Code of Conduct

Default Eau Sauvage: The Disappearing Act

I wore Eau Sauvage yesterday and, man, I loved it. It'd be perfect, if not for its barely-there staying power. On me, this one just about vanishes in record time. I hadn't worn it in awhile because of its lack of tenacity. Remembering that, I sprayed liberally (including on the collar of my undershirt) but still could barely smell it.

Today, I decided to wear another that's given me longevity issues, so I picked Chanel Pour Monsieur. Again, gone in no time. The vintage version, too.

Is it just me? Anybody have any secrets to keep either of these going?
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Default Re: Eau Sauvage: The Disappearing Act

I'd love to hear as well, I would love to buy Chanel Monsieur because for the thirty or so minutes it lasts it's fantastic...

Why can't Chanel make it last longer?

I remember wearing Eau Savage many many years ago. You'd put it on before you went out and by the time you'd been anywhere it had gone... grrr... shame because it smells so nice!

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't have this problem with Chanel Pour Monsieur, but Eau Sauvage does disappear quickly on my skin. I don't really have any suggestions for you except finding aftershave and other forms of the frag to help it last longer.

Eau Sauvage certainly disappears fast. I trap it by applying a good neutral moisturizer and wearing it under a t-shirt, dress shirt, suit and tie. It's not going to project, but for certain occasions such as job interviews it creates a very subtle air that may have a subliminal effect. I wonder if the extreme is any better.

Post Thanks / Like

Eau Sauvage is one of the longest lasting citruses I own and I own most of the best ones ever made. Maybe you got the reformulated stuff which I know nothing about. Vintage Chanel Pour Monsieur also lasts well. They attentuated it with more citrus and less base, and that juice still smells great but has less longevity. I can't relate at all with your perceptions of Eau Sauvage. The cumin, hedione, oakmoss etc give it excellent tenacity. Roudnitska knows how to make a fragrance.
    Last edited by pluran; 21st March 2008 at 12:57 AM.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just last Saturday I sprayed once, and a very short spray, on my forearm from a tester of Eau Sauvage at the local Sephora. It was still a powerful presence there 8 hours later. Amazing how different we can be when it comes to what we like and what lasts and doesn't last on us.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Eau Sauvage doesnt seem to last on me either...Until recently I never really appreciated it...However my repeated testing with it made me swing towards it and now I absolutely love it...The longevity however is terrible and so is the sillage.....but I just love it for the way it smells....I have a 3.4oz bottle that came in this white box....I think this surely is the reformulated version since the previous version came in a 'brown box'.....

Lately I have just been crazy about 'citrus' fragrances....YSL pour homme is another beauty that I kind of didn't really like until recently....Now I find it irresistible and have been wearing it for the last 2 days....

Chanel pour monsieur.....my bottle says 'cologne' on it...dont know if its the original 'vintage' stuff....but yeah....its great too....although I find it a little powdery.....longevity is good for this...I sprayed some in a duty free store and I still could smell it on my wrist, 18hours later.....thats not bad...

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with both fragrances is similar to many of the previous comments.

Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) is one of my all-time favorites. Normally, I can still faintly detect it the next morning - 24 hours after applying.

I was a late convert to Eau Sauvage. I just didn't get it and didn't get it. At some point my nose changed. I have come to love and appreciate this 'dirty' citrus - it truly deserves its status as a classic. Longevity is okay for a citrus - about six hours on me.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 21st March 2008 at 11:45 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

It lasts a couple of hours maybe. But I love it anyway, always have. It's a modern version of the classical Cologne - for men ! Eau Fraìche was it's feminine counterpart, with a hint of fresh florals instead of herbs - just as wonderful. Nowadays people seem to have lost the sense for this kind of non-perfume cologne. Try the ES Extreme version and Chanels PM Concentrée, which are also good but have a different feel. Malle (Ellena) also made the classical cologne: Bigarrade, and quickly people complained that it wouldn't last. It was followed by Bigarrade Concentrée, and that doesn't last that much longer either. Try Eau de Rochas Homme. It really has longevity: half a day, or more!
    Mugler's Cologne has more of a scent, and is not purely classical. But if you like those notes, it appears to be stronger than Rochas after a few hours.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Where did you manage to find the vintage version?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Golem View Post
    Where did you manage to find the vintage version?
    You did not specify which fragrance but I will assume it's Pour Monsieur.

There are two versions currently being produced by Chanel. The original Pour Monsieur and Pour Monsieur Concentree. The original is called 'vintage' or '1955' to differentiate it from the Concentree which is also marketed as Pour Monsieur (without any emphasis that it is the Concentree version).

In the US, Concentree can be found pretty much wherever Chanel products are sold. I have never seen 'Vintage' Pour Monsieur (without Concentree on the label) in a retail store here. It is available in many other countries.

I purchased my 'vintage' from an online vendor. You may want to call or stop at a Chanel boutique - they may stock it.

To me they are different scents, it was well worth my time to seek out the original.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 21st March 2008 at 12:02 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 8 year old bottle of Eau Sauvage. It's only ever lasted 2 hours on me. Others have claimed it lasted all day on them. The only way to know for sure how long it lasts on one's skin is to test it.

I also have Eau Sauvage Aftershave Splash which lasts about 20 minutes on my skin.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 21st March 2008 at 02:45 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Eau Sauvage: The Disappearing Act

With Eau Sauvage. All I can say is. "What disappearing act?" I still smell it the next day. Here's a good idea. Use scentless oil & apply that wherever you put the cologne on.

Post Thanks / Like

I wore Eau Sauvage 15 years ago and it lasted 9 or 10 hours. I bought a new bottle a year ago. Now, Eau Sauvage disappears from my skin after 3 hours. My skin isn't change but something probably is.
    I don't have any problems with Chanel pour Monsieur's (1955.) longevity (at least 15 hours).
    Last edited by peevish_yolk; 21st March 2008 at 04:38 PM.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Post Thanks / Like

I too got decent longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

doesnt last long enough for me
    John aka Easykiller

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q View Post
    I too got decent longevity.
    Me too.