Code of Conduct

Default A good question to think about

You know that question "If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it does it still make a sound?" Well, of course it does. The real question I want to impose here is this:

Is there any point in wearing a fragrance if you don't wear it loudly?

What is meant by this question is this; If you don't wear a fragrance loud enough for someone else to smell it, is there any point in wearing it at all? To wear a fragrance lightly just so you are the only one who smells or have to jam your nose into your shirt to smell it, is there a point than simply wearing none at all?

I have never been one to put much on. I have typically been a 1 spray kina guy and on rare occassion, 2 sprays max. I have discussed this in the past and claimed I would live on the edge and spray freely. The number of sprays obviously depends on the concentration of the fragrance but this thread is not about that. It is about wearing fragrance loudly vs. softly, e.g. 5 sprays of kouros or 50 sprays of Colonia. What do you think about this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A good question to think about

This can be a delicate issue. For those not aware, Canada is undergoing a complete scent ban; Halifax, a major centre has already banned all scented products (including aftershave and hair tonics) in public places and even isolated areas such as here in Newfoundland, we're seeing more and more anti-scent posters hanging around.

You try 50 sprays of anything here and you'll literally have cops pinning you down.

Post Thanks / Like

To me that question is kind of like "Is there any point to listening to music with headphones?" Maybe I use too many music analogies. Anyway, I only wear one spray and people can still smell it, just they have to be closer to me in order to do so. Which is perfectly fine with me! I'd prefer an attractive lady to think I smell good from two feet away than an attractive lady to think I smell good from across the room.
    Last edited by HughLloyd; 21st March 2008 at 02:25 AM.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

I think it's a psycholoigcal issue. Some people say everyone can smell things from far away and the subtlety weighs effects on a person's subconscience where if you have a strong fragrance it weighs more on the conscience level.

@lasta: What the hell? Is the world slowly taking our souls piece by piece? Can't do anything in public these days... though I'd wish loud mouthed people wouldn't talk on their cell phones in public while I'm having a nice chat with someone.

A bit off topic and a good issue deserving of another thread but, what is the theory/reasoning behind the ban in Canada? Why?

Scentologist!! Spray on, while we can!!! what is next???? No drinking and no talking bars in the U.S.
    I am in the 5 to 8 sprays club and so far so good, always a lot of compliments... Good Luck and spray on!

I think personality types have a lot to do with it. Shy/introverted types might prefer one spray or nothing at all, while outgoing/extroverts spray more.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Good question. My opinion is that a scent should be a shared experience. Does not mean that people in the park should smell it, but applying so that nobody could notice does not make sense to me. So the perfect application is somewhere in between.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    This can be a delicate issue. For those not aware, Canada is undergoing a complete scent ban; Halifax, a major centre has already banned all scented products (including aftershave and hair tonics) in public places and even isolated areas such as here in Newfoundland, we're seeing more and more anti-scent posters hanging around.

You try 50 sprays of anything here and you'll literally have cops pinning you down.
    Fight the power!! Nine sprays, minimum!

Seriously though, I've heard about this, but haven't really seen anything of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Is there any point in wearing a fragrance if you don't wear it loudly?

What is meant by this question is this; If you don't wear a fragrance loud enough for someone else to smell it, is there any point in wearing it at all?
    Speaking for myself, yes - because I wear frags because I like to smell the scents...not to share the experience with the rest of the world. Speaking to the "attracting others" side of the equation...I let 'who I am' address that.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes, I like to wear a little of a fragrance, just for me, and sometimes, when I feel pissed off, I can get a bottle and empty it all over myself, it all depends on my mood really, and I can justify both

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you only listen to music when someone else is around? Only read for pleasure in the company of others? Wear nice clothing only for others to see? Wearing scent is pleasurable both when I am alone and when I am with others.

I absolutely enjoy wearing fragrance. I consider it one of life's great pleasures and a gift to be enjoyed..and shared with others. But there is a line that can be easily cross by over-appllication, one that will annoy normally scent tolerant folks as well as those who can't stand anyone wearing frags. Where that line is takes common sense to recognize and depends on the persons who will smell your fragrance and the space you are in with them, the amount you put on and when you put it on, and the fragrance itself.

YSL Kouros, for example, if you smell as though you just swam through a river of it, can be a put-off to me. But when I wear it (in appropriate moderation) is a wonderful experience for me, and others I would hope. Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte on the other hand, seems to require many more spritzes on me to be strong enough for me and others notice and it calls for constant replenishing to maintain that localized slight sillage.

I have personally been slightly irritated to have to put up with what I considered gross and inappropriate over-application of scent (both 'good' and 'bad' fragrances) for the event/space by someone sitting next to me at restaurants and theaters, where I was sort of a 'captive' for the duration, much like being close to a heavy smoker in those days when smoking in confined public places was allowed. Oh sure, I could have asked to have been moved to another seat/table, but the annoyance level was never high enough to cause a move by my party that included others seemingly oblivious to it.
    Last edited by kbe; 21st March 2008 at 02:31 PM.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

I personally am a relatively light applier of fragrances. I want someone I greet or hug, someone I dance with, to smell what I am wearing, not half the people in the room. I find it annoying when someone gets on the bus and immediately dominates the space with their own fragrance selection. It can be just as bad as if they haven't washed for weeks or if they are playing a loud boombox.
    BUT, can we all agree that laws governing the use of fragrance are completely wrongheaded? I happen to be allergic to certain kinds of seafood and even the smell of said seafood sometimes makes me queasy. Does this mean that reataurants or street vendors should be prohibited from cooking it? NO WAY!
    By the way, has anyone noticed that this movement seems to be centered in relatively remote areas where life centers around outdoor activities and where, I assume, the wearing of fragrance is not quite as common as in more urban cultural centers?

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HughLloyd View Post
    To me that question is kind of like "Is there any point to listening to music with headphones?" Maybe I use too many music analogies. Anyway, I only wear one spray and people can still smell it, just they have to be closer to me in order to do so. Which is perfectly fine with me! I'd prefer an attractive lady to think I smell good from two feet away than an attractive lady to think I smell good from across the room.
    Exactly. The point is to wear a fragrance because I enjoy it. If someone else enjoys it too, then all the better. I never wear more than two sprays of any cologne.

Post Thanks / Like

Where I work there's a guy who wears so much fragrance that you always know if he's close by, or if he's been in a room....the trail is left everywhere he goes. If you're right next to him, it assaults you. To make matters worse, the fragrance itself is awful. Wearing that much is just obnoxious IMO.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good topic and something I feel strongly about.

Scent, to me, is intimate and something for me to enjoy and the people that I choose to let near me enjoy. IMO, someone who wreaks of anything is only saying, "I'm obnoxious, inconsiderate, have the trappings of power but no real power, and wish to announce it."

Here's why I feel strongly about it. With a well-made, high quality scent, this might not be a problem. But not everyone uses quality scents. People use knock-offs, Axe, stuff that doesn't work with their body chemistry, etc. and they tend to use a lot of it. That junk gives me headaches. It affects other people more strongly - some people have allergic reactions, others with breathing difficulties (asthma, bronchitis) can be very strongly affected, and it just stinks.

It's just as bad when the quality scents get mixed. It's nearly sickening to be in a conference room of overscented men with different frags: Tauer's Lonestar Memories, Guerlain Vetiver, Floris' JF, Penhaligon's Opus 1870, and some strong musk combines into a soup that made my eyes water (all nice scents that I like individually). If the frag had been lightly applied, it wouldn't have been an issue.

Fragrance is another way of being in the world and, with it, comes the responsibility of being in a community.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: A good question to think about

Do this,don't do that! Is there no end? When does one's right interfere with another's, and who makes that distinction? More, and more we are becoming like so many pawn's being moved on a board on a whim. So I guess we in the end do what we think is right for us, and live our lives the best we can. I think we ALL need to realize that all any of us are doing, is trying to make it through this thing called life the best way we can. There are many bigger issues that need to be addressed.Me I'm sprayin away.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Post Thanks / Like

No more than two sprays for me. I work closely with people and find that to be the perfect amount for drawing people in for a whiff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good question but the analogy needs some work. No one is around to hear the tree, it makes a sound, but none the less no one is there to perceive it. On the other hand...the wearer is around to smell the scent he or she wears! I like to smell good and not my bo. I apply sparingly most of the time unless I'm going out then I'll apply a bit more So yes, I think it is perfectly fine to wear fragrance even if the wearer is the only one who can smell it.
    Last edited by reneirwold878; 21st March 2008 at 03:12 PM.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

The fragrances give us two possibilities:
    - to have a personal enjoyment
    - to attract ones attention
    We MAY use the second possibility (10 sprays) or NOT (1 spray).
    I guess it is a question of the character, occasion and mood
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I absolutely enjoy wearing fragrance. I consider it one of life's great pleasures and a gift to be enjoyed..and shared with others. But there is a line that can be easily cross by over-appllication, one that will annoy normally scent tolerant folks as well as those who can't stand anyone wearing frags. Where that line is takes common sense to recognize and depends on the persons who will smell your fragrance and the space you are in with them, the amount you put on and when you put it on, and the fragrance itself.
    Completely agreed.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

90 % of the time I will wear fragrance for me.
    10% of the time I will wear fragrance for someone (mostly GF to smell me).

I actually spray more liberally when I am alone.
    Same goes for watches:
    Do I buy an authomatic watch just to show it to everybody? No, most of times no one else is going to notice the queality of it anyway.
    Do I use a straight razor beacuse other will think I am tougher shaving taht way? No. You would not belive how liberating it is when you stop using stuff for others to appreciate.

"If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it does it still make a sound?" Reffers to the abstract definition of stuff. What really is sound?
    If a perfumer makes a mixture of piss, sweat, and skunk oudor would you call it a perfume? (Someone would answer "Yes, it is called [insert your mosted hated fragrance here], and it is actually selling very well"). Is it wrong to mastubate on your office even if no one is seeing? that kind of stuff.
    Last edited by irish; 21st March 2008 at 04:33 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm for moderation in all things, which implies not being doctrinaire about anything, including moderation! (A little self-referential paradox play there!)

To link any closed (internally consistent) system to the universe of the real world, you must build at least one exception or inconsistency into the system, so that it has a point of contact to the rest of reality. (Gödel knew this in spades.) I have therefore chosen to be moderate in all things, except in the acquisition and wearing of scents.

(My tongue is only partly in my cheek!)
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Q View Post
    Speaking for myself, yes - because I wear frags because I like to smell the scents...not to share the experience with the rest of the world. Speaking to the "attracting others" side of the equation...I let 'who I am' address that.
    A subtle point I made about having to bury your face in your shirt to smell it,....is it worth it then or do you feel it should be loud enough to be at your attention? Of course, I just opened the door to discuss nose fatigue which I prefer to leave out of this debate.

Edit: I was just in a car dealership to have my oil changes. I have changed my own oil for numerous years but my opportunity cost demands that I no longer spend the time on it. Anyway, I have been in and out of dealerships my entire adult life. Car salesman have a certain sterotype if you will. One thing remains constant, I have never walked into a dealership where I did not experience car salesman with slick hair, sporting 2 lbs. of gold jewelery, and above all, weaing the most loud fragrance they could bathe in that morning.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 21st March 2008 at 04:42 PM.

I wear enough to enable me enjoy the fragrance. While I want my fragrance to speak to those who come close enough to me, I don't want it to announce my entry or to trail far behind me.

Visting a musuem a few months ago I had the misfortune of being there at the same time as a man who had emptied a full bottle of fragrance on his head and let it drip all over his body. That fragrance, whatever it was, hung in the air in all the rooms of the vast museum. If I needed a reminder not to overapply my fragrances, and thereby become a nuisance to those around me, that was it. I'd never forget that experience.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Do this,don't do that! Is there no end? When does one's right interfere with another's, and who makes that distinction? More, and more we are becoming like so many pawn's being moved on a board on a whim. So I guess we in the end do what we think is right for us, and live our lives the best we can. I think we ALL need to realize that all any of us are doing, is trying to make it through this thing called life the best way we can. There are many bigger issues that need to be addressed.Me I'm sprayin away.

Big issues can almost always be broken down into an accumulation of smaller, contributing issues and as such that can be addressed individually or in small groups at appropriate levels. To address only larger issues and give the smaller ones a pass somehow misses the point IMO
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I think it does make sense applying a fragrance when only you can detect it. At some days I want to spray to be detected, at others I spray to enjoy it just by myself when I get whiffs of the scent every now and then. For me, the mood for the day decides everything. What I'm wearing (if any), and the number of sprays. Spraying before going to sleep is an example of wearing something to enjoy it just by yourself, and at this situation there is no point spraying more than one spray to the neck.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 22nd March 2008 at 10:07 PM.