Code of Conduct

Default Just entered a dry, green stage.

It must be something to do with the change of season, but I have lately begun to
    eschew all those gourmandy, comforting winter scents in favour of a completely
    different kettle of fish - dry, slightly austere, green fragrances.
    Top of my list this week is IVOIRE (Balmain 1979). I am so enjoying it's creamy,
    almost bitter, leafy, cut grass-like elegance.
    The long-neglected MA GRIFFE (Carven 1940's)has also begun to register on my wavelength and
    it really is a stunner. The initial blast is quite surprising and a bit metallic, but then I get the
    fresh green floral, mossy aftertaste, which is quite amazing.
    Funnily enough, I also like my white wine on the dry side (Muscadet, Pouilly Fuisse)
    Maybe it's my age - when moisturiser suddenly becomes essential along with the
    hand cream. Is my drying skin being reflected in my choice of perfume, maybe?
    Does anyone out there understand where I'm coming from?

Default Re: Just entered a dry, green stage.

Green florals are a continuing favourite for me too.
    I've loved Ivoire for years, almost as much as my Givenchy III which I can't purchase any more.
    I think Je Reviens falls into this category too. Sharp and Green. For a more powerful scent I turn to Cabotine.

I love sauvignon blanc from New Zealand, wonderful "green" wine with hint of mown grass. So Kewart I understand your point of view entirely - although in my part of the world we are moving to autumn not spring!

Yes, I think I went through the same thing a few weeks ago (and it's nowhere near spring here but maybe I was anticipating it, or just starved for green). I've been seeking out some of the classic green chypres, but also found some newer scents that fit the bill:

--Parfumerie Generale Corps et Ames -- bold green chypre, lots of geranium

--Parfum d'Empire Eau de Gloire -- a burst of citrus and herbs, joined with a bit of leather. Nice and dry.

--Miller Harris Fleur de Sel -- Lots of herbs, some salt, maybe a whiff of smoke. I have to *really* be in the mood for an astringent green scent, though -- when I wore it my husband said I smelled like tea tree oil.

--TDC Sel de Vetiver -- Bright rooty vetiver, salt, smoke, yum!

Now I've started to go back to the sweet, comfy ones again, but I'm looking forward to wearing more green with spring.

Wink Re: Just entered a dry, green stage.

Quote Originally Posted by WidgeryWinks View Post
    Givenchy III
    In the UK, it's available at Harrods, in a limited batch edition, and it's only around 40 for 100ml, I suggest you call them up, as they ship internationally (Not affiliated ofc)

Thanks for those recommendations Sucrose1 I quite fancy the sound
    of the first two.I haven't tried either of those two perfume companies
    as yet. (Credit card is quaking in its holder!!)
    Je Reviens is one my sister wears well Widgery Winks. Love it on her.
    Last edited by kewart; 19th March 2008 at 09:02 PM.

Ivoire was my SOTD today.

It's great stuff for anyone - male or female - who likes their greens and florals smooth and almost completely sugar-free. This one'll get a lot of use come spring. Best of all? It's got real oakmoss in it :-)
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

Smile Re: Just entered a dry, green stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    In the UK, it's available at Harrods, in a limited batch edition, and it's only around £40 for 100ml, I suggest you call them up, as they ship internationally (Not affiliated ofc)
    Thanks so much Vivek for the info about Givenchy III as I didnt realise it was still available. Thats good news!
    Last edited by WidgeryWinks; 20th March 2008 at 07:00 AM.

Chanel's Cristalle: a classic that never disappoints.

Yep I totally know where your coming from. I love my warm comfort scents but lately I've been creeping back towards my favorite Chypres. Must be the lighter evenings and changes in the weather - the beginning of spring!

Mitsouko is top of my list but another of my all time faves is Balmain's Jolie Madame - a beautiful green chypre, like the smell of freshly mown grass with undertones of leather. One sniff of this transports me to a beautiful summers day! - I could almost eat myself with this on it's that good!

I've been there, too, kewart. I love Ma Griffe and Ivoire, nice austere (good word) green scents. But I like to mix them (odd as it may sound) and sometimes like to add a bit of Fendi to the mix to add a bit of bottom. I spray each on a different body part so I can fine-tune the blend. Au printemps!

this has happened lately to me as I have shifted away from the gourmand foody serge lutens that had long been my favourite to ultramasculine scents like versailles homme and bois du portugal, I have a few more ultramasculines coming in via ebay. I suppose eventually we all just get bored of something and move to a next one