Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Perfume Storage

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is there any benefit to keeping cologne in a fridge?

pluran; All your information is correct. The Osmotheque is where I got my info also. I have four dedicated refrigerators for my fragrances since summers here are quite typically in the late 90 and early 100 degrees F. Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Jean Kerleo was the in-house nose/perfumer at Patou from 1967 until 1998. He is also the founder of Osmotheque, the "living perfume museum" in Versailles.

A few years ago I contacted Osmotheque to see if they could provide clarification regarding fragrance storage, temperature, etc. I told them I kept my fragrances in a refrigerator. Their reply was as follows:

"Exactly. This can appear strange, but you must store your perfume in the rerigerator, safe from light, and in the cold." They recommend a temperature of 10 degrees celsius for most fragrances, and 4 degrees celsius for citrus fragrances.

10° Celsius = 50° Fahrenheit
    4° Celsius = 39° Fahrenheit

Osmotheque goes further, in using something like argon gas to seal the bottles/cannisters they use, but for me the info above is pretty much the last word on the subject.

Where I live on the coast it's very cool (average summer temp of 65F and low-mid 50's at night), so a wine refrigerator isn't critical, but I still use one for certain fragrances. But if I lived in a relatively warm place, I would probably keep everything in one.

Default Cologne Storage.

I know this has been discussed before, but where do most of you store your colognes?

Mine are just in my closet in a nice dark spot. I have colognes I've had for over 10+ years. Do you guys use fridges or anything special?

Thanks!

Default Re: Cologne Storage.

on a shelf. life is too short to hide them away.

They are on my dresser. I keep my samples and such in a small basket right next to them

In my dark, dark cabinet!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    In my dark, dark cabinet!
    The FragCave?

I store the fragrances in my rotation in their original boxes on a shelf in a room that's not heated. The ones that fell out of the rotation (including samples) are stored together in a bigger box. The few I have without any box, I have trapped between the boxes of the others so that there's only very little exposure to light (and the room itself is barely lit anyway).

Dependent

I booked marked this one http://www.basenotes.net/threads/191...hiller-Freezer

Check out Pluran's post. Hope this helps!

Temperature and light controlled walk-in fragrance storage room.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    I booked marked this one http://www.basenotes.net/threads/191...hiller-Freezer

Check out Pluran's post. Hope this helps!
    This makes me want to get a mini fridge! HAHA

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Mistawho View Post
    This makes me want to get a mini fridge! HAHA
    Yeah, it might be a little over the top for some, but just to be safe, I guess it makes sense to spend a little bit more on preservation, if you're already spending heaps of fragrances, and intend to store them for a long time.

Okay guys! I'm crazy... I just purchased a Danby Dar259 fridge strictly for my colognes! HAHAHA

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/191...of-Your-Scents

This is where I saw the Malle fridge in temperature of 13.4 degrees.

Last edited by volley2; 19th October 2010 at 04:20 AM.

I'll probably invest in a fridge when I have a larger collection. If I ever get one all that big anyway. I'm still pretty finicky
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Blog Entries

I kept them in a plastic drawer in my absement that stays relatively the same temperature...if only the humidity was stable

Does humidity play any role in damaging fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Does humidity play any role in damaging fragrances?
    I can't think of any danger for the juice inside properly closed bottles. The boxes and possibly some non-glass or non-plastic parts of the bottles can suffer from the humidity (like peeling lables or molding cardboard).

I used to be pretty paranoid and keep them on a shelf where the light didn't hit it at all. The actual light doesn't affect fragrances (imo based on experiences); rather direct sunlight, uv rays, and humidity. After all uv rays are cancerous; so just imagine what they do to our fragrances. As for now, I keep my fragrances on my dresser, which is conveniently away from the window.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I used to be pretty paranoid and keep them on a shelf where the light didn't hit it at all. The actual light doesn't affect fragrances (imo based on experiences); rather direct sunlight, uv rays, and humidity. After all uv rays are cancerous; so just imagine what they do to our fragrances. As for now, I keep my fragrances on my dresser, which is conveniently away from the window.
    I do the same thing. It's fairly dark in my room considering my window is right beneath a huge tree branch, so it doesn't effect my frags in any way possible. Seems a bit needless to run electricity to "store" your frags. UGH

Keep cool guys, the temperature has a minor incidence and it must have be for long time with heavy warmness.
    If you are using bottle in 1 or 2 years of a relativly recent stuff i'm convincted (talked of that with an industrial perfumer chemist) that you can put it where you want you won't smell any change (just avoid the extremes).
    I think the most problematic thing is for the splash bottle, you put active oxygen in it evry time you open them.. of course there is anti oxydant in the perfume but every time you use it. I'll recommend to avoid to open your splash bottles evry day, put a large quantity in a decant is a better solution imo.

Who needs electricity anyway? A true collector saves that money and goes for new fragrances instead. No electricity = no light -> longer shelf life for your babies. No heater -> even longer shelf live!!!

Typical collector's home.

All this talk is making me paranoid.....SAVE THE FRAGS!!!
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Blog Entries

I used to keep them on my dresser top, which was never in direct light. The top notes on my favorite perfumes went bad in 2-3 years. One was the perfume I wore when I was married, so I was particularly disappointed about its loss.

After that, I began storing the perfumes in the spare fridge in the basement. I decanted into 5 ml atomizers that I kept in my dresser drawer. These take up less space than full size bottles, and have the added benefit of being easy to take along, to refresh my SotD or for travel.

Then last year we finally bought a mini fridge for our bedroom-- partly to liberate space in our basement fridge for actual food, LOL! Since we began refrigerating, none have gone bad.

As to light being the sole culprit, over the past 3 years I bought on eBay 2-- yes, 2 (I apparently didn't learn my lesson the first time) bottles of my wedding perfume on eBay, still sealed/never exposed to light. Both had gone bad anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Yeah i never fully understood the whole "out of light thing". UV rays are extremely dangerous to all molecules, as you said, so i get the whole direct sunlight thing. But lights in your house? its just particles, photons, not highly dangerous wavelengths

I have my fragrances on top of my dresser in my bedroom for now. No sunlight ever hits them & the heat factor is not a problem. I'm looking buy a curio to put them in & display my collection. The last thing I want to do is hide them away in a dark room or a fridge. Since I have a large collection & never wear the same scent more than two days in a row, I only always buy the smaller bottles (1.7, 2.5) never the big bottles. If I bought the big ones they'd last me 6 years & I know the juice would be bad by then.

That's it.... I'm building a bomb shelter type lead lined, cement poured walls, deep freeze unit far underground to keep my colognes safe in case of a nuclear war....the heck with ammo and food rations. It'll be me smelling great and a bunch of cockroaches after everyone else is gone. In case one woman survives the the end of the world for me to repopulate the planet at least I'll be ready and smell good for her.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Originally posted by Narcus.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post

Originally posted by Narcus.
    That's quite the investment.

Dependent

^^ :-D It belongs to one of the Malle counters/stores. Look right at the top of the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Yeah i never fully understood the whole "out of light thing".
    A Chanel no 5 in a local fragrances store had turned green because of the exposing of direct sunlight. But then again it was in "heavy" sunlight.

If you go to the current Post A Picture Of Your Scents thread, mine are in a double cupboard with blacked out doors - if you see on the left, you can see some of the blackout cloth used. My bedroom, much to my girlfriend's irritation, never has the heating on (I don't like sleeping in a heated room, it gets too stuffy) and I have no problems with the life of my fragrances.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

DeepSilence

In a drawer, under my hay/couch. There is nearest place to me!

Well, i bought a Danby Fridge 259. I placed all my 40 colognes in there. The highest temperature i can get it to is about 42 degrees F. It's been about a week now.

I wish someone knowledgeable would address the issue of temperature cycling in refrigerators, especially the "mini fridge" units.

A typical household refrigerator will warm to three or four degrees above the set point before the refrigeration kicks in and brings it down to three or four degrees below the set point. Thus it cycles six to eight degrees. Even if you don't open the door during the day, it will make this cycle three to six times per day typically. The "mini fridge" units are often the worst offenders.

This is murder on wine, for example; it's better for wine to be a little warm than to be cycled like that. But I don't know, and would like to know, what affect it has on perfumes long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by Gollnick View Post
    I wish someone knowledgeable would address the issue of temperature cycling in refrigerators, especially the "mini fridge" units.

A typical household refrigerator will warm to three or four degrees above the set point before the refrigeration kicks in and brings it down to three or four degrees below the set point. Thus it cycles six to eight degrees. Even if you don't open the door during the day, it will make this cycle three to six times per day typically. The "mini fridge" units are often the worst offenders.

This is murder on wine, for example; it's better for wine to be a little warm than to be cycled like that. But I don't know, and would like to know, what affect it has on perfumes long-term.
    I have a thermostat in there and have been monitoring every now and then. It's a constant 42-43 degrees F. There are many other users here you have placed their fragrances in the fridge like mine for many many years. 8+ years.

Default Am thinking of a fridge for storage, am I crazy?

I own mostly designer fragrances, thinking of buying a second hand fridge to store my fragrance collection as they get larger and larger. Summer is coming and my bedroom is becoming a greenhouse e.g. my Kenzo Power, or A*Men metal bottle is getting the heat when I touched it. Hence the idea of buying a fridge. At the moment I'm storing it in a cool dark place downstairs away from sunlight and heat. But I still think a fridge would be a worthy long term storage?

Am I over-reacting?

What is an ideal temperature to store fragrances? Do fragrances turn bad only due to sunlight or to the normal room light as well?

Default Re: Am thinking of a fridge for storage, am I crazy?

Well, I believe even roomlight makes fragrances go bad, at least I've seen fragrances that have never seen sunlight get discolored under strong lighting. As for the fridge, it's not a bad investment, sometimes I feel it's an over-kill, but hey it's your call to determine if it's worth it. But remember, heat is bad for fragrances, but so is extreme cooling, I'd say about 8-12 degrees celcius is ideal. I'd be more worried about light than heat anyway.

Blog Entries

My husband and I use a fridge for our fragrances. We were using the spare one in our basement but finally bought a mini fridge that fits in our bedroom.

What started us doing this is that my perfumes were going bad on my dresser top (not in direct light); none has gone bad since we began doing this about 6 years ago.

I have read that the Osmothèque (fragrance museum) stores their perfumes at 50º F, and their citrus fragrances at 40º F.

However, I believe only a small minority of Basenoters store their perfumes in a fridge; many just use a dark cabinet or closet and find that adequate.

I have mine in a wine cooler in my bedroom in a controlled temperature of 13 degrees. Similar to this photo.

This is the reason why I put mine in 13.

If keeping the scents in the fridge is foolishness, then I am crazy for two and a half years.
    In terms of your collection, I think that is not so important what you currently have in your wardrobe, but what you are planning to buy in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses
    I have read that the Osmothèque (fragrance museum) stores their perfumes at 50º F, and their citrus fragrances at 40º F.
    Yes, and that’s the reason why I decided that the temperature in my refrigerator should be approximately 10ºC (50ºF).
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

I would caution that it's probably not the best idea to store wine and perfume together in a small, closed space... that is if you value the wine.

If you use your wine cooler only for fragrance products, then that's fine. But I have seen some folks suggest storing the two products together. It's probably ok for short-term, but not for anything over even a few months, I estimate. Wine "breaths" through the cork as it ages and strong odors (and what is perfume but a strong odor?) can ruin it.

Second-hand refrigerators are often available quite inexpensively. But think about not just the cost of buying it but also operating costs. Depending on your electric bill and climate, operating an older-model, full-sized fridge can cost four- to six-hundred dollars a year. A new-model, high-efficiency small fridge might cost more to buy, but may easily pay for itself in a matter of months. That yard-sale bargain may cost you dearly in the long-run. If you have a large collection, then you may need a full-size fridge... maybe even a walk-in. But if your collection is more modest, then keep in mind that refrigerated space is expensive to operate and so don't over-buy even if the inital acquisition cost isn't great.
    Last edited by Gollnick; 13th November 2010 at 04:43 AM.

Inside my wine cooler are just perfumes. No wine. For the record.

Not crazy at all. I store some bottles in a refrigerator and I'm thinking of getting a small one for my collection as well!

In case the previous discussions on this issue interest you...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/258...long-it-s-life
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/184...Furniture-item
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/246...e-refrigerator
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/241...tor-vs-Freezer

Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    Not crazy at all. I store some bottles in a refrigerator and I'm thinking of getting a small one for my collection as well!

In case the previous discussions on this issue interest you...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/258...long-it-s-life
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/184...Furniture-item
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/246...e-refrigerator
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/241...tor-vs-Freezer
    Thanks! Really helpful, will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    I have mine in a wine cooler in my bedroom in a controlled temperature of 13 degrees.

This is the reason why I put mine in 13.
    If Editions De Parfums does it, I guess there's a good justification hahaha...

Cool Re: Am thinking of a fridge for storage, am I crazy?

Of course you're crazy, but it's the madness of someone with excellent taste

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I'm kinda glad this topic has come up again. I recently picked up a mini fridge -- without a freezer section -- for my bottles. I set it on the lowest setting, which ran about 48F. Next day I popped it open, only to find everything covered in condensation. I kinda freaked out, thinking that all the paper labels (on the Aqua di Parma's, for example) would quickly be shot. So I simply unplugged the thing, and let everything gradually come back to room temp.

Any suggestions to combat the condensation? Or is it no big deal?

I love the mini fridge idea but...what is the "lifespan" of a fragrance that is put in a fridge compared to one that sits on your dresser?

Few months ago I planned to have a fridge for my wardrobe, but then in one thread, someone mentioned that it could be dangerous to the fragrances if you had a power outage resulting in a drastic temperature change.

I always store my fragrances in the original box, protecting them from light.

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Few months ago I planned to have a fridge for my wardrobe, but then in one thread, someone mentioned that it could be dangerous to the fragrances if you had a power outage resulting in a drastic temperature change.
    I was actually really wondering about this. For example are fragrances the same as some foods? I know that certain foods should not be re-frozen once they have been frozen once and thawed. If you have fragrance in a fridge and let it warm up for a while for some reason, then cool it again, will it harm the fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by philmcphe View Post
    If you have fragrance in a fridge and let it warm up for a while for some reason, then cool it again, will it harm the fragrance?
    No. At least not in any noticeable way.

13?! isnt 32 degrees freezing point?

Quote Originally Posted by remixx View Post
    13?! Isnt 32 degrees freezing point?
    13° Celsius

oo ok

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    No. At least not in any noticeable way.
    I think in the thread he did mention that it had happened to him and spoiled his fragrances. I'll see if I can find that post.

I think in the thread he did mention that it had happened to him and spoiled his fragrances. I'll see if I can find that post.
    I remember his posts about this, and it's truly weird to me. I've been refrigerating my fragrances for more than 20 years by now, and nothing bad has ever happened to any bottle. Despite being taken out of the fridge for a day or two, and then put back in. Let's just say that I'm willing to keep risking it...

The Osmotheque refrigerates, and if they can do it so can I.

Maybe we need a post pictures of your fridge thread

Quote Originally Posted by remixx View Post
    13?! isnt 32 degrees freezing point?
    I dont believe theres any water in there to be freeze at 0 degree celcius. Alcohol has a much lower freezing point. Im not sure about essential oil they put in there. =] With one exception is CB I hate perfume , water line.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Dependent

I think it was an English member Great_Badir.... I think...

To my mind, refrigerating scents is a complete and utter waste of time, money and energy.

It's ridiculuous - we have Basenoters from hot places like the Middle East, the Sub-Continent, South East Asia, South America and Australia who haven't reported scents going off from heat. I've had to put up with 40-47ºC days in summer, I don't have air conditioning (who needs it, I go to the beach on those days), and my scents are fine in my extremely hot house. And cars can get very hot - over 50ºC in the sun during hot days - and I haven't had any of the scents in mine go off.

And we had the example of a chap in the US, who found his dad's old scents in the cupboard under the kitchen sink, in a vacated house in Arizona, where they'd been sitting for 30 years - and they hadn't gone off.

So, why do people who live in temperate climates - where it snows at times of the year - think about putting their scents in fridges or coolers?

I do recollect experts like Luca Turin writing that heat wasn't the problem, but that sunlight was. And I recollect Michael Edwards stating how he always stores scents upside down, else the seals on the bottles can dry out and lead to spoiling the scents.

I think it's best to worry about real problems (sunlight and dried out seals) rather than problems that don't appear to be much of an issue with people for whom - if the premise is correct - it should be a major issue, but does not seem to be.
    Regards,
    Renato