Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfume Storage

Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: Frag storage and light exposure

My apologies ladies, i looked for this thread yesterday and couldnt find it. An esky is, as others said, a portable cooler box with a handle. It is usually used for beer and any other drink you wish to keep cool and ice is placed inside also . Usually found at cricket and football matches or at the family bbq. Mine is made of foam and it suits the purpose perfectly . I apologise once again for not getting back a bit quicker.

Question Ideal storage conditions

I usually store all my frags in their boxes, in a cupboard. The room is usually reasonably cool, and never more than room temperature.

I was considering buying a fridge to store them in, and was wondering if this is necessary, or preferable, and at what temperature they should be kept.

Chris

Default Re: Ideal storage conditions

I keep mine about the same, in cupboard on an interior wall. I've never had a problem with scents spoiling.

Default Re: Ideal storage conditions

Keeping your fragrances in boxes at room temperature should be just fine. No fridge neseccary.

Default Storage

Where or how do you store your perfumes or colognes?

I get rid of the boxes as soon as I get the cologne. And for storage I use wooden cigar boxes.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Storage

In the fridge. I decant into 5 ml spray bottles and keep the decants in my dresser drawer. The fragrances last longer this way and I can easily take along my decant of the day to refresh all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    In the fridge. I decant into 5 ml spray bottles and keep the decants in my dresser drawer. The fragrances last longer this way and I can easily take along my decant of the day to refresh all day long.
    That sounds complicated to me...

The fridge is complicated. Decanting is even worse because it can get messy and it opens the bottle up to air exposure.

The easiest, most simple way to store your bottles is by keeping them out of sunlight, away from heat, and away from extreme variations in temperature. The sunlight reacts with the chemicals, as does the heat, breaking down the original intent of the smell, thus causing a variation or alteration in the smell of the particular bottle.

Follow those 3 steps and you'll be fine.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I actually have no problem with the decanting-- I spray into the 5 ml bottle using a little funnel. The original bottle isn't opened up because it's a spray. Doesn't take long, and I don't have to do it very often-- I have enough scents that I don't refill so very often.

I find if I keep the original bottles at room temperature (even in my drawer where it's dark) they 'turn' long before the bottle is used up. A number of my favorite fragrances are discontinued, so I want to be able to use the fragrance in the original bottles to the last drop!

If a 5ml decant bottle gets used up too fast, one could use a larger one.

I also store my perfumes in a wooden box and keep the box in cool, dry place where it's not exposed to the sun.

I heard to use dark woods rather than the treated timber ones.

Default Perfume Storage

Good day to everyone. Newbie here.

I'm curious if the refrigerator is best place to store perfumes. I live in the Philippines (tropics) and I just thought that putting the bottles in the room wouldn't be good since the temperature would be, most of the time, warm.

Thank you for reading this and I hope to get replies soon.

cebuboy

Default Re: Perfume Storage

I presume it would, but if it's mainly designer fragrances that you've got, then I wouldn't worry too much, as most practically never turn

Blog Entries

Obviously, leaving it in a drawer or closet doesn't work since it's hot and humid. So yes, a fridge would be a good choice. Try the search function for "storage" there should be quite a few threads out and a lot of them contain information about fridge settings. I personally don't use a fridge so I cannot tell you how to store them in it.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Get a special fridge where you can keep the temp around 50 degrees as it is optimal.

I use a wine cooler for my precious fragrances....and I love it, especially on a hot day, it feels great to spray cool juice all over yourself.

Thank you guys for the information.

I really don't have that much of a collection so I guess our regular refrigerator would do.

Thanks, again.

Blog Entries

Be careful what you put in there. Some people have said that some of their scents have "turned" or gotten worse after putting them in the fridge. So if possible try it with a little decant and see how the smell changes...or in your case lack of change is what you're looking for.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Dry, cool, dark place void of sunlight. Don't listen to the refridgerator theroists.

The Osmotheque is Versailles houses the largest collection of rare perfumes in the world. Jean Kerleo and his staff (including many top scientists) spent several years determining the optimum storage conditions for various fragrances. They maintain most of the perfumes at 50 f, for pure citruses it's 40 f. If you care about your collection, or if it's worth a lot of money (mine is worth in excess of $35,000), then I suggest you keep them in a wine refrigerator with humidity control. Perfumes can last well over fifty years, or they can die fast, especially those made with a higher percentage of natural ingredients. A "cool, dark, dry place" sounds good, but I've seen it fail drastically numerous times, so I'll stick with my wine refrigerator "theory" which has never failed. Wine refrigerators can be acquired pretty cheaply online. There are many to choose from and you don't need anything fancy.
    Last edited by pluran; 26th March 2008 at 07:11 AM.

pluran, thank you very much for that information, it has been an issue of concern for me as my collection grows. It has only been the last year or so that I've become fascinated with with the incredibly wide range of fragrances, due entirely to my stumbling across Basenotes website. My thanks go out to you as well, for all your reviews that I use as a reference ( along with foetidus's) before any new purchase. Now that my collection is increasing at an (almost) alarming rate I should take the steps necessary to ensure they last. I do keep them in a cool, dark area, I now know that may not be sufficient. Thanks again for everything.

Best Wishes,
    Jeff C.

my M by mimmina turned, even in a relatively stable dry place, so im looking at getting another wine cellar, I already have a wine cellar unit but then again those bottles cost just a little bit more than creed bottles so I don't want to risk contaminating my vintages with the smell of cologne..

I use a large plastic cooler, but the house never gets really warm. I like the cooler because light doesn't penetrate it, until I take the lid off to get one out, of course.

Default Can fragrances be stored in a freezer?

I've been keeping plastic, 30ml bottles of Eau d'Orange Vert in the freezer to splash on my face when I come in from the Texas heat. This got me thinking that there are a couple other fragrances that might be nice experienced ice-cold.

Will storing fragrances in the freezer damage them? If stored cold, would it damage them to later store them at room temp?

Any advice would be great... thanks!

Default Re: Can fragrances be stored in a freezer?

Wouldn't the freezer actually make the juice inside, all frozen and icy.??? and then how would you get your dear old smellie out??
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

Quote Originally Posted by deadhacker View Post
    Wouldn't the freezer actually make the juice inside, all frozen and icy.??? and then how would you get your dear old smellie out??
    There's enough alcohol content that it doesn't ice up at freezer temperature (at least the EdOV doesn't)

A traditional freezer can cause some damage in the long term due to the regular temperature fluctuations. I don't know how much more harmful this is than storing them at a constant room temperature, but it's something to keep in mind.

Do you put your wine also into the freezer?
    All my niche scents are not in the freezer.
    They have to develop like wine.
    Maybe you can put some designer scents into freezer!

Quote Originally Posted by P-Natra View Post
    Do you put your wine also into the freezer?
    All my niche scents are not in the freezer.
    They have to develop like wine.
    Maybe you can put some designer scents into freezer!
    I don't keep wine in the freezer, but I don't spray it on my skin, either... and to be clear, I was asking with a couple inexpensive, summer fragrances in mind (like EdOV) that would be nice if applied cold after being in the 100F+ heat. I wasn't considering putting my collection in the icebox

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    A traditional freezer can cause some damage in the long term due to the regular temperature fluctuations. I don't know how much more harmful this is than storing them at a constant room temperature, but it's something to keep in mind.
    Thanks for your input!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Can you give a specific example of the sort of freezer damage you're talking about? I can't see cold temperatures doing anything more than causing some of the heavier essential oils to temporarily congeal, which is a reversible physical reaction (not chemical). There is an outside chance that a seal inside the bottle could be loosened by temperature fluctuations, but this is a physical reaction too, and does not chemically impact the fragrance. Just a word of warning: There is a huge amount of non-scientific misinformation out there about the storage of fragrances (e.g. shaking damages perfume because it can "damage" the molecules, etc).

The most important factors are:

(1) Reduce temperature to reduce the rate of chemical reaction. This is a consequence of the Arrhenius Equation.
    (2) Reduce exposure to radiation (e.g. infrared, visible spectrum, ultraviolet, higher frequencies) in order to minimize excited vibration and electronic molecular states in the component chemicals which can catalyze chemical reactions like polymerization and oxidation.
    (3) Avoid contamination of all kinds (e.g. skin particles and acids, condensation water, etc). This is less of an issue with non-splash bottles which are sealed.

If you first test some of your fragrance in the freezer, and do not see (1) permanent cloudiness occur (i.e. cloudiness which does not disappear upon reheating to room temperature and mild shaking) or (2) a phase transition (i.e. actual freezing into a solid form, which should not happen if the alcohol content is high), then you can probably store the fragrance in the freezer without damage. Naturally, do not confuse condensation on the outside of the frozen container with cloudiness.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 5th August 2008 at 08:24 AM.

No, I can't. Only that I've heard that fluctuating temperatures are more damaging than a constant temperature. I should have mentioned that in my post that it is what I've heard and is not, as far as I know or can prove, fact. Sorry!