Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui? Nino Ceruti?

Bought a bunch of minis on ebay (Kouros, Oscar De la Renta pour Lui and Nino Ceruti pour Homme) and they should be arriving next week. I know what Kouros smells like (and how much my girlfriend hated the first 10 mins before I washed it off, will have to see what she thinks when it dries down as I actually didnt mind it) and the other two are blind.

Does anyone own / have an opinion on the other two?

From what I've read, Oscar pour Lui is as strong (if not stronger!) as Kouros, with crazy sillage and the ability to give everyone around you migraines if applied too strongly. And apparently, Nino Ceruti pour homme has '130 different ingredients' (!!!) blended well together to give a 'typical powerhouse 80s classic.'

Both sound like very interesting fragrances... Can't wait til my package arrives!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Default Re: Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui? Nino Ceruti?

After all the positive comments on basenotes regarding Nino Cerutti, I bought it on e-bay. The initial blast and top notes were wonderful, but the drydown was not good for me---my body chemistry didn't agree with it. I sold it on e-bay.

Post Thanks / Like

I can only speak for myself, as everyone's perception of sillage or strength is different.

Pour Lui is definitely an 80's power frag. I enjoy it very much (I only have a little left in the bottle so I am rationing it).

Kouros, however, is a lot stronger on me.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui, Kouros, Cacharel pour Homme, Antaeus and Santos were launched in 1981. FiFi winner for that year was Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui. Should I say anything more? (OK, OK, Kouros got FiFi award in 1982.).
    Classical, manful, sweet, dry, woody scent with nice lavander, clove and musk notes which I like very much. A quite good longevity. Too strong? It is strong all right, but I don't think it's TOO strong. Let me say it is strong enough.
    I don't get compliments when I wear OdlR pour Lui but I enjoy everytime I wear it and that is much more important.
    Sorry, I couldn't say anything about Nino Cerruti pour Homme; I just don't know well that scent.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

For some reason Pour Lui does not seem to last long on me...maybe 2-3hrs then poof its gone!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peevish_yolk View Post
    Oscar de la Renta pour Lui, Kouros, Cacharel pour Homme, Antaeus and Santos were launched in 1981. FiFi winner for that year was Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui. Should I say anything more? (OK, OK, Kouros got FiFi award in 1982.).
    Classical, manful, sweet, dry, woody scent with nice lavander, clove and musk notes which I like very much. A quite good longevity. Too strong? It is strong all right, but I don't think it's TOO strong. Let me say it is strong enough.
    I don't get compliments when I wear OdlR pour Lui but I enjoy everytime I wear it and that is much more important.
    Sorry, I couldn't say anything about Nino Cerruti pour Homme; I just don't know well that scent.
    "Classical, manful, sweet, dry, woody scent with nice lavander, clove and musk notes" ditto that..i used to copy answers in my exams too..

both oscar and kouros are made in the same vain though...its bold, and it announces it's royal entry...where oscar is dark, brooding forest wiht subtle hints of resins and no hint of light whatever...kouros spreads light..burnign camphors and heavy dose of sandal wood along with incense is wht i get from kouros...and incidently, women hate both. thye may like their dry down...but wudnt appreciate it otherwise..

Three great choices you made there. Pour Lui is a potent one, with great sillage, and to me is a quintessential French scent. It is very elegant, I think, better worn when dressed up. I agree with the notes listed by peevish_yolk, but I also get a great deal of incense from this one as well It is one of my long-time favorites. Cerruti's first scent is also a gem, a wonderful coniferous concoction that is very smoothly blended, so many of the notes are harder to pick out. I don't think of this one as especially potent vis-a-vis the other two, but it is not a shrinking violet. I find it to be the most versatile of the three and one that would be suitable as an office scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Nino Cerruti is a wonderful fragrance. I will always associate it with my tour of the California Missions last year, as the Cerruti smelled a bit like the inside of the Catholic churches. As much as I like it, it does not produce alot of sillage on me and lacks longevity as well.

Oscar Por Lui is another story. It is a sillage monster and has 24 hr. longevity. The comparison to Kouros ends there, as they are really very different fragrances. Oscar is heavy on the lavender/clove, where as the Kouros composition stresses eucalyptus, incense, and of course, civet.

I like Cerruti and Kouros equally. Oscar is a bit much for me (though I own it, too.)