Code of Conduct

Default Incense rosé by Tauer

We are down to a few more days until the release of this guys. My sample is at its final drops and i cant wait until this gets released. From speaking to LUCKYSCENT, they stated that will be shipping the 27th so that we will get it on the 28th for the people who pre-ordered it.

Has anyone had more time with this. It really does keep getting better each time i wear it. Absolutely a stunning scent. Who is going to meet him at Luckyscent.

Default Re: Incense rosé by Tauer

I have been rationing my sample since I got it. The initial blast of frankincense was a delight and a surprise and I agree that it gets better. It is fascinating how it blooms into a rich, spicy and opulent rose. This is an interesting interpretation of rose that has considerable sillage and longevity - bravo Mr Tauer!
    Last edited by orchid74; 21st March 2008 at 09:45 AM.

I think this is a piece of work that is that of similar heights to his famous L'Air, can't wait to try it out

Sounds good, and I love both Incense & Rose, but I didn't like his LDDM and LM, so I don't think I'll enjoy this one. I'm giving his Incense Extreme (sample coming in the mail) a try to give the house one last shot. I'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 21st March 2008 at 09:43 AM.

Nice to see that Lucky Scent has recently added IR to their sampling list!!!

I think it a bit unfair to compare LDDM with Incense Rosé. I am sampling IR and feel it a vastly different scent in terms of composition to LDDM, but a similar scent in terms of its quality. There is definitely Tauer's fingerprint on this one. Its really very unique with some fantastic dramatic contrasts between the tangy floral/citrus accords and the deep resinous woods and spices.

Basenotes Institution

I'm really interested to try this, it's getting such good reviews from a lot of people online (here and elsewhere) that I respect.

I couldn't make it this weekend to LA (like I wanted to) but next week I will be at Scent Bar to test it in person.

I spoke to supermarky and he's going to be there.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I think it a bit unfair to compare LDDM with Incense Rosé. I am sampling IR and feel it a vastly different scent in terms of composition to LDDM, but a similar scent in terms of its quality. There is definitely Tauer's fingerprint on this one. Its really very unique with some fantastic dramatic contrasts between the tangy floral/citrus accords and the deep resinous woods and spices.
    I happen to love LDDM and LM but I can see how some may not like them but Dimitri's mention of Tauer's quality is the ticket IMO. His scents are potent, have sillage, last forever on my skin and are just very high quality to me. I'm really looking forward to Incense Rose and I'm gonna break my $30 blind purchase limit and take a chance.

Eric

My Incense Rose samples arrived later today - from a different source (Aus Liebe zum Duft)

My second experience with IR was somewhat different from the first. Hency my re-editing here. In the opening, there is a beautiful soft "wet" or "dewey" rose note mingling with the cedar and incense. I don't know why it didn't strike me as particularly rosey on the first wearing. The rose note on the second wearing seemed so authentic - like a newly opened rose after the rain. There is an incense note in there which is reminiscent of CdG Avignon. I would probably say that this type of incense is different from the incense in Incense Extreme which seemed to be woodier (and

As the scent moves on toward the drydown there is a part of it that emerges which bears a kinship to L'Air du Desert Marocain giving it that "dry sandy air feel" - almost like a Tauer "signature" on the scent. Absolutely worth testing. I ordered one after this second wearing!
    Last edited by Delmar; 30th March 2008 at 07:35 PM.

If I own both Domenico Caraceni and L'Air du Desert Marocain, do I need Incense Rose?
    I haven't sampled it yet, but is it distinct enough from these two to warrant owning?

My left hand has a death grip on my right wrist to prevent it from reaching my wallet....

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    If I own both Domenico Caraceni and L'Air du Desert Marocain, do I need Incense Rose?
    I haven't sampled it yet, but is it distinct enough from these two to warrant owning?
    I'd say the difference between the three are sufficient enough to at least take the time to sample the Incense Rosé before buying it.
    DC is lush with roses and crisp with neroli, LDDM glows with desert heat and dryness, and IR swims with tangy citrus/florals swirling in husky myrrh and frankincense.

Bump!
    I'd love to hear any recent impressions people have as they live with this one. Does it still interest you as the newness of it wears off? Will it find a prominent place in your rotation? Anyone tempted to compare it to L'Air, that wonder of invention and wearability? How sweet is it? Thanks.
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 3rd April 2008 at 01:16 AM.

Strolly, I find now after a couple of weeks of occasional application that I prefer the transitory notes and dry-down more than the opening. As I mentioned in another thread, there is a tangy fruitiness that is ALMOST like the "rotting fruits" accord some have said they detect in Angel/A*men, (although I wouldn't say it is at all unpleasant). This is more pungent in the opening (along with the striking rich rose), but after some time it settles nicely between the husky incense accords. There is a puff of the beautiful dryness present in LDDM that peers through on the very odd occasion that makes one swoon.
    It is very wearable, though right now I am still enraptured with my L'air and thus wont look at purchasing RI for a while yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I'd say the difference between the three are sufficient enough to at least take the time to sample the Incense Rosé before buying it.
    DC is lush with roses and crisp with neroli, LDDM glows with desert heat and dryness, and IR swims with tangy citrus/florals swirling in husky myrrh and frankincense.

Incense Rose is distinct for sure, nothing remotely close. I like Andy and the creative work he does by pushing the envelope and covering new gound where others have not gone or dare to go for that matter.
    My sample was was not a decant, it was a Tauer sample I think a 1.5 ml spray. It didn't work that well for me. I sprayed some on my Wife and with in an hour she had to go take a shower because she was becoming nauseous from the scent and potency. She said" Incense Rose was the strongest, worst smelling perfume she has ever tried."

I don't believe for a minute it will be like that for everyone, just that this one is so different and strong it falls into the category of love or hate, not just so so.

I have been wearing a sample for a couple of days. I think it is unique and striking, but for me not really wearable. I get a sour red wine feel from it, but every now and then, I get a wiff of LDDM influence and I love it. Hence, if the only time it makes me swoon is when I catch a glimpse of the LDDM similarity, why not just wear my LDDM.

Again, Incense Rose is very interesting and I appreciate, as always, the artistic vision of Andy's creations. I just don't find it something that I would reach for and wear. It is not a scent I would want associated with me as a memory by others. I think a small decant of it is what I need so that every now and then I can appreciate this dark red 'oil on canvas' that comes in a bottle.

I wonder if there's a difference in the way IR develops on male vs. female skin. My husband gets that red wine feel, while on me it never turns sour. I agree about a LDDM similarity somewhere in the drydown, but then the myrrh makes an appearance and takes it elsewhere.

I stand behind my original review (written after going through nearly two full samples):
    http://thenonblonde.blogspot.com/200...cense-ros.html

I love this scent. I ordered it off first sample and received the full bottle last week. It is such an amazing scent in the way that it burst with a bright Clementine note that lingers throughout the whole composition but at the same time, you can sense the changes in the notes working behind the Clementine. What i mean is that it almost seems to have two layers to me. The Clementine lasts and lasts in the front while the background is working and changing as the dry down goes to that signature Tauer base which is amazing. I really love this one because it is so unique. There is nothing like it on the market. To me, it works both day and night and winter and summer.
    Last edited by cairomerta; 3rd April 2008 at 03:53 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I smelled this at Scent Bar last weekend.

I must agree with jock_with_scents about the sour mulled wine note - I thought it was me, but then when I read this...well, that's exactly how it came off to my nose. I found it extremely resinous (tree sap?) and barely rose prominent at all - which coincidentally is exactly what scentsual mentions above, at the first time he sampled it. So, maybe I need to sample it a second time?

The base notes were very reminiscent of Incense Extreme (or Orris for that matter) and I admired it's longevity on my arm...but for now I am disappointed.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th April 2008 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I must agree with jock_with_scents about the sour mulled wine note - I thought it was me, but then when I read this...well, that's exactly how it came off to my nose. I found it extremely resinous (tree sap?) and barely rose prominent at all - which coincidentally is exactly what scentsual mentions above, at the first time he sampled it. The base notes were very reminiscent of Incense Extreme (or Orris for that matter) and I admired it's longevity on my arm...but for now I am disappointed.
    Now, I have to say up front that incense fragrances really make me nauseous and Incense Rose is no exception. But, it's the rose note mixed with the incense note that gives IR what you are calling, "the sour, mulled wine note."
    I'm sitting here with CdG Zagorsk, side by side, with IR and sniffing it in tandem with IR, I find that the rose note becomes through as plain as day.
    I'm actually loving IR as it reminds me of the dank interior of a church in Naples on a hot summer's day. But, at the same time, it's as awful as Amariage.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th April 2008 at 05:05 AM.

The right hand won....

Got a bottle coming.
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

I have a small sprayer of it.. I can absolutely say that I LOVE the scent. I can also say that at the same time, it doesn't make me want to rush to buy it.. I can't explain it. Maybe it just doesn't have the special something that makes you have to have something. Who knows. I do enjoy it a lot though I just think there are better in the genre for me. One other fault... I get crap longevity.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    [...] I get a sour red wine feel from it, but every now and then, I get a wiff of LDDM influence and I love it. Hence, if the only time it makes me swoon is when I catch a glimpse of the LDDM similarity, why not just wear my LDDM.

Again, Incense Rose is very interesting and I appreciate, as always, the artistic vision of Andy's creations. I just don't find it something that I would reach for and wear. It is not a scent I would want associated with me as a memory by others. I think a small decant of it is what I need so that every now and then I can appreciate this dark red 'oil on canvas' that comes in a bottle.
    When I put a sample on me - I get the impressions of WET, cinnamon, and rose-spiced potpourri - actually much like Midwestern Potpourri baskets that were popular in the 1980's and 90's when people decorated in "American Country" (Popular to this day, actually) with faux butter churns, overly distressed spinning wheels, tole painting and stenciled kitchens. Smell associations are not in short supply for me on this one - and if these memories were pleasant for me I might consider - but this one won't work for me as the melange of spices activate the "this is potpourri" in my brain. For the record I was born and raised there, so this association is not of a coastal person looking in the middle and judging, this is an adult looking back to his childhood, the powerlessness in those tense Thanksgivings, and the associations of aunts, uncles, teachers, and friends families.

Sometimes I apply a fragrance before stepping in the shower "just to see" and this morning it was no different, except when I dried off, I noticed the washed frag was more or less exactly LDDM's basenotes. Sometimes I get the basenotes form this sort of exercise, so I think Andy used his LDDM base accords and then added new top notes and possibly new heart notes.

I appreciate the fragrance and its construction (Andy really is amazingly good), very much, but I cannot get past what I associate with potpourri...

I think Andy wins anyway in my book because I will buy LDDM when my frag budget gets refilled, just this one isn't for me!
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 23rd April 2008 at 01:19 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I have a small sprayer of it.. I can absolutely say that I LOVE the scent. I can also say that at the same time, it doesn't make me want to rush to buy it.. I can't explain it. Maybe it just doesn't have the special something that makes you have to have something. Who knows. I do enjoy it a lot though
    That's how I feel about Czech & Speake #88, which I believe to be a masterpiece. C&S's combination of rose and incense is so perfect and rounded, its like an ideal sphere. Unfortunately, I want at least one sharp angle somewhere in the middle notes of my heavier frags. If the price were half of what it is, this quible wouldn't keep my from buying #88. At the $100+ price point, a frag must appear to be custom made to my every idiosyncracy, and C&S fails that test.
    Last edited by studdg; 23rd April 2008 at 06:02 PM.

Basenotes Institution

OK - so I gave Incense Rose a full wearing today, thanks cairomerta. Last time I smelled it at Scent Bar it left me extremely uninterested.

Today, it was MUCH more vibrant, alive and complex on my skin. I'm gonna give it another full wearing before I give it a proper review. For now, I immediately got a comparison to Orris by Tauer (the discontinued one). Not the extreme iris pronounced note in Orris, but the dark, shadowy top notes. The incense came on extremely strong to my nose, and IMO over powered the rose. I was left feeling after a couple hours that I wished the rose had been more tenacious. By that time, the now famous Tauer-ade was in full force on my skin and since I love this accord, I warmed to it. But, these days I've been craving rose scents and somehow IR just didn't scratch that itch today. Wonder if it will next time?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 27th June 2008 at 01:30 AM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I actually gave my sample sprayer to my girlfriend and I like it MUCH better on her.. and she loves it. She really loves earthier, incense rich scents so this fits the bill. I doubt I ever would have bought a bottle for myself, but it's pretty likely she'll find one with a bow on it soon

Basenotes Institution

Tested this for the 3rd time tonight.

I think my skin eats the rose, because all I get is incense (very resinous incense) and that orris-like Tauer 'base'. The fruit/spice/incense accord is nice, but I'm not bowled over by it.

Basenotes Plus

I adore this scent.

During the summer I'd daubed a little bit from a sample whilst I drove from NJ to Fl. I found the scent calming and wore it often during the two days on the road.

After the holiday, I hunted down a bottle of my own.

On my skin the rose is warm & melts into the frankincense. Even though the scent is "spicy", it's not a jaring, overly energizing kind of spicy. Instead, this is a steady heartbeat, soothing kind of scent.

Definitely one to try on your own skin before purchasing.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Someone mentioned "spicy rose". How does it compare to Rose Poivree?

Thanks

This is completely different than Rose Poivrée. RP is heavy with cumin and a brighter rose, whereas IR is sort of like LDDM with an incense rich rose brightening the composition. I ended up buying my girlfriend a bottle and it's by far her favorite that I've gotten her. It's really grown on me! I never could wrap myself around RP.. I sampled it and enjoyed it, but once I bought a bottle it just didn't do it for me and I had to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    Someone mentioned "spicy rose". How does it compare to Rose Poivree?

Thanks

To me Incense Rosé is a "thick", sweet and incensey fragrance, while Rose Poivree is lighter, dirtier and in a way brighter. I have a hard time picking out spice in either of them. I think they are very different.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    This is completely different than Rose Poivrée. RP is heavy with cumin and a brighter rose, whereas IR is sort of like LDDM with an incense rich rose brightening the composition. I ended up buying my girlfriend a bottle and it's by far her favorite that I've gotten her. It's really grown on me! I never could wrap myself around RP.. I sampled it and enjoyed it, but once I bought a bottle it just didn't do it for me and I had to sell it.
    Can´t agree more. Buy my bottle.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

I have a sample of LDDM. Didn't pick up the rose. I didn't pick up the rose in Penhaligons Hammam Bouquet either. I will try LDDM again.

BTW Is there a similarity between the rose in Hammam Bouquet and IR? I realize I can just get a sample so I apologize for the 50 questions.

I loved my sample of Rose Poivree but given the price I will be looking for another rose frag.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Tested this for the 3rd time tonight.

I think my skin eats the rose, because all I get is incense (very resinous incense) and that orris-like Tauer 'base'. The fruit/spice/incense accord is nice, but I'm not bowled over by it.

Well - I become to love it more and more. My skin doesn't eat the rose. First it makes a Turkish Delight from it turning it into a rose scented jelly candy.

Funny enough that sweetened spicy rose on my skin mostly becomes unpleasant. It happens with Le Maroc Pour Elle and also with Noir Epice (Malle). But not with Incense Rose and I think also not with Rose Chypres (Knowing, Rose de Nuit - but I don't wear them).
    Anais Nin: "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
    Link to my perfumery blog: http://aromax-on-line.blogspot.com/