Code of Conduct

Thread: help!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Question help!!!

i'm desperate!

so, i'm REEEEEEALLY picky about my fragrance preferences, AND i'm very sensitive to scents, thanks to allergies and migraines. i am incapable of tolerating 99% of commercial perfumes/fragrances, and i prefer to use essential oils/EO blends as my fragrance.

on top of all that, i hate pretty much all florals. my favorite scents are vanilla and coffee, but i also enjoy citrusy scents... BUT... another reason i use EOs is because even vanilla and coffee will set off my allergies and/or trigger a migraine if they are synthetic.

despite all this, i ADORE Hollywood Pink, by mark (Avon)... so, naturally, it's being discontinued.

ever since i discovered this fragrance, i've wanted to recreate it using EOs.

i know what the notes are:

TOP: mandarin, tangerine
    MIDDLE: muguet (lily of the valley), freesia
    BOTTOM: musk, cacao

i can't explain why this scent is not only pleasing to me but also inoffensive to my maladies, seeing as how it contains two florals, but for whatever reason, it works.

however, i seem to be having a hard time finding all the ingredients from a single, reputable source in sample sizes. i don't want to spend a ton on the oils when i'm not even sure if i can accurately recreate Hollywood Pink, but i do want to try.

also, it seems that Muguet and Freesia are difficult if not impossible to find (EO, absolute, whatever is needed). Cacao absolute is somewhat more readily available, but again -- i'd like to order from as few sources as possible, and i'd like them to be reputable!

so... suggestions? good suppliers? adequate non-synthetic substitutes for hard-to-get notes? anything?

and, if anyone else has successfully recreated Hollywood Pink, i would love to know what formula you used

thanks in advance!

Default Re: help!!!

know what the notes are:

i can't explain why this scent is not only pleasing to me but also inoffensive to my maladies, seeing as how it contains two florals, but for whatever reason, it works.

however, i seem to be having a hard time finding all the ingredients from a single, reputable source in sample sizes. i don't want to spend a ton on the oils when i'm not even sure if i can accurately recreate Hollywood Pink, but i do want to try.

also, it seems that Muguet and Freesia are difficult if not impossible to find (EO, absolute, whatever is needed). Cacao absolute is somewhat more readily available, but again -- i'd like to order from as few sources as possible, and i'd like them to be reputable!
    You won't find muguet as a natural product. There are a number of synthetics used for a muguet note - hydroxycitronellal is the traditional material but that is being used less because of skin sensitization issues. Other synthetics for a muguet note are muguet aldehye, lyral and lillial.

The fragrance pyramid you have is probably something intended as a lyrical, poetic description of the fragrance and not something that is intended to actually disclose the materials used in the composition.
    Last edited by dcampen; 19th March 2008 at 11:34 PM.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I caution that before you waste your money, your scent will smell nothing like what you are tryin to create by using the EO's you have listed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    I caution that before you waste your money, your scent will smell nothing like what you are tryin to create by using the EO's you have listed.
    then what suggestions would you have for me to attemp recreating the scent?

Contact a professional perfumer. DSH Perfumes will work on a reproduction for $575.00.
    https://www.dshperfumes.com/custom_eo.asp?page=18
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen View Post
    Contact a professional perfumer. DSH Perfumes will work on a reproduction for $575.00.
    https://www.dshperfumes.com/custom_eo.asp?page=18
    that's not exactly the best option for me, considering the original fragrance only cost $15 when i first bought it, and i can get a spare bottle for $6 right now, while it's on sale during the discontinuation!

plus, part of my desire to recreate the fragrance myself is so i can use as many non-synthetic ingredients as possible. even if i have to spend a little (but still a reasonable amount) on EOs and fragrance oils, and even if my recreation isn't exact but it still captures the essence of the original, i can also use the EOs for other purposes, since i work with them for healing and magickal uses, as well.

Fragrance oils are synthetic oils. Just an FYI.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by maandusa View Post
    that's not exactly the best option for me, considering the original fragrance only cost $15 when i first bought it, and i can get a spare bottle for $6 right now, while it's on sale during the discontinuation!

plus, part of my desire to recreate the fragrance myself is so i can use as many non-synthetic ingredients as possible. even if i have to spend a little (but still a reasonable amount) on EOs and fragrance oils, and even if my recreation isn't exact but it still captures the essence of the original, i can also use the EOs for other purposes, since i work with them for healing and magickal uses, as well.
    you wont be able to even recapture the essence of it, as a perfumer with no experience, trying to imitate an entirely synthetic scent (or at least 90% synthetic) with natural EO's, I can warn you right now itll smell like just a bad mix of nothing constructive. What I suggest is that you do what most of us do when something we love is becoming discontinued, buy up as many bottles as you can

otherwise, im just a perfumery student, but I suppose I could try and whip up something similar to it if you send me a sample vial - I can use a few more naturals than the original if you'd like, and still try and preserve the "feeling" of the fragrance, but from what I see in the notes I can tell you that will be very hard!

I would of course charge less than the other mentioned perfumer, but a perfumers time is not cheap. perfumers are not unlike doctors in that we had to train for 10 years before practicing our art when you want to recreate a healthy heart, you go to the hospital for surgery, not the kitchen, when you want to recreate a scent you go to the perfumer and pay their bill.. unfortunatley thats the way it works

my suggestion to you is buy 10 bottles @ 6$ each, thats nothing. of course im not trying to dissuade you from experimenting with perfumery! but I am letting you know that it will take you at least a few years before you make anything that even vaguely ressembles perfume, or before you can recreate your avon scent.

just buy the bottles

Thumbs up Re: help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen View Post
    The fragrance pyramid you have is probably something intended as a lyrical, poetic description of the fragrance and not something that is intended to actually disclose the materials used in the composition.
    Just like all fragrance pyramids. Keeps the 'connaisseurs' happy.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maandusa View Post

mandarin
    tangerine

MIDDLE
    Muguet
    hydroxy
    lyral
    (insert additional materials for the muguet accord)

Freesia
    ionone beta
    linalol
    (insert additional materials for freesia accord)

BOTTOM
    Galaxolide (cheap)
    Chocovan?

+ a lot more
    Last edited by scentophile; 7th April 2008 at 09:29 PM.