Code of Conduct

Default The samples I received today, and this great community

A few weeks ago I had a topic about Terre d'Hermes not being available in Cairo, and that there was a chance I might buy it blind. A few hours later, a Basenoter offered to send me samples. I asked him about the costs and he told me not to worry about it. So he said he was going to send me samples as soon as he gets it, and I waited. Thanks to another Basenoter's directions, I was able to find Terre d'Hermes in Cairo and test it. I told Roberto that I have found it, but he still insisted on sending me the samples, free of charge. And to my surprise, he also told me he was collecting a pack of samples to send me, and all he wanted in return was simply my opinion about each fragrance.

So today I received the pack, and I cannot describe the thrill I am feeling right now. The moment I opened the pack I was like "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" There was just so many beautiful fragrances. I was simply amazed, and it was the most joyful day in a long time.

I would like to thank Roberto very much for what he did to a total stranger. You really helped out a fellow perfume addict. I appreciate it *very* much.

Thank you to all the Basenoters. Three months ago I knew absolutely nothing about fragrances, now I've developed this new magnificent hobby and became the fragrance reference among my friends, thanks to this exceptionally friendly community.

Here's a list of the samples:

Terre d'Hermes, 5 samples
    Dior Homme
    Guerlain Habit Rouge, large sample
    Kiehl's Original Musk Edt
    Davidoff Adventure, 2 samples
    Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien, large sample
    Annick Goutal Sables, large sample
    Cartier Declaration
    Hugo XY
    Azzaro Chrome, 2 samples
    ZegnaIntenso
    Caron Pour Un Homme, 3 samples
    L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque, large sample
    Roberto Cavalli Black
    Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, large sample
    Last edited by Mostapha; 19th March 2008 at 06:58 PM.

Default Re: The samples I received today, and this great community

Mostapha, thats a fantastic story! And your list of samples is extraordinary (and exciting!). I just bet you will have a blast going through that lot!

I've also been touched by the generosity of fellow BNers in the past. Ive received almost full bottles, 10ml samples/decants and testers from genuinely good people who have a passion for passing on a beloved scent so that it might be enjoyed by another.
    I tip my hat to you all!

Enjoy your new booty, Mostapha! And remember to report back with some of your impressions!

nice list of samples man - have fun!

I remember the first big package of samples I got a couple of years back...

I thought, this has to be some sort of mistake or something!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Brilliant... let us know your impressions of the scents you've received .. happy sniffing

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I decided to give Habit Rouge the first full day wearing. And guess what? It got me my first female compliment! A high quality scent. Vanilla and amber are clear at the basenotes. Very mature and classy, sillage is just as much as I want it to be, and I still have it on my skin from 7 hours. I'm 21 but I felt very comfortable (and confident) wearing this. It got me a (joke) negative comment as well, also from a female friend. Habit Rouge was simply the conversation of the day. Beautiful scent.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 19th March 2008 at 04:13 PM.

Thumbs up Re: The samples I received today, and this great community

Mostapha...
    That is an incredible story!!!!! I am so very happy for you!
    I got so excited when I read that list! Those are some great scents, especially Habit Rouge, L'Ombre dans L'Eau, and Parfum d'Habit. (which along with Route du Vetiver has me VERY interested in the rest of the MPG line) Please keep us updated. I can't wait to read your thoughts on each.

Roberto,
    I don't know you... but I am touched by your kindness and generosity. Not trying to sound all preachy or anything, but I am a firm believer that you truly reap what you sow. Something great and beautiful is coming your way, my friend. May you reap an abundant harvest in greater proportion to that of which you sowed.

Damn... I could almost get emotional. I'm such a punk!

I love this site!
    LONG LIVE BASENOTES!!!!!

-Teddy

I want to send and receive samples/decants too, but I don't know where to get those tiny bottles. Where can I get them?

Lucius

Here ya go Lucius.
    www.accessoriesforfragrances.com

Btw.. good to see you posting again.

another good source for decant bottles:

http://www.madinaonline.com/items.as...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=

I too have been graced by the generosity of our members here. I'f you've seen my collection photos, all the little 2.5ml spray bottles I have are gifts from ppl here and have led me to totally refine my knowledgebase and tastes.

A shout out to all my trade partners too!

This place rocks!
    Last edited by thaifighter; 19th March 2008 at 06:12 PM.

A touching story. Sounds like you'll be having some fun! Half of those fragrances I've never tried myself yet. My own shipment of Habit Rouge is supposedly in the mail - a result of a recent first-time sampling. Although it has been around for many years, it came across to me as a "timeless" male scent and absolutely "bottle-worthy".

Sounds familiar.
    When I first joined Basenotes a member did the same for me, and sent me a treasure box full of amazing samples. Since then many kind folks have given or traded samples with me. Now I try to do the same for new folks when I can, sending out packs of samples to enthusiastic new members. The generosity here is one of the things that has made Basenotes a special place.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

What a fantastic story! Congrats to both of you: Mostapha for having the opportunity to try so many wonderful scents, and Roberto for making it possible.

You are not your perfume.

Aww, that's cute I feel the same way as Mostapha about basenotes, and I love it, and spend too much time on it! Unfortunately, i'm not as helpful as most Basenotes members, but I still enjoy contributing and having people to talk to about a hobby which most people consider to be a bit odd I've received two sample packs from two fantastic people, and I couldn't thank them enough, just fantastic

Well, quite the same thing happened to me before 2 months. I had a conversation with another basenoter in the flash chat and after that he sent me a package with 40+ samples.When I opened the box I was like stunned - there were so many samples and most of them are not even available in my country.He has sent me 5-6 different Geo F. Trumper, AdP Colonia and Intensa, Black XS,212 Sexy Man,LV - 2(I forgot there names),Parfum D'Empire - 4-5 samples,Azzaro Onyx,SL Daim Blond,MPG Amber Preciaux,L'Instant de Guerlain, Kenzo Air,Burberry Touch,Boss In motion and many many more. Thank you for being so generous and well going person, Guidion.I will always appreciate what you have done for me.

Yep I also received a bunch of nice L'Artisan samples from Nearfantastica. Really is an awesome thing, and I am extremely appreciative.

Thumbs up Re: The samples I received today, and this great community

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    Mostapha...
    That is an incredible story!!!!! I am so very happy for you!
    I got so excited when I read that list! Those are some great scents, especially Habit Rouge, L'Ombre dans L'Eau, and Parfum d'Habit. (which along with Route du Vetiver has me VERY interested in the rest of the MPG line) Please keep us updated. I can't wait to read your thoughts on each.

Roberto,
    I don't know you... but I am touched by your kindness and generosity. Not trying to sound all preachy or anything, but I am a firm believer that you truly reap what you sow. Something great and beautiful is coming your way, my friend. May you reap an abundant harvest in greater proportion to that of which you sowed.

Damn... I could almost get emotional. I'm such a punk!

I love this site!
    LONG LIVE BASENOTES!!!!!

-Teddy
    Thanks Teddy i am touched.....Thanks very very much...
    All the best to you and all basenoters
    Roberto

So far I've given the following perfumes a full wearing:
    Habit Rouge. Simply mind blowing and out of this world. It elevates you to a special mood. After the first time I wore it, I realized this is something to keep for special days. Using this often is like driving a Bentley to the supermarket.

Dior Homme is another story. I find the makeup note very comforting. Not fond of the top notes, but the drydown is magnificent and it lasts long. My mother recognized the makup smell instantly and didn't like it, but I do, and my friends have complimented me on it.

Wore L'Ombre dans L'Eau one night and I got a dominant a grass note. Very nice scent, a friend told me I smelled "comforting" and "huggy."

Davidoff Adventure, Hugo XY and Azzaro Chrome Legend are all okay but, IMO, non is bottle-worthy, with Adventure being my favorite, and the Hugo my least favorite.

Terre d'Hermes is next to try full day.

How do I get in on this?

Yesterday:
    First time Terre d'Hermes. What an experience!
    The few times I tested Td'H on my arm, I thought it was very strong, and it was only one spray. I could even smell my arm every now and then without reaching for it. So I thought a full application of Terre d'Hermes would be suffocatingly strong, but today I realized this is not the case at all.

I applied liberally in the morning, and the scent was very strong yet very gentle on the nose, and it kept its full strength for almost five hours. With most scents, I get a whiff every while but with this one I smelled it continuously with almost every breath.
    Today was Parfum d'Habit. Now I could not really pick the notes, but I did enjoy it thoroughly. Very natural and classy, and I could smell it all day without getting bored or annoyed. I received FOUR compliments in one day, three of which from people who never noticed me before. Today I had to say "MPG Parfum d'Habit" eight times, four of which very slowly. It's strong and lasts very long too. My last "what perfume are you wearing?" was almost 9 hours into application.

Mostapha,
    I'm enjoying reading about your daily fragrance experiences. You've got some phenomenal samples there. Make sure you post your reactions after each one.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Thank you!
    Today was Caron Pour Un Homme. Very pleasant scent, but it didn't last long and lacked strength even though I applied a lot. Maybe because this one didn't come with a sprayer. I could smell it occasionally and I had someone about a meter away compliment it, but after the first 4 hours it was nearly undetectable. Other than that, it is interesting and I will definitely wear it again.

I could pick a similarity to Dior Homme. What is that common note/smell?