Code of Conduct

Default For my 1,000th post - a little perspective on Creed

If you have been reading the same posts I have, it is obvious that we have recently been inundated with Creed threads. Creed this and Creed that - ad nauseum.

An outside observer could easily form the opinion that we spend most of our time worshipping at the house of Creed.

So, I tread more than a little lightly when I offer up yet another Creed thread based upon my experience with Basenotes and Creed fragrances.

It seems only fitting that on the day of my 1,000th post I would finally purchase the Creed that is number one in the opinion of many Basenoters - Bois du Portugal.

It is not my first Creed, that honor goes to Green Irish Tweed which was purchased when I was still a lurker on Basenotes. From all the accolades, I thought for sure that GIT would become my new holy grail. Little did I know that I was just at the beginning of a new avocation/obsession.

GIT was the first purchase I made under the influence of the Basenotes community. My second Creed was my tenth purchase - Original Vetiver.

I liked some Creed fragrances and disliked others. I put Creed out of mind and went off to explore other houses and other fragrances.

I did not return for quite a while. I did not return until my nose became more acclimated to unfamiliar notes and fragrance families. I did not return until my ninety-second purchase - Ambre Cannelle. Acier Aluminum and Baie de Genievre followed in short order at 98 and 99 respectively.

Royal English Leather entered my life as my 115th purchase. At this point, I had six Creeds which was about 5% of my wardrobe. I also had six Guerlains, six Hermes, five Chanels, three Carons, three Lutens and so on.

The big boy, Vintage Tabarome (my favorite Creed) became my 121st purchase. Neroli Sauvage followed at 137. Then, nothing - at least as it concerned Creed.

Nothing until today, that is, when on my 213th purchase (counting those I have since sold) I purchased my ninth Creed - Bois du Portugal. Creeds now represent a little over 4% of my collection.

I don't own many of the most popular Creeds - no Erolfa, Millesime Imperial, Silver Mountain Water, Original Santal, etc. The only other ones I have been eyeing lately are Orange Spice and Cuir de Russie.

I have gone through this litany in the hopes that someone who is just becoming familiar with Basenotes will refrain from prejudging our Creedship as blind obedience to some hypothetical pack leader.

The hype certainly gave me an initial favorable opinion of Creed but that lasted only for the first two purchases. After that, each additional Creed earned its way into my collection the hard way - the same as any other fragrance.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Default Re: For my 1,000th post - a little perspective on Creed

great post you sure do buy alot of fragrances!!

Post Re: For my 1,000th post - a little perspective on Creed

Congrats TwoRoads! In just six months or so, you have made yourself an invaluable member of this comunity - you make me very self-conscious about my slowness in reaching 1,000!

I agree about the Creed madness that is going on; it doesn't make sense at all (although this isn't exactly what you were saying). There is no reason why exactly the fragrances that are under the name of Creed would be so much better than all the others. Several perfumers have made Creeds, they are very different from one other (bar some of the new ones), and it for sure is not the only house that uses premium ingredients. In short, to like just or mostly Creeds is for sure not about the superiority of these scents, but dishonesty towards one's own taste. Fragrance wise, I can't take seriously opinions of a person who has bias like this.

Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    ....you sure do buy alot of fragrances!!
    It only seems that way.

Looking at the thread where members post pictures of their collections keeps things in perspective for me. Mine is just average.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I enjoy your posts TwoRoads and Congrats!

On Creed: I own and love BdP, Vintage Tabarome and Original Vetiver alot, but they are 3 of 60 frags in my collection. I like balance in my frags and my life. When one puts too much weight on one aspect of life, others areas are neglected and dysfunction sets in. This analogy is the same in fragrance collecting IMO. The constant chatter and cheerleading for your House of choice drowns out any validity or respect one may try to convey in his/her posts. Scripted answers and suggestions that we can all guess the answer to before we even read the post; I think it kind of silly really.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 19th March 2008 at 12:29 PM.

Congrats, TwoRoads--I always look forward to reading what you have to say...and to seeing what Chloe is up to on a given day.

Congrats for reaching 1000! And what a really nice post too... thanks for it!

Best wishes for your next 1000!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Basenotes Institution

Congratulations Paul!

Creed? What's Creed?

Congratulations! I really like reading your posts. Keep 'em coming.
    You are not your perfume.

Congratulations. I have only one Creed, GIT, and in the coming 2-3 years no more will be bought. There ARE nice houses out, it wouldn't be right to get up and to go to bed just with Creed in our mind.
    Clever thought those, you gave, thanks.

Just an aside to Jock's comment on balance in life...my collection of full-size bottles is down to 23. That's probably the lowest number in my last 10 years. I have sold off many scents recently that I was simply not wearing enough. I am waiting on Acqua di Parma Intensa to arrive. I have Gucci PH II and YSL L'Homme listed on ebay right now; fine scents, but they don't make the cut.

My current Creeds are testers of SMW and Himalaya, and a several years old bottle of GIT that is about 20% full.

I'm really trying to maintain a core of around 25 scents that will get frequent use.

Congratulations on 1000 posts!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I have gone through this litany in the hopes that someone who is just becoming familiar with Basenotes will refrain from prejudging our Creedship as blind obedience to some hypothetical pack leader.

The hype certainly gave me an initial favorable opinion of Creed but that lasted only for the first two purchases. After that, each additional Creed earned its way into my collection the hard way - the same as any other fragrance.
    Congrats on reaching 1000! Like you, I have accumulated a little Creed collection (6) in my buying journey through 60-70 fragrances in the past 5 or more years. I didn't immediately discover them, get caught in the hype, rush out and buy as many as I could to the neglect of other houses, etc... but rather studied them, found the ones I liked, and picked up one here and there amongst other purchases, designer and niche.

I agree, they do have to earn their way into one's collection, just as any niche or designer does. But I tell you what, they really have earned their way in, and I reach for them a lot.

You have made 2 salient points quoted above, with which I totally agree, and would like to add a third.

A newcomer to Basenotes could just as easily pick up on a sneaking insinuation (not in TwoRoads thread but just in general) that Creed fans are just lemmings who fall for the marketing hype, and the "real" fragrance lovers seek out even more niche frags, have more eclectic tastes, the real hype now is on Le Labo, Lutens, Montale etc etc... This is equally as preposterous as the thought that one should only own Creed.

Thus I thank you for your post as it highlights to new BNers the need to take everything with a grain of salt, try try try as many fragrances which are discussed here, buy many samples and decants but buy bottles carefully and build a collection slowly as tastes change quickly during the "learning curve". And if you find yourself loving or hating Creed, either way you don't have to fell guilty.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Congrats on reaching this mark!

But who cares what percentage Creed makes up ones wardrobe? Just keep an open mind, try different stuff and buy what you like. Trying to diversify your wardrobe just for the sake of it isn't wise...either those juices will rarely be used by you or make their way to the marketplace...
    -

TwoRoads,

An interesting post, but 213 purchases in six month's time!? Oh, my.

Congrats on your 1000 TR, and thanks for you excellent contributions to this community.

I have lots of Creeds. I happen to really like the straightforward style with natural smelling accords and a lack of clutter and I think Creed do this very well. There are quite a few which I don't like: - Epicea, Original Santal, Erolfa, Green Valley, Royal Delight, Royal Water, Silver Mountain Water, Baie de Genivere, Orange Spice, Zeste Mandarin P, Aubpine Acacia,....but it still quicker to list these rather than the ones I very much enjoy (all the rest ).

Cheers!
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by levente View Post
    TwoRoads,

An interesting post, but 213 purchases in six month's time!? Oh, my.
    No, I was a lurker long before joining as a member.

Congrats Paul on hitting 1000, and thanks for all you have added to Basenotes. Take care...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Creed? What's Creed?

It's right next to your Serge Luten bottles
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Congratulations my friend... and 213 fragrances is by no means an average collection.. I have about 32 and I already think I have a little too many

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Thumbs up Re: For my 1,000th post - a little perspective on Creed

Congratulations!