Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Perfume Storage

Default Re: Fragrance storage Q's

Invest in a small wine/beverage refrigerator. I bought one by Avanti for $130. Very, very quiet and keeps the juice at 55 degrees.
    My motto for life: "If you have to choose, choose BOTH."

Default Fragrance storage

Hi, All! (Particularly those who remember me).

It's been a while, for several reasons. But once a question arises - I know where to go.

Anyway, the question: I need to store some perfume. Not icky modern stuff, but vintage. Some of it is opened, some of it - sealed.

I was thinking of buying one of those beverage mini-fridges, but have since been leaning towards a wine mini-cellar. As there are a lot of collectors among you (including those with special storage arrangements), I wanted your advice.

On the one hand, the wine mini-cellars are more attractive, but I am concerned that the glass doors do no necessarily work for the proper light filtering. However, the temperature settings option makes me feel all warm and fuzzy (btw, what is the optimal temperature for storing perfume? - not sure the mini-cellars have that temperature).

I was also thinking of getting a conventional mini-fridge, but they're kinda big, and as I will be storing my perfume in the bedroom, it'll look weird (and will probably be noisy).

Any and all suggestions are very welcome. Please bear in mind that I live in a one-bedroom Manhattan apartment - large for Manhattan, a shoebox for any other place.

Very many thanks in advance!

P.S. Posting to the Male forum out of habit. As I remember, it was way more active than the female one, plus it were the males who displayed their collections stored in the way I would like to store mine, so I know you guys know what I'm talking about.

P.P.S. Yes, I've read all the threads I found about storage.
    Last edited by FroFro; 12th September 2008 at 08:55 PM.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Morning Star

Default Re: Fragrance storage

Quote Originally Posted by FroFro View Post
    Anyway, the question: I need to store some perfume. Not icky modern stuff, but vintage. Some of it is opened, some of it - sealed.

I was thinking of buying one of those beverage mini-fridges, but have since been leaning towards a wine mini-cellar. As there are a lot of collectors among you (including those with special storage arrangements), I wanted your advice.

P.P.S. Yes, I've read all the threads I found about storage.
    I just counted 20 threads with the word "storage" in the title and containing a total of 198 postings. So you read all of them, and none of them answered your questions? Really?

I use a wine cooler, and keep the temp @ 54.0 f. I believe that is the general consensus on what the temp should be. My wine cooler does have a glass door, but it is tinted, and it is kept in a position where direct sunlight doesn't get in, and most fragrances are in their original boxes anyways. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Maz24; 13th September 2008 at 02:17 AM.

Blog Entries

For old vintage, I'm lazy, cheap, and hard-core on the cold and dark. Old basement fridge, in their boxes. Hillbilly Osmothèque. Obviously the big white fridge would look unsightly in your case. I am thinking about a wine cooler for my bedroom frags, so your plan seems reasonable. Remember - light is 90% of the problem, according to Luca Turin. If you use a wine cooler, keep them in their boxes, or cover the door somehow. Don't let your solution for the 10% part (cold) ruin the solution for the 90% part (dark). I plan to keep my wine cooler in a totally dark closet.

PS - just another data point on light versus heat. I was looking at Dior Homme Sport at Sephora, and was shocked to see that the color of the tester sample which had been sitting under the fluorescent light on the display shelf was completely different from that of a newer sample sitting on an aisle display unit, with no direct light. The color had faded substantially in the one sitting inches from a fluorescent light. There was - IMO - no significant difference in odor.....yet.

There was also a great thread recently on the UV/light issue. I am sure a simple search would find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    I use a wine cooler, and keep the temp @ 54.0 f.
    Really stupid follow-up - the racks in those are (the ones I've seen, anyway) formed to hold bottles (i.e., they're not level, they have cradles for the bottles). Did you find new shelving or something?
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Remember - light is 90% of the problem, according to Luca Turin. If you use a wine cooler, keep them in their boxes, or cover the door somehow.
    My bedroom is pretty dark - I seldom open the drapes. And of course those that have boxes, I intend to keep in the boxes. I have to say, the glass door is part of the pluses for me - I'd like to display them, as well, as I like looking at them. Silly, I know.

The coolers I've seen have a tinted door (as far as I know, wine doesn't love light that much, either). Is that not enough protection from light?
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    There was also a great thread recently on the UV/light issue. I am sure a simple search would find it.
    Thanks. Must've missed it.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I just counted 20 threads with the word "storage" in the title and containing a total of 198 postings. So you read all of them, and none of them answered your questions? Really?
    I like the attention.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Hillbilly Osmothèque.
    I love your posts.

Really stupid follow-up - the racks in those are (the ones I've seen, anyway) formed to hold bottles (i.e., they're not level, they have cradles for the bottles). Did you find new shelving or something?
    I've wondered the same thing. It would seem you'd have to put a plate of glass or something fashioned to fit in the drawer slots to work around what comes with a wine cooler. I ran into this with my tiny fridge with just the flat wire racks, so I have to keep the fragrances in a larger box on top of those wire shelves or else the fragrances wobble. There really ought to be a special fragrance fridge.

(And, as an aside, I've learned a lot from this thread.)

If you really want a small fridge I think Target et al have ones that are about 1 cubic foot that wouldn't take up too much space in your bedroom- it could fit under a nightstand.

Not sure how noisy it would be though

You could go to home depot and make straight ones with plexi glass/plastic, but I took out all the racks but the top one, which is formed, but since the boxes are squares it is not a problem. I just keep the fragrances in their boxes, so light doesn't hit them, and I keep them laying on their backs, that way they do not fall into the cradles. if you need an example here are some pics of some of my collection...will add the rest of the collection later.

Last edited by Maz24; 15th September 2008 at 07:16 AM. Reason: New pic added

Quote Originally Posted by tmp00 View Post
    If you really want a small fridge I think Target et al have ones that are about 1 cubic foot that wouldn't take up too much space in your bedroom- it could fit under a nightstand.

I just was in Target today--they had a 6 or 8 bottle wine cooler/fridge for $80. They also had the dorm fridges, but my experience with those is that they get bad ice buildup on the freezer compartment. I used to store my photography film in a dorm fridge. It is way more humid than a wine fridge, and not in a good way, because the boxes can get really mealy and saggy.

Oh, and speaking of shelves, Home Depot can custom cut those Closet Maid wire shelves to fit.
    Last edited by Asha; 14th September 2008 at 01:20 AM.

I found a 1.6 somewhere (Wallmart?) without a freezer (not looking forward to defrosting one in my bedroom, of all places), very good size, flat back, but it's a very un-bedroom kinda white. Plus, again, I'm concerned with the noise - usually the cheaper ones make quite a bit.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

You could go to home depot and make straight ones with plexi glass/plastic, but I took out all the racks but the top one, which is formed, but since the boxes are squares it is not a problem. I just keep the fragrances in their boxes, so light doesn't hit them, and I keep them laying on their backs, that way they do not fall into the cradles. if you need an example here are some pics of some of my collection...will add the rest of the collection later.
    I'm impressed

Great idea about Home Depot. I'm usually bright enough to think of those myself - in fact, I'm ashamed that I didn't.

Thanks, all you've written is very helpful to me!
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

I just was in Target today--they had a 6 or 8 bottle wine cooler/fridge for $80. They also had the dorm fridges, but my experience with those is that they get bad ice buildup on the freezer compartment. I used to store my photography film in a dorm fridge. It is way more humid than a wine fridge, and not in a good way, because the boxes can get really mealy and saggy.

Oh, and speaking of shelves, Home Depot can custom cut those Closet Maid wire shelves to fit.
    Oh, definitely no freezer - I've only been looking at models without one. The thought of defrosting in my bedroom is completely horrid to me. And I have noticed that the smaller fridges are usually noisier - also not a very good idea in the bedroom.

I tried finding that UV thread and didn't find it. But I'll keep looking.

The Home Depot - yes, as I've said, I was ashamed I didn't think of it; probably leaning towards just having them cut flat plastic ones and putting them over the already installed shelves - I think they'll be a bit more stable.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

I'm impressed

Great idea about Home Depot. I'm usually bright enough to think of those myself - in fact, I'm ashamed that I didn't.

Thanks, all you've written is very helpful to me!
    You are welcome , that is what we are here for!

Oh, definitely no freezer - I've only been looking at models without one. The thought of defrosting in my bedroom is completely horrid to me. And I have noticed that the smaller fridges are usually noisier - also not a very good idea in the bedroom.

I tried finding that UV thread and didn't find it. But I'll keep looking.

The Home Depot - yes, as I've said, I was ashamed I didn't think of it; probably leaning towards just having them cut flat plastic ones and putting them over the already installed shelves - I think they'll be a bit more stable.
    I have seen a few of the target coolers, ie...emerson, and they are ok, but for a few dollars more you could purchase a nice one from Bevmo. By the way, I would not recommend getting the cuisinart because they have a lot of complaints.....just do a google search on consumer complaints and you can see for yourself...:-)
    Last edited by Maz24; 14th September 2008 at 04:56 AM.

Did you really read all of the threads as I wondered about this issue recently and I found ALOT of information??? I don't believe you read all the threads. Come on!
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 14th September 2008 at 05:03 AM.

I have seen a few of the target coolers, ie...emerson, and they are ok, but for a few dollars more you could purchase a nice one from Bevmo. By the way, I would not recommend getting the cuisinart because they have a lot of complaints.....just do a google search on consumer complaints and you can see for yourself...:-)
    Yeah, I'm not looking at Cuisinart - never been a fan. I'd rather go a bit on the high-end side.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Did you really read all of the threads as I wondered about this issue recently and I found ALOT of information??? I don't believe you read all the threads.
    Do you really think that posting this reply was necessary? Particularly as this is the second of its kind.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by lushsoup View Post
    There really ought to be a special fragrance fridge.

(And, as an aside, I've learned a lot from this thread.)
    Excellent idea! I'm surprised they've not come up with one yet. Basenotes project, perhaps?
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Do you really think that posting this reply was necessary? Particularly as this is the second of its kind.
    Yes. It is very important to use the search function, there have been numerous threads on the issue of using the search function. This is a very popular topic (stroage) that has been covered in depth over 20 times. Now we have 21 times. Plus, you stated that you "merely liked the attention," this is inappropriate.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 14th September 2008 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Yes. It is very important to use the search function, there have been numerous threads on the issue of using the search function.
    And I did. But I will tell you right now, I'm not going to use the search function to search for threads on the search function.

But thanks for your input.
    Last edited by FroFro; 14th September 2008 at 05:21 AM.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

I have to say that the negative attention placed on Fro Fro's searching is daunting. It feels attacking and unnecessary in what is suppose to be a group of friends with like interests. Maybe this is a subject, like many, that can be answered with proper searching (which in itself is it's own art), but honestly the criticism of it makes me feel uncomfortable about starting a thread myself.

I've learned things from this thread--which I possibly could have learned from proper searching, yes--but I do appreciate storage issues being brought up now just because it is interesting and new people may have different takes on the same, if stale, subject.

I'm a newbie and enjoyed this thread. I particularly appreciate the seasoned fellow Basenoters' willingness to offer their opinions and suggestions.

One aspect of participating in the community forum is active participation in a subject that can be isolating. Why else would the SOTD threads be so well-attended? I agree there is a line, perhaps a delicate line, between beginning rehashed thread subject material and beginning lively and engaging threads. But if we are to remain an active community we must allow for the possibility of repetition or the community is potentially useless and could just be a reference tool. Isolation is not the point of a community.

I'm sure even my remarks here have been voiced before and are thereby superfluous had I done adequate searching. I'll certainly pay more attention to learning proper searching, as I don't really want to incur anyone's wrath and condemnation.

Last edited by lushsoup; 14th September 2008 at 06:32 AM.

I have to say that the negative attention placed on Fro Fro's searching is daunting. It feels attacking and unnecessary in what is suppose to be a group of friends with like interests. Maybe this is a subject, like many, that can be answered with proper searching (which in itself is it's own art), but honestly the criticism of it makes me feel uncomfortable about starting a thread myself.

I've learned things from this thread--which I possibly could have learned from proper searching, yes--but I do appreciate storage issues being brought up now just because it is interesting and new people may have different takes on the same, if stale, subject.

I'm a newbie and enjoyed this thread. I particularly appreciate the seasoned fellow Basenoters' willingness to offer their opinions and suggestions.

One aspect of participating in the community forum is active participation in a subject that can be isolating. Why else would the SOTD threads be so well-attended? I agree there is a line, perhaps a delicate line, between beginning rehashed thread subject material and beginning lively and engaging threads. But if we are to remain an active community we must allow for the possibility of repetition or the community is potentially useless and could just be a reference tool. Isolation is not the point of a community.

I'm sure even my remarks here have been voiced before and are thereby superfluous had I done adequate searching. I'll certainly pay more attention to learning proper searching, as I don't really want to incur anyone's wrath and condemnation.

First, of all welcome to Basenotes!
    and second, please do not feel uncomfortable starting a new thread about a question you may have. I feel that this is what we are here to do, to not only share our love for fragrances, but also to help others out with their love for fragrances. This is just my opinion, I hope this hasn't offended anyone.

Morning Star

I have to say that the negative attention placed on Fro Fro's searching is daunting. It feels attacking and unnecessary in what is suppose to be a group of friends with like interests.
    I don't think I was very negative in my tone. I only posted once, and was not overtly accusatory.

Concerning the topic of storage, fragrances are solutions of organic compounds which evolve over time according to well-established laws of chemical kinetics. Most of what people read about this subject on the web is not grounded in any scientific fact. Department store SAs know nothing about this science either, and would actually prefer you to drop your bottle in the parking lot and then come back in to buy another, bigger one. You can get some solid science on this subject by reading through the following threads:

temperature, inert gas protection
    temperature
    temperature, effect of condensation
    damage from light
    inert gas protection, with some input from Luca Turin on light vs. temperature factors

...Maybe this is a subject, like many, that can be answered with proper searching (which in itself is it's own art), but honestly the criticism of it makes me feel uncomfortable about starting a thread myself.

I'm a newbie and enjoyed this thread. I particularly appreciate the seasoned fellow Basenoters' willingness to offer their opinions and suggestions...
    I'm not sure it's appropriate for me to welcome you to Basenotes, as I've been out of touch for a long while, so could very well be considered a newbie myself - many new names, many new...er...approaches.

But let me assure you that you should never (I think...) feel reluctant to ask questions here, as the vast majority - in my experience - are very helpful and generous with their own experiences. There will always be a few who will either rub you the wrong way, or who will feel you're rubbing them the wrong way - that's par for the course in any community.

The good part is that your post moved Astaroth to be more constructive in his criticism of my searching abilities and actually provide a few links to relevant topics (threads not exactly answering my questions - how I see them - but very helpful nonetheless).

If I may offer a suggestion - take potential criticisms with a dollop of humor. Maybe they had acid indigestion when they posted or were just in a bad mood. Happens to the best of us.

I'm sure they mean well.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Thank you, all were quite helpful (some of them I've seen already). I think I was more interested in practical solutions (like the shelving question - a total DUH! moment once it was answered - and maybe recommendations of specific appliances people had good experience with - note the noise factor, which is very important as this will be placed in the bedroom).

Again, many thanks on taking the trouble of searching out the appropriate threads - missed at least one of them.
    Last edited by FroFro; 14th September 2008 at 03:11 PM.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

And I did. But I will tell you right now, I'm not going to use the search function to search for threads on the search function.

But thanks for your input.
    In defense of searching the old threads---there was a new "policy" put in recently about this. Newbies are kindly asked to check the FAQ's before posting a new thread. If a moderator feels the new thread is already covered in the FAQ's, it could be deleted.

Of course, the FAQ is a work in progress, and I have no idea if it has any links to the storage threads.

In defense of searching the old threads---there was a new "policy" put in recently about this. Newbies are kindly asked to check the FAQ's before posting a new thread. If a moderator feels the new thread is already covered in the FAQ's, it could be deleted.

Of course, the FAQ is a work in progress, and I have no idea if it has any links to the storage threads.
    Checked the FAQ before I posted initially - Grant's entry had 2 links on storage, both broken and lead to error pages (or forbidden, I forgot which).

I am not against searching threads - why would I mention it in my initial post otherwise?

Note the original post:
    I've read all the threads I found about storage.
    I didn't say I read through all the links on storage that there were on the forum, only those I found. Can't do more than that.

But, really, lets not have this become a thread about searching, which it is becoming. I was hoping this to be a thread of practical solutions and concrete recommendations.

P.S. Note date of registration. I may have been out of touch for a while, but a newbie - hardly.
    Last edited by FroFro; 14th September 2008 at 04:10 PM.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

I didn't say I read through all the links on storage that there were on the forum, only those I found. Can't do more than that.
    Clever words, I see. Really a great moment--a question about storage--to be slicing through exact meanings and, maybe I should say, misleading suggestions.

There are several threads and lenthy ones already available. You suggested you'd read those. Dollops of humor are very nice, but dollops of humility are nice too. Sometimes members find getting the information and answers to their questions to be valuable, sometimes members find having their own thread about their question to be what's valuable to them. If reading members can suggest you find the information that they and others like them have already posted to the forum, they're helping you to find the information you want.

I'll close this thread if it stays off topic. The search function is useful and respects the amounts of work members here have already put into it.

If members have further comments on the storage topic they can post them here, but I'll stop this thread from being a discussion of the site's seach feature and its use.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Well, I'm enjoying the thread- especially the photos of that spectacular collection- makes mine look miniscule! It's like a license to shop. No, a mandate to!

I just added a pic, to show how I just stack up the boxes on one another, on the lower shelves without the formed rack.

Here is a pic of how I just stack the fragrances....

And here is an old pic from a while ago at my old place, a lot more fragrances have been added to the collection since this was taken...

I was going to add custom made shelves but I was worried there wouldn't be enough room for everything, but I have seen some members with custom made shelves and they look great!
    Last edited by Maz24; 15th September 2008 at 07:33 AM.

Is there a way to link together all the 'fragrance storage' threads like all of the 'fake Creed' threads? Anyone know?

I just added a pic, to show how I just stack up the boxes on one another, on the lower shelves without the formed rack.

Here is a pic of how I just stack the fragrances....
    Oh, rub it in, why don't you! :-D

*turns green with envy*
    Last edited by FroFro; 15th September 2008 at 09:01 PM.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Oh, rub it in, why don't you! :-D

*turns green with envy*
    I'm sorry but I would love to see your collection, if you could post some pics of it. I am sure it is a nice collection....and by the way, I am not sure if you have seen the post a pic thread yet, but it is truly a wonderful thread! :-)
    Last edited by Maz24; 15th September 2008 at 09:12 PM.

I'm sorry but I would love to see your collection, if you could post some pics of it. I am sure it is a nice collection....and by the way, I am not sure if you have seen the post a pic thread yet, but it is truly a wonderful thread! :-)
    There was an old thread on collections - I was a very bright green for weeks after it. I try to stay away from those nowadays.

Mine is far more modest - I just buy those I like any time I chance to encounter them - and as they are old and discontinued and who knows how they were stored before I got them, I thought giving them a chance in a cooler would be a good idea.

I just use a tv turntable for mine and keep them on the top of my dresser. Very convenient - you can turn it and easily access all of them. I only have a very old picture, I've probably doubled (if not tripled) since then (to the point of keeping some fragrances in a box under the bed). A TV turntable can't hold them all.

Once I figure out the storage issue, I'll definitely take a picture - although it'll be embarrassingly tiny compared to some people's walk-in closets of fragrances.
    Last edited by FroFro; 15th September 2008 at 10:14 PM.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Well, I'm enjoying the thread- especially the photos of that spectacular collection- makes mine look miniscule! It's like a license to shop. No, a mandate to!
    Thank you. I am sure you have a good looking collection. You should post some pics of it :-)

Blog Entries

Question Fragrance Archival questions.

I have searched here on base notes and found some information on archival storage of frags. Some threads agree some differ so, let me ask now for a more up to date response. I store my fragrances in frost free refrigerators at 53 (+-) degrees F or for the rest of the world 11.66 C. What is the lowest frag. temperature without damage and is the before mentioned temperature ideal or, if not, what is? Also, do body lotions suffer or benefit from the same storage? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 3rd April 2009 at 01:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fragrance Archival questions.

I really would appreciate this information.

I've had fragrances delivered to my home in the middle of winter when the temps were close to or below 0F without damaging them. I worked as an analytical chemist that used many temperature sensitive materials (way more sensitive than anything in frags) and we would store them in a lab freezer, sometimes for years with little or no degradation.

I think you have very little to worry about with cold temperatures. If you really want to get the scoop on the archival storage of fine fragrances call or write to the Osmotheque in Grasse.
    Last edited by surreality; 4th April 2009 at 04:04 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Blog Entries

I use a normal refrigerator. Especially for "archival" purposes, I think it's fine. Like surreality, we used refrigerators and freezers in the lab for all sorts of cold storage of highly reactive substances - solid and liquid - without problems.

I just checked my frag fridge: about 47 degrees F. I could go lower, but I prefer not to bother with things like plastic bags (to limit condensation when I warm them up). I like the convenience of making vintage samples for people without much effort other than letting the bottles come to room temperature before decanting.

I guess that's my point - you will not damage your frags by low temperatures per se. Low temperatures make the frags last longer, period. It's the incidental stuff from hypercooling that can ruin your day. Unwanted condensation. Oiling and freezing. Non-functional seals.

I'm not sure what the temperature limits on balms and lotions are, but they have to be more stringent than the limits on alcohol-based fragrances, because these things depend more on physical form for their effectiveness. I would be hesitant to cool them too much.

Default Basic Storage

Hi just a quick basic storage question. Does storing a frag lying down on its side for long periods of time cause it to leak? Is it even advisable?
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 22nd April 2009 at 08:55 AM.

Default Re: Basic Storage

I've never thought about this before but now that you bring it up I'm curious. I do know I've seen several fragrances that are designed to lay on their side and Rochas Man is even upside down so the weight of the liquid falls to the bottle's opening.

Rochas Man:
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121369.html
    .Dave J

Bottles should not leak if left lying on their side. I'm certain this is taken into consideration because people want to be able to travel with their fragrance packed away. If you can't lay it down, you can't pack it in a bag. Samples on the other hand will leak depending on the type of vile and stopper lid (Cereus).
    Last edited by danho; 22nd April 2009 at 03:56 PM.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Blog Entries

Most fragrance bottles are no problem, especially designer scents (the bottles tend to be very robust), but some niche scents have crappy, leaky spray mechanisms. I won't name names, but you can't always trust them.

If you find that there is any leakage when a bottle is shipped to you, be very careful. It is possible that it has a leaky or poorly designed spray assembly.

If it has a leak in the sprayer, watch out. laying it down could be very bad. Also, if there is a change in temperature or pressure, then upright is the way to go. For example, if you use a refrigerator for your stuff, then upright is much safer.

Thanks for the opinions. I decided against laying the bottles on its side when storing.

My Creed and L'artisan bottles all leak if they're left laying on their side. I found this out when I was traveling and had the bottles stored in my luggage. While most bottles shouldn't leak, it's better not to take that chance unless you have to.

Lets say a bottle is left laying on its side for a long period of time (maybe 6 months to 1 year), the atomizer will be in constant contact with the juice. So would it actually cause any kind of build up or residue to form in the atomizer that will clog the sprayer?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Lets say a bottle is left laying on its side for a long period of time (maybe 6 months to 1 year), the atomizer will be in constant contact with the juice. So would it actually cause any kind of build up or residue to form in the atomizer that will clog the sprayer?
    Unlikely, but theoretically possible. If there was leakage that was actually going out the normal mechanism, with evaporation, then it could clog it. However, I think you're more likely to see leakage elsewhere in the system if you lay it down, e.g., around the sides of the spray-head assembly.

It's really a very individual thing. I have fragrances that have rested on their sides for long periods of time without any problems. Others, I wouldn't even try, because I've detected some kind of leakage around the top, and I wouldn't take the chance.

Dependent

This happened to my adg(the collar ripped off and still attached to the cap in case u cant see the diff), and i know it leaks coz i tried tilting it and small but definite amount juice slipped out.... keep them standing upright Jon, thats my advice...
    Last edited by MFJ; 7th May 2009 at 07:20 PM.

For example, if you use a refrigerator for your stuff, then upright is much safer.
    Is it advised to refrigerate? I had read it somewhere so I put a bottle of Angel in the fridge. Then I read another place that it's not a good idea to do it, so I immediately removed it.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I refrigerate my fragrances without any resulting problems. But the main thing is to keep your fragrances out of the light.

Thanks, 30 Roses I had a bottle of Angel Le Lys in the fridge for a few days and it didn't seem to have hurt it. I got nervous though because the bottle was so wet and I thought that might not be a good thing (?) I have it along with my other fragrances in my closet for now. Do yours seem to last longer, storing them in the refrigerator?

matthewfoo,

noted. I do keep mine standing up. I was considering laying them on the side to save storage space. But i'll just stick to storing them standing up.

I can not attest to bottles leaking. I know I have a whole bunch of sample atomizers that I have collected and they were laying on their side for a good 6-8 months without me using them. When I went to check the status of them, alot leaked out all their juice and went completely dry.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by KingMillions View Post
    I can not attest to bottles leaking. I know I have a whole bunch of sample atomizers that I have collected and they were laying on their side for a good 6-8 months without me using them. When I went to check the status of them, alot leaked out all their juice and went completely dry.

Thats a disaster! feel for you. I do have atomizers and they are layed on tdown, but have never experienced leakage. I believe its the quality of the my atomizers, got mine from SASA and they really have great ones. i could understand if just 1-2 leaked, but if most did, then its definitely a quality issue. For me they are usually meant to be carried around, on the move etc, would hate for them to leak in my bag or pants.

I use a normal refrigerator. Especially for "archival" purposes, I think it's fine. Like surreality, we used refrigerators and freezers in the lab for all sorts of cold storage of highly reactive substances - solid and liquid - without problems.

I just checked my frag fridge: about 47 degrees F. I could go lower, but I prefer not to bother with things like plastic bags (to limit condensation when I warm them up). I like the convenience of making vintage samples for people without much effort other than letting the bottles come to room temperature before decanting.

I guess that's my point - you will not damage your frags by low temperatures per se. Low temperatures make the frags last longer, period. It's the incidental stuff from hypercooling that can ruin your day. Unwanted condensation. Oiling and freezing. Non-functional seals.

I'm not sure what the temperature limits on balms and lotions are, but they have to be more stringent than the limits on alcohol-based fragrances, because these things depend more on physical form for their effectiveness. I would be hesitant to cool them too much.
    regarding the condensation... I'm a little confused... do you take your frag out of the fridge and let it stay in room temperature and then use the frag or is it ok to spray after taking it direcntly out of the fridge? I'm still quite new to the whole keeping frags in fridge/wine coolers. Thank you.