Code of Conduct

Thread: french lover

Default french lover

I'm surprised people here aren't liking this more. Also, I can totally see it as an intense version of Angeliques slP, only with moss/vetiver... I have a feeling it's impossible to take the original scent without adding moss to make it more concentrated, since Rush and Let me play the Lion are very similar and also suffer from weakness and poor longevity. All that said, I don't think I would spring for it at the retail price, but when would I ever... but I find it appealing. I'd be thrilled to have it if I got a great deal on it.

Default Re: french lover

Thanks for posting Supermarky. Earlier today, I was considering French Lover as my SOTD for tomorrow and this clinches it. FL is an incredibly well-balanced composition in which each note blends very well with the other notes . The anjelica in the opening compliments the pimento and galbanum in the middle, and it smells wonderful. Pimento provides a subtle peppery bite to the incense, musks, and hint of patchouli dwelling in the base. The galbanum note is intriguing in that it creates a fresh, green accord as it blends with the base. Overall, pleasing peppery, pimento, woody,incense, musk that seems fit for all seasons. I like it and and need to wear it more.

oh I can't just go "" as a reply so ... get ready:

Ah, Malle's "Himalaya" .. good stuff, but I just ran out of my large sample ..
    -

I like this fragrance. It's not an all-the-time perfume, and - unlike when my Knize Ten sample ran out - I probably won't rush out and buy a bottle, but I've really been enjoying it the times I wear it. I don't know what pimento smells like, but I'm assuming that's the nose-catching pepper note I smell.
    The whole thing rather reminds me of salad with some sort of Mediterranean herbal dressing, in a good way: there is a feeling of freshly cut vegetables in among the herbal ingredients.

the cheesy name irks me so much I didn 't even bother testing it

This one is a victim of the name brand's success. For the expectations, the price, everything considered, FL falls a bit short for me. It is masculine and it does have an aura about it...but I'm pretty much underwhelmed.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by bilqis View Post
    Yeah, it kind of has to be up there with bad product names.
    I mean, what if someone asks you what you're wearing? You can almost guarantee snarky responses when you tell them the name. In fact, they write themselves:

"Where'd you meet her?"

"I've heard Mail Order Bride is cheaper."

"I'm glad it's not Greek Lover."

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Yeah, it kind of has to be up there with bad product names.
    I mean, what if someone asks you what you're wearing? You can almost guarantee snarky responses when you tell them the name. In fact, they write themselves:

"Where'd you meet her?"

"I've heard Mail Order Bride is cheaper."

"I'm glad it's not Greek Lover."
    I wear Putain des Palaces and I have no shame revealing my favorite provocation frag name but French Lover? I 'd be embarassed...
    Last edited by bilqis; 2nd November 2007 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky View Post
    I'm surprised people here aren't liking this more. Also, I can totally see it as an intense version of Angeliques slP, only with moss/vetiver... I have a feeling it's impossible to take the original scent without adding moss to make it more concentrated, since Rush and Let me play the Lion are very similar and also suffer from weakness and poor longevity. All that said, I don't think I would spring for it at the retail price, but when would I ever... but I find it appealing. I'd be thrilled to have it if I got a great deal on it.
    I couldn't agree more ! Of course I didn't sample a tenth of what' s new in 2007, but from my point of view this is a niche winner!
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd November 2007 at 07:17 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

yeah and quit complaining about the name they changed it anyhoo

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by bilqis View Post
    It could be worse: Funtastic Boy.

one of my favorites fall scents...thats true, it is not an everyday fragrance...but very good and masculine...ONE Spray thats it...don´t over spray this one!!!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Just call it Bois d'Orage (Stormy Woods) and be done with all the fretting about the name!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    This one is a victim of the name brand's success. For the expectations, the price, everything considered, FL falls a bit short for me. It is masculine and it does have an aura about it...but I'm pretty much underwhelmed.

TNMA

Underwhelmed is the perfect one word review. If Malle wants to make the ultimate mens frag he's going to need to do a lot better than this French Lover. Hey Malle, try kicking up a couple notches and enter the league of Yatagan and Muscs Koublai Khan if you want to compete for best mens frag. Potent and virile is what you need, not some wimpy, wannabe woody frag. I can't figure out how this HO HUM frag got approved for the market.

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky View Post
    yeah and quit complaining about the name they changed it anyhoo
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Bois D'Orage a reformulation for the American market?

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Bois D'Orage a reformulation for the American market?
    To the best of my knowledge French Lover is identical to Bois D'Orage. Just the names for marketing purposes are different.

In case anyone is wondering where I read that:

"Meanwhile, the U.S. version of French Lover that will be called Bois d’Orage will actually be slightly different - heavier on musk, we hear."

http://www.aromascope.com/wp/2007/07/

And also here on Basenotes:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=199153

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Underwhelmed is the perfect one word review. If Malle wants to make the ultimate mens frag he's going to need to do a lot better than this French Lover. Hey Malle, try kicking up a couple notches and enter the league of Yatagan and Muscs Koublai Khan if you want to compete for best mens frag. Potent and virile is what you need, not some wimpy, wannabe woody frag. I can't figure out how this HO HUM frag got approved for the market.
    Read Vibert's review of this one--it is perhaps the perfect expression of the purpose of and place for this scent. Excerpted below is the distillation of the review's theme (and one of the best review lines I've read on this site):

Exchange Yatagan's crude furs for an impeccably tailored suit and you might wind up with something like French Lover: Yatagan for the twenty first century. Where a scent like Kouros or Yatagan might open its fly and display its genitalia, French Lover simply adjusts its collar

Gotta love Vibert. I admire Yatagan, but I hardly ever wear it. I really like French Lover and would wear this alot (but I won't buy a bottle at full retail)
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    Read Vibert's review of this one--it is perhaps the perfect expression of the purpose of and place for this scent. Excerpted below is the distillation of the review's theme (and one of the best review lines I've read on this site):

I'll agree with with Viberts quote, but it's still not for me. I don't want to be subtle and fix my collar. I want to show my genatalia, and Yatagan does that for me. There isn't one week that goes by that I don't wear Yatagan at least once.

to me this was one of the worst releases of the year, due to the weak, and lame dry down.
    However, not only are they changing the name for U.S release, but also the formula. Hopefully it will have a more pronounced sillage, longer lasting basenotes. And bring the concentration above 7%.
    If this was released under another house, with a much lower price point, it would have been OK. But $200 for such a mediocre scent?
    Last edited by musclegod007; 3rd November 2007 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by musclegod007 View Post
    to me this was one of the worst releases of the year, due to the weak, and lame dry down.
    However, not only are they changing the name for U.S release, but also the formula. Hopefully it will have a more pronounced sillage, longer lasting basenotes. And bring the concentration above 7%.
    You sure got this right!

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I'll agree with with Viberts quote, but it's still not for me. I don't want to be subtle and fix my collar. I want to show my genatalia, and Yatagan does that for me. There isn't one week that goes by that I don't wear Yatagan at least once.
    Good for you that you know your style.

But that doesn't necessarily make it FM's fault that he helped to create a scent that doesn't fit your style.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    Good for you that you know your style.

But that doesn't necessarily make it FM's fault that he helped to create a scent that doesn't fit your style.

That's correct. I'm just searching for more frags that fit my lifestyle and find choices very limited. Wish todays perfumers had more balls to launch something more cutting edge.

Amen, brother.

Basenotes Institution

OK - here's my thoughts on French Lover:

- Oh so this is what angelica is supposed to smell like? Angeliques sous la Pluie (the other Frederic Malle scent) was like a sneak preview of angelica - whereas French Lover pushed it right up to the front and spun it all around in the top notes nicely. Reminded me (and many other Basenoters) of some 80's scents
    - The midnotes reminded me TOO much of Jaisalmer by Comme des Garcons. I posted a thread about this. Not sure if it's my crazy nose - but anyone that owns both please try these side-by-side and chime in whether they smell the similarities. As I said, FL reminds me too much to actually think about owning a bottle
    - I found this to fall in that classification of scents that I really FELT LIKE I should like, but ultimately didn't (Dior Homme, Bois du Portugal, etc) - so much so, that when I reached the bottom of the very generous decant bottle (thanks Vibert) I felt kind of relieved.
    - Perhaps this scent, released from another line (not Frederic Malle) would not have disappointed me so much - but MOST of the Malle scents I love, except for a few, including FL
    - If I may quote zztopp from a previous Basenotes thread on FL, Malle created FL as an everyman scent and every line needs an everyman scent. I agree wholeheartedly.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by P-Natra View Post
    ONE Spray thats it...don´t over spray this one!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Of course I didn't sample a tenth of what' s new in 2007, but from my point of view this is a niche winner!
    I think FL is sophisticated, contemplative scent. It's more for yourself than to share with somebody

I get the impression of dark woods, of furs when I smell FL.

Why it is called FL? What kind of man should wear this scent? Probably high-minded man which and making love can not forget that he is alone
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Finally sniffed Bois d'Orage at Barneys. It was nice. Reminded me of Vetiver 46 a bit.
    The longevity was not great but acceptable. I didn't get the Jaisalmer connection that Mike Perez23 refers to. Nice, but not at the price tag it has. There are several other frags that I would spend money on before it. Also, I read that the formulation was going to be tweaked for the American market, but I don't think this happened after all.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    Why it is called FL? What kind of man should wear this scent?
    Bois d'Orage was the name of a project, intended to also be the name of a perfume (I suppose). French Lover was adopted when the perfume was finished but not released. Malle had it on for a luncheon appointment. The young lady he met noticed it kissing his cheeks. She was pleasantly surprised, and for whatever reason exclaimed : 'French Lover ?' That amused Frederick Malle, and they both had a good laugh, but - a new name was born! That's the whole story.

Smelling the perfume, everybody must realize the name is a joke, not a program ! People over here don't have a problem with it.
    Last edited by narcus; 5th November 2007 at 05:15 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

smells amazing, a particularly intricate scent. understated and masculine.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

I much liked "Thunderwood" better than french lover....and Supermarky i felt this one to be about a 9 out of ten, and thought "how could some of these bozo's posting reviews not like this!

in the end I didn't like this stuff after all! too sort of plasticky somehow something in it finally turned me off

I've been debating between Bois D'Orage and Angelique Sous Le Pluie as to which one will be my last purchase for 2007. I have samples of both so I wore them alternately for 8 days. In the end, i didn't care much for Bois D'Orage and purchased Angelique from Barneys.
    Last edited by lsp_NY; 16th December 2007 at 02:16 PM.

Tested Bois d' Orage yesterday, a lil better on the base....but still LAME. first FM that in my book truly sucks.

I just tried this for the first time today. Yes, as some have mentioned, it's close to Angeliques sous la Pluie and Vetiver 46, but I actually think it's a way better Terre d'Hermes. I didn't care of TdH, but this stuff is everything I wanted it to be. After a couple more wearings, this could be a summer staple of mine.

Thumbs up so far.....