Code of Conduct

Thread: Frederic Malle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frederic Malle

I'm thinking of ordering a 5 scent sampler pack from The Perfumed Court and need your opinions... each of the samples are 0.5 ml, and the choices are:

Angelique Sous La Pluie
    Bigarade Concentree
    Carnal Flower
    Cologne Bigarade
    En Passant
    French Lover
    Iris Poudre
    L'Eau d'Hiver
    Le Parfum de Therese
    Lipstick Rose
    Lys Mediterannee
    Noir Epices
    Outrageous
    Une Fleur de Cassie
    Une Rose

Note that I didn't include Musc Ravager EDP and Vetiver Extraordinaire because those two are the reason I'm getting the pack in the first place. So IN ADDITION to those two, which three of the above do you recommend? Being a total newbie to FM, and since the Basenotes directory is down, I can't tell what's what at this time. I've been a Creed guy for a while now and have decided to move on to other stuff. Creed scents I enjoy are-
    1. MI
    2. Original Vetiver
    3. Bois du Portugal
    4. GIT
    I generally like "fresh" colognes as opposed to tobacco or leathery or oriental/spicy... with BdP being the rare exception. I'm not a big fan of florals if they're the main part of the fragrance.

Thanks for the help in advance... the recommendations on this forum from all of you have not failed me yet.
    Last edited by akshay03; 21st March 2008 at 03:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Frederic Malle

Musc Ravageur isn't fresh, neither is Vetiver Extraordinaire really! For lighter stuff, try Cologne Bigarade, Angeliques Sous La Pluie is at first, a bit sharp with slight spice, but dries down babypowder like and soft and musky, I think you may like that! En Passant is a soft aquatic floral, how about giving that a shot

Post Thanks / Like

Based on how you describe your tastes I recomend you try:

Angelique Sous la Pluie
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    En Passant
    French Lover / Bois d' Orage
    Cologne Bigarade

they are all good!

Post Thanks / Like

I would second Buzzlepuff's selection of "French Lover/ Bois d'Orage" - it is a remarkably fresh scent, dry as a bone and unapologetically masculine (though it isn't a bully the way Yatagan is - really totally different scents).
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Musc Ravageur isn't fresh, neither is Vetiver Extraordinaire really! For lighter stuff, try Cologne Bigarade, Angeliques Sous La Pluie is at first, a bit sharp with slight spice, but dries down babypowder like and soft and musky, I think you may like that! En Passant is a soft aquatic floral, how about giving that a shot
    Yes, but I figure since everyone raves about them here on BN, might as well give them a try. BdP didn't fit my tastes either, but upon giving it a try I loved it! I'm hoping the same goes for Musc Ravageur.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Post Thanks / Like

Btw Akshay, FM send out up to 3 2ml samples for free to anywhere in the world, just contact them on their site - Better than paying for them

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Vivek - try going to the online questionnaire at the Malle website, it should get you atleast a couple samples of their fragrances. Once you know which ones you're getting free, you can buy the rest.

My recommendations:

Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Musc Ravageur
    Bigarade Concentree
    Noir Epices
    French Lover

Post Thanks / Like

If you tend toward masculine frags and away frpm florals, the only 2 I'd recommend (in addition to MR and VE which you've already identified) would be French Lover and Outrageous. (The Bigarades would fit the bill too but I find them a bit plain for such expensive fragrances - may as well just buy Hermes EDOV cheaply).
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I suggest any three out of these five:
    Angelique Sous La Pluie
    Bigarade Concentree
    En Passant
    L'Eau d'Hiver
    Noir Epices

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Btw Akshay, FM send out up to 3 2ml samples for free to anywhere in the world, just contact them on their site - Better than paying for them
    I'm afraid they don't - well, not to those who reside in London (because of Les Senteurs).
    Last edited by Trebor; 21st March 2008 at 07:09 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would choose Angéliques sous la Pluie, L'Eau d'Hiver, and Une Fleur de Cassie. A runner-up would be Noir Épices.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Frederic Malle

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I'm afraid they don't - well, not to those who reside in London (because of Les Senteurs).
    Ah, bummer, and Les S charge £2.50 per sample (not if you go pickup, and I suppose that's what they want you to do)

Tiphanie, at the Avenue Victor-Hugo store sorts out samples and stuff, and if you just call her up, she's very understanding! I explained that I hadn't received the samples that I had been told would be sent out, and she said she's just sent out another set, with a couple of extras ! I'm sure if you like said you live like 1 hour away (which can sometimes be the case, with London, if you factor in the traffic!) I think she'd send some out

Thumbs up Re: Frederic Malle

I like Musc Ravagar & French Lover.(Tried samples)

Another vote for Angelique Sous La Pluie, I love this scent (though I think it leans towards the feminine side of the spectrum)