Code of Conduct

Post Comme des Garcons

What are your favourite CdG scents, and why? I've heard great things about the Incense series, and fantastic things about the Cologne series, I plan on getting a hold of some samples soon, and was wondering what ones you'd reccomend?

I really like Lily and Tea in Series 1, and should be getting those soon !
    Last edited by Vivek; 20th March 2008 at 04:57 PM.

Default Re: Comme des Garcons

2 Man is a good scent and you should try it. Very wearable, and a neat white smoke note at the opening that draws you in.

tried Odeur 53 and 71 and they are good ... but I am not sure I would want to wear it - since it reminds me of hot, dusty, printed circuit boards.

Guerilla 1 and 2 are very interesting, though they remind me of a fast food restaurant's dumpster rather than a butcher shop, etc. (sicky sweet with some off fruity odors).

I am not sure what to make of Hinoki - it is a cedar odor, with a bit of turpentine - like a lot of wood freshly rubbed with oil. Reminds me of a log cabin - and they wanted it to be like a Japanese hot bath - and I can easily picture on when smelling this.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 20th March 2008 at 05:06 PM.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Thrax

CDG Original EDP
    CDG 2
    CDG 2 Man
    CDG White <-- clove fans should try this one!
    Synthetic Series Skai
    Red Series Rose <-- Rose and raspberries, very nice and cool

Thanks for all the suggestions so far I quite like the sound of the Rose, but am thinking that it may be too feminine, is this the case?

Bromo, I want to try the Guerrila 2, due to the saffron note in it, is it prominent? Nomadtea in the sweet series also sounds good, but it always seems to be disliked :S

The CdG Incense series is a must try for any fragrance enthusiast. Someday I hope to own the entire Incense series collection.
    -

Thrax

Rose can come off as a bit feminine but to be honest I dont have a problem wearing it...

Me too. Rose is my favorite floral scent.

I think the incense series is the most important thing CdG has done. Fantastic as idea, fantastic as scents. Zagorsk is the one I like the best lately, although Kyoto is stellar as well.

After that the Odeurs, and of them 53 is the one to fix on, are such departures from traditional scent thinking that I think they'll be discussed in 100 years even. But discussed doesn't mean worn. Some take to the smell of 53 right away, some after a while, and I think some don't ever take to it. I can't blame anyone either way, I guess. I'm up in the air about it myself.

CdG 2 edt, which I think is hard to find now, is my favorite creation by the house. I think the one that's out now of this creation is CdG 2 edp. I don't mean CdG 2 Man either, that's different. CdG 2 edt hit a wonderful ink note, and floated around beautifully.

Vetiverru is great too. Everyone who I've asked to smell my bottle has loved it.

CdG edp (their first) is a good clove and booze scent, perfect for parties, and it never leaves once you put it on. Great, but I think it's limited in use. CdG White is also great and much the same as the edp but with more flowers. CdG 3 is fun, but seems a little airy, and doesn't seem like anything that anyone will pick up as a scent you're wearing. All these in this paragraph I'll have to pull out and wear again. I need new thoughts on them.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Haha Chris, don't you just love it ? You have oh so many ! I think, i'm going to go for samples of the whole Incense series, the Cologne series and Odeur 53 and the original CdG (2 and 2man can be found at a department store near me!)

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far I quite like the sound of the Rose, but am thinking that it may be too feminine, is this the case?

Bromo, I want to try the Guerrila 2, due to the saffron note in it, is it prominent? Nomadtea in the sweet series also sounds good, but it always seems to be disliked :S
    Guerilla 1 has a saffron and pear note that is prominent on me - and smells somehow like a dirty parka near a dumpster. Guerilla 2 has a more pepper/turmeric/fruit/floral odor that smells more sicky sweet of a syrupy stain on pavement.
    In a good way.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 20th March 2008 at 07:48 PM.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Basenotes Institution

Please try:

CdG EdP (the original)
    CdG2 Man
    CdG2 White
    Calamus (of the Leaves Series)
    Any of the five Incense Series
    Any of the three Sherbet Series
    Any of the five Red Series
    Vettiveru (of the Cologne Series)
    Skai and Tar (of the Synthetic Series)

If, after having tried these, you still want to test more then try:

The Odeur's
    CdG 3
    The other two in the Cologne Series
    The other three in the Synthetic Series
    Play
    Any of the Luxe Series

Ones to avoid, IMO:

Guerilla 2
    Sticky Cake (of the Sweet Series)
    CdG 2

Wow, thanks for the great list Mike, i'll be ordering some samples soon

I'll post up what I think of each of them after testing them out !

For me, EDP and 2 are the best. Somehow they impressed me from the start and I loved them ever since. Then Insence series, especially Zagorsk, but the whole idea of using one theme and exploring such different angles... Makes me grateful. 2Man I like a lot, but since it was so close to Gucci PH, it did not excite me as much, though I like them both a lot now. Just seemed like two almost copies of each other...
    Other scents and series I also like, but these are the most dear to me.

I'll loudly second the Incense Series, though I'd rank Avignon and Jaisalmer as equal bests, followed by Kyoto. The other too are colder, but still amazing.

CDG2 Man is terrific too, but doesn't have great longevity for me.

I'll also second Tar. it smells exactly like its name initially, but dries down to a more scent-like base. Garage is also cool, but doesn't have the same heart as Tar.

Do try them all, but keep in mind there's overlap too. CGD2 Man carries some incense, and enough wood to make it compete with a couple of the Red Series.

I tried the new 888 the other day and was quite disappointed with it. My initial impression is that it's too cold and linear. I will give it at least one more proper test before writing it off completely.

I've just ordered samples of:

White
    Original
    Vettiveru and Citrico
    Kyoto, Avignion and Zargosk
    Skai and Tar
    Sequoia and Rose

I look forward to receiving them

Cinnamon Sherbet for me.

I own Avignon and love it, and have sampled the entire incense line. My only concern with that group is that there are essential oils, particularly those made by "Kuumba" (available at my local Whole Foods) which mirror each one of them. When it comes time to replace the bottle I do have, I'm not sure I will feel so sanguine about shelling out for it. Who knows.

That said, I have recently placed an order for three of the Synthetic series which in my opinion bear no resemblance to anything I've ever experienced. My vote for purely groundbreaking would be these five.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I've just ordered samples of:

White
    Original
    Vettiveru and Citrico
    Kyoto, Avignion and Zargosk
    Skai and Tar
    Sequoia and Rose

I look forward to receiving them
    That is a fantastic selection. I hope some day you get to try the Luxe Patchouli... it's really fantastic! and honestly, I don't think you should skip 2MAN... it's a must try.. I actually was sniffing fragrances at Barney's in NYC and the sales attendant (a wonderful knowledgeable woman) said that because I'd had 2MAN already, I might be well advised to spend on another line (since I'd had my sights on so many others including Serge's and L'Artisan, and Bois's, Malles, etc), since 2MAN really does seem to encapsulate the CdG aesthetic very well. I agree 100&#37;.
    Last edited by nthny; 22nd March 2008 at 02:56 PM.

nthny, I have a boutique near me that stocks 2, 2Man and 888, so i'll check those out the next time I pop in, thats why I missed out samples of those

I'm really looking forward to the Synthetic series, as i'm a big fan of stuff that isn't conventional at all

Great list, Vivek. Nthny is right, and I look forward to your reviews.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Here are some past threads about CGD. I especially recommend the last two. One is a classic IndieGuy story. The other is a long lost "Top 5 CdG" thread.
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...&highlight=CDG
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ighlight=comme

To repeat what others have said, the Incense series is beautiful. A wonderful addition to the world of fragrance. I wear Kyoto and Ouarzazate mostly. What else do I wear?

--White. Just beautiful and underrated.
    --Palisander. I am one of the few who likes this more than its brother Sequoia.
    --Odeur 53 - I used to wear this almost daily. Much more wearable if you ignore the hype and focus on the fragrance.
    Harrissa - Strange combination of hot red pepper and blood orange.

--Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Original EDP (Le Labo Rose 31 reminds me of it)
    Palisander (the rosewood in By Kilian's Straight to Heaven reminds me of Palisander)
    Sequoia - a great pine woody scent
    Rose (Red series) - a nice rose scent
    the whole incense series is worth sampling - especially: Avignon, Kyoto, & Jailsamer

I'm planning on sampling 888 and Sherbert Cinnamon

I quite like the 8 88. They should have it in the Harvey Nicks in Birmingham. I sampled it in Harvey Nicks in Leeds.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

My favorite CdG's are:

Avignon
    Kyoto
    Sequoya
    Ourazazate
    Cinnamon
    Man #2
    CdG EdP original
    White
    CdG #3
    Palisander
    Tea
    Hinoki
    Soda
    Odeur 53

I Love CdG 2 EdP and CdG 2 Man. Odeur 71 and 53 are fantastic. From the Incense Line I Love Kyoto....CdG 3 and CdG White are nice but I don't like them as much as CdG 2 EdP, CdG 2 Man, 71,53 and Kyoto.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by JanAlways View Post
    CDG2 Man is terrific too, but doesn't have great longevity for me.
    wow, cdg2 man is one of my few all-dayers. that, lddm & adp colonia really stand head and shoulders above the rest of my wardrobe as far as longevity goes.

my cdg reccomendations aren't particularly different to anyone elses, although my main interest in the house (so far) has been their wonderful production of really authentic wood notes. cdg2 man and kyoto topping my list, and i'm trying frantically to get my hands on their monocle scent. almost died when i heard about hinoki... love the magazine, love cdg... woo!
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Cince search function does not work now I can't look up a thread about 888.
    Can those who tried it post your reviews and compare it to other scents out there. I am very curious about this last CDG scent.

I'm thinking about trying out Kyoto..but wondering if it's any good for me.
    Does anyone here think anyone might take offense to it? Is the incense note too strong? I'm intrigued by all the descriptions though.

Quote Originally Posted by Limitedmichel View Post
    Does anyone here think anyone might take offense to it? Is the incense note too strong? I'm intrigued by all the descriptions though.
    It is extremely easy (and safe) to order samples (including Kyoto) of all or most of CdG from www.luckyscent.com - even for those of us who live in Europe. Give it a try if there is no place near you that carries CdG. I don't think you'll be dissappointed! I think it is very important to sample a fragrance before committing to buy a whole bottle! Don't just base your choice on the reviews.

Of the Incense Series I like Zagorsk & Avignon the best. I get pure High Mass smoke from Avignon and a very warm green smoke from Zagorsk.
    Last edited by Mikey Q; 23rd March 2008 at 10:38 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I don't imagine the incense in Kyoto would offend anyone - the incense in Kyoto specfically is very comforting/cuddly due to the sweet herbal accord and the pine. It is NOT too strong.

A strong offensive incense is Norma Kamali incense. One little tiny drop (not even a spray) will scent me for all day. Too too much.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I thought the same thing. I usually spray two times, because I just hate it when people over-apply perfumes. And one time I sprayed three times because I thought it might last longer, so it was more radiating. I got lots and lots of compliments. Try it if you like incense and wood!

I found that 2 MAN has a non-marine fresh soapy odor (like a classic Fougere?) that develops over time as the white smoke fades. Has anyone else found this to be the case?
    ===