but a bit lighter, less character version. The top- and middle notes however are much better and far less weird than L'instant.

In short:

- L'instant: weird top- and middlenotes, wonderful basenotes
    - Tom Ford: nice top- and middlenotes, basenotes with less character than L'instant

I feel, and also my wallet feels, that both frags dry down to a much too similar basenote to justify their presence together in my wardrobe. I need to axe one. I need help from you experienced guys.

Check out Gucci pour Homme. An incense opening leading into a clearer TFFM-like base.

I've also ready that Juicy Couture Dirty English is similar, and LT writes that Baldessarini is as well. Haven't smelled either myself.
    Last edited by Carlos; 16th April 2008 at 10:26 PM.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

I'll resample Gucci PH but last time all I got were pencil shavings.... appreciate your opinion though!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    I'll resample Gucci PH but last time all I got were pencil shavings.... appreciate your opinion though!
    That's just the opening, ya gotta ride that wave all the way in...
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

I'm torn.

I've got a bottle of Tom Ford for Men *and* a bottle of L'instant de Guerlain. They are both so similar in the basenotes.

Tom Ford for Men starts of citrussy, spicey and I smell a very light calone note in it, as if an aquatic was looking for directions and ended up in Tom Ford for Men.

L'instant just starts out weird, bitter from the cacao beans and with an anise note. It does dry down however, to a very palatable gourmand note. Not too sweet, not too spicey or too much vanilla, not offensive but with a presence. I like it.

Tom Ford also dries down to a very similar basenote as L'instant, but a bit lighter, less character version. The top- and middle notes however are much better and far less weird than L'instant.

In short:

- L'instant: weird top- and middlenotes, wonderful basenotes
    - Tom Ford: nice top- and middlenotes, basenotes with less character than L'instant

I feel, and also my wallet feels, that both frags dry down to a much too similar basenote to justify their presence together in my wardrobe. I need to axe one. I need help from you experienced guys.
    I've tried both.

The Tom Ford did nothing for me and I felt it was really very ordinary - apparently the Extreme version is worth trying.

L'Instant de Guerlain I tried in an airport prior to a long flight. I put it on the back of my left hand and for the rest of my flight it drove me crazy because it smelled so good that I wished I'd bought a bottle.

L'Instant I got home I ordered a bottle of L'Instant.

I tried it today. It actually isn't bad. It reminds me of Japan Noir or Bois Rouge from his Private Blend line. I wouldn't buy it or wear it, but a lot better than what I was expecting, hearing the reviews.

TFFM is very similar to Baldessarini. Also, there are some similarites with D&G The One.

Yeah, I think it's just that: it's not bad. But Tom Ford has a reputation to fill up, so the frag might have let a whole lotta people underwhelmed.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I think it's just that: it's not bad. But Tom Ford has a reputation to fill up, so the frag might have let a whole lotta people underwhelmed.
    That's the way it was for me - TFFM almost pushed my "buy" button, but not quite. L'Instant just knocked me over. Immediate buy. Tom Ford Extreme also got bought, plus a backup bottle (thanks, Mike!). My opinion is basically the same as HDS1963.

I think that TFFM is perhaps a scent that Tom Ford compromised for the mass market, and that afterwards he slightly regretted the compromises. Tom Ford Extreme seems like a correction of that.

Is Tom Ford Extreme in any way similar to L'Instant PH Extreme, BTW?

I would recommend the body emulsion of Tom Ford For Men to the owners of the juice as well. The emulsion might have more longevity than the fragrance itself. It's brilliant!

Blog Entries

escada pour homme

it's cheaper, better, stronger, more unique, more boozy, and more beautiful than tom ford, in my opinion. i consider tom ford for men to be sort of a modern imitation of this....even the bottle is a copy of it.

they don't smell the 'same'....but overall, they have the same sort of stuff going on.

Basenotes Institution

Is Tom Ford Extreme in any way similar to L'Instant PH Extreme, BTW?
    Nothing alike