Code of Conduct

Default A couple of Chanel questions.

What does Chanel egoiste if compared to another scent smell like?

Like most smaller cities in North America, Chanel egoiste is not being sold in my city. I already have platinum Egoiste. I don't mind it, but I am not crazy about it.

I read in another thread about someone's experience with it and it sounds like a great scent. I like spicy scents more than woodsy ones. So is their anything that is easy to find and sample that smells like egoiste so that I can pseudo-sample it and buy it online if I like it.

Also I recently tried Chanel Antaeus, it was at the local Chanel make-up counter and I only had a brief encounter with it. This scent was definitely, a prior to 80's scent. Very mature and along the same lines as Dior Eau Savage for me--very similar to my nose.

Does anyone else get this to. It might be totally different but I had not had enough time with it to explore it. How does the maturation of the fragrance vary?

I wanted to know because I suspect Antaeus will be discontinued from our cities small little chanel counter and may have to pick it up if its dissimilar enough to Eau savage.

Default Re: A couple of Chanel questions.

Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    What does Chanel egoiste if compared to another scent smell like?
    It has some similarities with Trumper's Sandalwood cologne even if in egoiste there are prominent notes of rosewood in the opening and vanilla burbon in the drydown and a hint of rose in the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    Also I recently tried Chanel Antaeus, it was at the local Chanel make-up counter and I only had a brief encounter with it. This scent was definitely, a prior to 80's scent. Very mature and along the same lines as Dior Eau Savage for me--very similar to my nose.
    I think you got confused with Pour Monsieur maybe cuz Antaeus has absolutely nothing to share with citrus, basil or hedione that are the main notes of Eau sauvage. Antaeus is an earty, herbal and resinous patchouli with a floral hint. Definitely two different beasts.

If you're looking for something similar to Egoiste to test, try John Varvatos. Varvatos is lacking the rose note in Egoiste, but aside from that, they have a pretty similar general feel. Both have a warm, woody spice, vanilla and leather base.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    It has some similarities with Trumper's Sandalwood cologne even if in egoiste there are prominent notes of rosewood in the opening and vanilla burbon in the drydown and a hint of rose in the heart.
    I agree

"Antaeus has absolutely nothing to share with citrus, basil or hedione that are the main notes of Eau sauvage. Antaeus is an earty, herbal and resinous patchouli with a floral hint. Definitely two different beasts."

Have to second this -- Antaeus and Eau Sauvage are different in pretty much every possible way.

Antaeus and Eau Sauvage couldn't be more different. Antaeus is a nice fragrance, very potent, conservative and classic. But my favorite still is Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree.

Please try Egoiste before buying it. I hate Egoiste because it is very artificial and medicinal.

I like Egoiste alot, but prefer the Concentree version. Get a sample of Egoiste from The Perfume Court and try it for yourself. Never blind buy, I can't even begin to tell you how many frags I thought I would like but was let down after sampling.

Egoiste is very very rosey and quite sweet. It shares nothing with the Platinum version except the name, which you can most probably view as a marketing ploy rather than a family of scents. It's quite intense, and the most prominent notes in the beginning are the gentle mandarin, and then the heart of rose and coriander come out in a warm rush (almost like turkish delight!) with carnation giving it what a lot of people describe as a "medicinal" note, I think it's quite clove-like, and the warm sweetness of the vanilla and sandalwood wafting through the heart during the dry-down.

Get a sample from someone if you can, because it's a fragrance you either love or hate. I love it, my partner hates it! As soon as I say "It's Chanel" silence is restored, lol!

I got anteous today. Glad I did because it was the 2nd last bottle and I think they are not going to sell it locally anymore.

You guys were right, they are alot different. That older citrus note in eau savage is not there and that the main note of eau savage.

Its smells alot more spicy too. I am really happy with the scent. It is alot better in my opinion than platinum egoiste and PM.

I get a hint of citrus(very small) in Anteous.

It just goes to show you, you got to give something a second whiff in addition to letting the fragrance develope on your skin and not on a piece of paper.

I don't know what to put on it but it smells like somthing familiar that not a chanel.

The leather is pretty yummy in this one.

I'm happy that you chose Anteus and not Egoiste. You made the right decision.