Code of Conduct

Default Which fragrance comes closest to Guerlain Vetiver (old version)?

I'm looking for the ultimate replacement of Guerlain's classic. Which men's fragrance comes closest to the old version of GV? The new version unfortunately doesn't.

Default Re: Which fragrance comes closest to Guerlain Vetiver (old version)?

Kiehl's Vetiver

Lubin Le Vetiver is very similar to Guerlain in that it has a smokey tobacco note in the basenote similar to the old Guerlain. The base does not have any animlaic notes to them though. Le Vetiver is different in the opening which is a little greener with mandarin/citrus, but not quite as sweet as the opening of original Geurlain vetiver. It is similar, but I like it better.

Thumbs up Re: Which fragrance comes closest to Guerlain Vetiver (old version)?

MPG's Racine might, or might not be what you are looking for. Anyhow, I strongly recommend it.

Creed Vetiver 1948 is an underrated gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Kiehl's Vetiver
    I didn't know they made one? Interesting...

I'd respectfully disagree with Rex and say the closest thing to old GV is new GV. While there certainly is a difference, it's still going to be closer than a completely different company's take on vetiver. Some say GV Extreme is closer to the original but I haven't been able to do a side by side comparison.

The only other thing which comes close in my mind is Royall Vetiver, available on line cheaply and also in Brooks Brothers shops if you want to smell it first.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I remember hearing that Royall Vetiver was quite similar. Don't recall if it was a review from here (would check, but as you know...) or from one of the wet shaving websites I sometime check out.

Either way, I plan on trying it real soon. If anyone else has already, please chime in...inquiring minds want to know:-)
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I didn't know they made one? Interesting...

I'd respectfully disagree with Rex and say the closest thing to old GV is new GV. While there certainly is a difference, it's still going to be closer than a completely different company's take on vetiver. Some say GV Extreme is closer to the original but I haven't been able to do a side by side comparison.

Ged
    100% agree.
    The new version is slightly greener and lasts a lot longer (possibly because the old bottle has lost a fresh top note, due to it's being old?).
    And I can only tell them apart with effort in side by side testing.

Anyhow, I keep coming across old bottles of GV in Australia all the time, most recently two months ago. The tester had gone off though.

Renato